HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Giroux signs 3 years extension ($11.25M)

Old
11-09-2010, 04:02 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Oh yeah for sure. At the time I would have preferred Markstrom over Carlson though, (before Bob and Ericsson)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:59 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You might want to look into that Gagne deal a little closer. It was supposed to be a salary dump and wasn't. He's paying Jody F'ing Shelley $1.1 million (massive overpayment) and the Flyers' defense is being paid somewhere in the neighbourhood of $22 million, if we include Matt Walker (currently injured but worth nowhere near his contract).

Homer has done a good job locking up some players (Richards, Giroux, Coburn), but the day is coming when the Flyers will be in cap hell. They're not there yet, but they're heading that way with a lot of longer term, high cap hit contracts (see Briere).
Shelley isn't a massive overpayment. Yoy may not like the acquisition but $1.1M for a top H/W is the going rate. At the most he is maybe $200,000 overpaid. If anything he only slightly overpays most players but that extra $300,000 to $500,000 for a bunch of players adds up over the course of a line up. His biggest problem was giving out the NMC/NTCs to players which he hasn't done recently.

The "sky is falling" routine with the Flyers cap situation is greatly exaggerated. Zherdev will be gone, O'Donnell and Carcillo will be gone and I think Kimmo's salary comes off when Giroux and JVR come up again. Either way there are plenty of alternatives for the Flyers and that's not including the cap going up.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Shelley isn't a massive overpayment. Yoy may not like the acquisition but $1.1M for a top H/W is the going rate. At the most he is maybe $200,000 overpaid. If anything he only slightly overpays most players but that extra $300,000 to $500,000 for a bunch of players adds up over the course of a line up. His biggest problem was giving out the NMC/NTCs to players which he hasn't done recently.

The "sky is falling" routine with the Flyers cap situation is greatly exaggerated. Zherdev will be gone, O'Donnell and Carcillo will be gone and I think Kimmo's salary comes off when Giroux and JVR come up again. Either way there are plenty of alternatives for the Flyers and that's not including the cap going up.
Players that bring no value are overpaid when you hand them a crumpled up dollar bill, and Shelley has SOME worth but it's worth much more than that.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:06 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFKessSnipes View Post
Fair opinion - I just dont see the player most people on here do. I see a lot of skill but I don't see him earning 3.75m for any of the years on this contract. I wouldn't expect many to agree though because its really hard to bet against that much skill, on that team.
I am a Flyers fan and a Giroux fan but I agree he is "slightly" overpaid. While he is a slick and talented player he still hasn't paid a consistent goal scorer before this season.

I think he is a $3MM player at this point but $3.75MM isn't outrageous for a core player on a cup contending team.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingMajor View Post
wow, i can understand trash talk from a hawks or pens fan when it comes to winning, but a rangers fan?
Flyers fan first. Lundqvist/Zetterberg/Lidstrom fan second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Someone sure seems sore. I wonder why? seriously why so negative?
Because I know exactly what'll happen the moment Giroux begins to plateau. He and everything he's ever done will be thrown to the wolves. The same applies to Jeff Carter, Scott Hartnell, and even Kimmo Timonen. No matter how hard they've worked in the offseason behind closed doors, no matter how much blood they've left on the ice, it'll never be enough. Hence the dangers of expectations left unchecked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post

Shelley's a 34-year old heavyweight with a career high of ten points. His contract is a kind of ****** we haven't seen out of Holmgren since he signed Jones to a 300% raise in order to avoid arbitration.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:11 AM
habs_24x

Overpayment for Giroux at this time in his carreer. I have no doubt hes a keeper but why pay so much when hes just getting off his entry contract?

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Overpayment for Giroux at this time in his carreer. I have no doubt hes a keeper but why pay so much when hes just getting off his entry contract?
Seriously?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:50 AM
HFKessSnipes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Giroux is one of the most overrated players on HF boards, just warning you that you might get flamed for saying that.

I agree, he's getting overpaid based on future potential.

HFKessSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Giroux is one of the most overrated players on HF boards, just warning you that you might get flamed for saying that.

That video doesn't even have his assists. Goal-scoring is probably what he's weakest at.

People who say that Giroux is overrated don't watch him. It's as simple as that.

I don't think he has been unfairly evaluated or even overhyped by the Flyers' fanbase. They know exactly what his peak is, and it's pretty reasonable.

Suddenly all of HFboards has seen Giroux, and now he's no longer "overrated," except by a few stragglers who feel like making a point without knowing what point they're making.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Start Leighton*

If anybody hasn't seen this just prepare to be jealous.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:23 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:

Kessel can score 50 goals right?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:

So much fail.

Bozak >>>>>> Anisimov, right?

11-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:

and Bozak is making 3.725M based on?

I wish we had him..

Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-11-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old
11-11-2010, 09:49 AM
HFKessSnipes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
and Bozak is making 3.725M based on?

I wish we had him..
Is that the best you can do? If you searched my post history, you would see that I agree...good try though

Old
11-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Is that the best you can do? If you searched my post history, you would see that I agree...good try though
Kid received a decent contract, you called him "the most overrated player on HF boards" . You have some strange way agreeing with people. (not that I give a ****)

Old
11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
HFKessSnipes*

Quote:
Kid received a decent contract, you called him "the most overrated player on HF boards" . You have some strange way agreeing with people. (not that I give a ****)
His contract has nothing to do with him being overrated. His being overrated is why he is overrated.

And I dont doubt that Bozak is not close to Giroux, but I think Bozak is overpaid as well.

Old
11-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
His contract has nothing to do with him being overrated. His being overrated is why he is overrated.

And I dont doubt that Bozak is not close to Giroux, but I think Bozak is overpaid as well.
Fine, I'll bite. Lets hear it. Overrated based on what then?

Quote:
Thats not what you meant.. You called Giroux overrated and said that he is getting overpaid based on future potential.

Old
11-11-2010, 10:35 AM
HFKessSnipes*

I think Giroux is OVERRATED by FANS on the board.

I think Giroux is OVERPAID based on his POTENTIAL.

Make sense? I don't care if you disagree with me, thats what makes the board interesting, but please, if you want to keep playing this game of back and forth, at least understand that there are two different concepts here.

Old
11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Kaktus*

So you could not tell me why you think he is overrated and overpaid?

Most, if not all fans in this thread (with very few exceptions such yourself) think Giroux is good, not overpaid or overrated. He got what he deserved, based on the way he played. I guess that concept is tough to understand.

Old
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
HFKessSnipes*

Quote:
So you could not tell me why you think he is overrated and overpaid?

Most, if not all fans in this thread (with very few exceptions such yourself) think Giroux is good, not overpaid or overrated. He got what he deserved, based on the way he played. I guess that concept is tough to understand.
I think he's overrated just because of the point predictions and career projections some people have on here. People throwing around numbers as high as 80 - 80 point players are not garden variety. That's a very impressive career mark for just about any player, and few reach it. If he gets there I'll eat my crow and move on.

I have nothing against the kid, nor do I wish him to stagnate or be less than a great player.

As for being overpaid - I just think he is. I guess if I had to justify it, I would say that I think his team makes him a much better player, like it did with Versteeg.

Old
11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I think he's overrated just because of the point predictions and career projections some people have on here. People throwing around numbers as high as 80 - 80 point players are not garden variety. That's a very impressive career mark for just about any player, and few reach it. If he gets there I'll eat my crow and move on.
He was almost a PPG player in playoffs last year or the year before, when games are tougher and when it actually matter. He is close to a PPG in his 3rd year in the NHL. Yes, 80pts outrageous prediction.

Quote:
As for being overpaid - I just think he is. I guess if I had to justify it, I would say that I think his team makes him a much better player, like it did with Versteeg.
You do not know wtf you are talking about. Giroux is not a product of his teammates or his team. Only an idiot would say that.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-11-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old
11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

I have nothing against the kid, nor do I wish him to stagnate or be less than a great player.

You don't think Giroux has a PPG ceiling?

EDIT: Also, Giroux is not like Versteeg. Giroux makes his teammates better. He doesn't leach off them as much as Versteeg.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Versteeg is not Giroux. He's not as good as Giroux either. If he was, Chicago would've never let him walk, cap problems or otherwise.

You have nothing against Giroux, you just don't know anything about him or watch him on a regular basis.

You're saying these things out of spite.

In his last 44 games (since April 1st) Giroux has scored 40 points for 0.91 PPG or a 75 point pacing over an 82 game season at the age of 22.

Last edited by CS: 11-11-2010 at 11:43 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote