HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Habsfan22100

vCash: 500
lol @ people saying OB will be a beast in Colorado. He won't even be in their top 6 D once they have a healthy line-up.

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
MrNasty

For what it is worth. Here is the what THN had for Bournival in their draft preview guide:

One of the biggest complaints scouts have about players in his age bracket is their lack of consistent effort, but that is not a problem with Bournival.
"I love his overall energy package" one scout said. "If you watch Shawinigan play 10 times, you see the same Bournival 8 times. he's a consistent physical player who doesn't pick and choose who he runs into."
Bournival scored at a point-per-game pace before reprsenting Canada in the world under-18's, but it is not his offense that will get him into the NHL. While scouts are pleased he can score, they're more impressed with his overall body of work.
Bournival is projected as an energy player who won't take bad penalties and can cover any zone on the ice.
"He's probably the grittiest of all Quebec kids", another scout said.
"He goes hard on forechecks and gives you a bit of everything. He plays hard; a good third line type of player."

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

All I see is: 6'5"/230 for 5'11"/180. Gauthier can't be trading to make us smaller.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
The way we draft, that isn't a positive, I don't think.
Montreal is a very good drafting team, especially in the second round. A couple of years ago they drafted this guy called PK Subban, you may have heard of him.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
All I see is: 6'5"/230 for 5'11"/180. Gauthier can't be trading to make us smaller.
If I told you we were making a trade and getting this guy

you probably would have pooped your pants in excitement. Any guesses as to who that is?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Montreal is a very good drafting team, especially in the second round. A couple of years ago they drafted this guy called PK Subban, you may have heard of him.
What round was Mathieu Carle drafted? Or Guillaume Latendresse?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
What is see is the GM trading an asset the coach didn't want to use for an asset that could be a core player in 4-6 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
How many Ivy League schools have you enrolled in?
Was it not abundantly clear he was referring to hockey sense?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
ThePrimeTime

Thats maybe an average trade but i dont want players < than 6.1 feet anymore

ThePrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If I told you we were making a trade and getting this guy

you probably would have pooped your pants in excitement. Any guesses as to who that is?
I'd hit it. (no homo) Right guys? Right? *high five*

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Bullsmith

Went through the Avs thread and noticed that almost everyone who knew him liked Bournival a lot as a prospect. The HF ratings have him as the Avs #12 prospect, 4th highest forward. The draft day descriptions all praised his work ethic, consistency and physical play. Also he's showing some real development, especially offensive, since the draft.

All in all he seems like a good solid prospect, 3rd round pick with upside, projects to a quality 3rd liner if he pans out. Like many here at HF boards, I take a lot of pleasure watching the prospects, including many who don't pan out in the NHL but are great players to root for along the way. As such, I'm really glad to see management keeping kids fed into the system. We gave away a 2nd rounder last year for a player we then opted not to keep, but since then we've added both Palushaj and Bournival to the system, both guys who are roughly comperable in value to what that pick might've brought, and both gotten in return for older guys who clearly weren't going to pan out with the current Habs, deservedly or not. Hard to find too much fault with that.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Are you arguing that Latendresse wasn't worth taking in the second round? Care to expand on that?

Old
11-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrimeTime View Post
Right, better ship Markov and Subban and Pleks and Cammy out of town ASAP.

Old
11-11-2010, 01:12 PM
eaglesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'd hit it. (no homo) Right guys? Right? *high five*
im with you brah . *high five*

eaglesmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmaster View Post
im with you brah . *high five*
*high five*!

I'm seriously stoked about this Bournival kid

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Good idea. Ask Leaf fans how the "truculence above all else" plan is working out for them.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
x-bob

Quote:
This is such a weird way of analyzing an acquisition. The player's size/weight should be an afterthought since "most" players don't play anywhere near their size.

O'Byrne was not very physical and gritty for a big guy. Based on scouting reports, Bournival seems rather gritty for a small guy.

I'm just getting really tired of people judging trades/signings solely on the size of the players going either way.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:16 PM
ThePrimeTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Right, better ship Markov and Subban and Pleks and Cammy out of town ASAP.
HAHA that's why i think we need players > than 6.1 feet because we have really good players under 6 feet but we need to balance that and have some bigger guys but talented also

ThePrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:17 PM
LyleOdelein

Some people are mourning the loss of O'Byrne, based on what he might become if everything pans out for him. There's a reason he's no longer a Hab. That reason is Alexandre Picard:

- He's close to a year younger than O'B.
- He's more tested at the NHL level.
- He has scored more goals at the NHL level than O'B has points.
- He comes at 2/3's of O'B's cap hit this year.
- He's on a 2-way deal, so he's a lot easier to move out of the way if a guy like Weber plays so well he demands an NHL shot.
- His defensive play has been better than O'B's this season (which was supposed to be why O'B had the inside track for a spot on this team).

O'Byrne had first crack at the 7th d-man position, but ultimately lost that role to Picard. If a guy like O'B can't beat out a guy like Picard for a job on this team, it's time for a change of scenery.

I like O'B and hope that he proves to be a capable d-man at the NHL level. However, as far as asset management goes, getting a decent prospect is an excellent return for him at this stage in his development.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm not sold on Carle, but Lats was a steal in the 2nd round.

Old
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I don't see why this would lead to a trade.

I expect the team to stay as is for now, gain a bit of cap space.

Then when fresh blood is really needed, you can either:

1) Sign M.A. Bergeron. Addresses PP problems. Play him as a forward plus point on the PP. Gives you back defense depth lost with O'B since he CAN play shifts back there if we're desperate.

2) Call up a forward from Hamilton. Lots of guys performing well who need to be given chances. Desharnais, Palushaj, Pacioretty... We now have an empty roster spot and one of these guys could try to wake up G&G.

I still can't believe people want MAB back?

What's the point of having a guy who gets you one goal at one end of the ice and is responsible for 3 goals at YOUR end of the ice?

If he was sooo great, why aren't 29 other teams lining up to sign him for the PP?

two words ---> defensive liability

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bullsmith

Quote:
HAHA that's why i think we need players > than 6.1 feet because we have really good players under 6 feet but we need to balance that and have some bigger guys but talented also
Fair enough, and I'd agree if we were adding undersized players to the current roster. But when picking up a prospect who's years away from the NHL and who's also regarded as a physical player, I can live with 6'0" just fine.

Plus look at the photo. We may not be getting taller, but this guy isn't exactly small.

Old
11-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Some people are mourning the loss of O'Byrne, based on what he might become if everything pans out for him. There's a reason he's no longer a Hab. That reason is Alexandre Picard:

- He's close to a year younger than O'B.
- He's more tested at the NHL level.
- He has scored more goals at the NHL level than O'B has points.
- He comes at 2/3's of O'B's cap hit this year.
- He's on a 2-way deal, so he's a lot easier to move out of the way if a guy like Weber plays so well he demands an NHL shot.
- His defensive play has been better than O'B's this season (which was supposed to be why O'B had the inside track for a spot on this team).

O'Byrne had first crack at the 7th d-man position, but ultimately lost that role to Picard. If a guy like O'B can't beat out a guy like Picard for a job on this team, it's time for a change of scenery.

I like O'B and hope that he proves to be a capable d-man at the NHL level. However, as far as asset management goes, getting a decent prospect is an excellent return for him at this stage in his development.
No way in heck that Picard is better defensively than OB. He's a better puck mover no doubt, which is why JM likes him better. OB is better one on one, as a shot blocker and 100x better in the physical game.

The only downside to this trade is we'll end up overpaying for the type of player OB will end up being in Colorado. To me it's a lot like the Latendresse trade, though we got a much younger player back(unlike Pouliot).

The reason I don't hate the trade is that unless JM is getting fired sometime this year or in the off season, OB was only going to play sporadically and maybe end up losing value, us losing him on waivers.

Old
11-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
I like how Gauthier is going for prospect instead of trading spare parts for spare parts
I agree with that.....Gauthier is setting us up for many good years ahead of us while not really impacting our immediate success. A very good Move. Seen Bournival a couple of times live and I like what I see. A decent player that may be a second line player in Montreal at some point.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

How come so many users are mad about this trade? It doesn't looks like O'Byrne is going to reach his potential, and it's not that hard to find players like him AT HIS ACTUAL LEVEL. I mean, he's big and he can skate, but he's just not getting it done. We have a few good young D in Hamilton in case of injuries...

And we got Bournival!!! He's an interesting prospect. He's a hard working kid with decent skills. Because of that, I have a hard time seeing him become anything worst than O'Byrne at the NHL level (if he doesn't bust of course).

Anyways, IMO, really good trade...I don't think we would have had Bournival if unjuries wouldn't have struck the Avalanche D.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote