HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
I like the fact that we've been stocking up on Centers.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
MAB can`t play in the NHL as a top 6 defenseman...not on a playoff team anyways.
That's been proven wrong a few times.

In 400 career games, he's only a -4. Hell, before he played for us, he was actually a career +3 in about 340 games.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:24 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

in french

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/turcot...ael-bournival/

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:27 PM
PM23

This guy is a machine :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_Vw...eature=related

Off-ice training doesn't mean he's a great hockey player, but at least he's got the right attitude, putting fitness first.
I guess we'll be following someone else other than Leblanc in the Q this year!

Last edited by PM23: 11-11-2010 at 02:33 PM.
PM23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:28 PM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

In 400 career games, he's only a -4. Hell, before he played for us, he was actually a career +3 in about 340 games.
Plus, he was playing defense for the Eastern Conference finalist last year and was able to handle both the Capitals and the Penguins.

Still, I don't want him back.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:

But for the last two seasons he can't get a job in a 30 team league except as a mid-season replacement signing, and even then he has to take less than many guys make on their ELCs. As of right now, the market says not only can't he play top 6 d for a playoff team, he can't play period.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Newhabfan

If anything, this trade proves one thing - O'Byrne would not have cleared waivers And that means you lose him for nothing.

You know the organisation wanted to have 8 D men mostly because an injury among D-men is always possible, even probable if you think last year. We had no injuries so far which is great but now they were paying O'B 900k while not playing, not develloping and losing confidence.

You can't put him on waivers, you can't make room for him when Picard helps your team better as 7d and you have no injuries. You're stuck and then, you do a trade where you free some cap space, save some money, and get a prospect with some potential....

Sounds OK for me.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:35 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
What round was Mathieu Carle drafted? Or Guillaume Latendresse?
David Fisher?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
like I said on the main board thread, good move for both teams.

O'Byrne will likely help the Avs now, Bournival will probably help the Habs in the future.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:

And it's been proven correct a few hundred times by watching him play.

He's not as bad as people make him out to be but I'd rather try out Weber for 5-10 games before we signed MAB again.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
David Fisher?
They were specifically referencing 2nd round finds. But as busts go, Fisher's a black mark on Timmons' draft record, for sure. Total, unadulterated bust. IIRC we got a second rounder back for never signing him, so that eases the pain somewhat. Not really fair, but it's the rule so I'll take it.

Old
11-11-2010, 02:43 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
They were specifically referencing 2nd round finds. But as busts go, Fisher's a black mark on Timmons' draft record, for sure. Total, unadulterated bust. IIRC we got a second rounder back for never signing him, so that eases the pain somewhat. Not really fair, but it's the rule so I'll take it.
I was only pointing out that one player doesn't determine a teams drafting record, whether good or bad. I actually don't mind Timmins that much, but finding one PK Subban in the 2nd isn't really proof he's been an outstanding scout.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I don`t put a lot of weight in the +- stat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Plus, he was playing defense for the Eastern Conference finalist last year and was able to handle both the Capitals and the Penguins.

Still, I don't want him back.
He didn`t play defense against the Capitals, Markov did. Against Pittsburgh, they shut down Malkin and Crosby and the rest of the team was not good enough to beat us.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:53 PM
THE HOFF

dumb trade in my opinion. Not the trade itself, if they really like bournival and see something in him.

But if the roster remains status quo, I will be disapointed. ''remains'' consist of this season and the next off season ... They got rid of a capable bottom pairing Dman when we have a crazy UFA year on defence.

They don't ''know'' if they are going to sign a top UFA (chara, kaberle, ehrhoff or philips ...yeah...philips... I guess that tells you how overpriced the 3 others will be...and that's given the fact that we hold on to markov)... and if they are not getting another top 4 dman during the season, I will consider this trade a dumb one.

letting Obyrne go totally opens the door to the possibility of seeing all of Gill, spacek and hammer back next year....

this year its pushing our luck ...next year... I'll have no words for this.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
O'Byrne's career with the Habs:

As much as I don't think this is true... it's freakin' hilarious.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
dumb trade in my opinion.

letting Obyrne go totally opens the door to the possibility of seeing Gill, spacek and hammer back next year.
That did work for us last playoffs, don' you think ? I mean...all those three were important parts of that ECF team.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:59 PM
gusfring

Quote:
dumb trade in my opinion. Not the trade itself, if they really like bournival and see something in him.

But if the roster remains status quo, I will be disapointed. ''remains'' consist of this season and the next off season ... They got rid of a capable bottom pairing Dman when we have a crazy UFA year on defence.

They don't ''know'' if they are going to sign a top UFA (chara, kaberle, ehrhoff or philips ...yeah...philips... I guess that tells you how overpriced the 3 others will be...and that's given the fact that we hold on to markov)... and if they are not getting another top 4 dman during the season, I will consider this trade a dumb one.

letting Obyrne go totally opens the door to the possibility of seeing all of Gill, spacek and hammer back next year....

Agree. I would like to see a Gauthier trade that actually upgrades our current roster. Is that too much to ask?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I was only pointing out that one player doesn't determine a teams drafting record, whether good or bad. I actually don't mind Timmins that much, but finding one PK Subban in the 2nd isn't really proof he's been an outstanding scout.
I couldn't really deduce that's what you meant just from Fisher's name, but I certainly agree. Argument by anecdote isn't really persuasive. Then again, on a hockey blog...

Yeah I'm a Timmons fan too, overall, and I agree that one good pick isn't a track record, but... PK in the second round is a hell of a steal.

Old
11-11-2010, 03:00 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:

letting Obyrne go totally opens the door to the possibility of seeing Gill, spacek and hammer back next year.
First Spacek is gonna be back anyways, then you also have to consider that Chara is already signed long terms.

Then you have Picard, Weber and Carle who should all be NHL ready at the begining of next season, you could always hope for the Saint-Denis and Nash to impress, but i doubt it.

I understand what your saying, but we're are only loosing two d-mens next season, Hamr and Gill... if we can't replace them with our own system.. well we're realy bad.

EDIT: the UFA list for defensmen is actualy pretty good http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...ion=D&FAType=2

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:01 PM
TheBuriedHab

I like the return we got for OB. I think its obvious montreal is making a move to get a top 6 forward. First putting Boyd on waivers and now moving OB. Something is coming for sure.

The only thing that worries me is next year. OB could have filled a bottom pairing role with Hamrlik and Gill comming off the books. Hopefully some kids in the hamilton will be ready next year.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:

This is the assumption in your argument that the Habs org clearly didn't agree with. O'Byrne played 120+ games over three seasons and his stock with the team went steadily down. So much so that he lost his job as the #7 to a guy on a two way contract picked up cheap on the UFA market.

So, while I agree with everything else you say and the problems the habs face, clearly they decided O'Byrne wasn't the answer to them. Personally I agree with them.

Old
11-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I like the return we got for OB. I think its obvious montreal is making a move to get a top 6 forward. First putting Boyd on waivers and now moving OB. Something is coming for sure.

The only thing that worries me is next year. OB could have filled a bottom pairing role with Hamrlik and Gill comming off the books. Hopefully some kids in the hamilton will be ready next year.
I don`t think it`s necessarily related to anybody coming in. The fix for the top 6 is for Cammy and Gomez to start putting up points, not a trade.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don`t think it`s necessarily related to anybody coming in. The fix for the top 6 is for Cammy and Gomez to start putting up points, not a trade.
They are trying to clear cap space. There was no pressing need to make this deal. Something is brewing Imo.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Something is coming? No. Boyd was put on waivers because Darche took his spot and we have plenty of youngsters in Hamilton that can replace Boyd.
Same for O'Byrne, we have Weber to replace him if we need someone.

KadrüH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:16 PM
HCH

I expected O'Byrne to be traded. He hadn't progressed as much as hoped for, didn't fit into Martin's plans and had no waiver options left. I am glad he is getting another chance.

We get a prospect who will have a chance to develop and we get some cap space.

It could be a nice trade for both sides.

Good luck OB.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote