HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-11-2010, 03:17 PM
The Right Price

vCash: 500
Good move, no doubt abóut it.

Fact is that, although O'Byrne was a decent D-man, he is low on our depth chart, not just at present but also in the future.

Bournival, well never heard of him, but he seems like a decent prospect. It's nice that Gauthier is thinking about our future. Subban, Eller, Bournival, Price.. It's looking kind of decent to say the least, I am happy!!

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:19 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I like the return we got for OB. I think its obvious montreal is making a move to get a top 6 forward. First putting Boyd on waivers and now moving OB. Something is coming for sure.

The only thing that worries me is next year. OB could have filled a bottom pairing role with Hamrlik and Gill comming off the books. Hopefully some kids in the hamilton will be ready next year.
Emelin??

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:21 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
Something is coming? No. Boyd was put on waivers because Darche took his spot and we have plenty of youngsters in Hamilton that can replace Boyd.
Same for O'Byrne, we have Weber to replace him if we need someone.
Its no secret that PG is looking for a top 6 forward to fill out our top 2 lines. If he wants to add a top 6 player with some salary, he had to clear some space. Yeah Boyd got beat out by Darche but montreal always carries 13 forwards. A deal might not be close, but he is certainly trying to get a deal done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Emelin??
If he comes for sure. But how many years have we been waiting for him. It would be foolish for Montreal to rely on him coming over.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Megaforce

First rule of hockey- never trade an apostrophe for an umlaut.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
DumFries

This follows the Dustin Boyd move. Much needed cap space. Pretty insignificant trade for something bigger, maybe.

O'byrne was a great team guy. He defended his goalies, he fought although he was not great and was a good shot blocker. I remember him doing very well a few years ago at training camps. He was a big robust defensemen something the Habs lacked and continue to lack in. I don't know what happened to him. He kept on creating turnovers lately and had a goal (in the wrong net). Very funny moment. His little situation with Kostopoulos was also a classic. He didn't approve of greedy Komisarek's refusal to sign with Montreal either. That was a plus in my books.

With the signing of Picard, O'Byrne had no place in the lineup. Picard was preferred since Martin knew him in Ottawa. I don't know what no NHL material Picard brings that O'byrne couldn't bring, but I haven't been watching many games lately. O'byrne was left out against the Philadelphia series. We all saw how the Habs were tossed around. So, you need these type of physical players against physical teams. Eventually, if this guy was played, he would of matured like this year's Price I assume. The organization saw no light in him.

The good thing is, the Habs face Colorado once a year, so O'byrne, if he develops, will not beat up his former teammates regularly. The Habs get a good prospect and don't lose O'byrne on waivers for nothing. However, it's hard to see another drafted player go.

Now the question is how long will it take till unmovable Gomez gets a lesson.

There is a lot of speculation even though the team is winning.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Tommy Pyatt #2?

Anyway, I don't dislike the trade. As much as I wanted to like O'B, his career wsa going nowhere with the Habs. I really hope he'll succeed in the Avs.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Its no secret that PG is looking for a top 6 forward to fill out our top 2 lines. If he wants to add a top 6 player with some salary, he had to clear some space. Yeah Boyd got beat out by Darche but montreal always carries 13 forwards. A deal might not be close, but he is certainly trying to get a deal done.
He is? That's news to me. The way Pouliot is playing I don't see them adding another winger.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
Tommy Pyatt #2?

Anyway, I don't dislike the trade. As much as I wanted to like O'B, his career wsa going nowhere with the Habs. I really hope he'll succeed in the Avs.
Please stop with the Pyatt #2.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
This follows the Dustin Boyd move. Much needed cap space. Pretty insignificant trade for something bigger, maybe.

O'byrne was a great team guy. He defended his goalies, he fought although he was not great and was a good shot blocker. I remember him doing very well a few years ago at training camps. He was a big robust defensemen something the Habs lacked and continue to lack in. I don't know what happened to him. He kept on creating turnovers lately and had a goal (in the wrong net). Very funny moment. His little situation with Kostopoulos was also a classic. He didn't approve of greedy Komisarek's refusal to sign with Montreal either. That was a plus in my books.

With the signing of Picard, O'Byrne had no place in the lineup. Picard was preferred since Martin knew him in Ottawa. I don't know what no NHL material Picard brings that O'byrne couldn't bring, but I haven't been watching many games lately. O'byrne was left out against the Philadelphia series. We all saw how the Habs were tossed around. So, you need these type of physical players against physical teams. Eventually, if this guy was played, he would of matured like this year's Price I assume. The organization saw no light in him.

The good thing is, the Habs face Colorado once a year, so O'byrne, if he develops, will not beat up his former teammates regularly. The Habs get a good prospect and don't lose O'byrne on waivers for nothing. However, it's hard to see another drafted player go.

Now the question is how long will it take till unmovable Gomez gets a lesson.

There is a lot of speculation even though the team is winning.
JM was gone already when Picard played for Ottawa.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:45 PM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
First rule of hockey- never trade an apostrophe for an umlaut.
Very good.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:49 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
What round was Mathieu Carle drafted? Or Guillaume Latendresse?
Err... Latendresse is a productive NHLer. He's a top-6 forward at this stage of his career and looks like he might have 25-30 goal type potential. Not exactly a sterling example of bad drafting.

Carle has been slowed down by injuries and may yet become a NHLer regardless. Again, no bad drafting here.

BTW, do you have any conception on what "typical" second-round drafting for a NHL team resembles?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Stradale

Another player that has failed to develop well under Habs management.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:53 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Are you arguing that Latendresse wasn't worth taking in the second round? Care to expand on that?
Seriously. Somehow digging out a 25-goal forward with the 45th pick is a drafting fail?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Marc-E-

Well, this move gives cap space. I can see now a deal with a team like the Devils. A guy like Langenbrunner at 2.8 could be brought over here to play with Gionta and Gomez.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Another player that has failed to develop well under Habs management.
128 GP for a 3rd rounder by age 26 isn't bad.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:55 PM
GoHomez

The Avs are really thin on D so I'm pretty sure this deal was initiated by them rather than Gauthier shopping O'Byrne around the league.
What does that tell us? Basically that we dealt from a better position and if what Whitesnake posted earlier about Timmins being really high on Bournival is true, well then we probably got a really good result. How the deal actually will play out is in the future.

As for next season, I believe that Gauthier and Martin was pretty set on that O'Byrne wasn't the answer moving forward. They were in no way forced to move him at this time but probably saw a opportunity to improve the team long term.

With the waiving of Boyd and dealing of OB I join the group that think there is a bigger move coming. Either now or closer to the trade dead line. We have freed up some cap space and gotten a deeper pool to deal from when needed.

I remain optimistic about this trade.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
You guys make me laugh because if his name was Mike Smith from some college in Minnesota, you would all be saying what kind of crappy trade this is. Hypochritical if you ask me !
And if Leblanc's name was Smith you'd probably stop saying he's a career AHLer

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Please stop with the Pyatt #2.
What's a better comparison then? Plekanec?

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Emelin??
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
What's a better comparison then? Plekanec?
Lapierre - Funny Faces & 2" + Better hands & slightly better hockey sense.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Aurel Joliat

O'Byrne was too tough to play with the Habs...
I know we have too many d-men but I liked O'Byrne

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I don't like us getting rid of Ryan O'Byrne.
Me either.

Stupid move.

Watch one or two D get injured this upcoming week.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Well, this move gives cap space. I can see now a deal with a team like the Devils. A guy like Langenbrunner at 2.8 could be brought over here to play with Gionta and Gomez.
He would probably only cost a 2nd or 3rd liner tops.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:12 PM
E = CH²

I'm positively surprised at the return. I did not think O'byrne had much value at all.

O'byrne was completely worthless here so I'm happy with this.

Can't help but think he had an interesting package though. I don't understand what went wrong with that guy. He just didn't improve at all.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
You guys make me laugh because if his name was Mike Smith from some college in Minnesota, you would all be saying what kind of crappy trade this is. Hypochritical if you ask me !
No, Bournival was one of the most touted prospect coming out of the Q this draft. If there is someone hypocritical about french players on this board i'm pretty sure it's you. You shouldn't judge people by their origins, not talking about the players, but the french posters on this board. Give people some slack.

And i f player is named Mike Smith i'd dislike him for having the most plain name in the world, just like i dislike Mike Richards.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
He would probably only cost a 2nd or 3rd liner tops.
Not too sure cos NJ needs cap space and a defensman. A guy like Weber maybe could interest NJ.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote