HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-11-2010, 04:14 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
No, Bournival was one of the most touted prospect coming out of the Q this draft. If there is someone hypocritical about french players on this board i'm pretty sure it's you. You shouldn't judge people by their origins, not talking about the players, but the french posters on this board. Give people some slack.

And i f player is named Mike Smith i'd dislike him for having the most plain name in the world, just like i dislike Mike Richards.
If he was one of the most touted Q products at the last draft and went in the 3rd round I cry for the Q.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:14 PM
LastChancePrice

I personnaly beleive that MichaŽl Bournival will develop in a top 6 player, because he will have a confidence bounce now knowing that he can play for the most prestigious organisation of the world and the team hes use to chear at.

Add to that that we save nearly a million on cap space and and i think that Gauthier just pulled his best transaction since he replace Gainey.

Giving that the opportunity to really help our powerplay and sign Bergeron for a 1.2 million contract, giving us still some minor cap space of about 500k.

Reaaaaaly like that move, was not a fan of Obyrne, not for his mistake with the purse thing ( and btw, we ALL know that anyway it was Huet who did that and Obyrne took the plunge for him. ), but for his overall implication when he was playing a game. He was just looking like a 7th dmen when with his size, he could have beeen a monster in defence if was able to use it right.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
I personnaly beleive that MichaŽl Bournival will develop in a top 6 player, because he will have a confidence bounce now knowing that he can play for the most prestigious organisation of the world and the team hes use to chear at.

Add to that that we save nearly a million on cap space and and i think that Gauthier just pulled his best transaction since he replace Gainey.

Giving that the opportunity to really help our powerplay and sign Bergeron for a 1.2 million contract, giving us still some minor cap space of about 500k.

Reaaaaaly like that move, was not a fan of Obyrne, not for his mistake with the purse thing ( and btw, we ALL know that anyway it was Huet who did that and Obyrne took the plunge for him. ), but for his overall implication when he was playing a game. He was just looking like a 7th dmen when with his size, he could have beeen a monster in defence if was able to use it right.
1.2 a million for bergeron for 2/3 of a season.....if we sign him im guessing it will be for like 250k ~ 300k

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:24 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
1.2 a million for bergeron for 2/3 of a season.....if we sign him im guessing it will be for like 250k ~ 300k
The guy who help us saved the season last year, well he know that and he will now have a good bargaining card with him when it will be the time to negociate. Why on earth would i sign for 300k when i can prove to the person who want to hire me that last season, i save a lot of game for them.

Without him, our powerplay would have look as this year because it was looking like this before he arrived.And with a powerplay that low, we wouldnt have made the playoff.

We own him a big thank you and offering him 300k would sound like an insult.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
If he was one of the most touted Q products at the last draft and went in the 3rd round I cry for the Q.
Well you should.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:40 PM
shamrun

Quote:
The guy who help us saved the season last year, well he know that and he will now have a good bargaining card with him when it will be the time to negociate. Why on earth would i sign for 300k when i can prove to the person who want to hire me that last season, i save a lot of game for them.

Without him, our powerplay would have look as this year because it was looking like this before he arrived.And with a powerplay that low, we wouldnt have made the playoff.

its not a point of low balling him. i like his contributions to the pp. And as much as we owe him a big thank you, he owes the habs a big thank you for giving him a chance to still be in this league.

My understanding of the contracts in this league is that by the time he comes in, he'll only be getting paid that much because most of the season would of been done.

So in reality i think the offer would be one year contract to 600k about and he would be getting close to half because he will only be able to play half of the year about.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:42 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Going to miss O'B. I was happy with the way he was developing. I think he will have a long career in the NHL.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:

No one wants him, and hockey is a business. If we sign him, it will be for minimum salary... he can reject it and not get paid at all. Also... we don't want him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
Going to miss O'B. I was happy with the way he was developing. I think he will have a long career in the NHL.
He didnt develop at all. He hit a stand still. After his rookie season, it was downhill. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't better than picard has been for us this season... so why keep him?

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
He was in fact the number 5 Q player that has been picked in 2010, yeah i think crying for the Q would be a good things.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:48 PM
HabsoluteFate

i think this is the first jacque martin trade i dont mind....

i think short term o'byrne is expendable....long term we will see...the prospect we get in return seems to have some upside but could end up never playing in the nhl...

sounds like they have just been trying to dump salaries considering the recent waiver thing they have done...so sounds like there will likely be something else going on soon

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
lol! i only read the first THREE pages and i could NOT beleive some people are "upset" with this trade, LOL the guy was NEVER going to play for us again

had such a TERRIBLE training camp, hes ALREADY 25 years old, and people keep saying "man this is gonna hurt us in 2-3 years" , WHAT?? the guy might not even BE in the NHL at ALL in the next 3 years!! i caaaant beleive how anyone could be upset with this trade, yeah its losing a D on the depth chart, but um.. id rather play weber or carle or even Brendon nash (watch out for this kid) before id want to see obyrne again

Obyrnes CEILING is to become a Mike Komisarek, and look at mike now.

I wont even mention how we got a pretty DECENT prospect who might make team canada this year, someone said (we traded a d for something we have plenty of), ridiculous. you can NEVER have too many decent prospects, thats why you have a farm system, christ thats why you have a draft!

Great Trade. I cant beleive obyrne got us a prospect and not a draft choice, i remember TWO weeks ago thinking (i wonder what draft choice obyrne gets us, 5th ... 6th??) so im pleasantly surprised.

Edit : cant imagine waking up one day , a kid from quebec who hears he's been traded to montreal, the habs probably just made this kids year

Last edited by Redux91: 11-11-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:59 PM
strutsboa

I really like this move, you can never have to many good prospects. Even if O'Byrne succeed in Colorado, I don't think he would ever do it in Montreal. I mean, he is 26 years old and has been a healthy scratch mostly during his career.

We got Picard for free and he has outplayed O'Byrne, so we basicly upgraded O'Byrne and got Bournival for free.

On top of that, we also got some more cap-space if we want to sign someone or make a spash at the trade deadline.

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Bieber fever

excellent move by Gauthier ! Bournival will become a better version of Talbot imo.

and good ridance. OB was weak

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:03 PM
le_sean

They essentially got a 3rd rounder for an 8th defenceman. O'Byrne himself was a 3rd rounder. In the end they tried with one 3rd rounder, saw he was not going to become anything but a bottom pairing defenceman, so now they will try to see if another will become something more. Good trade.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:10 PM
ourobouros

Best in the world for pushups!!!

ourobouros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:14 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Yeah, whatever!

Despite all of the negativity towards O'Byrne I disagree that he wasn't developing. Seems to me that last year the guy did a stand-up job in the playoffs, also wasn't afraid to drop the gloves when the need arose. As for this year I see a lot of guys that started the season in a horrid manner on this team. I understand completely that he had to be moved due to the depth on D this year, but I don't think he deserves some of the dogging he is getting on this thread.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourobouros View Post
Best in the world for pushups!!!
I actually have a problem with his push ups. I'm very strict on them. Chest to floor and full lockout from elbows at the top, he does neither. But I guess they have their own standards at the combine.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
hes ALREADY 25 years old,
Actually he's 26 now. Going to be 27 after the post-season. Just a reminder to all those thinking we lost a promising young-man. Some posters think O'B is 23 years old forever.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I actually have a problem with his push ups. I'm very strict on them. Chest to floor and full lockout from elbows at the top, he does neither. But I guess they have their own standards at the combine.
lol. Clearly they do, you saw a guy put his fist between the floor and his chest, thats a pushup, if your chest is hitting the floor, imo your doing it wrong. just like people who bang their dumbells together when lifting shoulders, wrong.

same thing for locking out elbows, wrong again, if your elbows are dead straight, your bones are aligned, relieving strain on the tricep and alieviating some of the weight from the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
Actually he's 26 now. Going to be 27 after the post-season. Just a reminder to all those thinking we lost a promising young-man. Some posters think O'B is 23 years old forever.
lol exactly, for christ sake PLEKANEC is 27!!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
lol exactly, for christ sake PLEKANEC is 27!!
28, actually. Also during the season, Andrei Kostitsyn and Max Lapierre will both turn 26.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
goalchenyuk

O'Byrne wasn't playing anymore , so basically it's

To Colorado ( .. .. .. .. )
To Habs ( Bournival + 800,000$ of cap space ) .

Gauthier

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Haven't seen it mentioned a lot, but in a way PG also did o'byrne a big favor. He'll actually get to play some minutes with colorado. Good move for both sides, i think.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
this is a great trade. A marginal nhl defenceman for a young decent prospect.

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Booba
Fier, ťmu and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
EZ there Tex, if the shoe Doesn't fit........
I am reading your posts and I'm just tired of seeing you critizing the trade because who got a quebecois.

Is their a maximum of quebecois the Habs are suppose to have on their team?
Some were suggesting that Darche and Picard were only with the Habs because of the fact that they are quebecois and the Habs need a minimum of quebecois to appease the masses. Well the same Darche beat Dustin Boyd for a spot and Alex Picard litteraly stole O'Byrne's spot.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 06:20 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
They are trying to clear cap space. There was no pressing need to make this deal. Something is brewing Imo.
Or they got an offer they liked because Colorado had injuries. Gauthier seems to react more than he acts, the Halak deal sort of went the same way.

From a negotiation perspective there is an advantage to being the first to put your cards on the table so Gauthier is probably not doing as well as he could, but then who knows? Maybe the advantage goes away when the whole group is made up of professional negotiators.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote