HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Remembering Pelle Lindbergh, 25 years on

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2010, 07:58 PM
  #26
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
I drove by the site this evening after leaving the Skate Zone. My son had hockey practice and I used the opportunity to talk about drinking and driving. I spoke about what impaired judgment is and how one mistake - or rather, a chain of small mistakes - can be so costly. I described Pelle's last drive and showed him the wall as we approached, asking him what he saw coming up.

I can still remember my mom driving my brother and I to deliver newspapers on that Sunday morning. My brother, the huge Pelle Lindbergh fan, was in the back seat as we delivered my route first. I got back to the car to get another bundle of newspapers when I saw my brother crying. I was asking him what he said (to tick my mom off and get smacked as usual) when my mom cut me short and told me why he was upset. Here's my then-best friend / little brother bawling because Pelle was brain-dead. I delivered both my route and his route that day. I will never forget it.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:13 AM
  #27
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Message me then and tell me what you want to say. I don't care. I'm sorry that I don't mourn the death of a man just because he was a Flyers goalie. Let me say this again, if he was just some average joe, none of you would even take the time to read the ****ing obituary. And Tillman died defending this country, a country he gave up his dream to fight for. The 2 aren't even in the same category.

You know what, fine. I'll admit, based on my bias on this subject maybe I should have refrained from posting in here, but I honestly don't see what I said that was so insane. That his death was his fault? Because it was. I'm pretty sure he was the one pounding back the drinks and getting into a car. I will say I feel bad for his family and I feel bad that a single bad decision cut his life short, but the situation could have been avoided very easily.
You have your opinion and I have mine. I do not want to message you because I do not want to even deal with you anymore.I just do not think I like you. I knew Pelle and you would not have met a finer human being and for you to say those things about him truly stings. You make it sound like he was a guy who did not give a **** about anything and was a ****ing drunkard. I have lost friends and family in battle so to use Pat as a example vs Pelle, well I will just leave it at that. So stay in your glass house mr. I never made a mistake hof.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:34 AM
  #28
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I drove by the site this evening after leaving the Skate Zone. My son had hockey practice and I used the opportunity to talk about drinking and driving. I spoke about what impaired judgment is and how one mistake - or rather, a chain of small mistakes - can be so costly. I described Pelle's last drive and showed him the wall as we approached, asking him what he saw coming up.

I can still remember my mom driving my brother and I to deliver newspapers on that Sunday morning. My brother, the huge Pelle Lindbergh fan, was in the back seat as we delivered my route first. I got back to the car to get another bundle of newspapers when I saw my brother crying. I was asking him what he said (to tick my mom off and get smacked as usual) when my mom cut me short and told me why he was upset. Here's my then-best friend / little brother bawling because Pelle was brain-dead. I delivered both my route and his route that day. I will never forget it.
I still remember getting that phone call that morning. It felt like the blood just drained out of me. Two of my friends were on the Magnolia fire squad and responded to the call, they did not know who was involved at first.It was a miracle the other two passengers even survived. Once Gary found out it was Pelle he called me with the news and told me it did not look good. Later in the morning it was confirmed he would not make it. Nothing ever good comes out of drinking and driving. Pelle was a fun loving young man who loved life dearly and made a mistake a paid for it with his life.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 06:50 AM
  #29
Howe Elbows 9
Caps bandwagoner
 
Howe Elbows 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 417
http://svtplay.se/v/2226990/stopptid/7_11

Hopefully the link works. Here's a translation of the Swedish in the video...

Quote:
Reporter: Can you remove that helmet to give people a chance to recognize you? Although you're often wearing a helmet... Who are you?

- Pelle Lindbergh, I play ice hockey.

It's 1972, a junior Hammarby team will get to travel to Canda. In net, the immensely promising 13-year old Pelle Lindbergh. Charming, happy and initiative.

- Do you get scared?
- No, you can't get scared when you're in net, that wouldn't be good.
- Have you ever gotten injured?
- Not really, but I've been hit on my arms and things like that.
- How does that feel?
- It hurts, but it passes.

In the 1979 World Championships game against Czechoslovakia Lindbergh gets his breakthrough performance.

Of course he'd go to the NHL. It's now 1985 and Lindbergh is the Flyers star who has been voted to be the best goalie in the league.

There's a game at the Spectrum and the home team can get to the finals by defeating the Quebec Nordiques. One player in particular is the reason behind their success, he's a goalie from [inaudible name of street] in Stockholm.

Pelle Lindbergh has established himself as the best goalie in the league. The opponents haven't been able to find any weaknesses in his game and hockey experts agree that he's the reason for the Flyers success.

- I went back to my old style of play and didn't try to become a new Bernie Parent or Jacques Plante like I tried to do in the two years prior to this one. Then I would always try to stand up to cut off the angles, but now I've gone back to my own style, the Pelle Lindbergh style.

- Do you feel more confident this season?
- Since the team had success early the team were more confident with my play and so I got more confident, it almost felt like we couldn't lose.

More than 17,000 spectators cheer for their heroes in Philadelphia who got to the finals by defeating Quebec with a score of 3-0.

- It's always been a dream to get this far, and now we're here. It's hard to believe.

- One gets the impression that when the Flyers do well, you're seen as a hero and idol.
- That's usually how things are as a goalie, when you're winning you're the star and when you're losing you're the one to blame. Now we've won a bunch of games this year and everyone sees me as a really good player. That's just how it is.

In the United States his childhood dream has come true. He has fast cars, a boat, a house, a big-screen TV and he gets to play hockey. A young kid from Söder (in Stockholm) in Sweden that now has gone west.

Caption: Six months later Pelle Lindbergh would lose his life in an car accident

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:42 AM
  #30
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
You have your opinion and I have mine. I do not want to message you because I do not want to even deal with you anymore.I just do not think I like you. I knew Pelle and you would not have met a finer human being and for you to say those things about him truly stings. You make it sound like he was a guy who did not give a **** about anything and was a ****ing drunkard. I have lost friends and family in battle so to use Pat as a example vs Pelle, well I will just leave it at that. So stay in your glass house mr. I never made a mistake hof.
I never ****ing said that I was perfect. The only difference is the mistakes I make don't put my life or others' lives in danger. I'm sorry you that you knew him, that has to make it a lot worse, but had it been another, less known player, one you didn't know, would you feel the same way? Countless people die every day, were their lives not just as important as Pelle Lindbergh's? Sure they didn't have the recognition that Lindbergh did but that doesn't make it less tragic.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:35 AM
  #31
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,521
vCash: 2568
About 20 years ago, there was an NBA player (Charles Smith) who was a driver (charged but acquitted as a drunk driver) and he killed two Boston University students in a hit-and-run head-on collision. He did time as a result but basically wasn't physically injured. I doubt many were sympathetic to his situation. He survived, they didn't. If Lindbergh or anyone else did that, I wouldn't be inclined to say "poor guy, he must be devastated." If Lindbergh survived that night but wiped out a pregnant lady working the overnight shift at a local hospital, the feelings would be different. In this situation, he died. Yes, others were injured and many including his parents emotionally scarred but in this specific situation he didn't kill anyone but himself. Just in closing, I feel terribly for anyone who had to suffer a painful loss as a result of someone else's behavior.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-11-2010 at 07:06 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
  #32
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
The loss of life is tragic - whether it's defending our Country or from a mistake - and everyone will grieve differently. For many Flyer fans, I think most mourn the loss of "what could have been" and not the man. But the fact of the matter is - he was someone's son, many people's friend, and they miss him regardless of the circumstances.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:59 PM
  #33
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
RIP Pelle!

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 04:52 PM
  #34
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
The loss of life is tragic - whether it's defending our Country or from a mistake - and everyone will grieve differently. For many Flyer fans, I think most mourn the loss of "what could have been" and not the man. But the fact of the matter is - he was someone's son, many people's friend, and they miss him regardless of the circumstances.
Of course I feel bad for his friends and family, and I feel bad for him that a single mistake led to his death, and yielded no option for redemption. But the thing that gets to me is, Flyers fans, like you say, mourn the loss of "what could have been". This to me seems they are more mourning the chances that the Flyers would have had with him alive rather than just mourning that he died. It makes me wonder if it was some 4th liner if anybody would care all that much. I know for a fact they wouldn't receive the kind of mourning that Lindbergh received. I understand Lindbergh had incredible potential but his skills should not cause anybody to mourn him more.

Regardless, RIP Pelle

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
  #35
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,258
vCash: 500


Really nice video from a Flyer's fan in Stockholm.

Secondly,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
I never ****ing said that I was perfect. The only difference is the mistakes I make don't put my life or others' lives in danger. I'm sorry you that you knew him, that has to make it a lot worse, but had it been another, less known player, one you didn't know, would you feel the same way? Countless people die every day, were their lives not just as important as Pelle Lindbergh's? Sure they didn't have the recognition that Lindbergh did but that doesn't make it less tragic.
Man, I get your point. But in all respect, honestly 100% not trying to be a dick here, that argument is worthless. We ALL "knew" Pelle because he was apart of something we all had a passion for. The fact is the world can not stop for each and every person that dies. It would be nice, but it just can't be like that. Pelle was an icon in Flyers history and was missed because of that. To some (and again, sadly), other people's deaths take priority over others. If you told me Mike Richards died tomorrow and that some other guy fell in a manhole right after I would immediately be heartbroken over Mike and learn about it as quickly as I could. Anyone else who wasn't a Flyer's fan probably just treated it as another death in the news, and they fall in the category of not really feeling the entire effect because they simply didn't know who he was. Also, sorry about your friend too. Drunk driving is terrible, but Pelle had everything to lose, it was a mistake from an otherwise lively and responsible person. He just didn't get a second chance.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
  #36
CanadianFlyersFan18
Registered User
 
CanadianFlyersFan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Of course I feel bad for his friends and family, and I feel bad for him that a single mistake led to his death, and yielded no option for redemption. But the thing that gets to me is, Flyers fans, like you say, mourn the loss of "what could have been". This to me seems they are more mourning the chances that the Flyers would have had with him alive rather than just mourning that he died. It makes me wonder if it was some 4th liner if anybody would care all that much. I know for a fact they wouldn't receive the kind of mourning that Lindbergh received. I understand Lindbergh had incredible potential but his skills should not cause anybody to mourn him more.

Regardless, RIP Pelle
When celebrities, famous athletes and generally famous people die, people mourn them more, its just the way it is. Our society as a whole practically worships these people when they pass before their time and after. Pelle was a very popular player in Philadelphia and he showed that love through his fantastic love for the game and the city of Philadelphia. I can't blame people for mourning the loss of "what could have been" because Pelle was arguably the best goalie in the NHL at the time, along with the Flyers being the best team in the NHL.His out going, very approachable personality is also another reason why he was popular among the city of Philadelphia and the Flyers locker room. I think people mourn both Pelle as a fantastic human being and mourn the fact the Flyers just weren't the same after Pelle's accident. Furthermore I am in no way saying what Pelle did that night was acceptable, but lets face it, that was the hockey culture back then and 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 Pelle wouldn't of even had a drink, let alone drink and drive.. it wasn't in him and he tended to have fun without booze. One mistake ended it all and its truly unfortunate.

RIP Pelle #31

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:10 PM
  #37
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,064
vCash: 1045
I hadn't been aware that Pelle had a sister who died as well. That's even more sad to have it happen twice.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:14 PM
  #38
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
There were about a dozen Flyers players who drove drunk that night. If you are going to condemn Lindbergh, condemn everyone else, too (and, for that matter, condemn the hockey culture of the time, where that was considered normal behavior to go out and have a few -- sometimes more than a few -- and then get behind the wheel). The only real difference is that Pelle crashed and died, and the others made it home.

With the except of Bob Froese, Pelle was actually the least likely player on that team to get involved in a drinking and driving accident. He rarely drank during the season and probably (although we'll never know) only did so that night because Keenan had given the team the next two days off and there was a long break until the next game night against Edmonton.

I'm not saying that what Lindbergh did was excusable or right, but you have to view it in context. The fact that he drove recklessly on a regular basis was actually the single biggest factor in how things ended up for him.

And even if you don't feel sorry for Lindbergh, you have to feel for his parents, Sigge and Anna-Lisa (who less than two years later had to bury another one of their three children after Pelle's older sister, Ann-Christine, lost a long battle with cancer). You have to feel for his fiancee, Kerstin. And you have to feel for all his friends and teammates that he left behind.

One of those friends was Ed Parvin Jr., who was one of the two passengers in the car. Parvin has never blamed Pelle for what happened, and holds no bitterness whatsoever.

In terms of putting a human face on the tragedy, here are photos of Pelle's mom, Anna-Lisa, his then-fiancee Kerstin (red jacket) and his older sister, Ann-Louise (black sweatshirt) at a gravesite memorial earlier this year, on what would have been his 51st birthday. Pelle's sister is also buried there. His father's name is on the other side of the headstone.



Great article Bill. I met Pelle at Kings Grant when I was a foreman on a construction crew. I told him I had played goal(we used to rent ice at the Colosseum and the University of Delaware late at night) and I sucked. He cracked up.What a nice young man. Four of us split two lower level seats at the spectrum for years and I happened to have the first game after his death. It just so happened that Pelle was on that ticket. It was the first time where they did not tear the ticket. Just mark the back. There were a lot of tears shed that evening. It just saddens me that there are some people that are just blinded by hate. Anyway once again thank you for remembering Pelle

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
  #39
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,521
vCash: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
It makes me wonder if it was some 4th liner if anybody would care all that much. I know for a fact they wouldn't receive the kind of mourning that Lindbergh received. I understand Lindbergh had incredible potential but his skills should not cause anybody to mourn him more.

Regardless, RIP Pelle
The fourth liner as described is a hypothetical compared to the actuality that was Lindbergh. But take the case of Dmitri Tertyshny who died in a totally different and tragic manner. A young man. A relatively unknown commodity as a player. I remember watching one of the national news shows -- news, not sports -- when I saw the scroll at the bottom of the screen which listed his death and initial details of the boating accident. It was chilling to say the least but the coverage wasn't the same mostly due to the name recognition and likely the cause was a contributing factor (there were plenty of photos of a smashed Porsche compared to the eyewitness accounts of a boating accident).

At the same time, of course this is a less dramatic scene since it involves injury and not death, but I watched Bernie Parent's final game and still remember the shock of when he skated to the bench hand covering his eye. Now, to use the hypothetical of an AHL callup, would the gut-wrenching feeling be the same? Most likely, no, but that is borne out of name-recognition yetn there would still be concern about the AHL player as a person.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-11-2010 at 05:38 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 05:55 PM
  #40
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
I actually had a fellow classmate of mine last year who died because him and his friends drank and drove, they drove thru the bottom of a 2 story house. 2 survived, and one died. Regardless of whether you agree with there decision, you must pay respect. RIP Pelle

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:45 PM
  #41
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
R.I.P. Pelle.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:48 PM
  #42
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I happened to have the first game after his death. It just so happened that Pelle was on that ticket. It was the first time where they did not tear the ticket. Just mark the back.
My Dad still has his ticket from that game saved in a glass case.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.