HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DC Roller Hockey?

Old
11-08-2010, 07:37 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
DC Roller Hockey?

Hey guys. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place and if so then I'm sure mods will move it. I'm from New York but I'm a freshman at American University. Can anyone tell me anything about roller hockey possibilities for me? One of the biggest mistakes of my life was giving up hockey to focus on soccer when I was around 13, and I'd like to get back into it. I'm sure my skating could use some work in order to get back into form but I'm not brand new to playing or anything. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:36 PM
dashtary*

Rockville Sports Plex has a youth and adult roller hockey league. You could check that out.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Rockville Sports Plex has a youth and adult roller hockey league. You could check that out.
If you're a freshman at AU I doubt you have a car and that would make it somewhat difficult to get to the Sportsplex in Rockville. You could Metro to Shady Grove and bus, but even still that would be a pain in the ass. There might be some random D.C. league you can find but I don't know of anything off hand that is already established with some credibility to boot.

GL on your search.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 08:55 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey442 View Post
If you're a freshman at AU I doubt you have a car and that would make it somewhat difficult to get to the Sportsplex in Rockville. You could Metro to Shady Grove and bus, but even still that would be a pain in the ass. There might be some random D.C. league you can find but I don't know of anything off hand that is already established with some credibility to boot.

GL on your search.
Yeah, no car . Everything I'm able to find through some google searching is far away. Oh well. If anyone knows of anything then let me know!

Old
11-09-2010, 12:12 AM
meanolthing

Hope this doesn't come across as snooty, but have you tried checking around campus? When I was an undergrad in Philly, a few kids started an intermural roller hockey league and played on campus wherever they could find an empty space. Cool to see you're at American, I know a few of the ice hockey coaches there. Best of luck!

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 12:36 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanolthing View Post
Hope this doesn't come across as snooty, but have you tried checking around campus? When I was an undergrad in Philly, a few kids started an intermural roller hockey league and played on campus wherever they could find an empty space. Cool to see you're at American, I know a few of the ice hockey coaches there. Best of luck!
Didn't come off as snooty at all. I feel like most of the people who play hockey here are on the club ice hockey team, so I don't know how well that would go. Floor hockey maybe, but I would much prefer roller.

Are there at least any pickup games anywhere? I read something about games in front of the White House or something like that? Does that still go on? Can anyone tell me about it?

Old
11-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Didn't come off as snooty at all. I feel like most of the people who play hockey here are on the club ice hockey team, so I don't know how well that would go. Floor hockey maybe, but I would much prefer roller.

Are there at least any pickup games anywhere? I read something about games in front of the White House or something like that? Does that still go on? Can anyone tell me about it?
I played in the White House game when I was home from school one year, not all that special. Honestly, not having a car is really going to bring down your options significantly. I would try and go with a prior suggestion and formulate some pickup games on campus, maybe there's a forum for students in the union or something to similar. That's likely your best bet.

Good luck.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
sk8ersublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
I play in this league now, but 2-3 years ago we were kicked out of Rockville sports plex and now are at Ridge Road rink in Germantown. They play ball there, but some guys play puck later on sunday afternoons.

I usually play puck up at Alpha Ridge Park in Howard County, Sat afternoons. around 3pm.

sk8ersublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Slappy

they still play games on penn ave in front of the white house on saturdays and sunday (most of the time) at noon. not too bad. you get players of all skill levels and it's just for fun so it's not bad for a pickup game. just google white house hockey

Slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:28 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
they still play games on penn ave in front of the white house on saturdays and sunday (most of the time) at noon. not too bad. you get players of all skill levels and it's just for fun so it's not bad for a pickup game. just google white house hockey
Can you tell me more about this? Are the people who run it elitist *******s? Am I going to get *****ed the first few games while I try to get my skating back? Are they accepting of new people?

Old
11-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Govechkin

White House Hockey

The White House game has been going on for some time, I started going last fall and it's a lot of fun. The speed of the game is decently fast, there are some studs out there but for the most part it varies. They are pretty welcoming of new players, and they won't call you out if you can't play that well. As far as not having a car, look up some bus routes, or jump on the Tenley Metro and head down that way.

You can get on the email list, they get a head count and see if they have enough for a full game. The page should have basic info about the game (five on five, short nets, no goalies, no checking, etc).

Govechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Devil Dancer

That White House game is really hit or miss. There are some good guys and some serious d bags... but at least it's a consistent option.

And they play with a ball. **** that!

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 06:13 PM
hlundqvist30*

Last question: What age group is typically involved. I watched a few videos online and almost everyone they interviewed looked old enough to be my dad lol. I'd feel pretty awkward being an 18 year old playing against a group of older guys. Are there younger people involved too? 30's? 20's?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Old
11-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Slappy

im 26 and i go every now and then. i'd say the range is probably from about age 19 or 20 to mid 40s but the average age is probably mid to late 20s

Old
11-11-2010, 12:26 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
im 26 and i go every now and then. i'd say the range is probably from about age 19 or 20 to mid 40s but the average age is probably mid to late 20s
Awesome. I'll check it out once I get my gear from home. It sucks that there isn't anything closer but this will have to do until I get a car for school. At that point I'll come back here and you can all recruit me for your teams elsewhere

Thanks guys.

Old
11-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Devil Dancer

Yes, come back when your transportation options improve. I play in a very chill Monday pickup game on a roller rink in SE.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Yes, come back when your transportation options improve. I play in a very chill Monday pickup game on a roller rink in SE.
Awesome. Now all I have to do is convince my parents to buy me a car

By the way, to those who do not anticipate bidding for my services, think twice. My mom's best friend is in the area and more or less has access to free tickets to every Caps home game. I just got 4 for free to the Rangers game in January. I'm the complete package

Old
11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Slappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
is that the one near safeway? i am not too far away from there