HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2 goals on the PP and gomez scores, in other news hell has frozen over. Habs win!

Old
11-11-2010, 09:02 PM
bib
#believe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I don't know if we're watching the same team. Markov has been so solid.

He hasn't scored a goal a game, but he's solid defensively and he's making great breakout passes.

On top of all that he's noticeable much stronger. He's winning every battle along the boards. The only thing that needs to get back up to speed is... well... his speed.
Yeah, we're definitely not watching the same team, as you like to put it with all your wisdom. Markov is definitely putting in the effort, but he's nowhere near as steadfast defensively as he has been. He gets caught out of position every so often and is caught scrambling a little too much.

Case in point, the Bruins goal.

Not saying he's playing bad, just not his usual self. I'll give him a few weeks though, still early and knee injuries aren't the easiest to recover from, both mentally and physically.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:02 PM
prairie hab

I've been a bit hard on Eller so far, but he worked hard and lloked solid tonight. He will earn more minutes with continued play like this.

Gomez and Gio looked in top form as did our goaltender.

Subban is a beauty, as is Gorges.

Two great efforts in a row, with a 3rd coming on Saturday night.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

This might be one of the most positive threads in history in the Habs section.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Solid road game and win tonight.. Price still looking good..

Some Bruins fans just seemed pissed that there wasn't a fight or that Chara didn't try to take Price's head off with a shot since the Habs were doing it to Rask.... Just typical behavior from them when their team is losing the game late I guess..
Well you knew they wanted to goon it up, but Chara taking that penalty and Habs scoring just shut them up. Thats what we need to do, make them pay on the PP if they want to goon it up. Bruins looked slow and thats exactly what they are. I wouldn't want to see Chara and Gill in a foot race. I might run out of DVR space before they skated to the other side of the rink.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
eller's shifts, IMO, were dominant. He's gonna be something special.
Fiew. I thought i was alone for a second. 100% Truth. He has that spark.

Man can i say the PHD line is really dominant? They are really great at griding with a offensive upside & a good defensive play. I really hope Benny stays on this line because he seems to have more confidence. He plays like a grinder using his forces (shot). He digs the corner and realises that he needs to shoot when he has the chance. I'd keep benny on PHD line for a while to make these habits reflexes so whenever he goes to a top 6 role, he keeps these habits with him. I really hope he keeps his play like this it really suits him well and makes Benny the player he can/has to be.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I stay on your mind, don't I?
I respect you JayBee, just wish you new how to argue without your back against the wall before the argument has started. With all due respect though, nice to see the Habs shut you up.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Ross MacLochness

Such an awesome 2 games. Tonight was almost a flawless road game. Only thing I didn't like was Lapierre's dive to give Bruins fans more ammo.

But in the long run we still need another scoring winger, big time. Imagine 2 scoring lines with two hard working lines like we have now.

Oh and Eller, man is this guy going to be good. He does so many good things, his all-around play is solid for a 21 year old centre. Sure he still waits too long with the puck sometimes, but he's going to be sick. Once he puts on a little muscle and develops his offensive game...so excited about him.

Carey, keep doin your thing.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:06 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No way.

You're thinking this because you're only noticing the mistakes Markov makes. He's made numerous key moves that go very unnoticed. Some decision makings when it comes to simple positioning in his zone is remarkable. Some of the pinches up front that prevent breakouts are great.
But of course, some will notice the trying to grab a puck but missed it or being beaten in a corner.

Markov has played a great game and I'm seeing him getting better after every game, much better.
+1

Yes he made a mistake on the Boston goal but he was dominant all game, his hockey IQ is off the charts...

We are 10 times better with him in the lineup than without...

Plus, pleeeeeeeeeeeeese as good as Subban is, it doesn't make up for Gill immobility... he's trashing Markov, yet, what... Gill is better and more mobile...even on one leg Markov is miles away in front ???

Markov and Gorges have to defend against the Top 2 lines while Gill and Subban have the bottom ones...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Yea, Markov has deff lost a step but I'll give him time. Knee injuries are no joke. Even with him not being 100% he's still dangerous as hell.
He didn't just have a sprained knee, it was a torn ACL. The good news is, those things are like Tommy John surgery, the knee comes out even more stable because it's stronger than ever.

His acceleration is not there yet, might take 20-30 games but he's still a big plus to have in the lineup and on the PP.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:08 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Yeah, we're definitely not watching the same team, as you like to put it with all your wisdom. Markov is definitely putting in the effort, but he's nowhere near as steadfast defensively as he has been. He gets caught out of position every so often and is caught scrambling a little too much.

Not saying he's playing bad, just not his usual self. I'll give him a few weeks though, still early and knee injuries aren't the easiest to recover from, both mentally and physically.
This is not a "I hate Markov" post:

This team is continuing to kill the belief that this team NEEDS Markov in order to win. They did it last year in the playoffs, and for the better part of this season the team has managed well without him. There is no doubt the Habs are better with him in the lineup, however, I would not be surprised to see him dealt at the deadline for a top 6 bonafide scoring winger to play with Gomez/Gio, and an offensive defenseman.

Do you risk longterm money on him given his injury history, and declining play???

I feel this team has the character in the room and the positional depth to be able to part ways with Markov and have plenty of success.......... especially considering what he could likely fetch in a trade.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:08 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
This might be one of the most positive threads in history in the Habs section.
Yeah, I know. Reading this thread, I had to check to make this was still the Habs section of hfboards. lol

We've hit the Twilight zone of Habs' nirvana.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Carey Price = .923 - 2.19
He is easily one of the 3 hottest goaltenders in the league at the moment and its not only because of the team playing in front of him, he makes some huge saves every games.. Price looks like a monster in net and as biaised as I can be, I think he is the perfect goaltender.. He is technically flawless, has a perfect mix of size + agility and mentally, he is getting better and stronger.. he is so calm, poised and solid around the net, he is our Crosby, our Ovechkin, our franchise player..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:10 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

That's how he plays... and he's not out of position, but anticipating the play and pitching in like no one else in the entire NHL can do... but sometimes he gets caught and that's why you need a more conservative stay at home partner to make sure that they're not both doing it and that there's at least always a d-man covering.

Old
11-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Another win.. Coaching still suspect, Fire Jacques Martin!!
I don't like JM as our coach, but if he can deliver this type of excitement and have the team playing like they did tonight. I will gladly stop complaining about him.

Subban..tehehehe. SO excited to have a guy on our team that everyone wants.

Markov looks like he is is in game shape.

Subban is really coming into his own.

Our d is scary to play against with subban and markov eating up minutes on different lines creating tons of chances because of their ability to pass and move the puck.

Times are good.

Plan the Parade baby!ha.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:13 PM
strutsboa

I really didn't expect a win here...

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:14 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
He is easily one of the 3 hottest goaltenders in the league at the moment
This is my issue. He has never been close to top 3 in any league stat for 2 years... I don't consider him to be one of the hottest goalies either.

But I would take him before most people in the above categories, I'd take him above raask in every categorie, I'd take him abvoe Timmy Thomas in every category.

I'd even take him in front of Halak in terms of potential, but I would take halak > price in terms of development for the past 3 years ainec.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:14 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
That's how he plays... and he's not out of position, but anticipating the play and pitching in like no one else in the entire NHL can do... but sometimes he gets caught and that's why you need a more conservative stay at home partner to make sure that they're not both doing it and that there's at least always a d-man covering.
I know how Markov plays. He's been my favorite player before he was anybody's favorite player. Underrated and steadfast.

But, getting caught pinching, on your off-wing, in the defensive zone. That's boneheaded and so unlike Markov.

Old
11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Risky but....now that Gio seems to get it going. Now that Gomez scored and "could" get it going....wouldn't it be time to reunite them again so we'd pair Kosty with Pleks and Cammy again?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
I respect you JayBee, just wish you new how to argue without your back against the wall before the argument has started. With all due respect though, nice to see the Habs shut you up.
shut me up? Don't forget, I'm a fan dude. My critique is constructive and only because I want the team to get better. I said nothing negative and yet some people still feel the need to call me out. Keep in mind I say many positive things about the team and the players but you seem to pick on the negative things I say. Oh well...at least some posters agree with me

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post

This team is continuing to kill the belief that this team NEEDS Markov in order to win. They did it last year in the playoffs, and for the better part of this season the team has managed well without him. There is no doubt the Habs are better with him in the lineup, however, I would not be surprised to see him dealt at the deadline for a top 6 bonafide scoring winger to play with Gomez/Gio, and an offensive defenseman.

Do you risk longterm money on him given his injury history, and declining play???

I feel this team has the character in the room and the positional depth to be able to part ways with Markov and have plenty of success.......... especially considering what he could likely fetch in a trade.
Wow... and Markov keeps being underated by his own fan base... just wow...

Trading Markov to help the 12mil dollar men ? Right...

Positional depth ? Markov's an all-star... I didn't know we had several all-stars on our blue line ?

Markov supposely sucks, but still he's the most used D-men... I guess Martin, you know the head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, disagree with you...

In all likely hood, it's a new contract that Markov will sign to stay here and retire a hab... I can't believe this crap... he's a long time hab, was developped by the team, actually achieve greatness and people want to trade him for a rental...

Old
11-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
This is my issue. He has never been close to top 3 in any league stat for 2 years... I don't consider him to be one of the hottest goalies either.

But I would take him before most people in the above categories, I'd take him above raask in every categorie, I'd take him abvoe Timmy Thomas in every category.

I'd even take him in front of Halak in terms of potential, but I would take halak > price in terms of development for the past 3 years ainec.
I'd take me in front of Thomas with that contract! lol

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:17 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Well you knew they wanted to goon it up, but Chara taking that penalty and Habs scoring just shut them up. Thats what we need to do, make them pay on the PP if they want to goon it up. Bruins looked slow and thats exactly what they are. I wouldn't want to see Chara and Gill in a foot race. I might run out of DVR space before they skated to the other side of the rink.

That's funny.. I don't care who you are..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
I know how Markov plays. He's been my favorite player before he was anybody's favorite player. Underrated and steadfast.

But, getting caught pinching, on your off-wing, in the defensive zone. That's boneheaded and so unlike Markov.
So one bad play in an entire game = suckiness ?

Old
11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post

While this certainly won't be a popular subject on this board, props. I could definitely see Marky being traded this year. His value is still way up there and if Subban continues at this accelerated pace; we'll see. Could be a very nice return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
So one bad play in an entire game = suckiness ?
Siiiiigggggghhhhh

I'm here for non-partial hockey talk folk. Put your hype and antsyness aside

Old
11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Damn glad I rewound the game a couple times. Had to push myself in the second due to being tired and here I was initially blaming the game. Turned out to be awesome even before Gionta and Gomez - shock of the bloody frigging world - scored.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote