HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Attendance in AHL

Old
11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
ChicagoWolves1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hutch View Post
While it probably wouldn't account for such a high volume, I can say that my work was given two pairs of comped tickets for advertising the Heat. If a franchise does that for every store/company that agrees to distribute the team's pocket schedules, it can certainly add up.

Not saying it would be 2G's worth, but it's a factor for sure.
So it is a kind of barter which is a good way of helping advertise the product--that is understandable. With that kind of marketing effort, you would think then that ticket sales would be higher.

With ticket sales down some, in addition to Phantoms moving (I heard Allentown more than once), has anyone heard rumors about any other AHL teams on the move? If so, what cities would be logical to relocate a team to? Also, is there a "radius rule", where an existing team cannot be infringed upon? For example, there is a nice arena outside of Chicago, the Sears Center, that would be theoretically good for an AHL team. However, it is maybe 30 minutes from the Wolves. Hearing about all the work to keep costs down, adding a team that is easy driving distance from Rockford, Milwaukee and the Wolves could be an idea.

ChicagoWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWolves1 View Post
...Also, is there a "radius rule", where an existing team cannot be infringed upon? For example, there is a nice arena outside of Chicago, the Sears Center, that would be theoretically good for an AHL team. However, it is maybe 30 minutes from the Wolves. Hearing about all the work to keep costs down, adding a team that is easy driving distance from Rockford, Milwaukee and the Wolves could be an idea.
A couple of points on this...

1) You must not be aware of the ECHL team that is settling in for next season?

2) Quad City and Iowa weren't too far removed from either location and they no longer have franchises. (I enjoyed making the trip to Quad City from Chicago.) "No Interest" by fans in this area makes it hard to keep or woo teams back.

aparch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:41 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
With ticket sales down some, in addition to Phantoms moving (I heard Allentown more than once), has anyone heard rumors about any other AHL teams on the move?
There is no arena in Allentown for the Brooks Group to move the Phantoms to. Despite Frostbite Warrior's denial, it's never been a secret that the Brooks want the Phantoms "permanent" home to be in Allentown, but with no arena and them not willing to pony up the funds to build one, they are dependent on public funds being approved for the project. My understanding is that project has been pushed back at least another year as they will be using public funds this year to improve the highways in the area this year. So, most likely, the Phantom will stay put in Glens Falls for at least another season.

It's a bit early for the 2011-12 silly season to start, but certainly we can discuss.

The elephant in the room this season will be Springfield. Currently they are down about 300 fans per night (last night had the 2nd lowest attendance of 6 games) and Bruce Landon once again has told the fans there that if attendance doesn't improve that the Falcons ownership may have to sell the franchise. IMO an interesting development is that Colorado and Lake Erie just extended their deal, so that puts the kabosh on the Columbus to Lake Erie rumors. But, could that lead to the Blue Jackets purchasing the Falcons franchise (who only signed a one year agreement) and giving hockey another go in say Cincinnati or Lexington?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:01 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
... But, could that lead to the Blue Jackets purchasing the Falcons franchise (who only signed a one year agreement) and giving hockey another go in say Cincinnati or Lexington?
Cinci would be closer, but both could easily build off the interest Miami University has made in hockey recently.

aparch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:06 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post

2) Quad City and Iowa weren't too far removed from either location and they no longer have franchises. (I enjoyed making the trip to Quad City from Chicago.) "No Interest" by fans in this area makes it hard to keep or woo teams back.
fyi, isn't the CHL back in Quad City, w/ the merger of the UHL/IHL and the Central Hockey League, aparch....

also, how many ECHL franchises have been promoted to the AHL? (Hampton Roads became Norfolk; Peoria AFTER the Blues LEFT Worcester; AND MOST RECENTLY THE TRANSFER of Albany's franchise to Charlotte).

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:06 PM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:

Thanks guys. No, did not hear about an ECHL team coming. Sears Center for 11-12? Team is coming from another city?

Old
11-11-2010, 03:22 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Thanks guys. No, did not hear about an ECHL team coming. Sears Center for 11-12? Team is coming from another city?
NOT EXACTLY, The Hounds tried to make a go of it in the UHL/IHL out of Hoffman Estates back in 2006, but basically the only correlation is the venue and the owner; a former minority partner in the Rockford IceHogs(who technically are the franchise in Cincinnati)....

http://www.chicagoexpress.com

Old
11-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Frank Booth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Yes.... clearly that's where it came from. If you don't want to believe it, hey that's your right, but I can tell you I've been around the Bulldogs management people enough to know a think or two about how things operate.

And, yes, AHL execs have access to much more information than you or I do... but I'm sure you don't believe that either.
Maybe those Bulldog executives should worry more about selling tickets and sponsorship for their franchise, which they have done such a great job , than worrying about what other teams do. There is no revenue sharing in the AHL, at least that I've ever heard from. And maybe next time you can actually name the franchise that you and you Bulldogs' buddy are talking about instead of posting a blind item. Chances are though that team will be playing in the AHL right where it is long after the Bulldogs are long gone. And it's won't be because an NHL team is replacing them.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
Maybe those Bulldog executives should worry more about selling tickets and sponsorship for their franchise, which they have done such a great job , than worrying about what other teams do. There is no revenue sharing in the AHL, at least that I've ever heard from. And maybe next time you can actually name the franchise that you and you Bulldogs' buddy are talking about instead of posting a blind item. Chances are though that team will be playing in the AHL right where it is long after the Bulldogs are long gone. And it's won't be because an NHL team is replacing them.
The franchise in question is the Lake Erie Monsters..... but you already knew that.

As for taking shots at the Bulldogs........ man are you slow, I've already mentioned that earlier in this thread.........

Quote:
NO, great NHL market.
Same as above, NHL market.
Someone understands.
This is the biggest misconception on ice today.

The Leaf crazed nation also extends into Hamilton, helping to explain part of the Bulldogs lack of attendance........ but don't worry, in 2 years the Laval Bulldogs will draw very well.
Other reasons for the poor Bulldogs attendance is one ticket price around the arena, no cheap seats. The economy around here has completely tanked, especially the manufacturing industry were many of the hockey fans come from. And marketing has become almost non-existent, it's almost like they are counting the days till they can leave.

But ultimately wearing the Canadiens CH in Leaf country may be the ultimate death notice for this team...... I don't believe the Leafs farm team would last 15+ years in Laval or any other city on the outskirts of Montreal either.

If they pack up and head to somewhere where they are more wanted I'm perfectly OK with that.... it was a good run, got to see Championships won... and lost.

Has Cleveland even made the playoffs since entering the AHL back in 2001?... Oh, yeah... once... and who did they lose to?

Some form of an AHL team may stay in Cleveland for years to come but the way I see if past history is any indicator it will take till about the year 2050 for them to match the 16 playoff series wins the Bulldogs have accomplished here.

Oh, and before I go I will say that you are right about one thing there will never be an NHL team in Hamilton... the Maple Leafs and their connections will not allow it. However if the Bulldogs do leave for Laval or some other city the AHL might not be dead in Hamilton.

Curt Styres, the Amerks owner has made his fortune from the Grand River Tobacco operations.... if you don't know the Oshweken reserve isn't too far from Hamilton Ontario.
If you've read this thread you have undoubtedly read about the Amerks problems... well it seems Mr. Styres is suppose to have some interest in moving his team northward if an opening was to appear north of the border. Of course this is very early and he still hopes that things turn around in Rochester, but he is looking for options if Rochester continues down it current road. But again I'm the one posting this so you can be sure it's just all made up.

Blue'sClues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Frank Booth

So what's next from you, a "my dad's bigger than your dad" post? Or another blind item post? Are you working on a resume to become a page 3 gossip columnist?

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:10 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
fyi, isn't the CHL back in Quad City, w/ the merger of the UHL/IHL and the Central Hockey League, aparch....

also, how many ECHL franchises have been promoted to the AHL? (Hampton Roads became Norfolk; Peoria AFTER the Blues LEFT Worcester; AND MOST RECENTLY THE TRANSFER of Albany's franchise to Charlotte).
Item #1.......Yes hutch the CHL is in Quad City now.....as for being "back" well I'm not sure they were ever there maybe you can shed some light on that after all you are the professor.

Item #2.......HUH!?!?!?!?!?

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:08 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
The franchise in question is the Lake Erie Monsters..... but you already knew that.

As for taking shots at the Bulldogs........ man are you slow, I've already mentioned that earlier in this thread.........

Other reasons for the poor Bulldogs attendance is one ticket price around the arena, no cheap seats. The economy around here has completely tanked, especially the manufacturing industry were many of the hockey fans come from. And marketing has become almost non-existent, it's almost like they are counting the days till they can leave.

But ultimately wearing the Canadiens CH in Leaf country may be the ultimate death notice for this team...... I don't believe the Leafs farm team would last 15+ years in Laval or any other city on the outskirts of Montreal either.

If they pack up and head to somewhere where they are more wanted I'm perfectly OK with that.... it was a good run, got to see Championships won... and lost.

Has Cleveland even made the playoffs since entering the AHL back in 2001?... Oh, yeah... once... and who did they lose to?

Some form of an AHL team may stay in Cleveland for years to come but the way I see if past history is any indicator it will take till about the year 2050 for them to match the 16 playoff series wins the Bulldogs have accomplished here.

Oh, and before I go I will say that you are right about one thing there will never be an NHL team in Hamilton... the Maple Leafs and their connections will not allow it. However if the Bulldogs do leave for Laval or some other city the AHL might not be dead in Hamilton.

Curt Styres, the Amerks owner has made his fortune from the Grand River Tobacco operations.... if you don't know the Oshweken reserve isn't too far from Hamilton Ontario.
If you've read this thread you have undoubtedly read about the Amerks problems... well it seems Mr. Styres is suppose to have some interest in moving his team northward if an opening was to appear north of the border. Of course this is very early and he still hopes that things turn around in Rochester, but he is looking for options if Rochester continues down it current road. But again I'm the one posting this so you can be sure it's just all made up.
then why did Edmonton pull out, Blue's, if Montreal hadn't had the franchise available, would Aulander have agreed to sign w/ the Canadiens, and then purchased a piece of that legendary franchise, otherwise Hamilton would sink further into oblivion being stuck competing w/ both the Leafs and Sabres, or not having a franchise at all.

What does Styres and Rochester have to do w/ Gilbert's recent extension w/ Colorado for his franchise he bought anyway?.... everybody w/ any AHL Knowledge knew Florida had a bad track record going into San Antonio....

Old
11-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:

Franchises do not get promoted, this isn't Europe. All of those are franchises moved from somewhere else and replaced the lower league franchises.

Quote:
NOT EXACTLY, The Hounds tried to make a go of it in the UHL/IHL out of Hoffman Estates back in 2006, but basically the only correlation is the venue and the owner; a former minority partner in the Rockford IceHogs(who technically are the franchise in Cincinnati)....

http://www.chicagoexpress.com
Exactly, the ECHL team in Hoffman Estates is being moved from somewhere else - the ECHL scrap pile of dormant teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Item #1.......Yes hutch the CHL is in Quad City now.....as for being "back" well I'm not sure they were ever there maybe you can shed some light on that after all you are the professor.

Item #2.......HUH!?!?!?!?!?

Hello newman...........

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:28 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Hello newman...........
Greetings

Old
11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
then why did Edmonton pull out, Blue's, if Montreal hadn't had the franchise available, would Aulander have agreed to sign w/ the Canadiens, and then purchased a piece of that legendary franchise, otherwise Hamilton would sink further into oblivion being stuck competing w/ both the Leafs and Sabres, or not having a franchise at all.

What does Styres and Rochester have to do w/ Gilbert's recent extension w/ Colorado for his franchise he bought anyway?.... everybody w/ any AHL Knowledge knew Florida had a bad track record going into San Antonio....
Edmonton pulled out because of the sweetheart deal they got to become the Toronto Roadrunners. Andlauer was only a 1/8th partner at first so I don't know what he would have done.... it's safe to say though that he only became majority shareholder because it was in fact Montreal.

Don't know what Gilbert and Styres have to do with each other either, never said they did......just simply responding to the poster telling me that Cleveland will still have a team long after Hamilton losses the Bulldogs.

Old
11-12-2010, 05:34 PM
adsfan

Quote:

QC wasn't drawing well and their parent club keeps moving the team every two years. Omaha before and Abbotsford after. I wonder where they will play next year?

Iowa had shady owners and idiots on their staff. I read some of their postings. They would get the names of opponents wrong, they would tell you that a player scored 2 goals when he scored one in a game. They would use poor grammer, which is very bad for people who are being paid to write. I don't expect the same standards from the average person on this website. Iowa was one of the bottom four teams in attendance in the AHL, as was QC for 2007-08.

adsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

Very unflattering arcticle in The Vancouver Province on Abbotsford's attendance woes.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ra...397/story.html

Rocko604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:59 PM
HullToSelanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
There is no arena in Allentown for the Brooks Group to move the Phantoms to. Despite Frostbite Warrior's denial, it's never been a secret that the Brooks want the Phantoms "permanent" home to be in Allentown, but with no arena and them not willing to pony up the funds to build one, they are dependent on public funds being approved for the project. My understanding is that project has been pushed back at least another year as they will be using public funds this year to improve the highways in the area this year. So, most likely, the Phantom will stay put in Glens Falls for at least another season.

It's a bit early for the 2011-12 silly season to start, but certainly we can discuss.

The elephant in the room this season will be Springfield. Currently they are down about 300 fans per night (last night had the 2nd lowest attendance of 6 games) and Bruce Landon once again has told the fans there that if attendance doesn't improve that the Falcons ownership may have to sell the franchise. IMO an interesting development is that Colorado and Lake Erie just extended their deal, so that puts the kabosh on the Columbus to Lake Erie rumors. But, could that lead to the Blue Jackets purchasing the Falcons franchise (who only signed a one year agreement) and giving hockey another go in say Cincinnati or Lexington?
I know this may seem crazy, but I think that Philly should demolish the Spectrum piece-by-piece and send the parts to Lehigh Valley and rebuild it

HullToSelanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:22 AM
ChicagoWolves1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Very unflattering arcticle in The Vancouver Province on Abbotsford's attendance woes.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ra...397/story.html
Thank you RWC--very interesting article, especially coming from Abb's backyard. A few thoughts:

1. Read the replies after the article--interesting as well.

2. It is a minor miracle that an AHL team got an article written about it period. I never see anything in the media here about the Wolves--bigger market I know, blah blah blah. Still no excuse why the AHL can't get some coverage.

3. Having your enemy's team in your town--not condusive to the warm and fuzzies.

4. An outpost team in an outpost city where the AHL is concerned. On borrowed time I am afraid unless you can get a few more teams dispersed in that area. That is not happening so the clock ticks until a move comes.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
2. It is a minor miracle that an AHL team got an article written about it period. I never see anything in the media here about the Wolves--bigger market I know, blah blah blah. Still no excuse why the AHL can't get some coverage.

3. Having your enemy's team in your town--not condusive to the warm and fuzzies.
#2 Sadly if it's a negative article relating to an AHL club, those tend to get printed more often.

#3 Re- Montreal's farm team in the middle of Leaf Nation, as they call it, here in southern Ontario.

Old
11-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Delete---nevermind

Old
11-13-2010, 01:28 PM
The Hutch

It's an unfortunate circumstance that the comments based from the article are so uninformed. They talk about the Chilliwack Bruins and what that team does for the community, yet there's no knowledge or acknowledgement of the fact that the Heat used their 50/50 draw to supplement the 16K that was slashed from the budget of Abbotsford minor hockey. There is so much going on with the team that is directly tied to the community, yet this article and it's subsequent comments acts like the Flames have stormed into town and shove Calgary down our throats.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:23 PM
axecrew

Sorry the hutch but this dissension was predicted by many on here,myself included, from the first "rumors' of a team there. We've been saying all along that it would be another 2 and done proposition. It's no shock to many of us that the town is balking at subsidizing the heat. I said, back before all this came about, that it would only take a year before townspeople would start complaining about the money going to the team and not being used for other things like schools, roads, etc.
The fact that you've plopped a Calgary farm team in the middle of Vancouver territory definately hasn't helped. And then to ask the townspeople to basically pay for it all was/is too much. Enjoy this season,but don't be shocked if they break the lease and move or the town lets them out of it by mutual agreement.

Old
11-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HullToSelanne View Post
I know this may seem crazy, but I think that Philly should demolish the Spectrum piece-by-piece and send the parts to Lehigh Valley and rebuild it
Seem crazy ???

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Seem crazy ???
Crazy? Yes, but not unheard of......

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/29...tlanta-suburb/