HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2010, 03:49 AM
shelby82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post

On the plus side, I keep my middle nut.
well i know that your middle nut is important to you but at this moment in our franchise we need a solid stay at home defencemen. not a top six forward in wich we will acuire in the off season......hopefully.I know i sound like a broken record but what would we be able to package kuba with to obtain this. Last year we were searching for the hard to find puck moving dman in wich we found now we need the opposit...who could fill this role that could stay with this team past this year?????we need two elite players there is no dman on the free agent list in 2011 that i would want so we are going to need this via trade.... lets hear some options guys ive just ran out of actual reasonable ideas.

Old
11-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Cherith Cutestory

Can't say I'm surprised about the Carter deal, most teams seem to like the idea of keeping their star players around.

This team is going to have to rely on players from within to step up, and if we dont see that then were gonna have to put one of our young defenseman out there via trade. There are only 2 forwards left out there (Semin and Richards) who are legit top-6 and arguably top-3 guys that I would want Murray to snatch up. Given that there are very few all-star forwards making it to RFA or UFA these days, Murray (assuming its him for the time being) is gonna have to throw big contracts at them; this is the only way for us to get more of a presence up front.

Gagne would be nice, but he strikes me as another Kovalev-type guy who COULD bring a lot to the table, but may or may not (Im not suggesting Gagne is lazy or turns it on and off like Kovie does, just that hes a question mark at his age). Parise is a pipe-dream, Lou will get him signed Im sure. Realistically (unless/until theyre signed) its Semin or Richards. We lose out on either or both of them, we gotta go trade route.

Old
11-12-2010, 08:00 AM
wilfred

Semin and Richards are going to make alot of money this offseason if they get to free agent route.

Old
11-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Kuba will be enough to improve the defense for now. Iginla or Savard via trade in the offseason. Dangle fisher plus.

Old
11-12-2010, 08:16 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

No reason to give up Kuba for a shut down guy. Campoli or Folig, maybe with a bit added, could probably get us a very good shutdown dman back. As said earlier in the thread, a guy like Bryan Allen would be exactly what youre looking for.

Also, in reference to the post above, would people be willing to look at something around Fisher and Filpula? Something like Fisher+Campoli for Hudler+Filppula would be interesting

Old
11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
wilfred

The question is does Ottawa risk the future for the present, personally I think Ottawa would need several pieces to compete for the cup this year. unfortunately, they don't have the cap space or the assets to aquire the pieces necessary for a cup run.

IMO Ottawa would need

1- Stay at home d-man (Regehr)
2- Top sniper (Iginla)
3- Goalie (Vokoun)

If Ottawa wants to win a cup in the next 2-3 years (for Alfy) they are going to have to make some big moves, and risk the future.

Old
11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Suiteness

Iginla was a top sniper 5 years ago. Semin would make more sense but we're not getting him.

Old
11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post

On the plus side, I keep my middle nut.
Middle nut . . . . .

Old
11-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Suiteness

James van Riemsdyk is currently riding pine in Philly, healthy scratch for the past two games. He can't get in the lineup because the Flyers are too damn deep (When he plays, he barely gets 10 minutes)

Now that's the kind of forward we should be going after. I'd offer Folingo and our 1st round pick this year. I doubt it's enough but it gets the ball rolling.

JVR-Regin-Alfredsson, now that's a second line.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:14 AM
JoeSakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
James van Riemsdyk is currently riding pine in Philly, healthy scratch for the past two games. He can't get in the lineup because the Flyers are too damn deep (When he plays, he barely gets 10 minutes)

Now that's the kind of forward we should be going after. I'd offer Folingo and our 1st round pick this year. I doubt it's enough but it gets the ball rolling.

JVR-Regin-Alfredsson, now that's a second line.
Wait. Who's on the first line then?

Old
11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic View Post
Wait. Who's on the first line then?
Michalek-Spezza-Kovalev

Old
11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I suspect Foligno+1st would be decent value for JVR. And I'd do it

Old
11-12-2010, 10:38 AM
The Fuhr*

It would probably cost Foligno + Wiercioch + 1st rd pick

The Flyers are not forced to trade JVR... they could easily send him to the AHL for minutes

Old
11-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
It would probably cost Foligno + Wiercioch + 1st rd pick

The Flyers are not forced to trade JVR... they could easily send him to the AHL for minutes
I make that trade in a second still.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:46 AM
The Fuhr*

I'd do it too

Old
11-12-2010, 11:02 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Iginla was a top sniper 5 years ago. Semin would make more sense but we're not getting him.
more like 2 years ago

Old
11-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
I'd do it too
Agreed.

I picked JVR for my pool this year thinking he should be good for 50 points: no more Gagner should have translated into more ice-time but he hasn't be able to make the most of it.

Still, I would be very very surprised if Philly gave up on him in his first full year in the NHL. In fact, I'm going to say that getting JVR would be impossible unless someone overpays.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
kyle747

If Semin makes it to UFA, I see no reason not to chase him. There is zero truth to Ottawa not being a desired location for FA.

Even Pronger has mentioned Ottawa as a preferred destination in the past, I mean who the **** would rather live in one of those giant ****holes that the NE cities in the US have become?

Old
11-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
If Semin makes it to UFA, I see no reason not to chase him. There is zero truth to Ottawa not being a desired location for FA.

Even Pronger has mentioned Ottawa as a preferred destination in the past, I mean who the **** would rather live in one of those giant ****holes that the NE cities in the US have become?
What worries me is our track record of signing UFAs under the age of 30.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post

The track record speaks for itself: for whatever reasons (and I'm sure there are many, countless even) Ottawa is just not good at getting FA to sign here.

Gonchar is the biggest one yet and I'd say it's not that big of a deal: he's great and all but just like Kovalev the only reason Murray landed him was because he was willing to give the extra year. Sounds like a bit of desperation to me (but I'm not knocking Murray for that) but on the plus side he got things done by taking a gamble.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:42 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
There haven't been many notable under 30 UFAs. I don't think it would be an issue.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:45 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Fair enough. On the other hand there tends to be a lot more FA over the age of thirty than under, that has to be a contributing factor.

But we have cap space and need. I guess it will depend on who is GM at the end of the year. New GM's always want to take time to evaluate, we can only hope the franchise has some sense of urgency this off-season.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The track record speaks for itself: for whatever reasons (and I'm sure there are many, countless even) Ottawa is just not good at getting FA to sign here.

Gonchar is the biggest one yet and I'd say it's not that big of a deal: he's great and all but just like Kovalev the only reason Murray landed him was because he was willing to give the extra year. Sounds like a bit of desperation to me (but I'm not knocking Murray for that) but on the plus side he got things done by taking a gamble.
Sens have never really had cap space, and when we have we generally "address a need" i.e Gerber, Kovalev, Gonchar... Sure, not all of them have panned out and Kovalev definitely was a desperation move but he had to be. The Heatley situation made it difficult to commit salary early in the off-season. The Sens have made a splash in the FA market every time they have cap space, we just had a general core locked up to a lot of money for a long time. This is our first offseason where we really have the money and the cap space to compete for players.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
There haven't been many notable under 30 UFAs. I don't think it would be an issue.
I think Ottawa is attractive to UFAs that have families. It's a great city for a young family to live. Good schools, comparatively very safe, lots of recreation, really low pollution, clean streets, small city vibe but still has around 1 million fan base.

It's a great spot if you've got young kids, but if you're a 20 something bachelor stud pro-NHLer, it might seem kind of lame.

Old
11-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Cherith Cutestory

Quote:
Well to be fair there haven't been that many big names that have changed teams on July 1st. The few that come to mind are Bowmeester, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Hossa. The only contract those who I would have been ok with would have been Gaborik, but at the time he was a HUGE bandaid.

Closed Thread