HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price showing what he can do when he's ON

Old
11-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Erik Estrada

vCash: 500
Piling the Ws. He's been great. Go Carey!!!

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Not surprised at all by his play, I was never worried about goaltending for the Habs...lost in all the ridiculous hooplah surrounding the Halak trade was that Carey Price is/was/will be a very good goalie.

Somewhere between Halak having so much success and his trade, an illusion that Carey Price was a sieve somehow developed...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not surprised at all by his play, I was never worried about goaltending for the Habs...lost in all the ridiculous hooplah surrounding the Halak trade was that Carey Price is/was/will be a very good goalie.

Somewhere between Halak having so much success and his trade, an illusion that Carey Price was a sieve somehow developed...
Beautifully written and couldn't agree anymore.

Carey Price did not play nearly as bad as anyone made it out to be. The funny part is he put up very respectable numbers yet some people actually were saying that he was a bust. Yah a 22 year old goalie busting with .912 SV%.

If people actually thought Price would fail this year(the only thing that worried me was the pressure from our dumb fans rather than his play) then they are dumb. It's pretty clear that Carey will be a pretty good goalie. He's 23, still developing, we won't find out how truly good he is for another little while. But he hasn't surprised me one bit, we all knew he could play this way.

By far our team's MVP this year, so far.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:08 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
Price played resonably well last year just his counterpart played better no doubt about it.

Now that he is the only sheriff in town he has been pretty good to say the least
he has stolen a few games this year that is forsure.
Hope he keeps it up!

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Carey Price showing what he can do when he's ON

When he's ON what?

Just joking, couldn't resist. Yeah, Price is playing some fine hockey.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
I'm thinking of changing my username for something related to Carey.
Did it in the preseason to help with the boos and it was my therapy to get over losing #41.

I knew Price had it in him, I just didn't think the fans would give him a chance if he had a few stinkers in a row. At least now if he has a bad game (like Halak's Bluejacket loss) the fans won't ask for him to be traded the next day because of how great he has played so far. Well, maybe I take that back, it is Montreal & you know how crazy the fans get after a loss....

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:13 AM
habsjunkie2*

Price is playing the best hockey of his NHL career. He looks completely focused and putting up consistently good performances, especially the last 3 or 4, he's really found his groove .

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

The biggest difference between this year and last year for Price is that he doesn't allow the same kind of soft goals he did last year, his concentration is out of this world now.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:04 AM
OneSharpMarble

The guy really is unreal with his puck handling. I hope he can keep his confidence up, the habs have always relied heavily on their goaltenders.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
The biggest difference between this year and last year for Price is that he doesn't allow the same kind of soft goals he did last year, his concentration is out of this world now.
I agree completely. Last year he ALWAYS let in a soft goal. It was just expected. This year he seems to be focused for 60 minutes without any mental lapses. I am much less nervous seeing him in nets and who knows, maybe it's his confidence rubbing off or the coaching system but the whole team seems a lot more poised as a whole and is developing some serious chemistry.

The question is, how many games is he going to play this season? Don't get me wrong, there is no way you sit Price, no way no how... I say ride the hot hand while the going is good but we did the same thing his rookie year and he was burnt out come play off time.

Bryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:21 AM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
another point is that anytime he does say allow a weak goal, he doesn't look completely deflated or defeated, his confidence and concentration are definitely on another level right now.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

Yeah and I got flak for saying I was glad he was on our team when he allowed 4 goals in a preseason game.

Haters gonna hate.

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Ginu

Only Boston and Florida have given up fewer goals than us in the East and we've played 3 more games I believe than both of them. Way to go Carey

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Seifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
I'm thinking of changing my username for something related to Carey.
Well, anything not related to Jason Allison will be an upgrade!

Seifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
coolasprICE

he's regained his cool as ice play

honestly kudos to the organization and goalie coach ...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Only Boston and Florida have given up fewer goals than us in the East and we've played 3 more games I believe than both of them. Way to go Carey
That's a great point.

And it feels like our offence is starting to stir as well.

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudemain View Post
Yeah and I got flak for saying I was glad he was on our team when he allowed 4 goals in a preseason game.

Haters gonna hate.
Dude don't say that, they'll use it as another excuse to destroy an otherwise good thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I just want to write him an open letter about how much we appreciate him even though the obnoxious fans are the most vocals.

I'm with you, Carey.
This was said in that thread and I couldn't agree more. Maybe Carey reads HF and sees there are a lot of us nerds online who do support him

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Frankenheimer

Biggest thing I notice is how calm he is. Amazing how much confidence can affect play.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:37 PM
holyhabs

[QUOTE=Bryson;28898418]The question is, how many games is he going to play this season? Don't get me wrong, there is no way you sit Price, no way no how... I say ride the hot hand while the going is good but we did the same thing his rookie year and he was burnt out come play off time.[/QUOTE]

I think he was burnt out because he had played a lot of hockey leading up to his run in the NHL. WHL, World Juniors and the AHL playoffs is a lot of hockey to play at a high level in a short span of time. He also sustained an injury to his finger which did not help.

I do have concerns about the number of games he plays but he barely played after the Olympics last year, so he is really fresh for this year and obviously the off-ice activities are not the same as that 08 run either. He is in much better shape.

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Frankenheimer

It's hard to imagine how you sit Price for any games, but at the same time there are very few goalies who have played 70+ games in the regular season and performed well in the playoffs. Brodeur is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Roy always played in the low 60s. That's 18-20 games on the bench.

Last year, Price's play stumbled after playing a month straight. It's a hard call for a coach, but it has to be taken into consideration for the long run.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

I never doubted the ability of Price. What I wondered, was whether he needed a change of scenery to find his game from late 2008. You look back at everything he's been through in this market already, and you had to have had a little seedling of doubt, if nothing else

Hopefully, he can keep it going.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
It's hard to imagine how you sit Price for any games, but at the same time there are very few goalies who have played 70+ games in the regular season and performed well in the playoffs. Brodeur is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Roy always played in the low 60s. That's 18-20 games on the bench.

Last year, Price's play stumbled after playing a month straight. It's a hard call for a coach, but it has to be taken into consideration for the long run.
My guess is that if the season goes well and we're heading easily into the playoff comes trade deadline, We'll see JM plays Auld more often. If Price can benefit from a lighter schedule in the end of the season, he won't have any problem in the playoff.

But since we're far from immune to a few injuries and a few bad stretch, I would continue playing Price like we do right now. We need to rack up wins. Benching your best goalie 'cause he could get tired down the road is a luxury I'm not yet ready to take.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Dont Poke Subban
25th is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
When he's ON what?

Just joking, couldn't resist. Yeah, Price is playing some fine hockey.
Whatever it was Halak was smoking last year, he must've shared it with Price before he left.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Biggest thing I notice is how calm he is. Amazing how much confidence can affect play.
I think when he said "chill" during the preseason, it gave him the confidence he needed especially after he said it, bell centre fans actually "chilled." lol

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:26 PM
BREWINZ

I come in peace! Price was great. Played really aggressive and he got rewarded for it. This kid's the real thing.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

If Gomez/Gionta both start playing at the level we expect them to play (and last game against Boston certainly was a good start), I'd be fine with letting Auld play a bit more games. After all, in his only start, he did have a stellar outing. So it's not like we have to expect a sure loss every time we don't start Price.

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote