HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Mario Lefebvre: Canada Fully Deserves Three More NHL Franchises

Old
11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Pegger5

vCash: 500
Mario Lefebvre: Canada Fully Deserves Three More NHL Franchises

Canada Fully Deserves Three More NHL Franchises
By Mario Lefebvre - Director, Centre for Municipal Studies
http://www.conferenceboard.ca/econom...ranchises.aspx

Quote:
Hot Topics in Economics
Canada Fully Deserves Three More NHL Franchises
November 11, 2010
Mario Lefebvre
Director, Centre for Municipal Studies

My 12 years-plus stay at The Conference Board of Canada has been really fascinating. I knew that economics can be applied to several different fields, but I never thought that as part of my job I could actually get to talk about economics and sports. For example, this past summer I was incredibly fortunate to be asked to participate in a special documentary entitled Why Not Canada, which was broadcast on The Sports Network (TSN). In this documentary, I was asked, among other things, how many more Canadian cities could be home to a National Hockey League (NHL) franchise. I answered “three” without the slightest hesitation -- Hamilton, Quebec City and Winnipeg. Let me explain why.

There are four pillars to the success of a professional sport organization. They are: 1) the size of the market; 2) the wealth of the market; 3) a sound corporate presence; and 4) a level playing field. Let’s quickly examine each in turn.

<more>

Last edited by Fugu: 11-12-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: copyright, link is broken
Pegger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:40 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

The only problem I see is that if you give Winnipeg, Quebec and Hamilton NHL teams you know what will happen next. Toronto will want one too....

<Rim Shot>

...But seriously. The goal of the NHL is its proliferation into the mindset of the American sportsfan. 3 more Canadian teams may in fact raise overall revenues in the interim, but will hamper the development of the American fascination with the game. As a Canadian I would love every small borough access to the NHL. As someone, who believe it or not, has a business mind disagrees with the suggested premise.

For the NHL to succed they need to maintain their American presence and get rid of the notion that paying 58% of revenue to the players is 'a good thing'.

Last edited by AllByDesign: 11-12-2010 at 12:48 PM.
AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

How many additional US cities deserve teams using those criteria?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:44 PM
CC Chiefs*

Same ice cream just a different flavor. Don't we have enough of these?

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

the concept of who does and doesnt "deserve" a team makes me laugh

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

What are we, America's little sister that's throwing a temper tantrum because we didn't get to lick the cake mix off the spatula?

"Deserves" has nothing to do with it, and I get a little more embarrassed every time I hear a Canadian say it.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Jeffrey93

I could have written this exact same thing...not very insightful. Anyone with a head on their shoulders knows what this article has said or could easily find it out.

Hopefully the more 'in depth' stuff has a lot more to it.

I'm biased but where it talks about the corporate presence and wealth of the market....it isn't really mentioned that Hamilton is surrounded by massive population as well as corporate population and also incredible wealth. The City can hold it's own by itself..but has a very strong 'supporting cast'.

Moot point I guess, since it appears clear all three would be quite capable of providing the support necessary.

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Confucius

We know already, make it 9

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
the concept of who does and doesnt "deserve" a team makes me laugh
Reading the word 'deserve' makes me shudder. Because people take it so far out of context and warp it into a declaration of entitlement, which it isn't.

To get a team in the NHL (through expansion or relocation) it needs to be shown that the market is 'deserving' of an NHL franchise. Meaning, it has the ability and desire to support the franchise.

It's like saying "He deserves to win..he trains really hard and gives it his all. Nobody is more deserving of this award than he is." That doesn't mean this guy feels entitled to the award....just that he is deserving of it.

People need to realize there is a difference.

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:53 PM
jessebelanger

Is this really an analysis? He provides no information, no facts, no figures, nothing referenced.

This is simply an essay that is no different then any other essay written by any of the members of this board.

His first point was laughable, I don't think I need to expand on that. I don't disagree that a team can be successful in a small market, but...come on buddy, provide some real information.

His 3rd point was ??? What is he basing Corporate presence on? Businesses? Size of businesses? Employees making over X number? Where is the information?

His 4th point missed one of the biggest things going for these smaller cities - the salary cap/revenue sharing that is in place now that was not in place in 1996.

Also where did he come up with these 4 pillars of successfull sport organizations? These are important factors, yes, but it seems completely arbitrary to just claim that this particular set of factors are the be-all and end-all to sport franchises.

Did this guy do any research or is this just a small piece of a greater body of work... ?

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Open for business.