Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The WHL Regular Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Rshields

vCash: 500
Wheats took 2 wins off US teams last week end,with Portland coming in next week. May have Schenn back by then.
Regina took Portland to overtime tonight.
Brandon has to many rookies to make a run. You never know what to expect from them game to game. That said, thier vets are the ones not working hard enough in the defesive zone.

Old
11-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Giants lose 5-1 to the Bruins. I hope they're bag skated for that performance.

Old
11-12-2010, 01:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Giants lose 5-1 to the Bruins. I hope they're bag skated for that performance.
How has Musil looked so far?

Old
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM
johnnydrum

Hello WHL fans.
Sorry that I posted this message on the main board, but thought perhaps it would be viewd more here.

Greetings from England.
Could anyone give me a scouting report/ links etc on Lethbridges Alex Kuvaev.
Any Hurricane fans able to give me an insight into the key players on the team etc.??
As a keen follower of the OHL, (the Sarnia Sting in perticular), I wasnt aware that there was any Russians playing in the WHL, so would be delighted to hear more.

I am hoping that Kuvaev is going to catch fire. I saw some clips of his goals against Vancouver and some great moves against Brandon, and he looked sensational.

I gather the WHL is a tougher league for imports...?
Anyone with more WHL scouting, or who can give me a talent round up (best forwards/best D-Men/Goalies/Tough guys etc, in fact any info on the WHL, please feel free, either here, or email-- johnnydrummond@hotmail.co.uk

Old
11-12-2010, 07:18 PM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

I was at the bruins game on Thursday and saw Soudek get back checked by Vannieuwenhuizen. I hope he gets at least five games. Feels good to beat Vancouver!

Old
11-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Just got back from Rockets/Cougars game. Kelowna looks like I hoped they would now. Won 6 straight now and really starting to click. Barrie is pissing me off but putting up points. He is playing very "greedy", rarely passing to his D partner on the PP and just looks like he thinks he is "too cool for the room", but putting up points. McColgan is playing well and Callahan looks impressive. Severson, the 16 year old defenseman is very impressive but Barrie just wont pass to him when he is wide open. Almost like Barrie thinks a 16 year old shouldnt be out there with him. Connolly for PG was basically invisible tonight but it was just one game. Jesse Forsberg is one of the dirtiest cheapshot players I have seen in a long time as well, took several stupid penalties. Again, just one game but for a projected high draft pick I was very unimpressed.

Old
11-15-2010, 11:24 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwackBruins View Post
I was at the bruins game on Thursday and saw Soudek get back checked by Vannieuwenhuizen. I hope he gets at least five games. Feels good to beat Vancouver!
7 games for him.

was there too. as soon as i seen the hit i knew it would be a lengthy suspension,

Old
11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
How has Musil looked so far?
His point totals seem to be on pace from last year, but he hasn't seemed to make the step you'd expect to see from a 17 year old who has a good rookie season.

I haven't been to many games this season but of the ones I've been to, Musil was a non-factor.

For what it's worth, he's ranked #4 in the WHL on the NHL's Central Scouting Preliminary Domestic list.

Old
11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
His point totals seem to be on pace from last year, but he hasn't seemed to make the step you'd expect to see from a 17 year old who has a good rookie season.

I haven't been to many games this season but of the ones I've been to, Musil was a non-factor.

For what it's worth, he's ranked #4 in the WHL on the NHL's Central Scouting Preliminary Domestic list.
Here's the WHL list....

Skaters:

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins FW, Red Deer
2. Sven Bartschi FW, Portland
3. Ty Rattie FW, Portland
4. David Musil D, Vancouver
5. Joe Morrow D, Portland
6. Mark McNeill FW, Prince Albert
7. Myles Bell D, Regina
8. Duncan Siemens D, Saskatoon
9. Tyler Wotherspoon D, Portland
10. Colin Jacobs FW, Seattle
11. Kale Kessy FW, Medicine Hat
12. Luke Lockhart FW, Seattle
13. Marcel Noebels FW, Seattle
14. Adam Lowry FW, Swift Current
15. Shane McColgan FW, Kelowna
16. Brent Benson FW, Saskatoon
17. Michael St. Croix FW, Edmonton
18. Mitch Topping D, Chilliwack
19. Travis Ewanyk FW, Edmonton
20. Reece Scarlett D, Swift Current
21. Matej Stransky FW, Saskatoon
22. Brady Brassart FW, Spokane
23. Anthony Bardaro FW, Spokane
24. Dylan Busenius D, Medicine Hat
25. Zach Yuen D, Tri-City
LV. Marek Tvrdon FW, Vancouver (LV= Limited Viewings)

Goalies:

1. Liam Liston Brandon
2. Eric Williams Prince Albert
3. Brendan Jensen Vancouver
4. Laurent Brossoit Edmonton
5. Brett Teskey Kootenay
6. Mac Engel Spokane

My take:

Some surprises and some things that arent so surprising.

- Its not at all shocking to see Ryan Nugent-Hopkins sitting at first on the list. He has been on that perch for quite some time now, and will likely stay there for the remainder of the year.

- Some people might be shocked to see Swiss forward Sven Bartschi ahead of teammate Ty Rattie on the list. I, for one, am not. I think Bartschi is grittier, and is a better all around player than Rattie is. He may not have as much flair and dynamic, gamebreaking ability, but Bartschi is the better total package.

- David Musil has held steady in the top 5. Some people think he could still be the first defenseman taken in the draft this summer because he is a very safe, but effective player. Some scouting agencies have him sliding down the rankings.

- The biggest shock about the WHL list is to see defenseman Joe Morrow ahead of a few players, including Duncan Siemens and Myles Bell. Morrow didnt really show me a ton when Portland was in town last week but was clearly a very solid two way defenseman who quarterbacks the first powerplay for the Winterhawks.

- Its good to see Mark McNeill climbing up the rankings. The big powerfoward out of Prince Albert has been one the players I have had an eye on since the summer and his hard work is paying off. He should be taken in the first round come June.

- Myles Bell is in solid position at number 7. Hes the total package. A good skater, physical, can score, can pass and isnt afraid to fight. Dont be shocked if this guy is a climber in the ranking all season despite playing on a fairly weak Regina squad.

- Duncan Siemens at 8th overall in the WHL is a bit of a head scratcher. Doing some reading around, other organizations have him in the top 3 in the league, so I think Central Scouting is definitely going against the norm with that positioning.

- Tyler Wotherspoon is another guy from Portland that didnt really show me a ton in the recent matchup with Saskatoon. Is it a bias for their players? Who knows. But its pretty hard to justify seeing 4 Portland players in the top 9 on this list.

- Colin Jacobs is a nice looking player for Seattle. Hes a big guy who has great offensive instincts and even plays the point on the powerplay. Expect him and Mark McNeill to battle it out all year in regards to who gets ranked higher where.

- Shane McColgan (15th) and Michael St. Croix (17th) are two guys that have been sliding for several months now so its not shocking to see them where they are. Last year though these two guys were considered potential top 10 picks for 2011, so it will be interesting to see where they end up come the end of the year.

- Brent Benson of the Blades cracked the list at 16th. I think he is one guy that could go a bit higher than some people expect based on the intangibles that he brings to the game. A very smart and tough player that is defensively aware, with some great offensive skills as well.

- Reece Scarlett of Swift Current comes in at 20th on the list. Expect him to climb during the year as well. A very slick and impressive defenseman for the Broncos.

- And finally another Saskatoon Blade cracked the top 25 with Matej Stransky coming in at 21st. This kid shows flashes of greatness but is still battling consistency. He is still learning the language and trying to feel comfortable and that should come as the year goes along. I think some NHL teams will look at him as more of a project when it comes to the draft.

My full account
My Avs-only account
Old
11-17-2010, 01:07 AM
LucBourdon28

Lockhart's picking up some points, big improvement from last year. Hopefully he can keep up the pace.

Old
11-28-2010, 11:41 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

If it wasn't for Pickard this Seattle team would be terrible.

Also Medicine Hat started off really slow, but they have picked it up. 7 straight wins. Great top 6.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Coincidental Minors

Quote:
If it wasn't for Pickard this Seattle team would be terrible.

Also Medicine Hat started off really slow, but they have picked it up. 7 straight wins. Great top 6.
the hat looked fast the first period and tired after they got behind. Good team, good speed, hope they beat Spoke!

Old
12-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Rockets are rolling. Just knocked off the Blades and have only lost twice in their last 14 games after a terrible start. Im curious if Hamilton will try to add some size to push for a Mem cup berth or not this year.

Old
12-05-2010, 11:33 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
It's definitely too early to write the Wheats off, but starting 5-0 and then losing like 7 straight does hurt their chances. At the beginning I thought they could be a team that could seriously challenge the US division for the championship and another Memorial Cup run. Now I list them with the Hitmen who are a few years away from being powerhouses once more.
And maybe a coach with a plan, and a gm that will loosen the purse strings to get said coach

Old
12-06-2010, 01:22 AM
westisbest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
Rockets are rolling. Just knocked off the Blades and have only lost twice in their last 14 games after a terrible start. Im curious if Hamilton will try to add some size to push for a Mem cup berth or not this year.
Regardless of the Rocket's past month, please they are not a Memorial Cup contender by any means.

Old
12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Kelowna traded for 20yr old Dman Zac Stebner from Tri-Cities this afternoon.

http://kelownarockets.com/article/ro...r-release-wall

Cant say I know much about him, but at 6'3" he adds much needed size to the Rockets.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Coincidental Minors

wow

Big trade today. Carter Ashton to Tri City for picks and young players.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...889/story.html

Old
12-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Giants trade C Craig Cunningham to the Portland Winterhawks for a 1st round pick in 2011, a 2nd round pick in 2012, LW Spencer Bennet and C Teal Burns.

The picks are important, plus these guys give us some more depth. Makes me wonder if the Giants are now going to try and trade Brendan Gallagher if they can get a great return.

It will definitely hurt the team this season, but at least we don't seem to be pulling a Chilliwack. Keeping Moller and Santorelli really took them far...

Old
12-29-2010, 12:36 AM
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

i hope the bruins are buyers this year at the deadline, the bc division goes to anyone who makes a big trade at this point! Who knows what will happens in the playoffs.

Old
12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Rocko604
Win Cup or fire Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwackBruins View Post
i hope the bruins are buyers this year at the deadline, the bc division goes to anyone who makes a big trade at this point! Who knows what will happens in the playoffs.
I can't believe how tight the division is, although Vancouver seems to be slowly pulling their hat out of the race. But we've seen that all the teams are capable of beating the others, so who knows what can happen.

Vancouver losing back-to-back vs. Kamloops wasn't good at all. Could have made up huge ground against them. From here on out, every divisional game is must win.

Old
12-29-2010, 08:55 PM
leoleo3535

reminder the WHL games are webcast free again tonight at WHL.ca

Old
02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
PokeCheck101

Blades 1st team to 40 wins

Blades beat Pats tonight soundly 6-2... First team to 40 w in the dub and they're on a 7-0-0 run... Schenn, four assists tonight.

The only team in the CHL with more wins is St. John Sea Dogs of the Q @ 42....

What's it gonna take to dismantle the Blades? They're really playing well right now and healthy.

Old
02-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Coincidental Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
Blades beat Pats tonight soundly 6-2... First team to 40 w in the dub and they're on a 7-0-0 run... Schenn, four assists tonight.

The only team in the CHL with more wins is St. John Sea Dogs of the Q @ 42....

What's it gonna take to dismantle the Blades? They're really playing well right now and healthy.
Portland, Spokane, and TC are just as good as Sask. Whoever comes out of the west will be one tough out.

Old
02-05-2011, 07:48 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coincidental Minors View Post
Portland, Spokane, and TC are just as good as Sask. Whoever comes out of the west will be one tough out.
Yeah, but they will also have to beat each other up in the process. That should benefit the Eastern Conf teams.

Old
02-13-2011, 09:26 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Blades continue to shred the league up.

11 straight wins after a 5-3 win in last night in a tough barn to play in in MJ.

Closed Thread