HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Columbus-New Jersey

Old
11-12-2010, 12:11 PM
bretzky29ca*

vCash: 500
Columbus-New Jersey

Columbus has been a pleasant surprise this season. I look at their roster, and they have a smallish defensive corpse, so a player like Colin White would fit in perfectly with the CBJ. New Jersey decides to retool and attain an up and coming defenceman with potential.

To Columbus: D Colin White

To New Jersey: D Nick Holden

Thoughts??

bretzky29ca* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Ask me this 4 months ago and I'd say done.

Not now, White has been our best defenseman and a complete rock on the PK. If we have any chance of making the playoffs he needs to be on the team.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:16 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretzky29ca View Post
Columbus has been a pleasant surprise this season. I look at their roster, and they have a smallish defensive corpse, so a player like Colin White would fit in perfectly with the CBJ. New Jersey decides to retool and attain an up and coming defenceman with potential.

To Columbus: D Colin White

To New Jersey: D Nick Holden

Thoughts??
White has been one of our best defensemen this season, so I would be hesitant to move him. With all the injuries and rookies on defense he's been a rock of stability and one of the only defensemen us Devils fans trust in our own zone. He also has a no trade clause.

We really have no reason to move him unless it's for a substantial return. I don't know anything about Nick Holden but he's not really the kind of piece I would be looking for in return.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:31 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
White has been one of our best defensemen this season, so I would be hesitant to move him. With all the injuries and rookies on defense he's been a rock of stability and one of the only defensemen us Devils fans trust in our own zone. He also has a no trade clause.

We really have no reason to move him unless it's for a substantial return. I don't know anything about Nick Holden but he's not really the kind of piece I would be looking for in return.
I agree that right now it makes no sense for the Devils to make this trade early on in the season when White has been the only noteworthy presence on the blueline. However, let's say that in March the Devils are similarly out of the playoff picture. Don't you think moving White makes sense? It would free up 3 million for next year and White is not going to get any younger or healthier.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I like White and wouldn't mind having him, but we really need more scoring D - we've done really well defensively as is (to take one pairing example, Klesla's presently among the +/- league leaders, and Methot's playing the best hockey of his career). As soon as Commodore comes off the IR, the hypothetical size problem's pretty much solved.

There's also a cap disparity issue, but that's really just piling on in this case. We can afford to add some cap... but it has to be for something we seriously need.

Appreciate the thought, but it's not really necessary for us.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I agree that right now it makes no sense for the Devils to make this trade early on in the season when White has been the only noteworthy presence on the blueline. However, let's say that in March the Devils are similarly out of the playoff picture. Don't you think moving White makes sense? It would free up 3 million for next year and White is not going to get any younger or healthier.
I agree if someone shows interest in him if the Devils are out of the playoff picture then you do it.

Old
11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Columbus is saving cap space for when its young players need re-signed. Also, who would White replace on our blueline? Klesla, Methot, Hejda, Stralman, Russell, Tyutin. Methot is playing really well, Klesla is tops in the league for blocked shots and has great +/-, Hejda is a rock, Stralman is our best offensive player, Russell is playing well and is young, and Tyutin is a good 2nd pairing defenseman. We couldn't fit Holden in or Commodore.

Not a bad proposal, but adding an 8th NHL quality defenseman is kinda tough.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Bretzky doesn't really think out his proposals.

Devils need White.

Blue Jackets don't.

Old
11-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Kev22

I don't think Columbus does this, Holden showed in his time with the club early in season that he's not out of place on the big club. He will be a call up this year with an eye on a full time spot next season.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I don't think Columbus does this, Holden showed in his time with the club early in season that he's not out of place on the big club. He will be a call up this year with an eye on a full time spot next season.

Old
11-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Volchenkov View Post

Quite obviously didn't see him play.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:30 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Oh absolutely, I'd love an extra $3M in cap space for raises to Greene/Parise, and a little extra pocket change to maybe go after a UFA. But I'm not sure White would be willing to waive his NTC to go to Colombus unless they were a serious contender (say top 5 seed or higher).

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote