HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Golden Bears to face Golden Gophers

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Bob Stauffer

vCash: 500
Golden Bears to face Golden Gophers

Telus University Cup Champs to Head to Minnesota for Trio of Games in October

For the first time since the 2001-2002 season the University of Alberta Golden Bears hockey program will get an opportunity to face NCAA opponents. The Bears, who claimed their CIS-record 11th National Men’s Hockey Championship in March in front over 10,000 fans at Rexall Place in Edmonton, will travel to the state of Minnesota and face NCAA powerhouse University of Minnesota Golden Gophers as well as the Minnesota State Mavericks and St. Cloud State in October.

“This should be an excellent trip. It gives us an opportunity to meet some top quality NCAA opponents and will also give our team a chance to bond early in the season,” said Alberta Head Coach Rob Daum, who has guided the Bears to three National titles in the last seven seasons.

Alberta, who finished the 2004-2005 season with a 38-5-2 overall record (24-3-1 Conference) will face the University of Minnesota (17-10-1 Conference, 28-15-1 Overall in 2004-05) on Thursday October 6th, Minnesota State (8-16-4 Conference, 13-19-6 Overall in 2004-05) on Friday October 7th and St. Cloud State (8-19-1 Conference, 14-23-3 Overall in 2004-05) on Saturday October 8th.

The Golden Gophers who rose to prominence in the 1970’s under the guidance of Herb Brooks have claimed five NCAA titles, including back-to-back in 2001-02 and 2002-03 with current Head Coach Don Lucia.

Last season the Calgary Dinos from the Canada West Conference faced Minnesota and Minnesota State losing 7-2 to the Golden Gophers and 5-2 to the Mavericks. Alberta meanwhile has lost just once to Calgary in their last 48 games (41-1-6). The Golden Bears also have a 6-3 record against NCAA opponents with Rob Daum as Head Coach, with just one of those games being played at the Clare Drake Arena in Edmonton.

Old
05-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Who will get the Golden Shower?

I don't know who the Bears turned over, but it's kind of a shame they aren't playing Denver, whose roster is fairly constant with the championship team.

Old
05-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks for the info, Bob!

The trip should be a good one, especially the game between the Bears and Gophers. I'm just wondering if either FSN North or CSTV will pick it up because that would be a game worth watching, not saying that the games versus Mankato State and SCSU aren't good ones either, but the one with the Gophers will be the marquee matchup of the three.

BTW, anyone tell Guy Flaming about this?

Old
05-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Rabid Husky

I think the game against SCSU is sunday Oct 9th because schedules I've seen for SCSU has them playing UAH on the 7th and 8th at home.....could be wrong though....and i wouldn't be surprised if the Huskies lost that game either

Old
05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
VOB

Interesting!

Any predictions?

Old
05-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB
Interesting!

Any predictions?
I'll give it to the Gophers, because of Phil Kessel alone.

I wish some NCAA teams would come up to Edmonton. I went to a game a few years back at Clare Drake, where Yale came up. It was an awesome game played at around Christmas time. Guy Flaming wrote up some excellent articles that explained the limitations that American teams have in playing teams from Canada, and vice versa. I wish there was a way around it, but I guess these are student athletes after all, and have other issues to deal with.

Old
05-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I've been out of town since Friday but got home tonight and saw the press release in my inbox. Sounds great, should be some good hockey but it's unfortuante the UofA has to play all three games on the road and in three consecutive days... it certanly puts them behind the 8-ball right off the bat.

Closed Thread