HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am i the old fart on this Flyers board ?

Old
11-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Flyskippy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I thought you were at least 15

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:32 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I thought you were at least 15
Nope. 1997 man

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:04 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I'm 23
Same here. HIGH FIVE, SAME AGED BROTHER!

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I remember being 7 or 8 years old and thinking that the Legion of Doom was the best name ever and just becoming hooked.

I always loved LeClair for some reason.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:52 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I remember being 7 or 8 years old and thinking that the Legion of Doom was the best name ever and just becoming hooked.

It was probably because he was awesome.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 06:37 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Sure would of liked our chances if Bernie was healthy for that series with the Habs, he always seemed to be at his best in big games.Each game was decided by one goal from what i recall about that series.Although Bernies back up did play well and i give him credit for his efforts.
Do you remember The Rifle knocking a goalie out with a slap shot?
I am not sure if the years have exaggerated the event in my mind or not but I remember Leach nailing a goalie in the mask with a slapper that knock his mask off and him out.

I used to love the one on one skills competitions in between periods. Hockey's version of home run derby.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
medicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Hey junior, it was our generation who invented computers! :
Although it was yours that came up with all the fun stuff to do on them!
Lets hear it for IBM big iron and punch cards!!!!

52, still a youngin with the Flyers since 2000.

Actually the some of the first computers were the Chinese abacuss, don't think you were around then,,,I hope!

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

same here. maybe because he did things like this:

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Flyerfan808

27 here. Flyers fan to my core.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
I got you all beat. im 13 haha ok now nobody will take me serious. haha
I'm not the youngest?

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:48 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Im a day younger then Tavares

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Do you remember The Rifle knocking a goalie out with a slap shot? I am not sure if the years have exaggerated the event in my mind or not but I remember Leach nailing a goalie in the mask with a slapper that knock his mask off and him out.
I'm pretty sure Bunny Larocque (Toronto) fell to the ice after being hit in the mask.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:19 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman View Post
Lets hear it for IBM big iron and punch cards!!!!

52, still a youngin with the Flyers since 2000.

Actually the some of the first computers were the Chinese abacuss, don't think you were around then,,,I hope!

Hey pal, you're older than I am!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:32 PM
BernieParent

I'd like to make a motion that all user names include their age, so we know who is older and therefore right in any discussion.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Im a young gun. 21 as of yesterday.

Always had a question for the "old folks" who lived during the Flyers Stanley Cup wins.

That 1974 year, did everyone automatically deem the Flyers to be favorites to win the cup given their style of play, or did it just come about naturally? Were they tops of their division/conference, or was it a very long fought battle?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:12 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I turn 24 tomorrow

I remember the 97 Stanley Cup finals

Was a huge Phantoms fan too. Got to see them win the Calder and close out the Spectrum.
I'm a 34 yo who actually used to get to skate around with the Phantoms flag when there were 3 guys shooting shirts into stands, lol. Ah fun times. Was also almost Phlex for two years but won the coin toss. The outfit smelled aweful.

(I don't think I can talk about what happened with first Phlex )

Last edited by stazza18: 11-12-2010 at 10:20 PM.
stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I'm pretty sure Bunny Larocque (Toronto) fell to the ice after being hit in the mask.
I recall that it was Phil Myre. I just seem to recall that is was versus the Flames,

I'd ask my best friend from those days (he remembers everything), but he's in jail.

Meltzer might recall, too.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
hof2120

First vivid Flyers' memory:

Listening to the Flyers play (and lose to ) the Red Wings in the 97 cup finals on the radio outside with my neighbors and all my friends watching for some comet or meteor shower or something. I was 6, 19 now.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:23 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Im a young gun. 21 as of yesterday.

Always had a question for the "old folks" who lived during the Flyers Stanley Cup wins.

That 1974 year, did everyone automatically deem the Flyers to be favorites to win the cup given their style of play, or did it just come about naturally? Were they tops of their division/conference, or was it a very long fought battle?
Do you mean entering the 1973-74 season (before the first Cup) or entering the 1974-75 season (before the second Cup)?

Old
11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Do you mean entering the 1973-74 season (before the first Cup) or entering the 1974-75 season (before the second Cup)?
Before the first cup.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Before the first cup.
They were in the mix. Clarke won his first Hart Trophy and the team went to the semifinals in 1973, even led Montreal (eventual Champs) 1-0 in games which garnered some attention. But the key was the reacquisition of Bernie Parent, who played in the WHA but whose NHL rights were held by Toronto, during the offseason.

Among the chief comeptitors: Boston had a new but mostly unproven goalie in Gilles Gilbert and Montreal's Ken Dryden quit over a salary dispute and joined a law firm. Chicago's Bobby Hull was in the WHA. So, there was an opening.

The team was steady in its performances but really took off in the last couple of months. There was an incident that Fred Shero lauded later in Montreal, national TV, Canadiens up 2-0 after two periods and a brawl erupted in which Larry Robinson decimated Dave Schultz at the end of the period. NBC, the broadcast carrier was irate, too. But the Flyers used it to their advantage scored twice in the first five minutes and the game ended in a tie. Shero said he couldn't believe how the Flyers were unified and actually joking about the fight and that he assumed the life would be taken from them. The opposite happened. The team lost something like only four times the rest of the way.

The Rangers took care of Montreal in the playoffs and they had much of the attention at that point. The Flyers and Rangers each won three home games in their PO round, then Game 7 happened which shocked the NHL world. It is a horribly forgotten game and effort but it really was the performance that established the Flyers as an expansion threat. IIRC, Boston's Phil Esposito even said before game 7 that he didn't want the Rangers to win because the thought was they had the PO experience and were the better team. Then came the Finals and the Flyers had to overcome their poor history in Boston Garden by winning at least one game. Clarke made sure of that.

Old
11-13-2010, 12:22 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
They were in the mix. Clarke won his first Hart Trophy and the team went to the semifinals in 1973, even led Montreal (eventual Champs) 1-0 in games which garnered some attention. But the key was the reacquisition of Bernie Parent, who played in the WHA but whose NHL rights were held by Toronto, during the offseason.

Among the chief comeptitors: Boston had a new but mostly unproven goalie in Gilles Gilbert and Montreal's Ken Dryden quit over a salary dispute and joined a law firm. Chicago's Bobby Hull was in the WHA. So, there was an opening.

The team was steady in its performances but really took off in the last couple of months. There was an incident that Fred Shero lauded later in Montreal, national TV, Canadiens up 2-0 after two periods and a brawl erupted in which Larry Robinson decimated Dave Schultz at the end of the period. NBC, the broadcast carrier was irate, too. But the Flyers used it to their advantage scored twice in the first five minutes and the game ended in a tie. Shero said he couldn't believe how the Flyers were unified and actually joking about the fight and that he assumed the life would be taken from them. The opposite happened. The team lost something like only four times the rest of the way.

The Rangers took care of Montreal in the playoffs and they had much of the attention at that point. The Flyers and Rangers each won three home games in their PO round, then Game 7 happened which shocked the NHL world. It is a horribly forgotten game and effort but it really was the performance that established the Flyers as an expansion threat. IIRC, Boston's Phil Esposito even said before game 7 that he didn't want the Rangers to win because the thought was they had the PO experience and were the better team. Then came the Finals and the Flyers had to overcome their poor history in Boston Garden by winning at least one game. Clarke made sure of that.
Thanks for the update.

Old
11-13-2010, 12:42 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Do you remember The Rifle knocking a goalie out with a slap shot?
I am not sure if the years have exaggerated the event in my mind or not but I remember Leach nailing a goalie in the mask with a slapper that knock his mask off and him out.

I used to love the one on one skills competitions in between periods. Hockey's version of home run derby.
I vaguely remember the rifle hitting a goalie in the mask with that howitzer he had, but do not remember who it was.I remember Bunny laroque and Phil Myre quite well, but do not remember if it was either of them or not. Phil Myre actually played for the Flyers for a short stint, he was a pretty good goalie and had one of the cooler looking mask in those days, he was also a pretty tough guy too, he was known to drop the gloves, and also known to slash the heck out of players in front of his net.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:05 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

That will be forever my all time favorite flyer's goal. When Clarkie scored in OT I looked at my buddies and said we just won the cup. No way were we going to lose a home game. I think I leaped higher than Clarkie. Molson's Ex was going everywhere

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 08:26 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
That will be forever my all time favorite flyer's goal. When Clarkie scored in OT I looked at my buddies and said we just won the cup. No way were we going to lose a home game. I think I leaped higher than Clarkie. Molson's Ex was going everywhere
Everyone has seen Jimmy Valvano's reaction when NC State won the college basketball title. That was a yoot-version of MSE after Clarke scored.