Notices

New Proposed Draft Lottery Puts Flames With Have Nots

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2005, 10:05 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
New Proposed Draft Lottery Puts Flames With Have Nots

Bettman is proposing a draft lottery that would benefit the Flames a great deal.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...44803-sun.html

Old
05-18-2005, 11:34 PM
King_Brown

I'll be estatic if we end up with a top 6 pick.

Old
05-18-2005, 11:36 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
I'll be estatic if we end up with a top 6 pick.
even top 10 would have us sitting pretty

Old
05-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Phaneuf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
even top 10 would have us sitting pretty
agreed.

Old
05-19-2005, 02:41 PM
King_Brown

Our odds are good, the Hockey gods have been good to us for a while, lets keep then Happy, im going to go pour out a bottle of Henney in hope they accept it, and give us a Crosby or Jack Johnson in the draft.

Old
05-19-2005, 08:43 PM
abracanada

It is interesting to see Bettman thinking about something other than the CBA. Maybe things are getting closer there, and he is turning his attention to things like the draft. A guy can hope anyway.

Old
05-19-2005, 08:59 PM
King_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
It is interesting to see Bettman thinking about something other than the CBA. Maybe things are getting closer there, and he is turning his attention to things like the draft. A guy can hope anyway.
Too optomistic. I think he wants to get some of the issues within ownership settled had also have a firm understanding that it will be his way, and no one will be able to sway his desicion.

Old
05-20-2005, 01:32 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
Too optomistic. I think he wants to get some of the issues within ownership settled had also have a firm understanding that it will be his way, and no one will be able to sway his desicion.
Maybe not too optimistic. When they start doing the marathon thing, that is a very good indication progress is being made.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=125439

Old
05-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Eb0la11

I would love the Flames to end up with a guy like Benoit Pouliot... Who do you guys think Sutter would pick up if we had the 3rd pick? Lets assume Crosby and Johnson are gone? I dunno, I think hed trade down likely, I dont see him picking any of the other top 4 forwards in Brule, Ryan, Pouliot or Kopitar really. The only one he might is Brule, hes Sutters kinda player I think. If he trades down he goes after Setoguchi I think along with another guy and if he drafts I think he picks Brule at number 3... This is just a made up scenario. Who knows whats going to happen but this is exciting.

Old
05-21-2005, 12:33 AM
King_Brown

Since we are withouth a 2nd rd pick I would assume if we don't get Corsby or Johnson and Brule for that matter, Sutter would trade down. But who knows for sure, who knows what our draft board would look like should there be a draft.

Old
05-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Blarney

Of all the draft proposals suggested, I think this gives the best chance for CGY getting Crosby or at least a top 10er.

If CGY gets 3rd (not sure Jack Johnson would go 2nd btw), I kinda like Kopitar and Brule (wish Brule was bigger though).

I wouldn't trade down for Setoguchi, I think I'd stick with a top 10 pick in this draft -- just hope it pans out with an offensive player. Let's sit on our defensemen for awhile, and try to build up the top 2 lines. I think we have the greatest depth of 3rd liners in the league...

Old
05-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Jessie Lumsden

Knowing Sutter, he'll trade down to get Setoguchi and end up with three or four third round picks out of the deal.

Old
05-21-2005, 06:41 PM
abracanada

Who would have believed the Flames would have the best defenceman to come along in a long while, and a chance at a franchise player like Crosby.........would it ever be sweet.

Old
05-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Habs13

As they pointed out, Montreal gets the shaft with that system. In the last three years, we missed one year and finished 8th the other two - but we get lumped into the same catagory as Detroit... who are always a good team. If they're going to use a system like that, it should be based on the past five years - not three.

Old
05-21-2005, 07:42 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
As they pointed out, Montreal gets the shaft with that system.
all the more reason to like it

Old
05-21-2005, 10:34 PM
King_Brown

As long as we are in the top 10, because it seems like that getting a player in the top 15, we will get a pretty good NHL player. This is probablly our only chance to land a pick in the top 5 unless something incredible happens and we end up in the lottery if there is a season. With Sutters track record, he has only missed the playoffs once, and that was when he took over the Flames midseason, and at that we had a winning record with him. So, I hope we get a top 10 pick.

As of right now, by reading, and getting information on people, I have to say we take the best player avaliable with our pick.

For me right now I would say,

Benoit Poulliout
Jack Johnson
Gilbert Burle

If one of these 3 landed to us, I hope we take him. Sutter is not afraid to taken offensive talent, look at past drafts.

Old
05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
ukstipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
Knowing Sutter, he'll trade down to get Setoguchi and end up with three or four third round picks out of the deal.
Trading down from a 3rd pick overall is going to yield a decent amount of picks/players/prospects in addition to the lower first round. There are too many Milbury's out there. We should be getting our 2nd rounder plus a goalie prospect in exchange for dropping down 10 picks.

Old
05-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Badger Bob

Trade proposals usually aren't my thing, but here's a real shot in the dark. If it was a high pick, and this is a real shot in the dark...try packaging the pick, Lydman and Reinprecht for Horton and the 'Canes 2nd rounder.

The two biggest obstacles would be:

1.) Horton's probably as untouchable as possible in Carolina, especially since he's already polished.
2.) The offer, listed above, still might not be enough.

Old
05-23-2005, 11:53 AM
ukstipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Trade proposals usually aren't my thing, but here's a real shot in the dark. If it was a high pick, and this is a real shot in the dark...try packaging the pick, Lydman and Reinprecht for Horton and the 'Canes 2nd rounder.

1.) Horton's probably as untouchable as possible in Carolina, especially since he's already polished.
Horton isn't Carolina property....do you mean Staal or Florida? I am guessing you mean Staal given Horton looks a bit injury prone at the moment and Staal and Kobasew married up nicely in Lowell.

Old
05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstipe
Horton isn't Carolina property....do you mean Staal or Florida? I am guessing you mean Staal given Horton looks a bit injury prone at the moment and Staal and Kobasew married up nicely in Lowell.
Confusion reigns. Yes, you are correct, sir.

Old
05-23-2005, 02:07 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob

I believe Lydman is a lock to be traded - I would love to see a prospect like Staal brought in - but a lot depends on where the lottery would put the Flames as far as draft order goes. I have a lot of confidence in Sutter's ability to ferret out gems in the draft, and if he has a shot at a player with the same ability as Staal, he will get him. I would be more tempted to give up a package of drafts and players if he was not as good at drafting as he is.

Old
05-23-2005, 08:51 PM
machine_head_2002

Quote:
As they pointed out, Montreal gets the shaft with that system. In the last three years, we missed one year and finished 8th the other two - but we get lumped into the same catagory as Detroit... who are always a good team. If they're going to use a system like that, it should be based on the past five years - not three.
Considering Calgary missed the playoffs for what seemed like eternity the past five years would give them even greater odds. (i think, haven't done the math but 4/5 is much better than 2/3)

Old
05-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
You're right, it's not very fair for teams like Montreal. That's why I'm working on a system for the draft...Somebody might have came with this but I will post it tommorow.

I can tell you that right now, the Canadian teams drafting order would be:

1-Calgary
2-Montreal
3-Edmondton
4-Vancouver
5-Toronto
6-Ottawa

More to come...

Closed Thread