HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Feet cramping in skates

Old
11-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Matrix360

vCash: 500
Feet cramping in skates

I'm 28, on the ice 3 times a week, play year round and have played my entire life. I never had this problem until about 3 years ago when the arches in my feet started cramping up to the point that my feet went numb and I couldn't skate properly. It started in my old skates (CCM Tacks) so I replaced them with a pair of Grafs 735s thinking it might solve the problem. They're a comfortable skate but every couple months the problem occurs. Its fine for about 3 or 4 months and then my feet start hurting. Before I track down a foot doctor, I'm wondering if anyone else on hf boards has experienced this and what they have to say about it.

Matrix360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Pierre Gotye

The secret is in how you lace your skates. Sounds like you are lacing them too tightly, which will cut off circulation and make your feet go numb.

At the toe section, the skates should be relatively loose. Just a hair above being snug. As you graduate upward with your laces they should get a little bit tighter with each cross-over.

At your heel instep is where you should concentrate on keeping your laces the tightest.

If your skates are new and you're trying to break them in, where them around the house during the day, this will excelerate the break-in period.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:22 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

for me, its all about skate liners. if i wear regular socks, the same thing happens to my feet. go to hockeymonkey.com and buy a pair of skate liners. i dont know what they refer to them as on the site, but they are made by under armour and a few other brands. they are comfortable, and save on having to do socks in the laundry as often. :-)

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
First thing I would try is not tying them so tight like Brent suggested. If my skates are just minutely too tight my feet hurt like no other. I personally just pull the laces ever so slightly snug, then tie the top 2 eyelets somewhat tight to get my heel snug, skipping the top eyelet.

Also, do you have high arches? If you do, but there's no arch support that could be another cause. I have really high arches in my feet and I just used the stock insole on my skates for the first two months and my feet ALWAYS ached but I thought it was just the break-in period. I got some Shock Doctor insoles and the pain went away the first time I skated with them in.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Matrix360

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
First thing I would try is not tying them so tight like Brent suggested. If my skates are just minutely too tight my feet hurt like no other. I personally just pull the laces ever so slightly snug, then tie the top 2 eyelets somewhat tight to get my heel snug, skipping the top eyelet.

Also, do you have high arches? If you do, but there's no arch support that could be another cause. I have really high arches in my feet and I just used the stock insole on my skates for the first two months and my feet ALWAYS ached but I thought it was just the break-in period. I got some Shock Doctor insoles and the pain went away the first time I skated with them in.
It doesnt seem to be how tight the skates are as I've tried to vary the tightness but makes little difference. I think it might be the high arches. I'll have to look into the shock doctor insoles. Thanks for the replies!

Matrix360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:23 AM
SouthpawTRK

I know that sometimes when I am wearing flip flops for a few days that my feet tend to hurt at times when I'm skating. Seems like the lack of support wearing flip flops makes my feet more susceptible to foot pain when I'm skating.

I took a class that shows how to stretch all three of your arches to strengthen them and to stretch them out. You can use a golf ball and roll it under your inside arch, outside arch and right under the balls of your feet. It hurts a bit, but it can help strengthen your arches.

But definitely check with a podiatrist to see what may be causing the pains, so that you can enjoy hockey without a lot of pain.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Lario Melieux*

I had that problem when using wax laces and tying my skates wayyyy too tight.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote