HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Old
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Guilliam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Zednik, Smolinski, Lang, Johnson, O'Byrne...
Wasn't Jay Leach #20 also in his stint with us?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

The few times i've seen him this year, O'Byrne had completly lost the desire to hit. So he wasn't interested in becoming the D the Habs needed. So he had lost his usefullness.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 03:02 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
I will never forgive Mario Tremblay, Rejean Houle and Ronald Corey until the die i die for ruining a 9 year olds (me) hockey hopes and dreams the day his hero was traded for nothing ANd won the cup with them

but i HAVE forgiven colorado long before this trade today, the day they took theodore off of our hands, it was a godsend and a miracle.
I think I have to agree with you though I was older at the time. Still pisses me off. And no, miracle maybe but Coloardo still has a lot to pay back before this one can be put to rest (not that it's their fault).

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Habs 1909

Quote:
“We were a couple of the guys who didn’t have wives with us so we would eat dinner together, we’d watch movies together and we hung out together all the time. He was like my hockey wife,” joked the 26-year-old blue-liner. “He’s a good teammate and a good friend and for him it’s an opportunity to start fresh.” - Josh Gorges
From the Canadiens.com article

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 06:34 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I can't believe the Habs won without O'Byrne last night.
Miracles do happen! What does it say about Ryan O'Byrne when a big, right-handed shooting defenseman cannot crack the top 6? The fact that the Canadiens were able to get a decent prospect, rather than a 6th round pick in 2014, in return was a surprise.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:42 PM
QuietReign

Obyrne will be missed. He is a team player, a good fit and character. I loved the way he stood up for his team off the ice (the tampa incident, the comment about komi when he ditched the team)... I hope we get him back in a year off of free agency. He seriously has potential.... (i know i know he is 26, but i believe in the kid)

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
From the Canadiens.com article
That just increases my respect for Josh. Good guy....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:02 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietReign View Post
Obyrne will be missed. He is a team player, a good fit and character. I loved the way he stood up for his team off the ice (the tampa incident, the comment about komi when he ditched the team)... I hope we get him back in a year off of free agency. He seriously has potential.... (i know i know he is 26, but i believe in the kid)
OK, I was mad when I heard about the trade - O’Byrne-Bournival. But it was not at Gauthier. He had to make a trade since his buddy, Martin, was never going to play O’Byrne again. But I am still not in a forgiving to Martin for not playing O’Byrne versus Philly during the last playoffs when we were getting pushed around and MAB was playing so God awful that if he were throwing the game he would have to play better to avoid suspicion, especially on the power play. OK, now that I have got that off my chest I can concentrate on the evaluating the trade.
At this stage, I would have to evaluate that Colorado got the best of the trade much like St. Louis did with Halak.
However, you have to look at it from what could we have done better. I am not a GM but I suspect a 3rd round draft choice is reasonable for an 8th D.
And to be even more positive, Bournival has been a prospect all coaches fall in love with, a guy who will do what it takes to succeed, a true Timmins type of guy. IMO, he is like a Gorges at forward, not particularly big, not particularly skilled but someone who succeeds by doing the best with what he has.

This is what I wrote about him before the 2010 draft:
I will let my coach, Eric Veilleux, start the dialogue, “As long as I have been a player and coach, I've never seen a player like him. He does everything to succeed. The attack, defense, he is able to play so robust, he is a hard worker on the ice and off’’. So I am solid two-way player who has a nice shot, excellent vision and a low center of gravity that makes me hard to move off the puck. I will let Martin Mondou, the General Manager of our team finish off, “The year we drafted Michael, he was subjected various physical tests, like all our players. He was number one in all tests except one, the balance on a ball. When he arrived at camp two months later, he finished number one in this exercise also’’. And that’s what I want to be, a number one.

In summary, Bournival will do what he has to succeed, a 3rd line player but a winner, a person you would be proud to have on your roster the year you win the Stanley Cup. So, sorry to see U go, Ryan, but Bournival is not a bad pick-up.

By the way, expect to see a few others bite the dust a la O’Byrne:
1. Carle
2. Maxwell
3. Desharnais
4. Weber
There are simply too many decent prospects for the spots that may be available on the big club. By the way, that means I am hoping, Nash, Pacioretty, Palushaj and White will be on the big club this year or next.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Joe Lamb

[QUOTE=bsl;28900010]No he will not. OB is a good guy, but he's thick as a brick. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

I don't know his IQ and I'm pretty sure you don't.Very few
interviews , so I have no idea what you are basing your
assumption on.What I do know is that he was accepted into
and attended Cornell University, an Ivy League school,
probably with higher entrance standards than 90% of the
universities in Canada.

Joe Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:16 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The few times i've seen him this year, O'Byrne had completly lost the desire to hit. So he wasn't interested in becoming the D the Habs needed. So he had lost his usefullness.
The things players will do to try to please their coaches...

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
overlords
Hfboards

[QUOTE=Joe Lamb;28906376]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
No he will not. OB is a good guy, but he's thick as a brick. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

I don't know his IQ and I'm pretty sure you don't.Very few
interviews , so I have no idea what you are basing your
assumption on.What I do know is that he was accepted into
and attended Cornell University, an Ivy League school,
probably with higher entrance standards than 90% of the
universities in Canada.
o'byrne aside, you actually think everyone who does well in school is smart? you really think that intelligence necessarily translates into grades?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
OpenIceHit

O'byrne : 16:20 after two periods (the most from both teams), 2 shots, +1.

Way to go Ryan!

Just saying! Nothing against the trade.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:13 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
O'byrne : 16:20 after two periods (the most from both teams), 2 shots, +1.

Way to go Ryan!

Just saying! Nothing against the trade.
He is right behind Hannan and Liles in icetime right now. Good for the kid, hope he does well.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:19 PM
beaverBFP

24 points in 17 games this year in the Q not bad!

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:35 PM
tiz

O'Byrne led the Avs in TOI tonight. Quite the change from being in the press box.

I still think it's a deal the Habs needed to make, but it's incredible to think of going from 0 to 25 mins.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Franky Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
O'Byrne led the Avs in TOI tonight. Quite the change from being in the press box.
Must be a career high or something...

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:37 PM
OpenIceHit

24:51 (more than Liles and Hannan) with 2:09 on the PK. 3 shots, +1.

I always liked the guy. Good luck Ryan!

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Great article on who's Michaël Bournival:

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/turcot...ael-bournival/

Translation:

Quote:
The scene took place a few weeks ago, an hour after a game in Lewiston. Cataractes had just won a huge game over Lewiston and Eric Veilleux stopped the bus at a convenience store, giving permission to his players to buy some treats for the return trip. The guys came back on the bus with bags of Doritos, cheese sticks, cakes and other forbidden things under normal circumstances. As for Michael Bournival, he bought himself a bag of peanuts! When he entered the bus, Bournival was offered a juicy slice of pizza by a staff member, rewarding him for his first star. He said "No thank you ... I don't really like that ..."

It illustrates the kind of person that the Canadiens traded for. He is dedicated to his career, Bournival. This is why Eric Veilleux has made him captain at 18, he inherited the nickname of Metronome in Mauricie. He always has the pedal to the floor, either on the ice, in the gym or at school. The kind of guy who, early in the season, finished first in all the physical tests of his junior team, but one, coming back on top of every category a few months later . The kind of guy who, for the NHL physical tests, finished first for push ups and sixth at the bench press.

Since the beginning of the season, three scouts from different teams have told me they were surprised that Bournival had slipped in the third round. All three had highly recommended him to their bosses and believed that he would be taken in the second round.

Since he was traded to the Canadiens earlier today, supporters of the Canadiens who have never seen him play looking for a comparison in the NHL. Martin Gelinas was discussed. Personally, I prefer comparing him to Alex Burrows. Not the pest Burrows, but the one who always play has been playing with intensity with the Sedin brothers for two years. Bournival does not have the greatest vision of the game, but he works like crazy in all three areas. He goes directly to the net and he gives as much hits that he receives along the boards. Nice speed, precise and solid shooting and as aggressive on the road as home.

In a few years he will skate at the Bell Centre, for sure.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:22 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Nice article! Thanks for that. The kid's clearly a physical machine

Love the Burrows comparison, fast as ****, hardworking, good forechecker... Just not a pest

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What a ******** statement, he played 3 games and I think he had 11 recorded hits in those games, at that pace he'd be leading the NHL or close to it. It has nothing to do with what HIS interest was, JM didn't trust him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
24:51 (more than Liles and Hannan) with 2:09 on the PK. 3 shots, +1.

I always liked the guy. Good luck Ryan!
6 hits and 4 blocked shots.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
OK, I was mad when I heard about the trade - O’Byrne-Bournival. But it was not at Gauthier. He had to make a trade since his buddy, Martin, was never going to play O’Byrne again. But I am still not in a forgiving to Martin for not playing O’Byrne versus Philly during the last playoffs when we were getting pushed around and MAB was playing so God awful that if he were throwing the game he would have to play better to avoid suspicion, especially on the power play. OK, now that I have got that off my chest I can concentrate on the evaluating the trade.
At this stage, I would have to evaluate that Colorado got the best of the trade much like St. Louis did with Halak.
However, you have to look at it from what could we have done better. I am not a GM but I suspect a 3rd round draft choice is reasonable for an 8th D.
And to be even more positive, Bournival has been a prospect all coaches fall in love with, a guy who will do what it takes to succeed, a true Timmins type of guy. IMO, he is like a Gorges at forward, not particularly big, not particularly skilled but someone who succeeds by doing the best with what he has.

This is what I wrote about him before the 2010 draft:
I will let my coach, Eric Veilleux, start the dialogue, “As long as I have been a player and coach, I've never seen a player like him. He does everything to succeed. The attack, defense, he is able to play so robust, he is a hard worker on the ice and off’’. So I am solid two-way player who has a nice shot, excellent vision and a low center of gravity that makes me hard to move off the puck. I will let Martin Mondou, the General Manager of our team finish off, “The year we drafted Michael, he was subjected various physical tests, like all our players. He was number one in all tests except one, the balance on a ball. When he arrived at camp two months later, he finished number one in this exercise also’’. And that’s what I want to be, a number one.

In summary, Bournival will do what he has to succeed, a 3rd line player but a winner, a person you would be proud to have on your roster the year you win the Stanley Cup. So, sorry to see U go, Ryan, but Bournival is not a bad pick-up.

By the way, expect to see a few others bite the dust a la O’Byrne:
1. Carle
2. Maxwell
3. Desharnais
4. Weber
There are simply too many decent prospects for the spots that may be available on the big club. By the way, that means I am hoping, Nash, Pacioretty, Palushaj and White will be on the big club this year or next.
Desharnais and Carle are so so NHL prospects so no big shock if they never become NHL regulars.

I think Maxwell will be on the Habs full time next year, from his play at camp he was very close to making it. White had a good camp too, but Maxwell has more upside.

Weber I think will be ready next year as #6/7.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:56 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post

I still think it's a deal the Habs needed to make, but it's incredible to think of going from 0 to 25 mins.
More or less the Avs seeing what he could do, and also showing that a 8th rank Dman in Montreal is a top 3 Dman in Colorado right now.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:58 PM
LastRide

O'Byrne played a lot better when he first started playing with the Habs. I really liked the kid. As time went on he started going down hill. He's still young and could have a bright future down the road. Right now he is nothing special so losing him wasn't too big a deal. This Bournival kid could turn out to be a steal. If we can only get rid of Spacek now. He can't hit the broad side of barn with his shot, and he makes more mistakes than all the Hab players put together.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Nice article! Thanks for that. The kid's clearly a physical machine

Love the Burrows comparison, fast as ****, hardworking, good forechecker... Just not a pest
Yeah that's the best comparison. He is no pest but he got the same game.

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote