HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price showing what he can do when he's ON

Old
11-12-2010, 05:42 PM
LastChancePrice

vCash: 500
Kudos to Carey so far this season. Hes the reason why were one of the top team in the league atm. I have to apologies for not having beleive in him at the beginning of the season and whinning about Halak departure. So far he really replace him very well.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
CTHabsfan

I think the problem that Price had last season was that he was not used to being in a situation where he had to share goaltending duties. Carey has always been at his best when he is clearly the #1 guy.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
Kudos to Carey so far this season. Hes the reason why were one of the top team in the league atm. I have to apologies for not having beleive in him at the beginning of the season and whinning about Halak departure. So far he really replace him very well.
Did you pick your username back in the day in anticipation of this moment?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Lafleurs Guy

The big difference this season isn't Price. He played great in tons of losses last year. The difference is in the team in front of him. He finally has some support. It's a lot easier to win when your club isn't being shut out all the time. Price was never the problem... it's about time they showed up for him.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Plante

"Beating two top teams like Vancouver and Boston - especially Boston - is great," said Price, who made 34 saves Thursday.

I heart this.

Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Forget all-star game, how about game 7 of the stanley cup finals... in Montreal lol

now that would be epic
I said the same thing in another thread, but the post is gone. Except I included an Eller breakaway on Halak in the 9th overtime of game 7 where Eller shoots and the Earth explodes, leaving humanity to never discover who really won that trade.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:57 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The big difference this season isn't Price. He played great in tons of losses last year. The difference is in the team in front of him. He finally has some support. It's a lot easier to win when your club isn't being shut out all the time. Price was never the problem... it's about time they showed up for him.
While I agree for the most part, Price didn't help his situation last year. I don't think he played poorly, but he didn't seem anywhere near as aggressive as he is this year. Obviously that aggression comes with confidence, so it's understandable, but to say that it's ONLY the team in front of him is just flat out wrong.

It's amazing what confidence can do for a player in any sport.

TomPlex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:01 PM
sammy d

He is playing great, not ready to give him the keys to the kingdom yet though. if he's playing like this come January then yes, we have something good . Too often people on here rush to criticize or compliment too fast, lets give it time before we anoint him a saint. But for now, I like it.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Alright i GOTTA do it

Patrick Roy

1985-1986 (21 years old) 47 GP ,23 Wins, 18 Losses, 3 ties , 0.875 sv %, 3.35 GAA (BUT also won the cup that year so lol)
1986-1987 (22 years old) 46 GP, 22 Wins, 16 Losses, 6 ties , 0.891 sv %, 2.93 GAA
1987-1988 (23 years old ) 45 GP ,23 Wins, 12 Losses, 9 ties, 0.900 sv %, 2.90 GAA
so yeah, careys doing not too bad id say, however check roys 88-89!
1988-1989 (24 years old) 48 GP 33 Wins 5 losses, 0.908 sv %, 2.47 GAA, Vezina. Whoa.
And the Year he won his 2nd cup with montreal 1992-1993, (28 years old) 68 GP, 31 Wins, 25 Losses , 5 ties, 0.894 Sv. % , 3.20 GAA, not what you call a SOLID season, but! another cup.

Martin Brodeur

1991-1992 (20 years old) NHL 4 GP , 2 wins, 1 loss , .882 sv %, 3.35 GAA
1992-1993 (21 years old) AHL ONLY : 32 GP , 14 Wins, 13 losses, 0.884 sv %, 4.03 GAA
1993-1994 (22 years old) NHL 47 GP , 27 Wins, 11 losses , 8 ties, 0.915 sv % , 2.40 GAA, Official Rookie year stats, check price's rookie numbers
1994-1995 (23 years old), 40 GP, 19 Wins, 11 Losses, 6 ties, .906 sv. %, 2.45 GAA. 3 shutouts , but, he won the Stanley Cup that year at 23 yrs old, and he took over the NHL after that if you check his stats after this year.

Carey Price

2007-2008 (20 years old) NHL 41 GP, 24 Wins, 12 Losses, 3 otl, 0.920 sv %, 2.56 GAA, 3 shutouts, 11 playoff games. Looks pretty similar to brodeurs rookie year no?
2008-2009 (21 years old) NHL 51 GP , 23 Wins, 16 Losses, 10 otl, 0.905 sv%, 2.83 GAA
2009-2010 (22 years old) NHL 41 GP , 13 wins, 20 losses, 5 otl, 0.912 sv%, 2.77 GAA, in the so called DISASTER year, and the year halak took over, everyone says price may have taklen a step backwards but the previous year his stats were worse and had more wins, that year his stats were better sv pct and GAA wise but was losing way more games, never under estimate price's 912 sv pct and that 2.77 in the so called disaster year, even when things are going SO bad for carey, he can still show that it wasnt entirely HIS fault.

This year, 2010-2011 (23 years old) Sitting at 15 GP, 10 wins, 5 losses, 1 otl, 0.923 sv % ,2.12 GAA
Halak may be the better goalie AT the moment, but Prices career has been coming along QUITE nicely if i do say so myself compared to the greats, everyones just gotta give him time to GROW, the city's STARVING for a winner and a goalie winner at that, thats why it makes it so hard on carey sometimes, but never ever say that carey isnt doing his best to make it happen.

Edit : Roy 33 wins and 5 losses in 89 without bowman and the 76 team...lol what the hell IS that!!! is that even possible?!!? my god

Last edited by Redux91: 11-12-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:47 PM
LastRide

Price has been playing really well. I was a bit surprised he was able to turn it around that quick. Must be that stash he's growing..LOL. If I have one knock on him. Its the rebounds on an easy shot. Leading to a second scoring chance.

LastRide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
While I agree for the most part, Price didn't help his situation last year. I don't think he played poorly, but he didn't seem anywhere near as aggressive as he is this year. Obviously that aggression comes with confidence, so it's understandable, but to say that it's ONLY the team in front of him is just flat out wrong.

It's amazing what confidence can do for a player in any sport.
I have no doubt that he's a lot happier than he was last year. But really, how many games were there last season that he stood on his head only to lose because the entire game was played in our end? He was absolutely snakebit and most of the blame was due to the team in front of him. He's been a bit better this season (so far) but it's pretty much in line with how he played last year. The team in front of him is the biggest difference.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:42 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

Overall I'd say the difference this year is in his head. He looks much more comfortable in front of the net, and I think more responsible too.

I haven't noticed him glaring accusingly at the defense after a goal, or bashing the posts in frustration so far this year. Hes playing much more "let in a goal? Get back up and get into the game again".

Here's hoping it continues.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Alright i GOTTA do it

Patrick Roy

1985-1986 (21 years old) 47 GP ,23 Wins, 18 Losses, 3 ties , 0.875 sv %, 3.35 GAA (BUT also won the cup that year so lol)
1986-1987 (22 years old) 46 GP, 22 Wins, 16 Losses, 6 ties , 0.891 sv %, 2.93 GAA
1987-1988 (23 years old ) 45 GP ,23 Wins, 12 Losses, 9 ties, 0.900 sv %, 2.90 GAA
so yeah, careys doing not too bad id say, however check roys 88-89!
1988-1989 (24 years old) 48 GP 33 Wins 5 losses, 0.908 sv %, 2.47 GAA, Vezina. Whoa.
And the Year he won his 2nd cup with montreal 1992-1993, (28 years old) 68 GP, 31 Wins, 25 Losses , 5 ties, 0.894 Sv. % , 3.20 GAA, not what you call a SOLID season, but! another cup.

Martin Brodeur

1991-1992 (20 years old) NHL 4 GP , 2 wins, 1 loss , .882 sv %, 3.35 GAA
1992-1993 (21 years old) AHL ONLY : 32 GP , 14 Wins, 13 losses, 0.884 sv %, 4.03 GAA
1993-1994 (22 years old) NHL 47 GP , 27 Wins, 11 losses , 8 ties, 0.915 sv % , 2.40 GAA, Official Rookie year stats, check price's rookie numbers
1994-1995 (23 years old), 40 GP, 19 Wins, 11 Losses, 6 ties, .906 sv. %, 2.45 GAA. 3 shutouts , but, he won the Stanley Cup that year at 23 yrs old, and he took over the NHL after that if you check his stats after this year.

Carey Price

2007-2008 (20 years old) NHL 41 GP, 24 Wins, 12 Losses, 3 otl, 0.920 sv %, 2.56 GAA, 3 shutouts, 11 playoff games. Looks pretty similar to brodeurs rookie year no?
2008-2009 (21 years old) NHL 51 GP , 23 Wins, 16 Losses, 10 otl, 0.905 sv%, 2.83 GAA
2009-2010 (22 years old) NHL 41 GP , 13 wins, 20 losses, 5 otl, 0.912 sv%, 2.77 GAA, in the so called DISASTER year, and the year halak took over, everyone says price may have taklen a step backwards but the previous year his stats were worse and had more wins, that year his stats were better sv pct and GAA wise but was losing way more games, never under estimate price's 912 sv pct and that 2.77 in the so called disaster year, even when things are going SO bad for carey, he can still show that it wasnt entirely HIS fault.

This year, 2010-2011 (23 years old) Sitting at 15 GP, 10 wins, 5 losses, 1 otl, 0.923 sv % ,2.12 GAA
Halak may be the better goalie AT the moment, but Prices career has been coming along QUITE nicely if i do say so myself compared to the greats, everyones just gotta give him time to GROW, the city's STARVING for a winner and a goalie winner at that, thats why it makes it so hard on carey sometimes, but never ever say that carey isnt doing his best to make it happen.

Edit : Roy 33 wins and 5 losses in 89 without bowman and the 76 team...lol what the hell IS that!!! is that even possible?!!? my god
Not to undermine your analysis, since Price is clearly on the same curve (minus the playoff run) as these other goalies, but you can't compare stats from different eras straight up. A .915 sv% in the 80s was impossible, whereas today it's almost the minimum to be considered among the top ten. You need to compare stats against the league average at the time. Eyesontheprize does a great job of presenting stats in context like this.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 10:19 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Not to undermine your analysis, since Price is clearly on the same curve (minus the playoff run) as these other goalies, but you can't compare stats from different eras straight up. A .915 sv% in the 80s was impossible, whereas today it's almost the minimum to be considered among the top ten. You need to compare stats against the league average at the time. Eyesontheprize does a great job of presenting stats in context like this.
Exactly! Remember when a 3.00 GAA and a .900 save percentage meant that you were a good goalie, not a poor goaltender?

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 10:28 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I was always a fan of Price. I've always been concerned since the 2009 All-Star game he might never be the same again, he seemed like a broken man mentally who just didn't know what to do or how to go about his position on the team anymore. A bad goal used to visibily rattle him terribly.

What we have right now is the goalie we thought we would get with Price, the season is still relatively young but he's shown no signs of slowing down. He may have finally arrived.

I have never been happier to be wrong about a player in my life.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
This is it.

The Habs are playing the best hockey of easily the last half decade or longer. Even better than the anomaly of 2006-2007. It's not hard to remember a time when they were routinely outchanced, sagged badly with the lead, who seemed incapable of forechecking or going to the net. I'll give JM credit, he seems to have culled these traits from the herd.

The team forechecks, uses it's speed, closes gaps quickly, blocks shots, gives second effort, and seemingly has dropped it's identity of being only a special teams heavyweight that relies on unbelievable goaltending and fortunate momentum shifts.

Who knows what has created this rebirth. With nobody fighting for a big contract, or the captaincy, and with last years crutch and good luck charm playing in St. Louis perhaps the team has just naturally settled in and bought in to some team approach the coach was selling all along.

And yes, definitely Price is part of the new and improved program. He's shown he can step up to being a puckstopper that can help them win moreso than a puckstopper that can play well enough to not be singled as a cause for losing. He's sharper and has taken care of glaring weaknesses that were holding him back, which I can only suspect came from harder work. And maybe that's this year's answer. Hard work, being infectious as it is sometimes, can snowball when it's shown by the right people.

Like you said, something is different this year and it extends well beyond the blue ice.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
This is it.

The Habs are playing the best hockey of easily the last half decade or longer. Even better than the anomaly of 2006-2007. It's not hard to remember a time when they were routinely outchanced, sagged badly with the lead, who seemed incapable of forechecking or going to the net. I'll give JM credit, he seems to have culled these traits from the herd.

The team forechecks, uses it's speed, closes gaps quickly, blocks shots, gives second effort, and seemingly has dropped it's identity of being only a special teams heavyweight that relies on unbelievable goaltending and fortunate momentum shifts.

Who knows what has created this rebirth. With nobody fighting for a big contract, or the captaincy, and with last years crutch and good luck charm playing in St. Louis perhaps the team has just naturally settled in and bought in to some team approach the coach was selling all along.

And yes, definitely Price is part of the new and improved program. He's shown he can step up to being a puckstopper that can help them win moreso than a puckstopper that can play well enough to not be singled as a cause for losing. He's sharper and has taken care of glaring weaknesses that were holding him back, which I can only suspect came from harder work. And maybe that's this year's answer. Hard work, being infectious as it is sometimes, can snowball when it's shown by the right people.

Like you said, something is different this year and it extends well beyond the blue ice.
This is the most accurate and best post I have read so far in this season...Awesome dude!!!! Great take on the team, years prior to this one the team would sag and lose horribly...a fine example would have been any time Markov was injured, If the PP slumped, Kovalev and Plekanec and top guys not scoring, not so this year....Our guys are winning in spite of it, not losing because of it. Great post

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:32 AM
neofury*

Quote:
This is it.

Bingo! I think you're right, it's a group effort but in a case with a goalie the spotlight is magnified for the better or worse.

It's definitely hard work though, he's the most played goalie in the NHL right now and he's on pace to have a repeat of his awesome rookie season, only difference is back then he was a kid now he's a man. I think come playoff time we'll see the difference, this season we'll likely win games we would otherwise have lost had it not been for his stellar goaltending though, that I will say.

I hope Auld gets some chances and comes up big cause if he does that would be epic. We need Price to be ready for the post season. I'd rather finish 6th-8th with a healthy Price than 1-5th and Price is tired as ****. Hope Auld gets some more starts and we get the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
This is the most accurate and best post I have read so far in this season...Awesome dude!!!! Great take on the team, years prior to this one the team would sag and lose horribly...a fine example would have been any time Markov was injured, If the PP slumped, Kovalev and Plekanec and top guys not scoring, not so this year....Our guys are winning in spite of it, not losing because of it. Great post
Yeah exactly and if injuries don't screw us over we could have an alright chance in the post season. For me though I think next season will be the deciding point in us becoming a known contender for 3+ years. What Gauthier does in this off season is really important. I personally think so long as Price is playing like this the habs "puzzle" is now only missing a couple pieces I also think UFA's will now want to sign here because they'll recognize our hard working team, good work ethic, good management, good history and a good team. That's what will make some UFA's say "hrmm I could sign in San Jose but why not sign in Montreal and try to win a Stanley Cup". We need to separate ourselves from those middle of the pack teams and imo Gauthier has a serious opportunity to do it this off season.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:36 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
This is it.

Like you said, something is different this year and it extends well beyond the blue ice
First of all I just want to say excellent post. Very accurate.

You wanna know what is behind this rebirth? Look no further:

I agree the team as whole is playing excellent hockey, but the difference maker (outside of Price's stellar play) has been PK Subban. He's completely changed the backend of our team with his abilities, and the proof is in the numbers.

Last season:

Shots for/Game: 28.6
Shots against/Game: 32.1

So far this season:

Shots for/Game: 31.1
Shots against/Game: 28.6

It's almost a complete reversal, and anyone who watches the games and see's how PK helps us transition the puck can attest to how important he has been to our early success this season. The team is playing excellent and PK has been a huge piece in that team. It's a god damn shame that Pierre McGuire was too blind to see it and put him in his Top 5 rookies so far this year. Ekman-Larsson? Please, he's a great prospect and he'll have a great future but there is a reason why they just sent him down to San Antonio.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:42 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
First of all I just want to say excellent post. Very accurate.

You wanna know what is behind this rebirth? Look no further:

I agree the team as whole is playing excellent hockey, but the difference maker (outside of Price's stellar play) has been PK Subban. He's completely changed the backend of our team with his abilities, and the proof is in the numbers.

Last season:

Shots for/Game: 28.6
Shots against/Game: 32.1

So far this season:

Shots for/Game: 31.1
Shots against/Game: 28.6

It's almost a complete reversal, and anyone who watches the games and see's how PK helps us transition the puck can attest to how important he has been to our early success this season. The team is playing excellent and PK has been a huge piece in that team. It's a god damn shame that Pierre McGuire was too blind to see it and put him in his Top 5 rookies so far this year. Ekman-Larsson? Please, he's a great prospect and he'll have a great future but there is a reason why they just sent him down to San Antonio.
I must admit in the back of my mind I was thinking the same thing. Even look we went to the ECF with PK. It has to count for something right? Also he's been exceptional defensively this year, he's exceeded my expectations defensively and matched my expectations offensively, though I think he's capable of scoring some more goals Plus the dude you mentioned got sent back down the AHL today, so that must be a ****ing joke.

I mean here's a clue that PK is good. Drafted in 2007 round 2 #43. 2007 guys... and he was in the playoffs with us as early as last year and he's one of our best D. I mean really 3 years ago this guy got drafted he's only 21 years old.....

PK and Price are winners. Gomez and Gionta are NHL winners. These guys know what hard work and winning is about.

18 NHL games in regular season 9pts. That's 0.5ppg life time.

Playoffs 14gp 8pts, obviously he wasn't as good defensively then as he is now but that's a moot point really cause now is what matters. More than 0.5ppg in playoffs.

For a defenseman those are superstar player numbers. Sure he hasn't played in the league long, sure he wasn't a pro defensively last year in the playoffs but he is now. What was Pierre McGuire honestly thinking, he loses credibility imo by not including PK. PK is a defenseman who showed up in his only playoff stint, who is magical on the ice, plays well on both ends, can carry the puck up ice, has a nice hard shot, but he isn't included in the top 5 rookies? That's hogwash if you ask me because PK is a defenseman not a forward and so far his numbers and play have been exceptional for a rookie D.

PS: The next Brodeur: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=124602

Last edited by neofury*: 11-13-2010 at 11:52 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:24 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Biggest thing I notice is how calm he is. Amazing how much confidence can affect play.
last year his calmness was non chalant and people said he didn't care, this year his calmness is sign of confidence. He's always been calm and concentrated imo

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:43 PM
THE HOFF

I don't think it ever was about carey price. People were entitled to have an opinion on this :'' which goalie would you keep '' ... and I stood on the halak side honestly thinking halak would be the better goalie, and the player I want to represent the organisation going forward. When halak got traded, a lot of people disagreed... like me... but even moreso with the return we had. (Now don't get me wrong I think eller will be a solid nhl player at some point... but I would have liked a player ready to step in full time on the top 6, without any further development...)

As it turns out, both of them are doing better than anticipated ... whether you would have kept price or halak, you have to be reasonable and aknowledge how lucky we were to have them both.

Price proved me wrong this year... he seems much more focused and I'm pretty sure losing his position last year was a healthy pain. He's the exact same goalie... but something happened between his ears. Getting scored on seems to motivate him instead of taking his moral down ... and for me that's a huge difference .

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
last year his calmness was non chalant and people said he didn't care, this year his calmness is sign of confidence. He's always been calm and concentrated imo
I am not sure where Price got the legend of being "calm", at least any more than any other goaltender that wasn't in the mould of Roy, Hextall, or Billy Smith but it really isn't true. He's admitted to holding back puke in the big games. Goalie demeanour is that of a deodorant commercial - don't let them see you sweat- and regardless of how he feels inside he's been conditioned to show a stoic outside, probably from the day he started playing the goal position.

Price's change is in fact that he's no longer calm and cool. Or at least not looking cool. He's exchanged late but nice looking glides for early push offs and atheticism. He's challenging shooters and making better timings when going down. To me he looks more like a player who wants to stop a puck rather than someone willing to look good not stopping it. An unintended lesson from Halak to the thoroughbred while the thoroughbred was forced to watch? dunno.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:05 PM
SB164

Carey Price is on the path of redemption just like Kenny Powers.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Carey Price is on the path of redemption just like Kenny Powers.
bah see this is what i hate , what redemption! hes 23 years old!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote