HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Things went about as good as they could with Jesse Martin today. Wouldn't put it past this classy kid if he was skating again in a year or 2.
http://www.startribune.com/local/106...7PQLanchO7DiUr
http://kstc45.com/article/stories/S1...html?cat=12141

Last edited by Dakota Sioux: 11-09-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old
11-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
I'm always for player safety and strict guidelines for hitting near the boards and high hits, but the two game misconducts against North Dakota tonight Vs Wisconsin was just crazy. Both were legal hits, no malicious intent or poor judgment by the hitter, just bad circumstance.

It amazes me how many times guys are put in vulnerable positions in today's game, pro or amateur.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Another pointless game for Kristo. When do we start getting worried?

Old
11-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm always for player safety and strict guidelines for hitting near the boards and high hits, but the two game misconducts against North Dakota tonight Vs Wisconsin was just crazy. Both were legal hits, no malicious intent or poor judgment by the hitter, just bad circumstance.

It amazes me how many times guys are put in vulnerable positions in today's game, pro or amateur.
I agree.So now players are getting penalized(Sioux players in particular) for hitting players who have there heads down. Frickin BS. I didn't see the Gleason hit as I was at the rink coaching but I did see the Hextall hit and the kid put himself in that position to get drilled. Keep your frickin head up. Simple.

Old
11-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Dakota Sioux

Sioux/bucky tied at 0 after 1. Sioux outshot the fadgers 16-4.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It was a great tight game, he played well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
I agree.So now players are getting penalized(Sioux players in particular) for hitting players who have there heads down. Frickin BS. I didn't see the Gleason hit as I was at the rink coaching but I did see the Hextall hit and the kid put himself in that position to get drilled. Keep your frickin head up. Simple.
That's the thing, its' not that simple, or all of hockey would not be talking about these upper body hits.

I agree those calls were just made cause the hits 'looked bad'. They did, they looked like two fast skaters hitting at speeds both would need to be prepared for for someone NOT to get hurt.

Problem is, besides players who are stupid or lazy, in this day and age, there's literally no way a player can always know where everyone on the ice is at all times.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
The Gleason hit was eerily reminiscent of the Bina hit but without the same consequence, thank god. Sorry, it's not as simple as "keep your head up". You could say that about the Martin incident and the Blake Geoffrion/Erin Marvin hit last year. I'm seeing more of a problem with players who need to keep their elbows down (hello, Hextall, Malone, et. al) than players who need to keep their head up. The fact that NoDak has been involved in 3 dodgy hits is no more of a conspiracy than Craig Smith getting tossed for some questionable agression the past couple years.

I call BS when I see it, whether it be a Badger player or otherwise: tuck the F***ing elbow when you hit someone and do not drive into a player when you're near the boards!

Old
11-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
The Gleason hit was eerily reminiscent of the Bina hit but without the same consequence, thank god. Sorry, it's not as simple as "keep your head up". You could say that about the Martin incident and the Blake Geoffrion/Erin Marvin hit last year. I'm seeing more of a problem with players who need to keep their elbows down (hello, Hextall, Malone, et. al) than players who need to keep their head up. The fact that NoDak has been involved in 3 dodgy hits is no more of a conspiracy than Craig Smith getting tossed for some questionable agression the past couple years.

I call BS when I see it, whether it be a Badger player or otherwise: tuck the F***ing elbow when you hit someone and do not drive into a player when you're near the boards!
Gleason hit him in the shoulder.It was boarding for 2 minutes.I call it like I see it too.That hit wasn't even close to when Bina got drilled. See for yourself.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-i4H...layer_embedded
Marvin hit Genoway in the back and Genoway had his head up.Marvin is like 6 inches taller than him.Come on man.
Oh by the way SIOUXWEEP!!!!!!!!! Men against boys tonite.Sioux outshoot bucky 43-16.

Last edited by Dakota Sioux: 11-13-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old
11-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
He had one tonite but was disallowed because of a man in the crease.Kid can't buy a break.Sounded like he was all over the ice tonite.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:40 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Gleason hit him in the shoulder.It was boarding for 2 minutes.I call it like I see it too.That hit wasn't even close to when Bina got drilled. See for yourself.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-i4H...layer_embedded
Marvin hit Genoway in the back and Genoway had his head up.Marvin is like 6 inches taller than him.Come on man.
Oh by the way SIOUXWEEP!!!!!!!!! Men against boys tonite.Sioux outshoot bucky 43-16.
Freeze the video at 10 seconds...Gleason; elbow up....let alone following through and driving a guy into the boards. Same with the Hextall hit as well as Malone. We'll have to agree to disagree about this one but that kind of crap will cost them if they keep that s**t up in the playoffs, as they usually do with Hack-stol's teams.

Congrats on the sweep. The Green Gophers were the better team this weekend. I'm just glad no one's hockey playing days are over after the BS Friday night.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Dakota Sioux

Watching the replay of tonights game and the bucky fans are chanting sieve sieve to Dell as he leaves the ice for a period break. Ah Dell at that point had yet to give up a goal to the fadgers in 4 periods.

Nice cheap shot by Johnson on Kristo after the whislte to start the 3rd. Lucky Kristo didn't get hurt.

What the hell was Craig Smith doing knocking the net off going after Blood? Stupid penalty.Thanks for the powerplay goal.

Last edited by Dakota Sioux: 11-13-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old
11-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Thanks for the report on Kristo. Always hard to judge how a player does based on a stat line. But another pointless game tonight.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Thanks for the report on Kristo. Always hard to judge how a player does based on a stat line. But another pointless game tonight.
It will come.Remember it took 11 games last year before he scored.This is game 12.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Freeze the video at 10 seconds...Gleason; elbow up....let alone following through and driving a guy into the boards. Same with the Hextall hit as well as Malone. We'll have to agree to disagree about this one but that kind of crap will cost them if they keep that s**t up in the playoffs, as they usually do with Hack-stol's teams.

Congrats on the sweep. The Green Gophers were the better team this weekend. I'm just glad no one's hockey playing days are over after the BS Friday night.
Definitely disagree on that.To compare Gleasons hit to the one Bina suffered is way off base.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Dakota Sioux

I say the Sioux keep wearing those black jerseys.They are now 21-1-2 in them in the past 5 years.

Old
11-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Dakota Sioux

I wonder if Smith is related to Tyler Hirsch. The Sioux appreciated the powerplay and the powerplay goal. What a stupid thing to do. I love how Blood is laughing at him and points to the penalty box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUevFye7FtM

Old
11-14-2010, 07:51 PM
sfo

Quote:
I say the Sioux keep wearing those black jerseys.They are now 21-1-2 in them in the past 5 years.
we should make those our road jerseys and the greens our alternates!

Old
11-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Dakota Sioux

The Sioux go to Omaha friday for their series against the Blais led Mavericks.Damn what I would give to there for these 2 games.UNO is 3rd in the nation in penalty minutes and the Sioux are 5th. With that said this will more than likely come down to who has the better special teams.Right now a split looks good to me but a sweep would obviously be better.After what the Sioux did to the fadgers on saturday they will come in with alot of confidence but so will the Mavs after they took 3 of 4 points from St. Cloud. This will be the top match up in the league this weekend hands down.

Old
11-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
we should make those our road jerseys and the greens our alternates!
Now that would be okay with me.

Reality is starting to set in.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/183396

Old
11-17-2010, 06:48 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Now that would be okay with me.

Reality is starting to set in.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/183396
I'll lay it out there; I'm a very politically left leaning dude. that being said I can't for the life of me see how The Fighting Sioux logo and name is in any way offensive to the tribe it represents. I think the name and logo are tastefully done and pays homage to the namesake. I could see how someone could argue the Cleveland Indians logo, since it's a caricature by nature (I'm not one of those that oppose it), and The Washington Redskins...that's a racial slur no matter what spin you put on it. I watched the same thing happen in my backyard with Marquette and this is equally sad and pointless. I hope the vocal minority that spearheaded this campaign enjoys their shallow victory. Maybe they can get rid of Bucky Badger next; he's pretty violent looking after all. "Hostile and abusive" some may say.

Old
11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Badger36

Have you heard anything about what the new name might be? I heard that they might go with, "Braves".
I personally dont see how, "Sioux" is racist or, "hostile and abusive". I could see changing it if the Sioux nation doesnt want you to use it but it seems like this is more the NCAA talking than it is anyone else.
Id definetly agree with RabidBadger in that, "Redskins" is racist but I dont think Sioux is bad.
I can definetly understand the outrage and frustration for those who went to school at NoDak and are fans of Sioux hockey. I can imagine how upset Id be if UW got rid of of Bucky Badger and the Badger name.
Its a shame that the Standing Rock Sioux tribe didnt give permission to use the name and then everyone could have been happy with this situation.

Old
11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
Have you heard anything about what the new name might be? I heard that they might go with, "Braves".
I personally dont see how, "Sioux" is racist or, "hostile and abusive". I could see changing it if the Sioux nation doesnt want you to use it but it seems like this is more the NCAA talking than it is anyone else.
Id definetly agree with RabidBadger in that, "Redskins" is racist but I dont think Sioux is bad.
I can definetly understand the outrage and frustration for those who went to school at NoDak and are fans of Sioux hockey. I can imagine how upset Id be if UW got rid of of Bucky Badger and the Badger name.
Its a shame that the Standing Rock Sioux tribe didnt give permission to use the name and then everyone could have been happy with this situation.
No knew names have been tossed around yet.I'm thinking they will just go with North Dakota for a year or 2 and go from there.Maybe after the Sioux nation realizes that they cut their own throat by taking the name away that they will come begging to get the name back.Yeah I know wishful thinking.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Badger36

Quote:
No knew names have been tossed around yet.I'm thinking they will just go with North Dakota for a year or 2 and go from there.Maybe after the Sioux nation realizes that they cut their own throat by taking the name away that they will come begging to get the name back.Yeah I know wishful thinking.
Perhaps they could offer the tribes a certain percentage of the money they make from the sales of Sioux merchandise.

Old
11-18-2010, 02:28 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
Perhaps they could offer the tribes a certain percentage of the money they make from the sales of Sioux merchandise.
That's pretty much how Florida State was able to retain the "Seminoles" nickname. I'm curious to see how big the fallout, financially and otherwise, will be. As a fan of the game it's a bummer to see one of the best logos in hockey go by the wayside.

Old
11-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
That's pretty much how Florida State was able to retain the "Seminoles" nickname. I'm curious to see how big the fallout, financially and otherwise, will be. As a fan of the game it's a bummer to see one of the best logos in hockey go by the wayside.
Actually the Hockey News magazine did a survey type contest on the best logo in all of hockey worldwide and the Fighting Sioux logo won it. Yes it is a shame that it has to go.

Closed Thread