HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carter close to signing 10-year deal (post #441 and #675); Leino update (# 675)

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2010, 01:53 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What led to the breakaway wasn't the only time he was doing it. Last night's breakaway was an example of him being a cherry picker.
Loafing, Floating, or cherry picking in ice hockey is when a player, the floater (usually a forward), literally loafs spends time in idleness[1] or casually skates behind the opposing team's unsuspecting defencemen while they are in their attacking zone.

The tactic is used sparingly as although it sometimes creates a breakaway opportunity for the defending team should they manage to take control of the puck and successfully pass it to the floater, it also creates a five-on-four situation (during even strength play) for the attacking team. Also, a good defenceman usually keeps an eye open for the development of these potential situations where he would immediately backcheck once a floater is spotted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loafing_(ice_hockey)

Pause at exactly 2:35. Zherdev is in the bottom right corner pressuring the defenseman. I don't think he's supposed to be playing that high in that situation, but whatever. He sees the Flyers gain control and immediately takes off streaking down the middle.

That's not cherry-picking.

Zherdev does cherry pick. That breakaway goal was not an example of cherry-picking.

Old
11-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Jester

Ah... that's pretty much the definition of cherry picking in the NHL... you hang at the blue line and take off the moment the puck looks like it is going your way. And I don't even really have a problem with it... it was the situation on the scoreboard that makes me think it was a dick move.

Old
11-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Mr Oysterhead

I'd be amped up if we got Carter and Leino resigned.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
I'd be amped up if we got Carter and Leino resigned.
Same here

Old
11-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Loafing, Floating, or cherry picking in ice hockey is when a player, the floater (usually a forward), literally loafs spends time in idleness[1] or casually skates behind the opposing team's unsuspecting defencemen while they are in their attacking zone.

The tactic is used sparingly as although it sometimes creates a breakaway opportunity for the defending team should they manage to take control of the puck and successfully pass it to the floater, it also creates a five-on-four situation (during even strength play) for the attacking team. Also, a good defenceman usually keeps an eye open for the development of these potential situations where he would immediately backcheck once a floater is spotted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loafing_(ice_hockey)

Pause at exactly 2:35. Zherdev is in the bottom right corner pressuring the defenseman. I don't think he's supposed to be playing that high in that situation, but whatever. He sees the Flyers gain control and immediately takes off streaking down the middle.

That's not cherry-picking.

Zherdev does cherry pick. That breakaway goal was not an example of cherry-picking.
I agree with you on this one Chris. He read the play well and took off. I do not think for a minute we believe he is going to get the Selke

Old
11-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Carter looks like Adolf Hitler's wet dream. One more reason to hate him.
You are a flyer fan and you HATE a player on our team? Every GM in the league would love to have your hate on their team

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 11-13-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old
11-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
So, after all your efforts, you turn up a handful of optimists... none of whom (other than BCF16, who is the boards avowed optimist supreme -- which you don't know because you showed up here one day, didn't read anything, and adopted a position of our collective conscience) had wildly high expectations for Carter (a few 80 pt seasons given healthy season, etc.).

I mean, my God, it's just sad.
cartsiefan cracks me up. Carter could win the Hart,Byng,Ross,Smythe,Masterton,Lindsay,Selke,Clan cy,Richard and Messier. And he will still say it was dumb luck and he sucks Remember Jester, cartsie's glass is never half full,its always half empty

Old
11-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Ah... that's pretty much the definition of cherry picking in the NHL... you hang at the blue line and take off the moment the puck looks like it is going your way. And I don't even really have a problem with it... it was the situation on the scoreboard that makes me think it was a dick move.
This is what i don't understand. If Z scored 20 goals a season doing this, then what is your problem? Are you honestly saying that we shouldn't be looking to score goals because we are winning? If a team doesn't want to be scored on, play better D

I don't think Z is going to gain any recognition this year for anything he does. If he scores a goal it was by cherry picking, if he makes a defensive play, it will be blind luck.

Old
11-13-2010, 07:11 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
What led to the breakaway wasn't the only time he was doing it. Last night's breakaway was an example of him being a cherry picker.
I dont think that play was bad. Giroux and JVR often do similar reads

Old
11-13-2010, 07:33 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
cartsiefan cracks me up. Carter could win the Hart,Byng,Ross,Smythe,Masterton,Lindsay,Selke,Clan cy,Richard and Messier. And he will still say it was dumb luck and he sucks Remember Jester, cartsie's glass is never half full,its always half empty
Anyone find it odd that Carter's biggest hater has a username that would suggest that complete opposite?

Old
11-13-2010, 07:59 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
What's hilarious is that Spongolium criticizes Carter for not scoring against PO teams (proven false by the way) and is then defending Zherdev for a goal he scored to make the score 8-1.

I mean really, the Carter haters keep topping themselves, it's pretty funny.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Anyone find it odd that Carter's biggest hater has a username that would suggest that complete opposite?
ODD is the key word here

Old
11-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
I think Jones' commented on it immediately once he scored and said something of the nature:

"This is professional hockey, If you can't stop that then you deserve to get scored on..."

I see ethically why you shouldn't be victimizing a team when they're on the ground and beaten, but this also isn't a high school JV squad we're talking about either.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Zherdev wasn't cherry picking. The Flyers were getting control of the puck and he took off trying to create a chance. Maybe someone with more attention to detail in their own zone isn't taking off like that, but if your team has the puck and you can get up on a breakaway, they're going for goal.

Anyways, if the Hurricanes didn't like it, they should have stopped them. I didn't hear any whining from Paul Maurice like Bruce Boudreau did a few years ago when we lit up the Caps 7-1 after they put 25 shots on Nittymaki in the first period.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)

Last edited by GKJ: 11-13-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old
11-13-2010, 09:31 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Not sure if serious...

Old
11-13-2010, 09:34 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
lol, no it's not.

Sorry, you're out to lunch on this one. Taking off when you're sure your team is about to get the puck is a good play and can be a difficult read. I promise you, I'm a pretty high level player and I look for teammates to take off for breakaways as long as they're not sitting at the opposing blue line waiting for the pass. *THAT* is cherry picking.

If you're doing your coverage and can read that you'll have an opportunity to break free, you're an idiot for not doing it.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:35 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

CartsiePhan or whatever his name is must be having a heart attack right now.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
lol, no it's not.

Sorry, you're out to lunch on this one. Taking off when you're sure your team is about to get the puck is a good play and can be a difficult read. I promise you, I'm a pretty high level player and I look for teammates to take off for breakaways as long as they're not sitting at the opposing blue line waiting for the pass. *THAT* is cherry picking.

If you're doing your coverage and can read that you'll have an opportunity to break free, you're an idiot for not doing it.
Not at the NHL level it ain't... if you're doing that, you're watching from the press box. The "cherry picking" of the professional level is a different beast... That's the same move Ovie and Kovalchuk do all the time.

And, again, I don't have a problem with it in general... just when you're up 7-1 with two minutes left in the game, you probably don't need to be out hawking for home run passes.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
I think Jones' commented on it immediately once he scored and said something of the nature:

"This is professional hockey, If you can't stop that then you deserve to get scored on..."

I see ethically why you shouldn't be victimizing a team when they're on the ground and beaten, but this also isn't a high school JV squad we're talking about either.
It's one thing to keep playing and all of that stuff... a la the Briere goal. With two minutes left, up 7-1... different story.

Peters should have just pulled a Hasek and gone out there and clipped him.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
What's hilarious is that Spongolium criticizes Carter for not scoring against PO teams (proven false by the way) and is then defending Zherdev for a goal he scored to make the score 8-1.

I mean really, the Carter haters keep topping themselves, it's pretty funny.
Actually, go read my post genius. I asked what the totals were. I guess thats criticizing now is. What i find funny is you keep making sarcastic comments about carter, that no one finds funny, and that everyone ignores. Keep going though buddy!

Old
11-13-2010, 11:18 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Okay, maybe a bit off here. But I think most of the Carter hate comes from his face. He has one of those faces you just wanna punch his teeth out. You know, the smirk, the "I just banged your sister" bleeched tips...

Yeah. Personally, I like em, always have. But yeah. whatever.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Okay, maybe a bit off here. But I think most of the Carter hate comes from his face. He has one of those faces you just wanna punch his teeth out. You know, the smirk, the "I just banged your sister" bleeched tips...

I think we all know that Carter has popped a collar or two in his day.

Which is sad.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post

What infuriates me about carter is that he is either on or off. He will either control the show out there all game, or you will see 15 high and wides. There is never any consistency with him. He doesn't bring the same game every night

Old
11-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Not at the NHL level it ain't... if you're doing that, you're watching from the press box. The "cherry picking" of the professional level is a different beast... That's the same move Ovie and Kovalchuk do all the time.

And, again, I don't have a problem with it in general... just when you're up 7-1 with two minutes left in the game, you probably don't need to be out hawking for home run passes.

In general I agree with the cherry picking statement but I'd much rather have a team that's aggressive for the full 60. Guys start getting passive and getting into a shell leading to valuable forwards and defensemen having to block shots needlessly. Like GKJ said earlier, Paul Maurice was pretty classy about the beatdown.

Old
11-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
What infuriates me about carter is that he is either on or off. He will either control the show out there all game, or you will see 15 high and wides. There is never any consistency with him. He doesn't bring the same game every night
You have just described every non-HOF player who has ever played in the NHL.

Closed Thread