HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFAs / Roster Changes/ Trades / Deadline Discussion 2011?

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2010, 09:05 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
I'd hope we don't go down the long contract route TBH, I'd never feel comfortable with it, one serious injury and you'll be paying it off for years.

Look at the Isles and DP for example

Old
11-13-2010, 10:36 AM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
I think Getz and Perry WANT to play together judging on what they told Bobby and I think they know that in order for us to resign them both and stay competitive they cant take market value.

I'm thinking...

Perry: 6-6.5

Getz: 6.5-7.5

I dont think getz is worth 8-8.5 mil and if thats what he wants then we need to look into other options.
As much as I hate them, I would love if the Ducks became somewhat like Detroit where it is a great place to play with winning teams and loyalty to the players. That atmosphere gets players to sign discounts.

Plus as the cap goes up well will be better able to have higher contracts.

I'm opposed to long contracts but Getzlaf is one I would consider. I would rather just do a 5 or so year deal and re-up later. If he wanted 10 years though, I probably don't so no.

Old
11-13-2010, 02:58 PM
defer*

Carter signed a 11 year 5.25 contract.

Old
11-13-2010, 03:40 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Getzlaf is the best of the 3, but is also the last of the big 3 that I'd give a long term deal to. He has motivation/effort problems as is, and a history of it in junior as well. A guaranteed long term contract is the surest way to kill that.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Carter signed a 11 year 5.25 contract.
Fire Bob Murray now!!! 11 year, 5.25 mil for Ryan Carter? I mean c'mon!

Gotcha!

Old
11-13-2010, 07:08 PM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Getzlaf is the best of the 3, but is also the last of the big 3 that I'd give a long term deal to. He has motivation/effort problems as is, and a history of it in junior as well. A guaranteed long term contract is the surest way to kill that.
Realistically though, assume these three things.

1) Getzlaf wants to be in Anaheim.

2) Getzlaf will be willing to take a discount so that he, Corey, and Bobby can stay with the Ducks (a la Carter, Richards in Philly).

3) Getzlaf wants to hoist the cup once again (this isn't even an assumption).

Getzlaf takes a lot of heat from people on these boards. The effort/motivation issue is something that is looked too far into. It seems we forget that he's managed at least a point per game since 2007; he's easily a top five center; he's a top five playmaker, etc.

A six feet four, two hundred and twenty pound body is not going to look like Jason Blake when he's skating full speed. No, he doesn't necessarily give all of his effort every shift, but when it's necessary he dominates. (Also, who gives all out effort every shift besides Blake? ) I see many "How did Getzlaf end up with X points tonight" comments. Well, the answer is he's a superstar, but a power forward/playmaker. He's not going to wow you with skating and shooting like Stamkos, Crosby, Parise. He's going to make his presence known along the boards, get the puck, and dish it to Ryan, Perry, Selanne, etc. Yes, we want to bang our heads into an ice sculpture of Paul Kariya when watching Getzlaf try and make the pretty play, but hell, I'll let him decide since he's got the skill to execute it four out of five times.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
I think Getzlaf will resign with the Ducks no problem but I would be on the lookout for Brian Burke. He almost poached the Sedins from the Canucks last year.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:42 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG We Need Defense View Post
Realistically though, assume these three things.

1) Getzlaf wants to be in Anaheim.

2) Getzlaf will be willing to take a discount so that he, Corey, and Bobby can stay with the Ducks (a la Carter, Richards in Philly).

3) Getzlaf wants to hoist the cup once again (this isn't even an assumption).

Getzlaf takes a lot of heat from people on these boards. The effort/motivation issue is something that is looked too far into. It seems we forget that he's managed at least a point per game since 2007; he's easily a top five center; he's a top five playmaker, etc.

A six feet four, two hundred and twenty pound body is not going to look like Jason Blake when he's skating full speed. No, he doesn't necessarily give all of his effort every shift, but when it's necessary he dominates. (Also, who gives all out effort every shift besides Blake? ) I see many "How did Getzlaf end up with X points tonight" comments. Well, the answer is he's a superstar, but a power forward/playmaker. He's not going to wow you with skating and shooting like Stamkos, Crosby, Parise. He's going to make his presence known along the boards, get the puck, and dish it to Ryan, Perry, Selanne, etc. Yes, we want to bang our heads into an ice sculpture of Paul Kariya when watching Getzlaf try and make the pretty play, but hell, I'll let him decide since he's got the skill to execute it four out of five times.
Getzlaf is the one you keep. Big centers are rare. Doesn't mean we shouldn't avoid a long contract.

And besides, let's put effort aside. You yourself say Getzlaf is a power forward. Well that play style could lead him to injuries. Then you might get a DiPietro type situation. Although that does apply to all 3 of our forwards as they all play that style.

As an aside, I strongly believe that Carter's contract is a mistake. Richards I'm actually fine with a long contract, you know he has the drive and work ethic. I never liked Carter much, even when he was scoring 46 goals. We shall see, but I think that contract will become an albatross.

Old
11-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Pepper

If Getzlaf or Perry ever become UFAs, Brian Burke will be after them harder than Ken Hitchcock in all-you-can-eat-buffet.

Old
11-14-2010, 06:35 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
If Getzlaf or Perry ever become UFAs, Brian Burke will be after them harder than Ken Hitchcock in all-you-can-eat-buffet.
seriously seriously doubt they get to UFA. They probably get locked up the offseason before.

Old
11-14-2010, 07:35 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
seriously seriously doubt they get to UFA. They probably get locked up the offseason before.
I'm not sure they do get locked up ahead of time with Bob Murray. How many people were saying the same thing with Bobby Ryan and his RFA? Also think about how he cut ties early with Pahlsson, Beauchemin, Wisniewski, etc. He just seems to have a line in the sand salary-wise, and will play hardball to get a better "deal".

But maybe Murray did it with Ryan because he knew other GMs would be hesitant to give and offer sheet and because he knew Ryan wanted to stay. Maybe when it comes to UFA he won't be so daring.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Gibson Les Palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
omg that's hilarious

Old
11-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Selanne138

Petr Prucha

what would you guys think about claiming Prucha?

Ive always liked him, and I think hes better than what we have on our third "scoring" line, and worst case we give him a shot until our injuries clear up. I think its no risk moderate reward for us. Thoughts?

Old
11-25-2010, 12:38 PM
MEEPSTER4

He was a hard worker when he was on NYR, but I haven't seen him otherwise. I would be willing to give him a shot.

Old
11-25-2010, 12:47 PM
jepjepjoo

Can't be worse than the current bottom six players.

edit. Nice move mods. ufa?

Last edited by jepjepjoo: 11-25-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old
11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Prucha cleared waivers.

Old
11-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Prucha cleared waivers.
it wont happen, but id like a Carter like situation, where we move some dead weight (Hillier, Jafffrey, etc) for the waived player

Old
12-02-2010, 11:00 PM
gradeAducksfan

Just for fun!

Let's play GM

The Ducks are playing pretty good right now. I only hope they don't go into a tallspin for 6 games again. The west is looking more and more like your going to need 95 + points to get into the playoffs. If you were the GM who would you look for at the deadline?

Old
12-02-2010, 11:25 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Hard to say. We could use a third line center, or maybe more 4th line "identity". Mara, Lilja could be upgraded on defense, hopefully Sbisa stays strong.

On the other hand, if we are in it at the trade deadline to be buyers then Bonino is clicking on the third line with Lupul or Ryan and the other two areas might be solid as well. I don't think we would be willing to move certain pieces for higher end talent and we are fairly set for depth. It all depends where the bottom six develop, and how the defense holds up. If I had to pick one thing, I would say a strong checking forward.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

I'd like a third line center who can score please!

That being said, I like Bonino, but I'm not sure he's going to produce many points right away. If he does I'll eat my words and be very pleased.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Trade Perry is the only realistic option.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Gibson Les Palms

perry/ryan for weber or suter? yes i remember this guy now!

Old
12-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Tim Connolly is one guy I'd really want, and maybe another defenseman who'd be a nice upgrade on Mara and Lilja.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Jerky Leclerc

The Ducks don't really need a high profile guy like Suter or Weber. We should target a guy like Chris Phillips. It seems like Ottawa is going to have a firesale soon enough. Phillips is going to be a UFA so he can be had for a price. I think Phillips would be a nice complement for Fowler. Ottawa would need to take a defensemen back though.

Old
12-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
The Ducks don't really need a high profile guy like Suter or Weber. We should target a guy like Chris Phillips. It seems like Ottawa is going to have a firesale soon enough. Phillips is going to be a UFA so he can be had for a price. I think Phillips would be a nice complement for Fowler. Ottawa would need to take a defensemen back though.
Mara?

Last edited by Montanaheim: 12-03-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Closed Thread