HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jeff Carter: 11-year Contract Extension, $58M $5.27+ AAV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2010, 03:34 PM
  #101
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah... it's $58M guaranteed to Carter no matter what. By the age of 37, he will have collected roughly $76M from playing hockey.

It's a no brainer to take that guaranteed coin. All the potential problems with this deal are from the Flyers side.
I would think Carter's one of the handful of guys who gets insured, no?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:34 PM
  #102
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,487
vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well, how do you define a "truly great player"?

For instance, Crosby, Lidstrom, hopefully Pronger will all remain very effective, hell, Lidstrom is 40 or so and has been the NHL's best d-man this year, but I would not describe Carter as a "truly great" player.

I think he tops out as maybe a top-20 player and even that might be optimistic.

And again, I can virtually guarantee you Carts has played the same way since he was 12, it's a lot to ask for a guy to change his style completely after 20 years and to remain effective.
I'll get back to you in 7 or 8 years on whether or not he is "great."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:36 PM
  #103
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Shooter has made 2 good signings. Not surprised at all by the long contract to Carter. He figures he wont be around then anyway. Let some other clown figure it out

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:36 PM
  #104
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 300
Good ****

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:38 PM
  #105
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'll get back to you in 7 or 8 years on whether or not he is "great."
I'll get back to you now. He's not. Carter is destined for the Hall of the Very Good.

I brought up Sakic earlier, admittedly dead puck has something to do with this, but Sakic scored 54 when he was 31 and then never cracked 40 again. The difference is that Sakic was a great playmaker and remained very effective while Carts doesn't have that kind of playmaking ability.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:38 PM
  #106
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
How does the same guy that keeps some contracts so reasonable (Carter, Giroux) also **** up the easy contracts (thugs, backup goalies)?

It makes zero ****ing sense. It's like the shortstop that makes all the hard plays and has the easy ones trickle through his legs.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:41 PM
  #107
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'll get back to you now. He's not. Carter is destined for the Hall of the Very Good.

I brought up Sakic earlier, admittedly dead puck has something to do with this, but Sakic scored 54 when he was 31 and then never cracked 40 again. The difference is that Sakic was a great playmaker and remained very effective while Carts doesn't have that kind of playmaking ability.
I the last 40 years the only player to have a shot at scoring 40 at 40 is Teemu Selanne and there aren't many of him in the NHL.

But, in 6 or 7 years 30 goal scorers will be making about 5M per year as the salary cap continues to rise. Just think of what will happen to the cap once more TV revenue comes in and the economy turns around.

Carter and Richards, even on the decline, are going to be playing for peanuts.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
  #108
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
RT @TSNBobMcKenzie: Jeff Carter has agreed to terms on an 11-year, $58 million contract extension with the Philadelphia Flyers. AAV of $5.27M.
I just heard a thud...Can someone please administer some smelling salts to cartsiefan

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:43 PM
  #109
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'll get back to you now. He's not. Carter is destined for the Hall of the Very Good.

I brought up Sakic earlier, admittedly dead puck has something to do with this, but Sakic scored 54 when he was 31 and then never cracked 40 again. The difference is that Sakic was a great playmaker and remained very effective while Carts doesn't have that kind of playmaking ability.
I see Carter being more of a net presence when he gets older - which is perfectly fine considering his size and eye-hand coordination - he'll probably still net over 30 goals a year later in his career, but yea, 40 would really be pushing it, especially with how youth oriented the NHL has become.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:45 PM
  #110
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Well, I don't think it should come as a surprise that I'm happy they extended Carter. Yea, he can be frustrating at times, but he's a hell of a player.

I'm very pleased with the cap hit. I said in another thread that he shouldn't get a dime more than Richards, but he got quite a bit less than that, as far as cap hit goes.

Let's get Leino locked in and we're pretty much set moving forward.

PS: I give Homer alot of ****, and most of it is well deserved in my mind, but he did well on this and the Giroux contract. I'm very, very pleased right now.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:45 PM
  #111
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,852
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
How does the same guy that keeps some contracts so reasonable (Carter, Giroux) also **** up the easy contracts (thugs, backup goalies)?

It makes zero ****ing sense. It's like the shortstop that makes all the hard plays and has the easy ones trickle through his legs.
shortstop: "easy play, i got this....oh it accidentally went through"

holmgren: "ok easy contract, sign a goalie, i got this....oh i accidentally signed shelley for 1.1 mil per"

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:46 PM
  #112
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'll get back to you now. He's not. Carter is destined for the Hall of the Very Good.

I brought up Sakic earlier, admittedly dead puck has something to do with this, but Sakic scored 54 when he was 31 and then never cracked 40 again. The difference is that Sakic was a great playmaker and remained very effective while Carts doesn't have that kind of playmaking ability.
But he has the size and ability to become a good shut down C a la a Jordan Staal.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
  #113
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,870
vCash: 500
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Carter: 11-12 $6M, 12-13 $6.25M, 13-14 $6.5M, 14-15 $6.75M, 15-16 $7M, 16-17 $7M, 17-18 $6.5M, 18-19 $5M, 19-20 $3M, 20-21 $2M, 21-22 $2M

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Carter not eligible for no trade in Year 1. Has full no trades in Years 2, 3, 4. Modified no trade after that for duration.


Last edited by MsWoof: 11-13-2010 at 03:53 PM.
MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
  #114
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,487
vCash: 5500
RT @TSNBobMcKenzie: Carter:*11-12 $6M, 12-13 $6.25M, 13-14 $6.5M, 14-15 $6.75M, 15-16 $7M, 16-17 $7M, 17-18 $6.5M, 18-19 $5M, 19-20 $3M, 20-21 $2M, 21-22 $2M

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
  #115
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I the last 40 years the only player to have a shot at scoring 40 at 40 is Teemu Selanne and there aren't many of him in the NHL.

But, in 6 or 7 years 30 goal scorers will be making about 5M per year as the salary cap continues to rise. Just think of what will happen to the cap once more TV revenue comes in and the economy turns around.

Carter and Richards, even on the decline, are going to be playing for peanuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I see Carter being more of a net presence when he gets older - which is perfectly fine considering his size and eye-hand coordination - he'll probably still net over 30 goals a year later in his career, but yea, 40 would really be pushing it, especially with how youth oriented the NHL has become.
Yeah you guys are both right.

Couple points.

1) I hope the Flyers don't fall into the trap of counting on an ever-expanding cap. Even with a potential new TV deal, it always has a ceiling. Also, people expect the cap to go up, but there are probably at least 5 teams (mostly in the Sun Belt) who are drawing horrifically, the Stars, Isles, Jackets, Yotes, Panthers, and Trashers are all under 75%, that's a pretty significant loss.

I do still agree that 5.27 now might equal 4.5 in 5 years, but that's still a nice chunk of change.

2) The point about Carter around the net is good, I don't think he gets as much credit there as he deserves.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
  #116
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Call me crazy but I don't see any negative on this contract for both sides.

Carter is sacrificing alot of money on this deal to stay in Philly, at least 10-12millions $ over his prime years. Philly gets the low caphit.

I'm really liking the salary structure Holmgren has implemented over the years on this team, its very Detroit like. (no one makes more than X, unless its a free agent.)
Ricky D is a direct example of the potential negative to this contract from the Flyers' perspective. Isles have a HUGE problem right now in Ricky D.

As to the bold: No he isn't. Wait until you see the numbers, I'm sure he's making extremely good money over the next 5 years of that deal. He may have been able to maximize his earnings a bit more in his early 30s, but that really depends on whether or not he avoids injury and how he produces over the next 5.

And, yes, these long-term deals look good on the "cap structure" if you're just focused on the immediate window of slotting everyone in, but it's really difficult to predict where you'll be in 5 years, and what you'll want to do. With these types of deals you decrease your flexibility.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:51 PM
  #117
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah you guys are both right.

Couple points.

1) I hope the Flyers don't fall into the trap of counting on an ever-expanding cap. Even with a potential new TV deal, it always has a ceiling. Also, people expect the cap to go up, but there are probably at least 5 teams (mostly in the Sun Belt) who are drawing horrifically, the Stars, Isles, Jackets, Yotes, Panthers, and Trashers are all under 75%, that's a pretty significant loss.

I do still agree that 5.27 now might equal 4.5 in 5 years, but that's still a nice chunk of change.

2) The point about Carter around the net is good, I don't think he gets as much credit there as he deserves.
I personally think he's the Flyers best player around the crease. The only problem is that he tends to get satisfied with his perimeter game from time to time, and that leads to his scoring droughts.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
  #118
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
But he has the size and ability to become a good shut down C a la a Jordan Staal.
Yeah, that's true to an extent, but Staal is an extraordinarily rare player, basically Carter's athleticism (minus the shot obviously) and Richards-esque defensive instincts.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
  #119
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
That cap hit is a dream come true.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
  #120
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I would think Carter's one of the handful of guys who gets insured, no?
You'd assume... but it's debatable how much of that insurers will insure. No idea how that works for hockey. I know in baseball insurance is tough to get past 3 years (particularly for pitchers).

However, I don't even really care about the insurance... cuz the real issue is if he has a debilitating injury, but still plays. Unless the Flyers start paying me, I don't really care what is going out of their wallet... just how it affects the roster.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:53 PM
  #121
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,856
vCash: 500
I'd say Paulie has redeemed himself entirely. Now if he wants us to like him, he'll get rid of Shelley and Leighton ASAP.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:58 PM
  #122
DickTony
Registered User
 
DickTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
****ing excellent! Great hit.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:58 PM
  #123
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ricky D is a direct example of the potential negative to this contract from the Flyers' perspective. Isles have a HUGE problem right now in Ricky D.
The Isles also have a huge problem in Alexei Yashin. 15 years for a goalie is a big mistake to begin with, in my opinion. That's not to say I think 11 years is a good length for any player, but the risk isn't the same. Still, you're right that same thing could happen.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:58 PM
  #124
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,269
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Per Bob McKenzie's Twitter

Quote:
Carter not eligible for no trade in Year 1. Has full no trades in Years 2, 3, 4. Modified no trade after that for duration.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:06 PM
  #125
Terence Peterman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,296
vCash: 500
Surprising how evenly distributed the actual salary is from year to year.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.