HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Any love for Holmgren now?

Old
11-13-2010, 04:47 PM

vCash: 500
Any love for Holmgren now?

He gets a ludicrous amount of hate for a limited amount of bad moves, most opinions about which are founded on the forthcoming 'cap hell' that we probably won't end up being in after all. The Giroux and Carter signings are excellent value to go with the rest of the team and he's put together this side that looks set to be one of the best in the NHL for a long, long time.

He's made mistakes, but all GM's do (and let's face it, the Gagne deal isn't looking so bad right now) but well done Holmgren overall. Gotta be some love coming?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
he's done well this last week, but the offseason was still complete ****. im pretty sure he was drunk all summer.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:56 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Once another good deal is done everyone is going to start saying how much they always loved Homer and how all his moves have been great. I defended Homer all summer long (and before) and don't remember more than two or three people actually agreeing with me. People can't look past the "bad" moves Homer has made that have really hurt this team (...sarcasm...).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crossbar Ping

Yes to OP

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

having one good week doesnt make up a a summer of ****-ups

but i'm happy right now

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:57 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

This thread only reinforces the fact that HFBoard's universal theme is "What have you done for me lately?"

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

but i'm happy right now
Yeppers thats how I feel. He ****ed up this summer, plain and simple. Im not going to be allover him cause he gave Carter a 11 year contract with a low cap hit.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Jester

Quote:

but i'm happy right now
throwing lots of money at folks isn't necessarily a sign of genius, either.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
This thread only reinforces the fact that HFBoard's universal theme is "What have you done for me lately?"
But it's always been like that and always will, nothing you can do about it.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:

but i'm happy right now
Well, all i saw coming out of this summer was an Eastern Conference champs banner and a team that's a genuine contender to go one step further.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Well, no. I've stuck up for Holmgren fairly often. People act like giving $1m to Shelley is the worst thing in the world. It's only a million and he's easily waived if unnecessary.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Well, no. I've stuck up for Holmgren fairly often. People act like giving $1m to Shelley is the worst thing in the world. It's only a million and he's easily waived if unnecessary.
-Trading Gagne for peanuts (lol Walker)

-Signing Shelly to a contract he doesnt deserve (for 5 minutes a night, ANYTHING over 1 mil is crazy. Oh and that 1 mil could be a difference maker in signing some players, say Leino)

-Not getting a #1 goalie (I know we have Bob but even the idea of a Boucher/Leighton combo for the season is a setup to fail).

Like everyone has said, Im not going to be Homer's buddy just because he can throw money at players

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
zarley zelepukin

Yeah, I was generally in favor of Holmgren until this offseason. The amount of suckitude when only a couple blatantly obvious and easily addressable issues needed fixing was ridiculous. Still an ass.

zarley zelepukin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
he's done well this last week, but the offseason was still complete ****. im pretty sure he was drunk all summer.
Beef he does not drink since his Hartford days.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:21 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:

but i'm happy right now
Agreed.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Beef he does not drink since his Hartford days.
so we assume...

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
throwing lots of money at folks isn't necessarily a sign of genius, either.
I do not really care what people say or think. The fact is he is a good GM period

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
-Trading Gagne for peanuts (lol Walker)

-Signing Shelly to a contract he doesnt deserve (for 5 minutes a night, ANYTHING over 1 mil is crazy. Oh and that 1 mil could be a difference maker in signing some players, say Leino)

-Not getting a #1 goalie (I know we have Bob but even the idea of a Boucher/Leighton combo for the season is a setup to fail).

Like everyone has said, Im not going to be Homer's buddy just because he can throw money at players
Gagne's barely playing and currently has 0 points for the Bolts. So far, it looks like we've saved $3m by signing Zherdev and got a good few more points.

As i say, he's made mistakes but i think his plus points outweigh them.

Bottom line...We have a fantastic team and it's not a 'win or gone' like the Hawks did. This team is hanging around for years.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Terence Peterman

No. I don't get these threads or posts...every ****ing time Homer doesn't **** the bed people act like we should applaud until our hands fall off because A) "It's a great deal (or move)" or B) "He 'made up' for a worse move."

It may not be in his job title, but it is the guy's job to not **** up. He's done it with too much regularity to really have any credibility at all, even with a good move, because they're more anomalous than anything else. Besides...the cap hit on this deal is fantastic. The inherent risk of an 11-year contract isn't.

Edit: Before anyone comes and says "Yeah, but look at the on-ice results," consider this -- if you don't study for a test and expect to do poorly, but end up doing well...you don't say you studied well, do you? The team's success is largely (and somewhat miraculously) in spite of the moves made by our FO.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

I've never had a problem with the roster that he's built. I've had several problems in the past with how he's managed the salary cap and his assets in order to build the roster. The Carter and Giroux contracts I am very pleased with, though.

It's always been my assertion that Homer has an eye for talent and and eye for how guys fit on a roster. I've always given him credit on this front, and my post history can attest to this fact.

People have to understand that most of the bashing some of us give Homer isn't about what kind of team he's putting on the ice. Most of the bashing has to do with the business side of things which, if not handled properly, can lead to a downgrade of what is being put on the ice over the long haul.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:42 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
No. I don't get these threads or posts...every ****ing time Homer doesn't **** the bed people act like we should applaud until our hands fall off because A) "It's a great deal (or move)" or B) "He 'made up' for a worse move."

It may not be in his job title, but it is the guy's job to not **** up. He's done it with too much regularity to really have any credibility at all, even with a good move, because they're more anomalous than anything else. Besides...the cap hit on this deal is fantastic. The inherent risk of an 11-year contract isn't.

Edit: Before anyone comes and says "Yeah, but look at the on-ice results," consider this -- if you don't study for a test and expect to do poorly, but end up doing well...you don't say you studied well, do you? The team's success is largely (and somewhat miraculously) in spite of the moves made by our FO.
I've always loved the "in spite of" argument waged by people who don't make a living in professional sports against people who do work in professional sports.

This team's success is largely because they have one of the most talented rosters in the league. But of course, Homer has nothing to do with such things... oh wait.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I've always loved the "in spite of" argument waged by people who don't make a living in professional sports against people who do work in professional sports.

This team's success is largely because they have one of the most talented rosters in the league. But of course, Homer has nothing to do with such things... oh wait.
I've always loved the argument people make about others being critical of sports management despite not being in it, as if it's the offspring of rocket science and brain surgery.

His asset management has been terrible. Entirely indefensible. That's being extremely kind. We're terribly fortunate to not have it bite us in the ass...yet. (Which is also being extremely kind.) I mean...you or anyone else can (and has) tried to defend it, but it's really a delusional exercise. At this point, I'm genuinely impressed people still aren't willing to even consider it being real.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:00 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I've always loved the argument people make about others being critical of sports management despite not being in it, as if it's the offspring of rocket science and brain surgery.

His asset management has been terrible. Entirely indefensible. That's being extremely kind. We're terribly fortunate to not have it bite us in the ass...yet. (Which is also being extremely kind.) I mean...you or anyone else can (and has) tried to defend it, but it's really a delusional exercise. At this point, I'm genuinely impressed people still aren't willing to even consider it being real.
Really? For such a horrible offseason he put together one of the top forward groups in the league and the best defense.

I don't like all his moves, but ALL GMs make bad moves. Holmgren keeps putting a really good team on the ice. THAT is ALLLLLLL that matters.

It's not going to bite them because he keeps ensuring it won't.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:13 PM
ph

Holmgren is a risk taker so he is going to screw up his fair share of deals and look like a genius at other times. I'd rather have the risk taker than the conservative GM.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:15 PM
chaosof99*

When the summer happened and everybody was losing their heads with rage, I was about the only one withholding my judgment until we played some games. I was pleading most of you guys to do the same. We are now 10-4-2 to start the season. I feel a little vindication. The Giroux and Carter contracts add a bit to that.

Last edited by chaosof99*: 11-13-2010 at 06:31 PM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote