HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

future jersey's retired

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2005, 11:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Thornton to have his number retired? Nabokov? We're talking about numbers being retired. It's like the second best honour a player is given after the hall of fame. What exactly has Thornton done to be in company with Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito or the couple other guys' whos numbers are retired?
I think you're seriously overrating the importance of numbers being retired.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/news/1999/10/15/retired_numbers/

At the time of this page's creation, there were more than 60 retired numbers. Retiring a number doesn't have to be a comparison to the hall of fame. It simply means that an organization recognizes that the player made a significant impact to that franchise, and even then it's not always that clear cut. Stan Smyl was a great player, but he wasn't a superstar of his generation. The Canucks retired his #12, theeir only retired jersey. the Penguins have Michel Briere's name in the rafters next to Mario Lemieux. The #21 of a guy who only played one season in Pittsburgh scoring less than 50 points before he died in a car crash hangs next to the #66 of one of the greatest players EVER.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 05-16-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old
05-15-2005, 11:46 PM
salty justice

In other words, its a lot tougher to get your number retired than to get in the HoF.

Old
05-15-2005, 11:54 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

for the Oilers:
Messier #11
Lowe #4 (as of now, no one on the Oilers wear number, outta respect for KLowe)
maybe Smyth #94 if he stays an Oiler for life

Old
05-15-2005, 11:57 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I wonder if the Wild will retire Sergei Zholtok's jersey...

Old
05-16-2005, 01:00 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
What exactly has Koivu done to be in company with The Rocket Richard and Guy Lafleur ? I can say Thornton chance are equal or better than Koivu if you consired his number at his age vs Koivu at 31 are better ! And everyone know Thornton best years will be in years to come. Koivu ???
You're right he hasnt done much too be in company with the Rocket and Flower and that's why I dont think he will have his jersey retired just like Thornton for Boston.

Old
05-16-2005, 01:06 AM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis

At the time of this page's creation, there were more than 60 retired numbers. Retiring a number doesn't have to be a comparison to the hall of fame. It simply means that an organization recognizes that the player made a significant impact to that franchise, and even then it's not always that clear cut. Stan Smyl was a great player, but he wasn't a superstar of his generation. The Canucks retired his #12, theeir only retired jersey. the Penguins have Michel Briere's name in the rafters next to Mario Lemieux. The #21 of a guy who only played one season in Pittsburgh scoring less than 50 points before he died in a car crash hangs next to the #66 of one of the greatest players EVER.
I dont know if I'm overrating or you're underrating. What I do know is that despite having an incredible talent only 6 players have had their numbers retired by the habs. Guys like Elmer Lach, Yvan Cournoyer, Patrick Roy, Bob Gainey, Larry Robinson, etc. Then I see people saying a playoff choker, a player without any heart who we dont even know will last long with the Bruins deserves to get his jersey number retired. I dont know about how the other teams' fanbase and team work but Montreal would never retire the number of a guy like Thornton.

Old
05-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Phanuthier*

I think the criteria for retiring ones jersey isn't some sort of standard template - I think to retire a jersey, you should be able to strongly relate a player to an organization. They can either be superstars like Gretzky or Beliveau or grinders like Guy Carbananou (if he's ever retired).

When it comes to the Flames, I personally relate Joel Otto to the Flames more then Joe Nieuwendyk, and would retire his number first.

Old
05-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
the Penguins have Michel Briere's name in the rafters next to Mario Lemieux. The #21 of a guy who only played one season in Pittsburgh scoring less than 50 points before he died in a car crash hangs next to the #66 of one of the greatest players EVER.
People who die/are seriously injured with a team almost invariably get their numbers retired. Masterson's number hangs in the Dallas rafters after it was raised by the North Stars because he died. Sentiment plays a huuuuuuge role in retiring numbers, especially right after major incidents.

I'm not sure Zholtok's number will be raised, but I wouldn't be surprised or offended if it was (especially since he died during a game). And same situation wtih Koivu, though he has less of a chance because the Canadiens retire very few numbers (they hadn't raised Dryden, last I knew of).

Old
05-16-2005, 10:11 AM
WC Handy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38
As of right now, no one from the Devils would have their number retired. We haven't retired any numbers yet, and before either Stevens or Brodeur got their number retired they'd have to raise Daneyko's jersey to the rafters first. Last I heard, Lamoriello was against retiring numbers and I can't see that changing in the near future.
Lamoriello doesn't decide whose numbers are retired.

Old
05-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Ronald Pagan

This has probably been mentioned but the Habs have many many more jerseys to retire before Koivu even enters the discussion.

Old
05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
God Bless Canada

Linden's 16 was basically been retired by the team already. From the time he was traded in February of 1998 to the day he was reacquired in November of 2001, nobody wore No. 16. The Canucks knew anyone else who wore the number, besides Trevor, would be booed mercilessly. He's the greatest and most popular player in the history of the franchise, regardless of if a few people have backlashed against him for his leadership role with the PA. Nobody will ever wear 16 in Vancouver again.

Old
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg
#26. No other Av should have their jersey retired before that one.
From the sounds of it Stastny and Goulet aren't grtiing their teeth about it.

Old
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
mr gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
Linden's 16 was basically been retired by the team already. From the time he was traded in February of 1998 to the day he was reacquired in November of 2001, nobody wore No. 16. The Canucks knew anyone else who wore the number, besides Trevor, would be booed mercilessly. He's the greatest and most popular player in the history of the franchise, regardless of if a few people have backlashed against him for his leadership role with the PA. Nobody will ever wear 16 in Vancouver again.
you got that one right - 19 in detroit - 66 in pittsburgh - maybe even 19 and 21 in colorado

Old
05-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo

Atlanta - Heatley and Kovalchuck ?

Edmonton - Messier lock

Florida -Luongo ?

Montreal - Koivu ?

NYI - Dipetro ?

Phoenix - Doan lock

San Jose - Marleau ?

St. Louis - MacInnis, Pronger, Hull lock

Tampa Bay- Lecavalier, Richards
Perhaps we should let these guys do something first before reserving rafter space, no?

And as for Fleury, i dont think that the Flames want to risk any bad PR

Old
05-23-2005, 07:09 PM
tomerez

Quote:

I think you're seriously underrating the scarcity of numbers being retired.

Compare the list of retired numbers to this list of players inducted to the hockey hall of fame:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...sp?type=Player

2-3 players enter the HHoF annually due to it not having a designated limit. On the other hand, there is a limit to the number of retired numbers, 2970 league-wide and 99 obviously per team.

60 retired numbers in the NHL's history works out to less than a retired number every 2 years. That also can be worked out to approximately 1 retired number per team per 60 years. Compare that to 3 inductees per year for the HHoF and it's obvious that it is more scarce to have a number retired, but not necessarily more difficult. Induction to the HHoF requires talent, skill and a great career while to have your number retired requires immediate association to a particular team (IMO), which may be a result of the elements already mentioned, or something sentimental as in the case of Bill Barilko and co.

Old
05-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerez
I think you're seriously underrating the scarcity of numbers being retired.

Compare the list of retired numbers to this list of players inducted to the hockey hall of fame:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...sp?type=Player

2-3 players enter the HHoF annually due to it not having a designated limit. On the other hand, there is a limit to the number of retired numbers, 2970 league-wide and 99 obviously per team.

60 retired numbers in the NHL's history works out to less than a retired number every 2 years. That also can be worked out to approximately 1 retired number per team per 60 years. Compare that to 3 inductees per year for the HHoF and it's obvious that it is more scarce to have a number retired, but not necessarily more difficult. Induction to the HHoF requires talent, skill and a great career while to have your number retired requires immediate association to a particular team (IMO), which may be a result of the elements already mentioned, or something sentimental as in the case of Bill Barilko and co.
Of course 9 franchises have been added in the lifespan of a good NHLer

Old
05-23-2005, 07:22 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMU2
Penguins

Locks: Mario (re-retired)
good chance: Jagr, Francis, Barrasso (if he counts)
doubtful: Coffey, Stevens
The Penguins have the whole jersey retiring thing down pat: they practically never do it. If you retire Francis and Coffey, why not Pronovost or Kehoe or Larouche or Carlyle?

The only jersey the Pens should and probably will retire is 68. I mean, anyone who wears 68 will be run out of town with torches and pitchforks, and they'd deserve it.

Old
05-24-2005, 12:29 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
It was kind of funny the other day when they were talking about players who have played their whole careers for one team, and they were around for 15-20 years or more...there were only two hockey players mentioned...Steve Yzerman and Ken Daneyko (I hope I spelled that right). I would say those two should be a no-brainer when it comes to retiring their numbers. I know without a doubt that Lemieux will be given that honor in Pittsburgh (and if they don't something is seriously wrong).

As far as Zholtok, I think it would be a nice thing to at least honor his memory, but then again, the Wings never retired #16 when Vladdie Konstantinov was hurt...they just asked that no one else wear it. So who knows?

Luc will definitely get his number retired by the Kings...again, if they don't, something is seriously wrong.

Old
05-24-2005, 12:50 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
Perhaps we should let these guys do something first before reserving rafter space, no?

And as for Fleury, i dont think that the Flames want to risk any bad PR
Fleury got a standing applause when he showed up at a game in last season's playoffs in Calgary. I dont think it is completely out of the question. He is only hated by Hawks fans and a fair majority of hockey fans.

Old
05-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Malefic74

There is no way that Ryan Smith's number is retired if the Oilers don't at least look at Coffey and Messier. Hell I'd even look at Anderson before Smyth. Kevin Lowe's will have to wait until he leaves the organisation, but I have no doubt that it will happen.

Any chance the Islanders or Sabres look at Pat Lafontaine?

Old
05-24-2005, 02:08 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I don't want to speak for Devils fans as one of their sworn rivals, but #3 will go up for Ken Daneyko

Old
05-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I know that if you want the habs to retire your number, you are going to face some extremly high standards.

Having said that, does Bob Gainey have any chance?

Larry Robinson should be a lock though. Definitly a top 10 d-man of all time.... maybe top 5

Patrick Roy should be there eventually

I know that Guy Lapointe and Serge Savard would already have their number retired if they played elsewhere but I'm not so sure if they will get their numbers retired in montreal.

Old
05-24-2005, 04:16 PM
davemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
Does anyone think Jagr will ever have his sweater retired by any team even though he is arguably a top 25 all time player? I doubt it mainly because he is not very fan friendly and he has always gone for the money.
I think the Pens will probably end up retiring Jagr's even though they dont have a history of retiring numbers.

Marios goes back up of course but thats it.

Francis wont, Barasso wont, Stevens wont.

Closed Thread