HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter: 11-year Contract Extension, $58M $5.27+ AAV

Old
11-13-2010, 04:07 PM
i am dave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You'd assume... but it's debatable how much of that insurers will insure. No idea how that works for hockey. I know in baseball insurance is tough to get past 3 years (particularly for pitchers).

However, I don't even really care about the insurance... cuz the real issue is if he has a debilitating injury, but still plays. Unless the Flyers start paying me, I don't really care what is going out of their wallet... just how it affects the roster.
Quite frankly, I have to believe Comcast's operating budget for the Flyers is so high that they can eat that entire deal even if it's not insured.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Surprising how evenly distributed the actual salary is from year to year.
Eh, no reason to mess with it if you expect him to play it out.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Quite frankly, I have to believe Comcast's operating budget for the Flyers is so high that they can eat that entire deal even if it's not insured.
Yeah, can't imagine they'd sweat it... however, it would be a slight drag, I'd imagine. You have the whole sunken cost thing. Playoff revenue is so much for the team, that it's really against their interest to leave a good player out of the mix because their actual expenditure is over the cap a bit (in the event Carter or someone else were forced into retirement).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Is it really fair to say he won't lose his wrist shot?
A player's shot is usually the last thing to go. See: just about any old player in the league.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:31 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Better cap hit than I was expecting.

The jury's still out on these ridiculously long contracts, but I'm happy to see Carter in the O&B during his prime.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
How does the same guy that keeps some contracts so reasonable (Carter, Giroux) also **** up the easy contracts (thugs, backup goalies)?

It makes zero ****ing sense. It's like the shortstop that makes all the hard plays and has the easy ones trickle through his legs.
Perfect analogy!!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:03 PM
JojoTheWhale

That's really just a fantastic deal. Now finish up Leino's contract at a decent price and you don't even have to move Carle.

With most of the core locked up long-term at significant, but fair cap hits, it's going to become vital that some cheaper guys keep developing into NHL players. You need guys like Wellwood, Nodl, Gustafsson, Lehtivuori, etc. to develop to keep the depth you need for the organizational model to work.

JojoTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Well.........time to buy a Carter jersey, I guess.

hahaha

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:22 PM
tsquad

With the majority of our key players locked in for the next few years (Carter, Richie, Giroux, Briere, Hartnell, Pronger, Timonen, Meszaros, Coburn, Bob, hopefully soon Leino and of course Shelley ), the Flyers have put themselves in a pretty good position. Hopefully we can hang onto our draft picks during these years and restock the pool and maintain this roster.

tsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:40 PM
MsWoof

Isn't it funny how the Philly media dropped the ball badly twice this week? First one of the guys shoots down the news of the Giroux extension by Garrioch and a few hours later it happens. Last night, Panotch says a 10 year deal with a cap hit of $6.1-$6.3 million is expected for Carter by month's end. Today Bob McKenzie breaks the story that it's 11 years and a cap hit that's a million less. How do they explain it? Are the Flyers feeding incorrect information to them?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Isn't it funny how the Philly media dropped the ball badly twice this week? First one of the guys shoots down the news of the Giroux extension by Garrioch and a few hours later it happens. Last night, Panotch says a 10 year deal with a cap hit of $6.1-$6.3 million is expected for Carter by month's end. Today Bob McKenzie breaks the story that it's 11 years and a cap hit that's a million less. How do they explain it? Are the Flyers feeding incorrect information to them?
It's simple: They're terribly, terribly incompetent. That's really it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Black Ice

Very good news, I'm glad to hear this!

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM
reddog737

great deal, hopefully there is some 50 goal seasons in his future

reddog737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:59 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Woot woot. Only 5.27!

Thats ideal

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:18 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

11 effin years....are you kidding me!

This looks all great now but that long term commitment is absurd and I def don't like the NMC's....

I'm not impressed with this signing but time will tell.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:28 PM
chaosof99*

I love the Cap hit, but I'm not necessarily a fan of the length. It is a very good signing nonetheless.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2363
The press conference transcript (it has been posted in the first post, too).

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...ter-extension/

Quote:
Media Availability with Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren

Jeff Carter Contract Extension, 11/13/10

“I’m sure as everyone knows by now, we have reached an agreement with Jeff Carter on a long-term contract. We’re happy to have Jeff signed for the foreseeable future. He’s an integral part of the core of our hockey team. This took a little bit of time to get done, but we’re happy to have it done.”

Q: Paul, does he have a no-trade [clause] at all in this contract, and when does it kick-in?

“It’s a limited no-trade. There’s a brief time that we can’t trade him. Obviously, that’s not an issue right now. We’re happy to have this done. Jeff is a part of the future of the Flyers.”

Q: You’ve got to be pretty happy – you’ve got your four-top centermen [Mike Richards, Danny Briere, Claude Giroux, Carter] locked long term, just like Pittsburgh does. Was that one of the considerations, when you looked around the league, teams that you’re going to be matched-up against each year, in terms of how they’ve handled their centers?

“To be honest with you, we didn’t really think much about other teams. The guys you’re talking about are good hockey players on our team and it’s important to have them locked up for the success of our team. Mr. [Ed] Snider is committed to having a good team here with the Flyers and getting Jeff done today and Claude done a few days ago are two big signings for us.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:55 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Hooray for 11 years of inconsistent play.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Awesome contract. Homer's been doing really well with locking up the important guys. Hopefully Leino gets a 2-3 year contract next.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 07:53 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Last night, Panotch says a 10 year deal with a cap hit of $6.1-$6.3 million is expected for Carter by month's end. Today Bob McKenzie breaks the story that it's 11 years and a cap hit that's a million less. How do they explain it? Are the Flyers feeding incorrect information to them?
Phew, tough crowd. He's reporting a rumor, did you expect Timmay to have exact dollar figures? He was pretty close, not sure what more you want. Maybe not report anything at all?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Phew, tough crowd. He's reporting a rumor, did you expect Timmay to have exact dollar figures? He was pretty close, not sure what more you want. Maybe not report anything at all?
Well...it's not like he works for Comcast or anything.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 08:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

What a great contract!!! Honestly, I think this deal was better than what most were expecting. Finally, the best goal scorer this franchise has drafted and developed since Brian Propp remains on the team. How anyone can hate this is beyond me. This is the second great move Holmgren has made this week to make up for an inconsistent to bad summer.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 08:18 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
If he's that far off, yeah, why bother reporting it? Those are two pretty big screw ups by the Philly media so something is not right.

Old
11-13-2010, 08:21 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What a great contract!!! Honestly, I think this deal was better than what most were expecting. Finally, the best goal scorer this franchise has drafted and developed since Brian Propp remains on the team. How anyone can hate this is beyond me. This is the second great move Holmgren has made this week to make up for an inconsistent to bad summer.
I don't think anyone expected a cap hit lower than what Richards is getting. It's amazing.

Old
11-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Garbage Goal

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post28928931

Some laughable comments in there. Particularly this one:

Quote:
I don't think the Flyers got that much of a bargain with this deal, though. Usually, when a guy gets signed to a contract that long, it's at a discount. I think Carter is a 5M/year guy, at best. The fact that he is now signed to a contract greater than that for 11 years is crazy to me.

The Flyers didn't get a break on the cap-hit here at all, IMO.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote