HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Say bye to Byers. Rangers acquire Chad Kolarik

Old
11-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Jxmarts

vCash: 500
Hartford's 4-9-2... and nobody's really doing particularly well down there. Byers might get a shot with Columbus, which he was not getting here, so good luck to him.

The Rangers probably acquired Kolarik to help fill the scoring void left by Corey Locke & PA Parenteau. Although he's considered an offensive player, his AHL scoring numbers have not been as good as Locke's or Parenteau's thus far in his career.

First things first... Before we project where he fits in with the big club, let's see if he can help the Pack/Whale.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:10 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Both players will be group 6 UFA's this summer. A player 25 or older who has played at least 3 pro seasons and hasn't played 80 NHL games is a group 6 when the contract expires.

Gordie Clark mentioned the lack of a center in Hartford when discussing Evgeny Grachev's struggles in Hartford. Chad Kolarik is a center. Can he get Grachev the puck? Artem Anisimov had PA Parenteau as his wing man in Hartford.

Quote:
Clark admits in hindsight they should have kept Grachev in junior for one more season – especially after the AHL team lacked a sufficient center for him to play his first pro year with – but the big man is learning his craft playing important minutes in Hartford.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ckout-NHL.html

Is/Was that center on the roster before the trade?

According to Bruce Berlet more moves are coming

Quote:
Do not be remotely surprised if this is not the only move the team makes to shake things up here.
http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/...-byers-traded/

How about the coach? The Flyers fired Greg Gilbert this week and John Paddock is taking over as coach. Paddock was an assistant to Paul Holmgren before going back into coaching.

Ken Gernander is treated like he's Scotty Bowman. You should have read the sickening love fest for Gernander on twitter after the trade was announced. It's the fault of upper management. It's not the fault of the Minnesota boy Gerander. My memory of Gernander as a Ranger is getting concussed by his brother in law Trent Klatt in the 1997 ECF at center ice. You heard a big thud and Gernander crumpled down to the ice like a sack of potatoes falling off a truck.

We are not talking about Adam Graves or Mark Messier here and the organization does not want to fire one of their legends. It's Ken Gernander. It's his 4th year as coach.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Both players will be group 6 UFA's this summer. A player 25 or older who has played at least 3 pro seasons and hasn't played 80 NHL games is a group 6 when the contract expires.

Gordie Clark mentioned the lack of a center in Hartford when discussing Evgeny Grachev's struggles in Hartford. Chad Kolarik is a center. Can he get Grachev the puck? Artem Anisimov had PA Parenteau as his wing man in Hartford.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ckout-NHL.html

Is/Was that center on the roster before the trade?

According to Bruce Berlet more moves are coming

http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/...-byers-traded/

How about the coach? The Flyers fired Greg Gilbert this week and John Paddock is taking over as coach. Paddock was an assistant to Paul Holmgren before going back into coaching.

Ken Gernander is treated like he's Scotty Bowman. You should have read the sickening love fest for Gernander on twitter after the trade was announced. It's the fault of upper management. It's not the fault of the Minnesota boy Gerander. My memory of Gernander as a Ranger is getting concussed by his brother in law Trent Klatt in the 1997 ECF at center ice. You heard a big thud and Gernander crumpled down to the ice like a sack of potatoes falling off a truck.

We are not talking about Adam Graves or Mark Messier here and the organization does not want to fire one of their legends. It's Ken Gernander. It's his 4th year as coach.
I agree...Gernander is hurting the development of several players...Pack never miss the playoffs until this bum is running the team and he gets to keep his job...no accountabiltiy in this organization...from top to bottom...

How about we look for the most talented leaders, like getting Clark from outside the organization, instead of doing with what is easy...

If I was the owner...I would always be on the look out for the best teachers, evaluators of talent in every league. The OHL, WHL, Europe...instead we go with what is easy...oh, this guy was a career minor leaguer...lets make him coach...working out really well.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:53 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Kolarik is RW. Even in AHL 5'11" , 175 lbs won't cut for C. Prucha size skater. He is smaller than MZA.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:57 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Kolarik is RW. Even in AHL 5'11" , 175 lbs won't cut for C. Prucha size skater. He is smaller than MZA.
Kolarik is playing center in the A.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Kolarik.... Great name, reminds me of two players I loathed (Kotalik + Kalinin)
Add Malik to the list.
I wish we got Frolik instead

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Meh.

Thanks for the service Byers, good luck.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Never liked the pick. He was hurt player with a family history of career ending injuries. Never hated his game as much as I thought we picked the wrong LW at that spot. David Booth was the next LW taken after Byers.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
JimmyStart*

Hope this new guy can help offensively. Too many suppossedly offensive talents in AHL not producing points right now.

Byers could play 3rd or 4th i'm sure but we have better players than him in those spots and Boog (notice how I separated Boog rom better players haha).

Picked up Feds, kennedy, White, Boog and MZA all this off season that was a lot of competition and veteran NHL competition to put in front of the guy I'd have been shocked if he made the team this year.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:56 AM
squishy

During his pre-game interview tonight Wolf Pack assistant coach J.J. Daigneault said that Byers requested a trade.

One would have to think that he made his request when Grachev was called up to play on the 4th line in NY. That was a spot perfectly suited for Byers, but instead a guy who was neither ready for it nor deserving, based on his play in Hartford, got it. They couldn't really have sent a clearer message to Byers that he was never going to be a Ranger.

His first game for Springfield was against the Wolf Pack tonight. His 3rd period shot was tipped in to tie it for the Falcons late in the period, and then he scored the winner in the shootout. I couldn't help but smile.

Best of luck, Dane.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:42 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Some moron sitting behind me tonight kept chanting "FIRE SATHER" in relation to him granting Byers' trade request. Insufferable people.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Vitto79

hey whatever we all know Byers would of not been called up, They see Weise as the etter 4th line fit when healthy.........so with that good luck to Dane and I hope he gets a chance. This Kolarik dude will be just as good in the AHL

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Hartfords gonna need a new captain now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Gritty Veteran Wade Redden at your service.

Captain Failure?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:05 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

dang, for a second I thought we got Tomas Kubalik.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:00 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Some moron sitting behind me tonight kept chanting "FIRE SATHER" in relation to him granting Byers' trade request. Insufferable people.

Reality wise you should have high fived him honestly., Sather has sucked FA wise. If there was no Gordie Clark the Rangers would be the worst team in the NHL.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
During his pre-game interview tonight Wolf Pack assistant coach J.J. Daigneault said that Byers requested a trade.

One would have to think that he made his request when Grachev was called up to play on the 4th line in NY. That was a spot perfectly suited for Byers, but instead a guy who was neither ready for it nor deserving, based on his play in Hartford, got it. They couldn't really have sent a clearer message to Byers that he was never going to be a Ranger.

His first game for Springfield was against the Wolf Pack tonight. His 3rd period shot was tipped in to tie it for the Falcons late in the period, and then he scored the winner in the shootout. I couldn't help but smile.

Best of luck, Dane.
Somewhat mixed feelings myself. I agree that Byers wasn't in the Rangers plans at this point and he doesn't bring anything to the table that they didn't already have in NY. I don't think bringing Grachev up was about rewarding a player as much as it was trying to figure out what's going on with him and maybe give him some coaching.

I guess I'm saying that I think it was a situation where the Rangers didn't have to call anyone up so it wasn't as much of a "we need a callup to fill a particular role and maybe they'll have a chance to make the roster!" as much as it was "we need to take a look at this specific player for one reason or another"

So I think I have a different feeling on it than you do...I'd guess you seem to feel like he was treated poorly or that the Rangers ****ed up in not getting him to the NHL?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Blueblood 2

So we traded a Dane for a Chad, duh. Let me know when we get a Maximus!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:11 AM
IAMREALITY

Byers is a stand up guy but Kolarik is the better of the two hands down.

Byers also at this point had little to no shot of ever making our team, wheras if Kolarik grows and makes himself noticed he could possibly find himself with an opportunity. He's a point a game player over his career no?

Last edited by IAMREALITY: 11-15-2010 at 10:19 AM.
IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:16 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

So, going into the 2004 draft, the Rangers had seven picks in the first two rounds...they drafted Montoya, Korpikoski (which cost them and additional 2nd), Olver, Byers, Graham and Dubinsky. Only Dubinsky is with the team, while only Montoya and Korpikoski brought back an NHL player. The last pick of the 2nd round turns out to save the day, (along with Callahan, a 4th rounder)...what a disaster...the drafts of 2003-4 could have really set the Rangers up for a long time...instead the process got delayed a few years.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Byers is a stand up guy but Kolarik is the better of the two hands down.

Byers also at this point had little to no shot of ever making our team, wheras if Kolarik grows and makes himself noticed he could possibly find himself with an opportunity. He's a point a game player over his career no?
Kolarik in the AHL: .67 ppg
Byers in the AHL: .64 ppg

They're both 24 going on 25 (Kolarik is actually a month older).

Kolarik's generously listed at 5'11" 175lb. At least Byers has the size to play in the bottom six.

Kolarik's already on his third pro team.

Neither one had or has a shot at making the Rangers.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote