HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov Injury talk (Speculation/Rumour: Maybe out up to 3 months)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Habs 1909

vCash: 500
It was one of those plays where Staal tried to go from right to left while going into the corner to throw Markov off.

I wouldn't say it was intentional.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:21 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Are you sure?

Why would Martin say that "Markov will be re-evaluated in the next few days and we'll have more information then."

There is very likely an initial evaluation done, as best as possible, close to the injury happening.

I know we're all trying to tell ourselves its not true, but there is a very high chance that the injury is serious (especially on his previously injured knee) and we're going to need to look at solutions.

Thankfully, we've got Picard in reserve who looked good this year and we were still winning then.
Have you heard ANY factual, medical information from anyone on the Canadiens? You bolded the key words yourself in "re-evaluated" which I would take as not having a full assessment right now. Especially when talking about knees, you have to have an MRI AFTER the swelling subsided before being able to see any damage. It's not medically possible to have a full and accurate assesment so soon after an injury. I'm not saying he's not injured, just that any time frame for recovery is definately premature.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I can't believe there are people who want to let him go via free agency. He's easily the closest thing to a elite player we have (hopefully Subban gets there). Even with the injuries we'll never sign a D that will be able to replace him. He's 31 not 35+. He's still got many years left. I mean, even if there was a D of his caliber on the market, he'd have to want to play here and his cap hit would be much higher due to demand. Think about it, the best UFA D we've lured in years is Hamrlik and we had to overpay him him a lot. I'll never see the rationale behind this 'get rid of him' movement.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:24 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

People want to get rid of him? Hmm.. Ok.

If anything this could bring down his salary demands, if we want to look at the positive side.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:26 AM
NHLcrazy

Man...If what RDS is reporting and he's out 3 months that would suck big time...

Subban is the only guy who can play the PP. Spacek and Hammer are not the solution. at all.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:38 AM

While losing Markov for any length of time is a huge blow to the Habs...this is a different Habs team than in years past, they've gotten used to playing without Markov and they're not as dependent on him anymore.

They're a team that knows their system in and out (which is a hallmark of JM coached teams) and they're no longer inept at even strength, i'm not as concerned anymore as I would of been in the past.

That being said, I hope Markov isn't too seriously injured...

and again, i've gotta deplore the lack of class by so called Habs fans in this thread again...terrible

Old
11-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

For some reason, i'm frustrating at Markov... I'm ****ing tired to see him go down with injuries. We better not sign him, if so, it must be short term.

He's de new Benoit Brunet.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:41 AM
JayBee*

I keep rewatching the clip and wondering how he could have gotten hurt...his knee wasn't touched....it didn't buckle or anything. I'm wondering if it's a new injury.

The one positive is he was able to put a bit of weight on it. Markov is not injury prone so kill all that noise.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:44 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Thats why I thought signing him right now was a bad idea.. You cant blame someone for bad fortune but under a cap era, you have to take the good decisions, no room for mistakes.. So maybe we will resign Markov this summer, probably for about the same money, but I cant see Gauthier going for any more than 2 years.. more than that would be bad management IMO.
Think about it from a team perspective and cap perspective though. I'd still sign him to a long term deal. Who cares if he is injury prone? If he suffers a career ending injury and has 5 years left on his contract, there is NO CAP HIT because he would be on the LTIR.

Signing him to a long term deal now is the best play. Buy low, sell high. Markov is injured, it would be in the teams' best interest to sign him right now, while he is hurt. Why, because he's vulnerable, worried about his future, I'm sure a 8 yr, $32m contract is looking really good right now. Thats a $4m cap hit, which is $2m less than what he could have gotten a weak ago.

Its unfortunate what has happened, but you have to make the most of the situation. Success is about managing assets these days. They talked about it last night on CBC in the second intermission how teams like Philly are getting players to buy into the we are a successful team concept and taking less money.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
For some reason, i'm frustrating at Markov... I'm ****ing tired to see him go down with injuries. We better not sign him, if so, it must be short term.

Unbelievable...so if it's reported tomorrow morning that it's just a mild sprain and he'll be back in 2 weeks, will you want the Habs to sign him again?

Ridiculous...our best player is injured, we don't know the extent of his injury and the best thing you can think of saying is that IF he's out long term, we 'better not sign him'???

I used to think the Habs had the best fanbase in hockey...now i'm mainly ashamed of them

Old
11-14-2010, 09:50 AM
JayBee*

Quote:

OK, so he's never really gotten injured until he hit 30 (something you completely disregard). He gets his foot sliced by Price in a freak accident. He's torn his knee...then tore it again after probably rushing back. Now this injury..we have no idea what the injury is and to what extent. He's had a rash of injuries lately..to call him injury prone is nonsense.

It is frustrating, no doubt. But I wonder if he was ever completely healed in the first place.

The great thing is no longer is it a death sentence when Markov is injured. The team knows how to play without him and they have depth on the back end. We should see Weber called up.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Unbelievable...so if it's reported tomorrow morning that it's just a mild sprain and he'll be back in 2 weeks, will you want the Habs to sign him again?

Ridiculous...our best player is injured, we don't know the extent of his injury and the best thing you can think of saying is that IF he's out long term, we 'better not sign him'???

I used to think the Habs had the best fanbase in hockey...now i'm mainly ashamed of them
Eh, scuse me, but since his last injurie in the playoffs, i kept saying in here that i'm hope we don't sign Markov longterm 'cause he's now Injury Prone. He's made of glass. It's unfortunately because i like Markov, but it's the way it is.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Bullsmith

It's a huge huge loss. From a better angle I don't think it was intentional but man he got clipped very hard right in the side of his knee. From his reaction he's done for a long time.

And just as the PP was starting to click.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
OK, so he's never really gotten injured until he hit 30 (something you completely disregard). He gets his foot sliced by Price in a freak accident. He's torn his knee...then tore it again after probably rushing back. Now this injury..we have no idea what the injury is and to what extent. He's had a rash of injuries lately..to call him injury prone is nonsense.

It is frustrating, no doubt. But I wonder if he was ever completely healed in the first place.

The great thing is no longer is it a death sentence when Markov is injured. The team knows how to play without him and they have depth on the back end. We should see Weber called up.
I wonder the same thing...because looking at the replay, I don't see where the knee buckled or anything, if this ends up being a tear, i wonder if it means he wasn't fully healed in the first place

Old
11-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Jigger77

It always seems to happen when things are going so well too.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Eh, scuse me, but since his last injurie in the playoffs, i kept saying in here that i'm hope we don't sign Markov longterm 'cause he's now Injury Prone. He's made of glass. It's unfortunately because i like Markov, but it's the way it is.
i don't care...doens't change my opinion. You're the type of Habs fans that's turned this fanbase into a joke.

our best player's health status is in limbo and the only thing you can come up with is talk about his contract status for next year?

Weak and that goes to you and anyone else who shares your opinion

Old
11-14-2010, 10:00 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Injury Prone, freak accidents, bad luck whatever, he is still our best player...it may effect the length of his next contract, but he will still get some serious coin from the Habs!

Old
11-14-2010, 10:09 AM
habshound247

I am not a doctor, but from watching NFL games, typically a "re-evaluation" involves waiting for swelling to subside before a thorough exam can be performed, and any damage determined. HOPEFULLY this is just a sprain or charleyhorse...hopefully. As for contract negotiations, I said in the spring before the playoffs started, if they couldn't re-sign him before the trade deadline, they would have to consider moving him. However after the way he played in the playoffs, plus becoming a Canadian citizen this summer, there is ZERO chance the Habs let him go. The optics to the fan base and potential free agents would be horrendous.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:13 AM
JayBee*

I'd be pissed if they didn't do what it took to get Markov signed. I don't care about the injuries, you sign him. Might not be a big lucrative contract but he's a game breaker.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
i don't care...doens't change my opinion. You're the type of Habs fans that's turned this fanbase into a joke.
our best player's health status is in limbo and the only thing you can come up with is talk about his contract status for next year?

Thanks alot! Coming from you must be the truth! You're so a model Habs fan. Every body shoud use you as a role model!

Old
11-14-2010, 10:18 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I don't think if someone doesn't want a player to return makes him any less of a fan. We are all entitled to like whomever we want as players/coaching staff/management.. We are not going to all have the same opinion on things.

For the record I want Markov re-signed.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:20 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:

Congratulations on actually understanding what the poster was talking about. Some still don't know how important Markov is, and how well Spacek and Hammer are playing now since Markov is back, and our power play started to produce.
Hope Andrei is back soon!!!!

Old
11-14-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks alot! Coming from you must be the truth! You're so a model Habs fan. Every body shoud use you as a role model!

Don't need to use me as a role model...just think more respect should be shown towards our best player after suffering another injury. I don't think the timing is appropriate to discuss his contract status at this point.

If there's one thing this fanbase can learn from the Montreal Canadiens organization, it's class.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:22 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:

actually that shoudn't be such a bad idea, he is one of the classiest poster!!!

Old
11-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
I don't think if someone doesn't want a player to return makes him any less of a fan. We are all entitled to like whomever we want as players/coaching staff/management.. We are not going to all have the same opinion on things.

For the record I want Markov re-signed.
I think it does if they don't want him to return based on an injury NO ONE knows the extent of.

So what if we find out Markov just has a deep bruise and is back in 10 days and he goes on to win the Norris this year? What? Now everyoen will go back to wanting him re-signed?

That kind of fickleness is exactly what makes one, less of a fan.

Closed Thread