HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miro Satan?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2010, 04:41 PM
  #26
JWells16
Registered User
 
JWells16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
No actually he wasn't....he scored a couple goals...but was a lazy piece of crap
Hence why I said decent. He would certainly be an upgrade over Comrie

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:44 PM
  #27
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Hence why I said decent. He would certainly be an upgrade over Comrie
I only got to see 1 pre-season game, but I don't understand how Comrie could seem to be so effective in those games, yet look like a turd as soon as the regular season started.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:54 PM
  #28
JWells16
Registered User
 
JWells16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
I only got to see 1 pre-season game, but I don't understand how Comrie could seem to be so effective in those games, yet look like a turd as soon as the regular season started.
I think it has a lot to do with the opportunity, or lack thereof, he has been given in the regular season.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:59 PM
  #29
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kennedy View Post
If a 500k signing that would replace Comrie makes you want to fire one of the best GM's in the business you need to rethink your approach.
I don't consider Shero one of the best in the business, yes he has done some good signings/trades, but lets not confuse him with being the sole reason this teams where they are. The teams been in a decline since he got here on balance.

I would label Shero at 500 or just above average within terms of how the team has been managed. He has just as many failure signings as good ones. I don't wanna here Crosby an the lot, a monkey could get them under contract.

Sid: I want 8.7 over 5 years.

Monkey:
Done.....

Malkin: repeat, so on, an so on.

He had the benefit of having a pretty well off team to take over.

If he makes it that long, we'll see what he does when these guy's are all gone.

Best in the business, not by a country mile. Just above average, and that's, OK, for now.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:02 PM
  #30
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kennedy View Post
If a 500k signing that would replace Comrie makes you want to fire one of the best GM's in the business you need to rethink your approach.
Yes. I was 100% serious.

Honestly though - this guy was benched by the same coach of the team. He was also a 4th liner through the playoffs. What the hell would he even want to come for?

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:02 PM
  #31
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
As long as Bylsma is our coach, this makes no sense. We either need to get someone who is good enough that the coach would be risking his own job to platoon him on the 3rd or 4th line, or skip it.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:08 PM
  #32
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,713
vCash: 500
It's a misconception that Satan was that good for Boston.

Regular season + playoffs PIT: 0.51 points per game
Regular season + playoffs BOS: 0.47 points per game

I see no reason to repeat that experiment. We need some definite help now not some retread who'll hopefully score come playoff time.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:15 PM
  #33
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Am I the only penguins fan who thinks Miro was given one of the most unjustified hard times for his time as a penguin of any player ever?!

At times the dolt coaches were putting him on the 3rd & 4th lines, and he simply isn't that type of player, I really thought he was exactly what he was going to be here a softer goal scorer who has the ability to streak in the goal department.

Anyone who thought he was going to be a big bruising PF was simply an idiot or has never seen Satan play. He also did score some nice goals in the playoff of the cup run too when he got in there.

I thought the B's did an amazing job of signing him on the cheap and got a hell of a lot of production out of him for a prorated 700K or whatever it was.

I would glady take him if it meant it kept guys like Rupps ice time and ESPECIALLY pp time down or non-exhistant.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:18 PM
  #34
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,449
vCash: 500
You don't get it: Byslma doesn't like over-the-hill goal scorers who he perceives as soft. Sykora, Satan, Comrie... they all go the same route here under Bylsma. Benched, 4th lined, etc. Those kind of guys are useless here. The only reason Billy got any love is because he had a gritty edge to his game and he was old school. There are no one-dimensional Euros out there on the cheap end of the scale that Bylsma would give the time of day to AFA big 1st or 2nd line minutes.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:24 PM
  #35
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,447
vCash: 500
Satan was played on the 3rd/4th line because he sucked on the 1st/2nd line. He was given plenty of opportunities to make it work with Crosby or Malkin and he didn't. He also got plenty of PP time early on that year, which he didn't do much with either. He and Comrie both deserve all the criticism they get.

Satan was okay for Boston. Just because he scored a few goals isn't everything. He was still a liability in a lot of areas and I saw a number of games where Claude Julien was afraid to put him on the ice because of that.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:24 PM
  #36
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,530
vCash: 500
I have no problem with Satan on this team if the money is right. He's got actual top-6 talent still, even if he's not the most Hellish () competitor in the world. People have a skewed view of Satan's performance here because they had a bad taste in their mouth over the whole Hossa situation. They wanted him to be Hossa's replacement, either consciously or subconsciously, and he just isn't the same kind of player. He will score you goals and make nice plays, but he's not a grind in the corners, crazy speed through the neutral zone, determined back-checking type of guy.

In short: If he comes cheap, I would welcome him back with open arms.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:28 PM
  #37
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
I have no problem with Satan on this team if the money is right. He's got actual top-6 talent still, even if he's not the most Hellish () competitor in the world. People have a skewed view of Satan's performance here because they had a bad taste in their mouth over the whole Hossa situation. They wanted him to be Hossa's replacement, either consciously or subconsciously, and he just isn't the same kind of player. He will score you goals and make nice plays, but he's not a grind in the corners, crazy speed through the neutral zone, determined back-checking type of guy.

In short: If he comes cheap, I would welcome him back with open arms.
BINGO

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:30 PM
  #38
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessedcreative View Post
Am I the only penguins fan who thinks Miro was given one of the most unjustified hard times for his time as a penguin of any player ever?!

At times the dolt coaches were putting him on the 3rd & 4th lines, and he simply isn't that type of player, I really thought he was exactly what he was going to be here a softer goal scorer who has the ability to streak in the goal department.

Anyone who thought he was going to be a big bruising PF was simply an idiot or has never seen Satan play. He also did score some nice goals in the playoff of the cup run too when he got in there.

I thought the B's did an amazing job of signing him on the cheap and got a hell of a lot of production out of him for a prorated 700K or whatever it was.

I would glady take him if it meant it kept guys like Rupps ice time and ESPECIALLY pp time down or non-exhistant.
Would you want to give him 3.5 to find out again? He was paid to produce, and fell short on many occasions that saw him being shuffled all throughout the line up.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:33 PM
  #39
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,284
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
You don't get it: Byslma doesn't like over-the-hill goal scorers who he perceives as soft. Sykora, Satan, Comrie... they all go the same route here under Bylsma. Benched, 4th lined, etc. Those kind of guys are useless here. The only reason Billy got any love is because he had a gritty edge to his game and he was old school. There are no one-dimensional Euros out there on the cheap end of the scale that Bylsma would give the time of day to AFA big 1st or 2nd line minutes.
To be honest, this is one of my issues with Bylsma.

As useless as Comrie has been this season, I still don't want to write him off until he's given a *regular* shift with Crosby. Only then, if that doesn't pan out, would I be glad to be rid of him. But for whatever reason, Bylsma doesn't want to try it for more than maybe 1 or 2 shifts a game.

Of course Comrie's going to be terrible when he's played in a checking role, or given 10 minutes or less a night beside grinders. Considering the mixing and matching Bylsma likes to do, would it really hurt that much to, say, play Comrie on Crosby's wing for a two or three game stretch? It would then allow them to move Dupuis to the LW, and move Kunitz down so Malkin has a solid winger to play with.

I dunno. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. But I just don't like the fact that a guy with decent talent (but obvious flaws, otherwise he wouldn't sign at the league minimum) would sign here for cheap, only to be misused. Even if Comrie's a waste of a uniform for this team, it might send a bad message to any other skilled guys who would otherwise take a discount to play with Sid. Why would they, if when they do get here they get relegated to 4th line while grinders play alongside Sid?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
  #40
crosby is the sauce
Registered User
 
crosby is the sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I'd give Jeffrey or Sterling a shot before I signed Satan.
yeah i rather give our prospects some more experience in the nhl than bringing satan back

crosby is the sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:57 PM
  #41
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Would you want to give him 3.5 to find out again? He was paid to produce, and fell short on many occasions that saw him being shuffled all throughout the line up.
Who the hell said he would be making anywhere NEAR 3.5 again!? All of our talk ( miro supports ) were prefacing that he would be CHEAP 500k-700k.

And when he was signed to that 3.5 cap hit it was for ONE year and at that point in time a lot of the core guys raises' haven't kicked in and the cap wasn't much of an issue as it is now, and like it or not he helped this team win a cup.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
  #42
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I was watching the Oilers-Rangers game on Sportsnet and they said Miro Satan has 3 offers on the table right now and is in the process of deliberation.

They mentioned the Penguins as one team that might have interest, but this may have been pure speculation as opposed to being based on any legitimate info.
SportsNet mentioned it yesterday too, but they didn't have any insight. They just said, "the Penguins need wingers, so...".

This CANNOT happen, imo. For one thing, Bylsma won't play Satan. Secondly, we've been there and done that. He's not a guy who left for money or opportunity. He left because he bottomed out. Yeah, he had a nice bounce-back in Boston last season, but the Bruins don't play the same style at all. They're more passive, which is what Satan needs at this point.

I heard he could be headed back to the Sabres, actually.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:15 PM
  #43
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessedcreative View Post
Who the hell said he would be making anywhere NEAR 3.5 again!? All of our talk ( miro supports ) were prefacing that he would be CHEAP 500k-700k.

And when he was signed to that 3.5 cap hit it was for ONE year and at that point in time a lot of the core guys raises' haven't kicked in and the cap wasn't much of an issue as it is now, and like it or not he helped this team win a cup.
Exactly.

Different time, different situation. 3.5 million?, come on......... that's just crazy talk.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:18 PM
  #44
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
It's a misconception that Satan was that good for Boston.

Regular season + playoffs PIT: 0.51 points per game
Regular season + playoffs BOS: 0.47 points per game

I see no reason to repeat that experiment. We need some definite help now not some retread who'll hopefully score come playoff time.
It was more so that he scored goals at key times for Boston

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
  #45
TopShelfGoal
Registered User
 
TopShelfGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sayre, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
I have mixed feelings about this. I didn't mind Satan. Yea, his work ethic wasn't exactly Pittsburgh style but we need something. Not sure if he'd fit into the pens power play or not but it can't really hurt. It's crazy to me that Satan actually scored 40 goals once.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:26 PM
  #46
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Satan was played on the 3rd/4th line because he sucked on the 1st/2nd line. He was given plenty of opportunities to make it work with Crosby or Malkin and he didn't. He also got plenty of PP time early on that year, which he didn't do much with either. He and Comrie both deserve all the criticism they get.

Satan was okay for Boston. Just because he scored a few goals isn't everything. He was still a liability in a lot of areas and I saw a number of games where Claude Julien was afraid to put him on the ice because of that.
Exactly man. I think people are just that desperate for a top 6 winger and they are using selective memory. Satan was that bad. An improvement on Comrie? Maybe, but so what. Chris Conner has been an improvement on Comrie.

I'll say it again, bring up somebody like Jeffrey, Johnson or Sterling before you bring in another washed up vet.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:37 PM
  #47
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
There should be no discussion. Satan blows. He doesn't fit our team at all.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
  #48
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Exactly man. I think people are just that desperate for a top 6 winger and they are using selective memory. Satan was that bad. An improvement on Comrie? Maybe, but so what. Chris Conner has been an improvement on Comrie.

I'll say it again, bring up somebody like Jeffrey, Johnson or Sterling before you bring in another washed up vet.
It was actually Therrien that gave up on the guy way before Bylsma took over. Nobody remembers the Satan-Staal-Sykora line?

Satan was perfect as what he was: a good fourth liner to have as long as Malkin and Crosby were taking turns double shifting with him and Adams.

All that being said, I would have rather had him as our Comrie signing rather than Comrie.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:13 PM
  #49
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,042
vCash: 500
I don't think it'd reflect too well on Shero if our only mid-season solutions to the top-six winger issues are A) resurrect Satan or B) do nothing.

There HAS to be someone else available, someone who hasn't played here before. Someone who CAN be a good fit here.

I would want a guy that Bylsma would say, "yeah, he's a guy worth trying to fit into our system...even if it means tweaking it a little."

With guys like Comrie and Satan, they just get buried on Line 4. We need somebody better than that.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:46 PM
  #50
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
To be honest, this is one of my issues with Bylsma.

As useless as Comrie has been this season, I still don't want to write him off until he's given a *regular* shift with Crosby. Only then, if that doesn't pan out, would I be glad to be rid of him. But for whatever reason, Bylsma doesn't want to try it for more than maybe 1 or 2 shifts a game.

Of course Comrie's going to be terrible when he's played in a checking role, or given 10 minutes or less a night beside grinders. Considering the mixing and matching Bylsma likes to do, would it really hurt that much to, say, play Comrie on Crosby's wing for a two or three game stretch? It would then allow them to move Dupuis to the LW, and move Kunitz down so Malkin has a solid winger to play with.

I dunno. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. But I just don't like the fact that a guy with decent talent (but obvious flaws, otherwise he wouldn't sign at the league minimum) would sign here for cheap, only to be misused. Even if Comrie's a waste of a uniform for this team, it might send a bad message to any other skilled guys who would otherwise take a discount to play with Sid. Why would they, if when they do get here they get relegated to 4th line while grinders play alongside Sid?
No offense dude, but I can't help but be a dick when I read stuff like that, because it's more about riding the train and piling on the coach rather than understanding what you're watching. D-zone coverage fine. PP problems, go for it. But Mike Comrie?

This "regular shift" nonsense is fantasy land and video game stuff. There isn't a single thing Mike Comrie does well to even justify him being on the roster, much less be given 18 minutes a game. It's yet more well-wishing by fans that he might be another diamond in the rough. He's a **** hockey player that was jobless until September for a reason. Give me Chris Conner on the roster over Comrie any day.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.