HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #17 |Edmonton Oilers @ New York Rangers|12:30pm EST| MSG(HD)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2010, 09:01 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
I'm enjoying it.

I like this version of NY that is young, physical and hard working. It really pisses off a lot of fans especially if their team is loaded with underperforming overpaid vets.
Hey, we got tons of hate when we lived up to the classy, roll over, sissy billing. May as well earn the villian title if they're going to slap it on you regardless.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Levitate

Smid wasn't skating away. People need to stop with making the incident sound like Smid wasn't even looking at Avery and Avery jumped him.

Smid was looking at Avery the whole time, he wasn't skating away. When Avery made his move, Smid move away from him while dropping the gloves. That doesn't constitute "skating away before Avery attacked him!"

I still think Avery pulled a bit of a dick move and used surprise to get in a quick punch, but the fact remains that Smid was still yapping at him, smacking his shinpads, looking right at Avery, and dropped his gloves instead of either ducking Avery or turtling to defense himself.

That's all. Avery was a dick and Smid did something stupid. can we get on with our lives.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:12 PM
SRTtoZ

Just saw the christensen video....It doesnt come off as ANTI Avery to me...he says something like "Kinda looked like he hit him when he wasnt looking, suspsension wise, we will see what happens with that"...but the look on his face kinda tells me he is being sarcastic, like 'ITS AVERY, of course he is going to get a suspension" kind of way.

BTW, the video is being shown on hockey network ON the Fly...just leave it on and you will see it.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Abooch68

EJ Hradek is a clown.. he can never give the rangers credit as most of these media outlets.. keeps on talking about how the rangers are offensively strapped.. Did he even see highlights from any of the games esp without gaborik..

Old
11-14-2010, 09:19 PM
DutchShamrock

What irratates me is that Avery gets zero benefit of the doubt. Maybe he didn't drop right away because he shouldn't have to defend himself for a clean hit, and he always draws attention for clean hits. It bugs guys, if he fought for every hit he would lead the league in majors.

His team is up, they had the puck, I've seen a hundred guys applauded for not dropping in those situations. Smid is the one who kept it up, maybe that's why Avery changed his mind. The jawing and the slash, he stayed in Avery's space. Avery's looking at the play and once it's clear that nothing is going to develop, Avery decides to go.

He turns to Smid and says something. This is the point of contention. He at some point said "wait". Oil fans say that meant next shift, obviously Avery meant wait for the play to end or develop. I don't like people sitting at home, lip reading and drawing conclusions about what he really said or meant. I think it's pretty clear that Avery says at one point, "let's go" while he's pointing at the ice. Smid is looking at him, they both drop and Avery's lunge surprises Smid. He is off balance and he got rocked.

That is an Avery fan interpretation. Is it 100% accurate, is it the way it really went down? No. But neither is the story invented by half the league. Did Avery act like he didn't want to fight, say no, let's wait until next shift. Then once the guy turned his head he dropped him like a sack of potatoes? It's a lot of speculation. It's just some much distortion to make it seem more or less than what it really is.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
Just saw the christensen video....It doesnt come off as ANTI Avery to me...he says something like "Kinda looked like he hit him when he wasnt looking, suspsension wise, we will see what happens with that"...but the look on his face kinda tells me he is being sarcastic, like 'ITS AVERY, of course he is going to get a suspension" kind of way.

BTW, the video is being shown on hockey network ON the Fly...just leave it on and you will see it.
I like Craig Button. His opinions are pretty respectable, in my opinion, but the way he's talking garbage about Avery makes it seem like he pulled a Chris Simon. Enough.

I'm going to repeat it again: It's not dirty when both - Smid's and Avery's - gloves were dropped. Boo ****ing hoo. If Avery threw the punch when both of them had their gloves on, or just Smid, then, yeah, it's dirty. What the **** are people *****ing about? Isn't that's what's fightning is about? Knocking out the other dude? Holy ****.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
Just a question for Rangers fans,

IF Avery really did say "wait wait, we'll fight next shift" and then went in for the punch as Smid was skating away, would that change your opinions on it being dirty?

After watching it a few times, yeah I agree that the main board blew it completely out of proportion, but I still find it cheap and undermining which isn't a surprise for Avery. If it was anyone else, I'd still be saying the same thing.
Better question to Avery-haters:

If Smid was in Avery's skates and Avery was in Smid's skates, would all of you be *****ing about how cheap it was?

Old
11-14-2010, 09:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Better question to Avery-haters:

If Smid was in Avery's skates and Avery was in Smid's skates, would all of you be *****ing about how cheap it was?
I can understand why Edmonton fans would be upset. If Carcillo did this to Girardi I would be pissed off too. All of us would be. But the fact of the matter is that they squared off to fight and Smid looked like he was going to back-off to get situated. Its a fight, protect yourself.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:34 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
In my opinion, what Avery threw wasn't a suckerpunch. Smid dropped his gloves a second before Avery knocked out his ****. So it's not cheap and it shouldn't be thought as cheap. End of story.

Haters gon' hate.
To be fair, Smid may have been able to get the gloves off in time, but he wasn't even facing Avery when he came at him.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:36 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
You guys have a fun squad to watch. I rock my Gaborik jersey proudly.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
But but but! TSN and the Oilers players said it was dirty!
TSN sucks they hate ny and who cares!!! What did BM say it was dirty? u don't make a challenge and turn your head Dummy. Edmonton trying to divert attention from the fact they suck maybe?

Old
11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
To be fair, Smid may have been able to get the gloves off in time, but he wasn't even facing Avery when he came at him.

Glove off punch not yet thrown end of story

Old
11-14-2010, 09:39 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
What irratates me is that Avery gets zero benefit of the doubt. Maybe he didn't drop right away because he shouldn't have to defend himself for a clean hit, and he always draws attention for clean hits. It bugs guys, if he fought for every hit he would lead the league in majors.

His team is up, they had the puck, I've seen a hundred guys applauded for not dropping in those situations. Smid is the one who kept it up, maybe that's why Avery changed his mind. The jawing and the slash, he stayed in Avery's space. Avery's looking at the play and once it's clear that nothing is going to develop, Avery decides to go.

He turns to Smid and says something. This is the point of contention. He at some point said "wait". Oil fans say that meant next shift, obviously Avery meant wait for the play to end or develop. I don't like people sitting at home, lip reading and drawing conclusions about what he really said or meant. I think it's pretty clear that Avery says at one point, "let's go" while he's pointing at the ice. Smid is looking at him, they both drop and Avery's lunge surprises Smid. He is off balance and he got rocked.

That is an Avery fan interpretation. Is it 100% accurate, is it the way it really went down? No. But neither is the story invented by half the league. Did Avery act like he didn't want to fight, say no, let's wait until next shift. Then once the guy turned his head he dropped him like a sack of potatoes? It's a lot of speculation. It's just some much distortion to make it seem more or less than what it really is.
SPOT on! Especially the part about Avery saying "wait, wait"....even Ryan Whitney commented after the game avery was saying WAIT WAIT WAIT...for some reason Edmonton fans and ALL the other fans from the mainboard interpret this as "NO, NO NO NO NO"...He said wait, you can CLEARLY see avery lookin down the ice at the play that was developing and once he was ready he threw down. End of story. Smid got rocked.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

So what? He was facing him when he got rocked.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post

Thank you for posting this.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, we sure would lose every game with Gaborik out.

Oh wait, we didn't.

We did, however, go 8-2 against you guys with him in the lineup. Guess we don't suck that bad after all.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post

It was pretty obvious from the replay that smid wasn't ready.. but he instigated!! So he instigates a fight that he's not prepared for.

Guess he's just a sucker

Old
11-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Nothing better to do than troll?

When was the Oilers last cup? Mid 80's?

Old
11-14-2010, 09:51 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
So what? He was facing him when he got rocked.
Technically...I guess so.

Literally, barely even a second between glove off and fist to face. I'm not saying it's anything near a despicable move...just that it's definitely not a fair fight or in the least bit honorable on Avery's part.

Old
11-14-2010, 09:53 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:

Literally, barely even a second between glove off and fist to face. I'm not saying it's anything near a despicable move...just that it's definitely not a fair fight or in the least bit honorable on Avery's part.
why don't you go and worry about something else - like how your defense just shipped 8 goals ?

Old
11-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

Oh well. Then Smid should of sped up his backward skating. lol

Old
11-14-2010, 09:56 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
why don't you go and worry about something else - like how your defense just shipped 8 goals ?
3rd party here...not a Rangers or a Oilers fan. Just wanted to give my two cents on the matter. But yes, I'd say the Oilers should be more worried about 8 GA than the outcome of a fight.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

It looks like the glove is coming off Smids hand at :53. If Avery has the time to make the punch, why doesn't Smid also swing, or duck, or try to avoid getting bashed in the face?

It's the equivalent of grabbing someone by the jersey and flinging them into an awkward position, and then unleashing on them; this happens in many "middleweight" fights. Avery didn't have to put him in the awkward position, he was half facing Avery and half facing the play. Avery goes to grab him and yank him, and happens to land a punch right in his face.

All cries of Avery's fight not being fair are off when Dubinsky is attacked from the bench, imo.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:01 PM
macehockey24

Avery rocked him and they were facing eachother. The fact of the matter is they dont have to wait for the other player to "get ready". A quick attack can be a strategy in fighting.

and for all you Oilers fans that run your mouth like Smid did after a clean hit, make your way to the Garden next time and run your mouth and see what happens. Enough said.

Lets go Rangers!

Old
11-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

oilers are an ahl team let there fans rip on us idc.

LGR whip the pens tomm and 3 game winning streak!

Closed Thread