HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Edmonton Oilers @ New York Rangers

Old
11-14-2010, 11:49 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
we should all know avery is no angel.
That may be true, but he is far...FAR from the Devil the fans, and media try to make him out to be.

There are far dirtier players that the NHL should be aware of more than Sean Avery, who I really don't even consider a dirty player.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah, Avery may be classless and at times detrimental to the team, but overall, he's not nearly as bad as the media and league would have you believe.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:55 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Just thinking about it...

Kind of hard to hit someone square in the jaw if they're not facing you (to quote my Edmonton Oilers fans) ey?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, Avery may be classless and at times detrimental to the team, but overall, he's not nearly as bad as the media and league would have you believe.
Completely agree. I have always said this. If it was another player, it would not have been blown up, If he did not connect on the punch, It would not have blown up.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:03 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

The funny thing about the League's hatred of Avery - it really turned based on comments he made about another player's girlfriend. (Comments!) Before that, he was just another punk along the lines of Carcillo.

I'm not an Avery fan primarily because he frankly is downright dirty at times, but more importantly does a lot of stupid **** that hurts the team. Having said that, I didn't really have a problem with the first punch. I mean, was it CLEAN per se? No, but it really was more a result of one guy (Smid) getting his timing wrong at the start of a fight. You see it all the time. The only difference today was that he went down in one punch as a result and the other guy's name happened to be Avery. Honestly, what irked me more was the fact that he kept throwing once Smid was clearly down. Even so, the whole stupid incident was only like a 4 on the Avery scale - it wouldn't be getting nearly this much publicity if it hadn't happened in the midst of a New York team beating the bejesus out of a Canadian team.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 11-15-2010 at 12:16 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

to me this was a game more about how absolutely AWFUL the opposition was versus how good we are.

i think my beer league team woulda been able to put up a goal or 2 out there against that club.

ok maybe not, but you get my point.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:19 AM
XLJ

Quote:
I agree he isn't even agitating much anymore. I haven't seen many of his "antics" this season. He is just playing hard. He's not an honorable player. But he also isn't a dirty player that really attempts to hurt other players like a Matt Cooke.

He punched a guy trying to instigate a fight with him after a clean hit. Both players had there gloves off. I dont see what the big deal is. Its not like Avery chased after him.

The media just likes to whine about the rangers. They complain about them when they are too passive. Saying they are a bunch of overpaid individuals and not a team. Now they complain when they are aggressors and sticking up for themselves.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Senorchris

Callahan's reaction when Avery was heading down the tunnel is what gives me most cause for concern about the potentially divisive effect Avery can have on a team; he didn't look happy about what Avery did - he sure wasn't giving him a 'atta boy' stick tap. As Callahan is the closest thing to a C we have right now, that can't be a good thing.

The fact that Smid looks like a 13 year old boy doesn't help, but Avery definitely bent the code here; Smid was getting set when Avery belted him - the position of his feet in the still give it away. It wasn't a full blown sucker punch, and if Avery was fighting someone who utterly deserved it (Carcillo, Ruutu, Clarkson, Cooke et al) after one of them had pulled some douchebaggery early on in the game, I don't think anyone would care... but Smid's a pretty upstanding chap, was standing up for a teammate (after a clean hit, admittedly), and seemed to accept Avery's "wait, not now" spiel, instead of instigating it.

I dunno, I guess it just feels like there wasn't much of a point to Avery's antics this game - Rangers clearly had the game in hand, and the Oilers aren't enough of a rival to start sending a message. I'm his biggest fan, when his agitation serves a point - i.e. in any rivalry game, especially vs Brodeur/Kovalchuk, but not with 5 minutes to go when the Rangers are comfortably winning against a team they rarely face.

Senorchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorchris View Post
Callahan's reaction when Avery was heading down the tunnel is what gives me most cause for concern about the potentially divisive effect Avery can have on a team; he didn't look happy about what Avery did - he sure wasn't giving him a 'atta boy' stick tap. As Callahan is the closest thing to a C we have right now, that can't be a good thing.

The fact that Smid looks like a 13 year old boy doesn't help, but Avery definitely bent the code here; Smid was getting set when Avery belted him - the position of his feet in the still give it away. It wasn't a full blown sucker punch, and if Avery was fighting someone who utterly deserved it (Carcillo, Ruutu, Clarkson, Cooke et al) after one of them had pulled some douchebaggery early on in the game, I don't think anyone would care... but Smid's a pretty upstanding chap, was standing up for a teammate (after a clean hit, admittedly), and seemed to accept Avery's "wait, not now" spiel, instead of instigating it.

I dunno, I guess it just feels like there wasn't much of a point to Avery's antics this game - Rangers clearly had the game in hand, and the Oilers aren't enough of a rival to start sending a message. I'm his biggest fan, when his agitation serves a point - i.e. in any rivalry game, especially vs Brodeur/Kovalchuk, but not with 5 minutes to go when the Rangers are comfortably winning against a team they rarely face.
See, the thing is, avery's not the kind of guy who just walks (skates) away from that kind of situation.

And he pulls this kind of stuff all the time, smid should do some research on who he's dealing with before instigating.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:11 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Why would you take off your gloves in self defense?
Why did Gabby take his gloves off when Carcillo came after him? Similar concept. You're going to drop your gloves 90+% of the time if something like that happens.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:19 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
There's only 20-30 people in that photo so now I know you are lying. Those are Debbies fans.
12 People are furious with you right now.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Why did Gabby take his gloves off when Carcillo came after him? Similar concept. You're going to drop your gloves 90+% of the time if something like that happens.
While I understand the point now, I still have no issue with it. Don't walk away from a fight you picked unless you're damn sure it's done.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:51 AM
ohbaby

Whata game, Whata game! Boy it had everything! A Gabby hatrick, Frolly with a wakeup call, a couple of Boogy throw downs, an Avery bench clearing and most important, a W. Great entertainment.

We needed a game like this, irregardless of the feeble competition.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

If anyone wants to start something make a "who is the best agitator" thread in the main boards, and start it off by saying avery is

(there's a small chance you'll get an infraction though )

Old
11-15-2010, 02:15 AM
FromTheSide

There's only one thing left to say.

Happy birthday Marian Gaborik Taylor Hall

Old
11-15-2010, 02:23 AM
HoosierDaddy

Don't start no-****, there be no-****

Disclosure: I'm an Avery fan. But...

If Smid is going to avenge his team-mate (for a clean hit) he needs to go at Aves with "furious anger" and not that will you, won't you crap. Aves initially looked like he declined the dance, if you notice him (and Smid) looking up ice as the Rangers were countering in the offensive zone. I'm not sure about this, but I think (hope) Aves did not want to blow a scoring chance for his team and was just waiting for the play to finish. When the play went no where he pulled the BS. Yes - BS. There was no need to go at that time as the momentum of the retribution has stalled. They should have just skated away. Aves was "classless" to all-of-the-sudden flick on the berzerk switch. That's a punk move imo.

As for Stortini, at least he went at Prust, someone who throws down regularly. What Stortini did was what Smid should have done. You don't get to choose if you're going to fight...you're in a fight. Deal with it. Had he gone at Aves hot all this discussion is moot. Therefore, both are to blame.

I'm seriously "man-crushing" Boiler. Pecker wanted no part of him.

As for EC, he said more than he needed to say. He owes Aves an apology.

And man, time for an Oil change. They are terrible. I guess they're in the Larsen sweepstakes to round out their tank division (Hall, Eberly, Pajaarvi, et al) and add a dman to their nucleus. It was nice to see "the Profesor" at the Garden again,

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:24 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Oiler fan coming in peace. There's been enough said about "the incident," so leaving that one well enough alone.

Just wanted to say that, since I'm half a world away and had to hijack a stream on the internet to watch the game, I ended up only being able to find the MSG feed. I was really impressed by the quality of your broadcast team (whose names I've already forgotten). Being in the NW, we're fed a constant stream of terrible homer announcers (Vancouver, I'm looking in your direction), so it was refreshing to be able to listen to a duo who obviously had done their homework, knew a lot about the visiting team, and and were generally just enjoyable to listen to. Y'all are lucky to have them.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:30 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Oiler fan coming in peace. There's been enough said about "the incident," so leaving that one well enough alone.

Just wanted to say that, since I'm half a world away and had to hijack a stream on the internet to watch the game, I ended up only being able to find the MSG feed. I was really impressed by the quality of your broadcast team (whose names I've already forgotten). Being in the NW, we're fed a constant stream of terrible homer announcers (Vancouver, I'm looking in your direction), so it was refreshing to be able to listen to a duo who obviously had done their homework, knew a lot about the visiting team, and and were generally just enjoyable to listen to. Y'all are lucky to have them.
The announcers were John Gianonne (fill-in) and Joe Michelleti. A Majority of us hate gianonne and his "announcing" so you can take him if you want The real quality guy for the rangers is Sam Rosen who had to do a football game, unfortunatly.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:

lolwut.

John and Joe are morons. Our good broadcasting team is Sam and Dave.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:51 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:

John is a twit. Joe is knowledgeable, but he's captain obvious at times.

Sam and Dave are the key guys. they're in a league of their own in terms of quality. Now, if only we could get Kenny Alberts to replace Giannone.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:52 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
lolwut.

speak for yourself.

Dave Maloney is absolutely awful to listen to. He makes no sense whatsoever when he talks. Starts a sentence talking about one thing, finishes talking about another, with no segue whatsoever. Says "in the mean time" all the damn time, and talks like hes suffered quite a few head injuries.

Don't get me wrong, his opinions are usually spot on, and hes no nonsense and fair, but hes unable to articulate his thoughts in a way that's comprehensible to any English speaking person.

Personally I like Sam and Joe. I dont mind John Giannone whatsoever. I can't stand Mike Crisipino or the Sports Archeologist though.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:55 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
lolwut.

Heh, didn't even realize that was your "B" team. Obviously too many years of listening to Jim Hughson and whoever the **** morons in Calgary are have poisoned my brain.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Heh, didn't even realize that was your "B" team. Obviously too many years of listening to Jim Hughson and whoever the **** morons in Calgary are have poisoned my brain.
ever listen to jeanneret? worst announcer in the world.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

That's why i hate it when rangers games are on versus.

Those announcers need to be shot.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:42 AM
coolwasabi

Dick move by Avery. But no real harm done. I didn't like how Smid instigated a fight after a clean hit; it's becoming a trend in the NHL..

Oilers fans (hi!) should be more pissed at their team's ****** effort today. A lot of them are just picking on Avery so that they don't have to talk about the game.

That said, Avery's gotta lay off the stupid. He can't be winning friends in his own dressing room with this kind of behaviour. It doesn't contribute to a winning atmosphere.

coolwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote