HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Edmonton Oilers @ New York Rangers

Old
11-15-2010, 04:31 AM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
As much as I love Avery's antic's,... cause as long as they focus on him, it will take away from their game,... I hope it doesn't create any dissension in our lockeroom.

EC's comments after the game could be fuel to the fire.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Gormo
Holupchi

I was pretty surprised when I watched that replay, I expected Avery did something much worse then what I saw based on the outrage I was hearing about.

Smid saw him coming, its not like he turned his back and skated towards the bench.

I cant believe Im siding with Avery here...

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:41 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormo View Post
I was pretty surprised when I watched that replay, I expected Avery did something much worse then what I saw based on the outrage I was hearing about.

Smid saw him coming, its not like he turned his back and skated towards the bench.
It's HF. There'd be a 15 page thread if Avery stepped on an ant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
ever listen to jeanneret? worst announcer in the world.
I take your Jeanneret and raise you a Paul Stiegerwarld, and a Jeff Odgers.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormo View Post

I cant believe Im siding with Avery here...
Well basically what really happened is avery probably did something along the lines of saying "Wait.. wait.. wait.." (aka, "im waiting for you to drop your guard like an idiot"), then as soon as smid drops his guard avery throws his gloves off and surprises him.

The story's going to be embellished on both sides.

There's no doubt that smid was taken by surprise when that fist started flying at his face, anyone who can't see that is either an idiot or is looking through some serious rose colored glasses. But it's SMID'S FAULT HE LET HIS GUARD DOWN! If he was paying as much attention to avery as he should have been then it wouldn't have been such a shock that a fist was coming at him.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:20 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
The story's going to be embellished on both sides.
Oh, yeah. It's Avery. Every little thing he does gets magnified by 10.

It's much ado about nothing. The play was simple:

Avery hits Fraser, clean and hard. Then, Smid challenges him. Avery tells him to wait, as he watches the play develop. Keeps on saying wait. Then, when Smid starts to somewhat backoff, Avery drops the gloves and pops him in the jaw.

And both players are somewhat to blame. Avery for waiting before he could even get his gloves and stick gone, and Smid for not being prepared to fight.

Was it pretty? No. Was it necessary? Absolutely not. Did it affect the game? No. Simple.

Old
11-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Ail
k.

I don't think anyone here knows the full context of the fight or interview well enough to throw Christensen to the dogs over the comment.

The way some of you reacted you would think he said Avery was a gutless puke and should be suspended for the rest of the season.

Who knows, maybe he was just pandering to the media, maybe the question was loaded (did they air the question and the answer? I haven't seen it yet...), maybe he had a better look from the bench than you thought, maybe Avery admitted to cheaping Smid in the locker room prior to the interview.

You really don't know. So why get all pissy about it? If Avery thinks there is something wrong with his answer, we all know he'll be the first to let him know.

11-15-2010, 05:23 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

It's the way Christensen said it. He said it in like a condescending, sheepish tone.

Old
11-15-2010, 05:32 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Bottom line here is that Smid dropped his gloves and skated backwards - not a great idea. That Avery pounced on him and landed as this idiot was backing up while talking ****, really isn't Avery's fault. I'm not even going to get into what was said, etc... If you're thinking "honorable fight" while having the likes of Sean in front of you, then you're a useless tool who deserves to get dropped.

The NHL should give an automatic instigator penalty to anyone starting a fight over a clean hit. That would stop some of this idiocy.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:18 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Yaknow, I am probably gonna get flamed for this. I am a huge avery supporter, and an even bigger ranger fan, but it was not a fair punch at all. If you pause the video right before aves drops his gloves, smids skates are faced away and his gloves are on. As aves goes to shake his gloves smid takes his off in self defense. Maybe I wouldnt classify it as dirty, more along the lines of sneaky, but I actually don't like what he did. I liked it at the time, and I like him fighting, but do it straight up.
I would agree with you, if Avery had started the fight. But Smid is the one who decided he needed to challenge Avery after a clear hit. If you challenge a guy, stay square and in his face until he skates away. Don't let your guard down when you're still jawing.

11-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Levitate

I don't think it's hard to say that Avery intentionally surprised Smid to get a quick shot in, which I've been saying is a dick move, but it's not that bad or crazy either. And Smid simply wasn't paying attention and was in over his head. Don't know why we can't find fault with both sides in this. It wasn't a horrible "jumping" by Avery, or even what I'd call a sucker punch, but he took advantage of Smid and Smid reacted poorly

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I would agree with you, if Avery had started the fight. But Smid is the one who decided he needed to challenge Avery after a clear hit. If you challenge a guy, stay square and in his face until he skates away. Don't let your guard down when you're still jawing.
That's almost certainly the difference here between a suspension and not, that Smid instigated the whole thing.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:33 AM
BobSantos

Still think Avery refused only until Smid said something as they were skating back. I pretty clearly see Smid's mouth move then Avery snap and jump him.

Smid probably got what was coming.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
What exactly were the Cristensen comments?

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:40 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Avery is my new hero, he makes me

I love it when he makes everyone

Good times.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I agree he isn't even agitating much anymore. I haven't seen many of his "antics" this season. He is just playing hard. He's not an honorable player. But he also isn't a dirty player that really attempts to hurt other players like a Matt Cooke.

He punched a guy trying to instigate a fight with him after a clean hit. Both players had there gloves off. I dont see what the big deal is. Its not like Avery chased after him.

The media just likes to whine about the rangers. They complain about them when they are too passive. Saying they are a bunch of overpaid individuals and not a team. Now they complain when they are aggressors and sticking up for themselves.
Matt Cooke is on the Penguins which means that he is allowed to do whatever he wants

Old
11-15-2010, 08:02 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Craig Button was awful on NHL on the Fly. He basically called him an idiot, selfish, not team player, then said Prust should be disgusted with him because he had to fight Stortini.
He said it while sporting lip gloss, a GIANT nose, and the haircut of a geriatric poodle, so it's all good.

I'm sick of the Avery hate... he's no different than Ruutu, Burrows et al. Is this all because of the Dallas situation? If so, people are hypocrites.

As for EC....attitudes like that are reasons marginal players like himself find tons of ice time.... in Europe.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:10 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

We play Edmonton again?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
We play Edmonton again?
I hope soon I love this intense type of hockey

Old
11-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
He said it while sporting lip gloss, a GIANT nose, and the haircut of a geriatric poodle, so it's all good.

I'm sick of the Avery hate... he's no different than Ruutu, Burrows et al. Is this all because of the Dallas situation? If so, people are hypocrites.

As for EC....attitudes like that are reasons marginal players like himself find tons of ice time.... in Europe.
EC should have signed there

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
We play Edmonton again?
Unfortunately, no. The three Western Conference teams we face twice are the Wild, Avalanche and Blues.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Not pleased with Callahan barking at Avery only to half ass stop Peckham from getting at Avery until Boyle gets in. I can't even remember the last time Callahan fought to stick up for one of his teammates.

Way too dudley do right, Drury-esque.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Not pleased with Callahan barking at Avery only to half ass stop Peckham from getting at Avery until Boyle gets in. I can't even remember the last time Callahan fought to stick up for one of his teammates.

Way too dudley do right, Drury-esque.
I'm not sure he was yelling at Avery. He may have been yelling at the Oilers. And if you don't think Cally sticks up for teammates, then you're in the minority.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Maybe Cally was telling Avery to hurry to get off the ice when he saw the Oilers started to charge at him? Who knows.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I hope Avery does that to another Oiler one day.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:04 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
It's HF. There'd be a 15 page thread if Avery stepped on an ant.
I would love to start a thread on the main boards about Avery stepping on an ant, but I'm pretty sure that one would get locked fast and I'd get a nice PM from a mod!

For the person who was looking for the Avery thread, it got nuked.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote