HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How about the attendance so far!!!

Old
11-14-2010, 06:23 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
How about the attendance so far!!!

16,361. That's our average attendance thru 8 home games. Assuming 800 comps per game and we're looking at 15,561 paid per game so far this year. It's been almost a perfect storm of marketable competition (caps, pens), a nice visit from our friends from Chicago, and less competition form the Vols and Dores. Also, with less games in Oct and Nov (traditionally low attendance months), we are looking good as long as we stay in the hunt.

Usually we need a big Feb and March to catch up to get over the 14K paid threshold. If we win like we have in years past, we may have our biggest attendance year since the early 2000's.

This ownership group is getting it done. Better marketing, more big sponsors, and a better game experience is coming together. We are currently 19th in attendance in the league. The best we could ever be is 18th, given our smaller capacity.

Smashville is HockeyTown, baby. Gotta love it.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Nitrous Mafia

:::::::::::::::::::knocks on wood::::::::::::::::::::::::

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:47 PM
hockey diva

It's been good in part due to all the bandwagon fans that follow Pittsburgh, Washington and now Chicago.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:59 PM
kivaerijo

it has been nice, but not sure your 800 comps are right. could be, but i am betting its higher.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:05 AM
jstreet

vCash: 1500
I cant believe the empty seats Ive been seeing on tv when I watch Phoenix, Florida, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta. Whole lower bowl sections.

I would never bash them because I know how that feels, but at the same time I want to know where are all the people who were up in arms over our low attendance?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
it has been nice, but not sure your 800 comps are right. could be, but i am betting its higher.
I don't doubt that comps are higher, but not by much and even so I think if you've gone to a game this year...you're likely hooked. The energy in the building has been high, the games have been exciting, and it's just been a pleasure to watch!

I know they've run a couple buy 1, get 1 promos to fill Thursday night games, but those don't count as comps because there was a purchase. Those tix would both be counted as paid, but the revenue would be split amongst the two games. Regardless, the full house is making for a great atmosphere and I believe it will translate into bringing back old fans and hooking new fans that haven't yet experienced the game...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:41 AM
MarkMM

If you think back to the off-season, and with the economic situation and flood, most people seemed to be bracing themselves for a lower attendance to start the season with the sense that the best one could hope for would be for the Preds to survive the year.

This has definitely been a pleasant surprise, though with the quality of ownership/management, perhaps it shouldn't be.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:22 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I was pretty bummed that we were almost outnumbered in our own building saturday night but with our issues as long as they pay to get in I'll take all the enemy fans that we can pack in there...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3746
That's awesome news guys.

'Nucks fan

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:58 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I was pretty bummed that we were almost outnumbered in our own building saturday night but with our issues as long as they pay to get in I'll take all the enemy fans that we can pack in there...
I was slightly more irritated with the abundance of Crosby fans that just appeared in Nashville. I at least expect Pred Wings.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Predsfan80

I was sitting next to a first time fan Saturday night. He was from Johnson City, TN. I told him that it only takes one or two games to get hooked. I know it worked for me lol.

Predsfan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
MattPreds37

Quote:
We weren't outnumbered and I'll take their money.They were pretty quiet on the way out.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPreds37 View Post
They were pretty quiet on the way out.
Just the way i like them.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Seth Lake

Great article today in the Nashville City Paper with an in-depth interview of Jeff Cogen and talk about the attendance thus far. Revenues way up over the past three years, but as part of continued growth plan Cogen says comps will be up 10% this season and explains why it makes sense...

Quote:
When Jeff Cogen joined the Nashville Predators as CEO in August, he put himself on a crash course to learn the culture of the organization he suddenly led.

He spent preseason games in the press box, learning key team members, listening for the chants from the infamous Cellblock in Section 303, watching how all the back-of-the-house operations worked.

Cogen saw that the pieces were there; this was an organization, like any, with problems. Off ice: a former owner in jail for fraud. On ice: a failure to get past the first round of the playoffs. But it wasn’t broken.

During those cram sessions, Cogen started to formulate a strategy of gambles and calculated risks, to be sure, but also one that might get the Predators over the hump — on the ice and off it.
A MUST READ FOR ALL PREDS FANS -

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...al-average-fan

Last edited by Seth Lake: 11-15-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Great article today in the Nashville City Paper with an in-depth interview of Jeff Cogen and talk about the attendance thus far. Revenues way up over the past three years, but as part of continued growth plan Cogen says comps will be up 10% this season and explains why it makes sense...

A MUST READ FOR ALL PREDS FANS -

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...eal-average-fa
link appears to be broken...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
link appears to be broken...
Fixed. Thanks! It had cut off the final letter of the link when I cut and pasted it here...

Old
11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
CloakroomCrusader

nevermind....

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Cogen doesn’t care if you are Joe and Jane Q. Public or Waller Lansden or AT&T. Everybody’s money is green. Everybody’s butt fits in a seat.

Just shows what a bad businessman Liarpold was....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:33 PM
glenngineer

Very cool article.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:09 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Great article. Thanks for the link, SLake. Liepold seemed to be almost unwilling to take risks, and when he did it would basically be on a player. Putting the cart before the horse, if you will. Don't get me wrong, I loved having the chance to see one of my favorite players of all time (Forsberg) lacing them up in our ugly-ass mustards, but finding ways to draw revenue so that we can consistently afford quality players has to be the priority at this point. Cogen seems to know that.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:34 AM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Just shows what a bad businessman Liarpold was....
Makes me wonder if the organization in MN is feeling the pain of his poor business decisions as well, as they're consistently not selling out--for the first time in their existence.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I think Cogen realizes something that Leipold didn't. It's okay to give away a few tickets in an effort to fill the barn and bring in potential new customers, but it isn't okay to make people who do pay for the tickets feel like they're stupid for doing so. STH benefits is a good trade off. Giving away 400 tickets to fill a lower bowl section or woo a company is good business. Giving away 2500 tickets game after game is not. It cheapens the impact of the gift and the game itself.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:50 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

it sucks for me as a sth, but i don't care if there are comps when it is clear we aren't selling seats. i mean an empty seat is worthless. a butt in the seat is worth the parking, probably a soda or beer, maybe a hotdog and a souvinier. figure even if the seat was free have to hope the preds make 10 bucks off the person there. 500 a game means 5000 bucks. over 30 games, you get 150,000 bucks. it is pennies, but it adds up

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:28 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

As a full STHer since 1998, giving away comps and sweet deals during the season to fill seats is a delicate balance. Do it too much and it de-values paid tickets and leaves paying customers thinking they've made a bad deal.

The happy medium is do it to a predetermeined level, and monitor when people buy STH packs during the season, did they originally come to games on a comp, thus verifying the theory that a percentage of past freebies will turn into buyers.

The way to make people like me happy with my decision to lay out my money in full and up front is perks. Special treatment as a STHer that goes above just having a seat. Discounts are good, trade-ups, player access, special meetings with management, gifts, etc all designed to make it more special. Not to mention the pride of being a committed STHer. They ought to have a STHer Hall of Fame as recognition of support.

The best thing they can do is make STHers feel like they have ownership in the team or are a special partner. That feeling of commitment breeds pride which breeds long term faith.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 07:52 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
and you have to admit, being a STH has had more perks this year than years past.

The new regime seems to understand that you have to keep everyone happy.. you can focus on new traffic into the arena, but you have to keep your base pleased with their investment as well.

When they sent out the badges, I knew exactly what they were doing.. they can easily identify their STH base as they walk in the door. All the perks and things they're introducing for the home games are great.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote