HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter: 11-year Contract Extension, $58M $5.27+ AAV

Old
11-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Great Googily Moogily. When Homer ****s up, he sure does **** up, but when he gets it right......it's pretty damn nice.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
You can just say Mike York, it's okay.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:51 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Apparently, Carter had a good night after the game. Heard he was at a bar in Northern Liberties, partying it up until 5am. Wish I was there, he probably paid for everybody.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
Apparently, Carter had a good night after the game. Heard he was at a bar in Northern Liberties, partying it up until 5am. Wish I was there, he probably paid for everybody.
If Lavy learns of team partying until 5am while they play as they have... he may require all his players to do it LOL

Seriously, I put no faith in rumors like that. I don't even listen to them... they are often put out there to cause trouble I believe.

Old
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

ESPN's take

The cap hit is good...the length of the deal is fraught with peril...

Quote:
With the ink barely dry on Jeff Carter's 11-year, $58 million deal, the Flyers' focus now shifts to Ville Leino, who is slated for unrestricted free agency July 1. Leino doesn't want to go anywhere, so expect contract talks to be held again as early as this week.

"I've talked to them a few times and I'm confident we'll get something done," agent Bill Zito told ESPN.com on Saturday.

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren is certainly taking care of business, eh? Claude Giroux signed a new deal ($11.25 million over three seasons) Monday, a deal anyone in the business will tell you is less than what he could have pushed for. But I'm told the kid wanted to play ball with the Flyers' cap issues and be a part of what he believes is a serious Cup contender.

Ditto for Carter. Here are the details behind his deal:
2011-12: $6 million
2012-13: $6.25 million
2013-14: $6.5 million
2014-15: $6.75 million
2015-16: $7 million
2016-17: $7 million
2017-18: $6.5 million
2018-19: $5 million
2019-20: $3 million
2020-21: $2 million
2021-22: $2 million

With a $5.27 million cap hit for the next 11 seasons, Carter's deal is a bargain no matter how you slice it. He knows he could have received more elsewhere -- hello, center-desperate teams in Toronto and New York (Rangers)? But Carter made it clear to his agent and the Flyers that Philadelphia was where he wanted to stay.

Now, the Flyers have a nice core for years to come. Impressive.

As a side note, we checked with the league Saturday, and it has no issues with Carter's 11-year deal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...rld-cup-return

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
It boils down to Carter's cap hit $5.27M in years where he definitely could have gotten more in the open market, and later during years likely wouldn't. If Carter was a UFA at age 34, he would be unlikely to get that much.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It boils down to Carter's cap hit $5.27M in years where he definitely could have gotten more in the open market, and later during years likely wouldn't. If Carter was a UFA at age 34, he would be unlikely to get that much.
Inflation also helps, in that the price of 34 year old ufa center men in ten years will be a lot closer to 5.2 million than it is now.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Carter just got a guaranteed $58M. He could go out there next week and blow his knee apart and he'd still get $58M. So, sure, he gives up a bit of potential earnings, but purchases complete security for that.
And really, Carter made almost a million on his ELC, then three x $5M, correct? So he's ALREADY earned almost $20M in his NHL career, plus any endorsement income. All these guys are set financially after their second contract.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That is nine or so years down the road... What would $5.275 be then? Unless I miscalculated in my quick run I got around $6.3 with a 2% escalation factor per season... plus we must consider that supply and demand and an open market dictates salaries in addition to inflation. A player of Carter's talent and worth down the road may be worth maybe $8M... and much more if the NHL collective revenues rise -- what if ESPN enters the picture with VS and NBC? -- The static amount that Carter will be paid may be a great bargain... Plus, who's to say that a 34 year old two-way player such as Carter will not be still lighting the lamp as one of the teams best players in nine years? What will Giroux be getting if he is signed to three more three year deals? My guess is it will be much greater than a $5.275 Cap hit in 2019... What will the next wave of two-way players with size, speed and great shot be getting?

A 34 year old Carter could be a washed up player who is overpaid... or a Selke candidate who is being paid well under market value... $5.275 in 2019 I figure will be the going rate for a lower than top tier player, so I'm not very worried... And my guess is that on the open market the veteran star Carter could very well command $5.275M. And to his benefit, he doesn't have to worry as he has financial certainty for the next dozen years, so it makes no difference to him if my thinking is solid or crap.

Old
11-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Jester

The trend is in the opposite for older players signing contracts... they're getting shafted in free agency with money going to younger players. That isn't going to change, that's the nature of a capped league (same thing happens in the NFL).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The trend is in the opposite for older players signing contracts... they're getting shafted in free agency with money going to younger players. That isn't going to change, that's the nature of a capped league (same thing happens in the NFL).
My non scientific observation has been that that is definitely the case for the average players... but I believe the star players who demand teams competing for their services are commanding more, and either forcing out the older journeymen or lowering their salaries to comply with organizations Cap situations.

I/we are going under the assumption that Carter will be top tier at 34... if not, it is a moot point, and he will be in a much better position than had he gone the shorter contract route.

Old
11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Villedelphia*

will this extension have the same effect on cartsiephan as trading away OKT had on wolfy?

Last edited by Villedelphia*: 11-15-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:13 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
will this extension have the same effect on cartsiephan as trading away OKT had on wolfy?
Unfortunately, no. Remember Wolfy went MIA after the OKT trade? Don't see that happening with catrsiephan.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Unfortunately, no. Remember Wolfy went MIA after the OKT trade? Don't see that happening with catrsiephan.
yeah exactly what I'm hoping for

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
My non scientific observation has been that that is definitely the case for the average players... but I believe the star players who demand teams competing for their services are commanding more, and either forcing out the older journeymen or lowering their salaries to comply with organizations Cap situations.

I/we are going under the assumption that Carter will be top tier at 34... if not, it is a moot point, and he will be in a much better position than had he gone the shorter contract route.
He almost certainly will not be. He's in his peak scoring years right now most likely.

Even then, the "top tier" guys are going to be locked in a la Carter through their prime, leaving less money for an older vet. If you keep paying 'em when they're in their mid 20s--smart move in a capped league--then you need to be taking money back elsewhere.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Quote:
yeah exactly what I'm hoping for
I am OK with the cap hit, not so much for the length but that is part of the 2010 contracts. Now it is time to see if Jeff Carter is the player who can bring a Stanley Cup to Philly? Can he carry the team in a playoff series? Is this a successful deal if he goes on to score 35 goals, 65-70pts a season but then falters in the playoffs and the Flyers do not win over the length of Carter and Richards contracts?

Over the first 17 games Carter has shown he can be dominant at times and over the last couple games I am impressed with his play, especially the play/pass to Giroux the other night. If he can adjust to palying the wing and still be successful while bringing a Stanley Cup it is a good deal, if not Homer has made a bet in which his and the players legacy could eventually lose on.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:39 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I am OK with the cap hit, not so much for the length but that is part of the 2010 contracts. Now it is time to see if Jeff Carter is the player who can bring a Stanley Cup to Philly? Can he carry the team in a playoff series? Is this a successful deal if he goes on to score 35 goals, 65-70pts a season but then falters in the playoffs and the Flyers do not win over the length of Carter and Richards contracts?

Over the first 17 games Carter has shown he can be dominant at times and over the last couple games I am impressed with his play, especially the play/pass to Giroux the other night. If he can adjust to palying the wing and still be successful while bringing a Stanley Cup it is a good deal, if not Homer has made a bet in which his and the players legacy could eventually lose on.
Fair enough but, is a guy making 5.27 million really supposed to "bring a Stanley Cup" and "carry the team in a playoff series"? I'd argue they're supposed to be a large piece of it, but not supposed to do it themselves. The guys making 6 mill plus are normally the ones expected to be the workhorses.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Fair enough but, is a guy making 5.27 million really supposed to "bring a Stanley Cup" and "carry the team in a playoff series"? I'd argue they're supposed to be a large piece of it, but not supposed to do it themselves. The guys making 6 mill plus are normally the ones expected to be the workhorses.
Pronger should be glad he's off the hook and can relax now come playoff time, thing that worries me though is that Timmonen and Briere are both a little undersized to be our teams "workhorses" should have signed some bigger bodies to carry the load .

I don't think cap hit has anything to do with responsibility in this situation. The flyers entrusted and essentially gave the keys to the team for the next decade to Richards AND Carter, they both must perform IMO.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
If you are counting on Carter and Richards to be the core of the team and pay them such as RFA's it is certainly Homer investing into these two to lead the team to win a Stanley Cup. These guys are counted on as the core, leader as in captain, and leader as in being counted on to score, this is their 6th season. It is time to step up and be the leaders of the team. Briere has carried this team, Leino has carried this team, Timonen is just steady, Pronger directly was responsible for the team making it to the SCF's, it is time to man up and be a playoff performer, period.

Old
11-15-2010, 08:56 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
but buy taking a lower cap hit, Carter allows us to ice a stronger team year to year

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:04 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If you are counting on Carter and Richards to be the core of the team and pay them such as RFA's it is certainly Homer investing into these two to lead the team to win a Stanley Cup. These guys are counted on as the core, leader as in captain, and leader as in being counted on to score, this is their 6th season. It is time to step up and be the leaders of the team. Briere has carried this team, Leino has carried this team, Timonen is just steady, Pronger directly was responsible for the team making it to the SCF's, it is time to man up and be a playoff performer, period.
Yea I undestand. My point was basically that we have a lot of guys we should be relying on to be "the guy". I don't put any more pressure on Carter than I do Richards, Briere, Pronger, and Kimmo (and maybe a few others). That's what I like about our team. So much top tier talent, we should always have someone that steps up...and Carter should be one of them.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Yea I undestand. My point was basically that we have a lot of guys we should be relying on to be "the guy". I don't put any more pressure on Carter than I do Richards, Briere, Pronger, and Kimmo (and maybe a few others). That's what I like about our team. So much top tier talent, we should always have someone that steps up...and Carter should be one of them.
No question team effort is called upon to get the job done. This team has enough talent on defense and now has their "core" wrapped up in the fwds, plus now a goalie. No excuses, it is time for parade down Broad St. But this contract and securing of Richards and Carter long term is the organizational belief that these two are the core to success, now in their 6th year and the most tenured leaders on the roster it is their time to put this team on their backs and lead by example. It is added responsibility to perform.

Old
11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
healthyscratch

Unbelievable cap number, although that comes with the years. But I'd rather have a longer contract than a bigger cap hit. If it was 5/6 years that cap hit would've been at least 6.5m, and the contract isn't until he's 40 either.

Plus would you rather have to overpay for an older, free agent scorer WITH a full nmc(see:Briere, Danny) or keep the younger scorer you have at a better price with limited ntc's?

I'm not a his biggest fan, but there's one thing we'll never complain about, and that is his contract. He scores 37-42 goals consistantly, and I'll be real happy.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Unbelievable cap number, although that comes with the years. But I'd rather have a longer contract than a bigger cap hit. If it was 5/6 years that cap hit would've been at least 6.5m, and the contract isn't until he's 40 either.

Plus would you rather have to overpay for an older, free agent scorer WITH a full nmc(see:Briere, Danny) or keep the younger scorer you have at a better price with limited ntc's?

I'm not a his biggest fan, but there's one thing we'll never complain about, and that is his contract. He scores 37-42 goals consistantly, and I'll be real happy.
He takes so much **** from fans but that's twice now that he's given up money to help the team. People say he's gutless and has no character but he's proven he's got both. Same goes for Richards and Roo, all 3 are team first players and I'm hoping Leino gets signed for a good hit over the next few days. I'm loving this team!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:40 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Why would it?

We traded OKT to another team; Wolfy followed.

We signed Carter for 11 years...pretty sure we now get Cartsiephan for 11 years.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote