HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

PIT--BUF Blockbuster

Old
11-15-2010, 12:56 AM
DwightKSchrute

vCash: 500
No thanks, we are giving up way to much.

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:24 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock45 View Post
I could maybe see a deal like

To Buf:
Jordan Staal
Brooks Orpik
Simon Depres

To Pit:
Thomas Vanek

maybe something like that would work,
but i highly doubt Pittsburgh could take on that much salary in just 2 players,
Hahahahahahaha.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Pit: Simon Despres

Buffalo: Zack Kassian

Pittsburgh gives up their #1 prospect who should've made the team out of camp this year, and who was their best looking defenseman on the ice in the preseason. Big kid (6'4") that has some of the most crisp skating you'll see for a guy that size. Excellent passing skills. Underrated shot. Despres and Myers would be the #1 pairing on the PP the next 10 years for Buffalo. I definitely think he will score 50+ points a year in the NHL in his prime.

Kassian is a mean winger that is built in the mold of Rick Tocchet (hopefully without the gambling)
Kassian gives the Pens a legit top prospect at RW. Kassian probably has 20-25 goal upside in him at the NHL level but it's hard to say at this point. He's a bull that plays off his rocker once in a while.

Last edited by Jules Winnfield: 11-15-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:52 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post

Pittsburgh gives up their #1 prospect who should've made the team out of camp this year, and who was their best looking defenseman on the ice in the preseason. Big kid (6'4") that has some of the most crisp skating you'll see for a guy that size. Excellent passing skills. Underrated shot. Despres and Myers would be the #1 pairing on the PP the next 10 years for Buffalo. I definitely think he will score 50+ points a year in the NHL in his prime.

Kassian is a mean winger that is built in the mold of Rick Tocchet (hopefully without the gambling)
Kassian gives the Pens a legit top prospect at RW. Kassian probably has 20-25 goal upside in him at the NHL level but it's hard to say at this point. He's a bull that plays off his rocker once in a while.
I'm guessing but i bet it will take more then Despres to land Kassian.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:44 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
wej20

Quote:

Buffalo need Kassian more than they need Despres.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Buffalo need Kassian more than they need Despres.
Pretty much what Wej said. The Sabres need some skilled size in their top-6, and they hope that Adam and Kassian will provide that in the near future. I really like Despres, and I think he was a steal considering where Pittsburgh drafted him, but the Sabres just don't need more defensive prospects in the pipeline, even if he may turn into an ideal partner for Myers.

The Sabres already have a large crop of sub-25 year-old defensemen at the NHL level (Myers, Sekera, Butler, Weber), solid AHL defensive prospects (Brennan, Scheistel, Gragnani, and maybe Crawford), and some good junior defensemen (McNabb, Pysyk, Gauthier-Leduc, M. MacKenzie). In contrast, the forward pipeline is pretty barren outside of Adam and Kassian. The Sabres just can't trade either one right now, especially Kassian, who brings a snarl the team sorely lacks in their top-6.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:22 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The Sabres already have a large crop of sub-25 year-old defensemen at the NHL level (Myers, Sekera, Butler, Weber), solid AHL defensive prospects (Brennan, Scheistel, Gragnani, and maybe Crawford), and some good junior defensemen (McNabb, Pysyk, Gauthier-Leduc, M. MacKenzie). In contrast, the forward pipeline is pretty barren outside of Adam and Kassian. The Sabres just can't trade either one right now, especially Kassian, who brings a snarl the team sorely lacks in their top-6.
Spot on Zip.
Tyler Myers, Tyler Ennis, Zach Kassian, Luke Adam and Jhonas Enroth are pretty much "untouchables" for common sense reasons.
Buffalo needs Ennis, Kassian and Adam to help out with a very shallow depth situation at forward.
Myers is a franchise D man.
Enroth is the projected back up to Miller next season.

Young Defenseman we have plenty of in the pipeline.
I think if others are going to offer trades with the Sabres in them and they want to add prospects in the mix, they are best off looking to Buffalo's deep depth at Defense.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Dylonus

Quote:

To Buf:
Jordan Staal
Brooks Orpik
Simon Depres

To Pit:
Thomas Vanek

Pittsburgh is trying to win another cup... not end up with the #1 overall pick. This proposal is just brutal man.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
metalan2

I would do this deal from a Pens perspective. Vanek and Pominville would be unstoppable with Sid and Geno. They would more than make up for the loss defensively of Staal and Orpik.

Buffalo just loses all of their offensive capabilities with this one though. There is no way they can do this.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Spot on Zip.
Tyler Myers, Tyler Ennis, Zach Kassian, Luke Adam and Jhonas Enroth are pretty much "untouchables" for common sense reasons.
Buffalo needs Ennis, Kassian and Adam to help out with a very shallow depth situation at forward.
Myers is a franchise D man.
Enroth is the projected back up to Miller next season.

Young Defenseman we have plenty of in the pipeline.
I think if others are going to offer trades with the Sabres in them and they want to add prospects in the mix, they are best off looking to Buffalo's deep depth at Defense.
I think it's foolish to have Enroth in the untouchable category, especially for the reason you listed.

Miller is one of the best (some will argue best) goalies in the league and is right in the middle of his prime. He will be around for at least another 5 years at the top of his game, maybe 7-8. Enroth is not going to sit as the backup until he's in his late 20s so the Sabres will either trade him or lose him to free agency.

I'm not saying they should give him away, but to place your projected backup goalie (who will be nothing more for another half decade) on an untouchable list seems a tad silly.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
couldnt this same argument be made...

pominville>kunitz

Staal>guastad

i know what your saying, its just that people interpret things differently
Staal is by far the most valuable player in the trade, that makes ZERO sense for Pitt to make this trade

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
senators101

Neither team does this. Pittsburgh can't afford another 7 mil contract and Buffalo's offense would be taking too much of a hit.

senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
I think it's foolish to have Enroth in the untouchable category, especially for the reason you listed.

Miller is one of the best (some will argue best) goalies in the league and is right in the middle of his prime. He will be around for at least another 5 years at the top of his game, maybe 7-8. Enroth is not going to sit as the backup until he's in his late 20s so the Sabres will either trade him or lose him to free agency.

I'm not saying they should give him away, but to place your projected backup goalie (who will be nothing more for another half decade) on an untouchable list seems a tad silly.
Ultimately, I think Enroth's purpose to the organization will be to get traded away for assets when he's ready for a full-time gig at the NHL level. Until then, he'll back up Miller for a year or two and build his value.

I agree that he's not an "untouchable" in the way that Kassian, Adam, Myers, and Ennis probably are right now, but trading him in the near future would be tantamount to selling low on a nice asset. His value will increase as he sees more time in the NHL.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:

To Buf:
Jordan Staal
Brooks Orpik
Simon Depres

To Pit:
Thomas Vanek

Jeez, I think we found Vanek's #1 fan.

Hans Rutherford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Pretty much what Wej said. The Sabres need some skilled size in their top-6, and they hope that Adam and Kassian will provide that in the near future. I really like Despres, and I think he was a steal considering where Pittsburgh drafted him, but the Sabres just don't need more defensive prospects in the pipeline, even if he may turn into an ideal partner for Myers.

Good points. I didn't realize how deep Buffalo was at youth on D. Totally forgot about you guys drafting Pysyk too. Solid pick when you got him.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:57 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post

Don't disagree with you at all, and although it is my opinion, its based on what I know of my teams management team, namely Darcy Regier.

He will indeed, keep Enroth as the backup to Miller for a season or 2 simply becuase it will be very cheap to do so. Like I said, he's on the untouchable list.

Sorry man, I agree with you, but here in Buffalo it is what it is.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:13 AM
mgeise

Quote:

I think Despres is the superior prospect, but Buffalo desperately needs a guy with Kassian's skillset, so we'd politely decline. We are stacked with young defenseman throughout the system, so Despres doesn't have as much value to us as he would to another team.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Jeez, I think we found Vanek's #1 fan.
He's a Devils fan. He's just jealous of our success

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Your trade proposal was so terrible, it became Puck Daddy's "Perfect HFBoards trade proposal of the week".

Congrats.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Ah look, it's another Jordan Staal thread, where we get "educated" on how he is an elite untouchable center (Who btw can not even hit 50 points even with the 2 best centers in the league taking all the defensive coverage?!)Staal is NOT a top 20, or even top 50 player. I can easily name 50 skaters I'd take over Staal (Vanek included)

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:43 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Ah look, it's another Jordan Staal thread, where we get "educated" on how he is an elite untouchable center (Who btw can not even hit 50 points even with the 2 best centers in the league taking all the defensive coverage?!)Staal is NOT a top 20, or even top 50 player. I can easily name 50 skaters I'd take over Staal (Vanek included)
Ah look, it's everyone's favourite Sabres Homer.

Old
11-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Ah look, it's everyone's favourite Sabres Homer.
Give me the reason why Staal has never hit 50 points even though he has 3rd line matchups?Is your excuse going to be Sid and Malkin generate all the offense?Because I have personally seen 3rd line centers around Staal's age blow his production out of the water.

Age 23-75 GP-63 P-18:28 TOI (3rd line center who was in his 2nd full season in the NHL)

Last 2 seasons Staal has averaged over 19 mins a game (Closer to 20 yet still is >50 P every season)

Staal's a good 2nd/3rd line center but I'm sick of him being talked as he is a Stamkos/Backstrom/Toews type talent.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Give me the reason why Staal has never hit 50 points even though he has 3rd line matchups?Is your excuse going to be Sid and Malkin generate all the offense?Because I have personally seen 3rd line centers around Staal's age blow his production out of the water.

Age 23-75 GP-63 P-18:28 TOI (3rd line center who was in his 2nd full season in the NHL)

Last 2 seasons Staal has averaged over 19 mins a game (Closer to 20 yet still is >50 P every season)

Staal's a good 2nd/3rd line center but I'm sick of him being talked as he is a Stamkos/Backstrom/Toews type talent.
Wow. A little dramatic? Who ever said he was a Stamkos/Backstrom/Toews type talent? Staal is more like Joe Niewendyk. A guy you want on your team to win championships that is solid all around.

Actually, the real reason why Staal hasn't hit 50+ points yet is because he doesn't get any PP time with the first unit. Because Malkin and Crosby play usually 1:50 of the PP, Staal comes on the last ten seconds of the PP so that Bylsma has his third line playing as the next line since obviously neither Crosby or Malkin's line wouldn't be completely able to go.

Also, take a look at Staal's even strength points. Because he doesn't play the PP, it was even to my surprise that his ES points are right up there with the likes of Toews/Backstrom, etc (not that I'm comparing him to them) just noting his ES production is right there below or exceeds those guys.

Old
11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
wej20

Quote:

He's hit 49 twice, it's not like him reaching 50 is going to double his value. Staal is often used agains other teams top units. In Terms of ES production Staal was better than Jeff Carter and Mike Richards last year.