HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'm done with Easton, Help please.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2010, 11:03 AM
  #1
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,251
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
I'm done with Easton, Help please.

So I wont get into how many stick's I have broken this year because its asinine and stupid. Easton continues to put forth a ****** effort in durability and a lot of my friend's have been seeing it regress profoundly.

I need help.

I have used the Sakic (now Hall) curve for years upon years. I hate change. what curve's in every brand are similar? I looked it up myself but I didn't see any of them 100% identical..

thanks!

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
  #2
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
http://www.playersbench.com/bladeCom...pctN&r6=blpctN

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:14 AM
  #3
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,967
vCash: 500
Well I doubt you need a curve that's 100% identical...

Bauer P92
Warrior Draper
Harrow #6

How are you breaking the sticks?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
  #4
zetterberg40
Registered User
 
zetterberg40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,251
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
yea i did more reading and i'm gonna get a Draper.

I broke the S14, two of them (got the warranty on the other) in 4 periods. A guy slacked me on my blade, and yet it broke at the handle. The second one broke on a slap shot that wasn't even at 50% power that i usually do. More like a Kronwall slap-shot pass-esque. My stick yesterday broke when I LIGHTLY smacked a guy on his shin. Broke like a tooth pick. I say this because I got a 4 yr old ST that's never broke but is slowly wearing down as my backup. That thing could hack a tree down before it breaks. These are all just breaking like tooth picks.

I broke 2 of light slaps, not hacks but slaps. Such as a slap congratulating your goalie after a good save. that type of slap. Broke 3 off slap shot passes, and 4 others I don't remember. I just cannot do it anymore. If my ST can last through a stronger beating then there should be no reason for these to break. I could see if I beat the **** out of my sticks, but if I play the same with my ST and it lasts, then those should too.

I work now at my local inline rink and I'll say 60% of the broken sticks I see are Easton's. All three that broke yesterday, including mine, were Eastons. I've spent over $1000 on sticks and enough is enough.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:44 AM
  #5
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Why not just get the new ST? Its a very durable stick and should do you well without having to switch brands if you're that in love with the curve.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:45 AM
  #6
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan
 
Jimmy Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
yea i did more reading and i'm gonna get a Draper.

I broke the S14, two of them (got the warranty on the other) in 4 periods. A guy slacked me on my blade, and yet it broke at the handle. The second one broke on a slap shot that wasn't even at 50% power that i usually do. More like a Kronwall slap-shot pass-esque. My stick yesterday broke when I LIGHTLY smacked a guy on his shin. Broke like a tooth pick. I say this because I got a 4 yr old ST that's never broke but is slowly wearing down as my backup. That thing could hack a tree down before it breaks. These are all just breaking like tooth picks.

I broke 2 of light slaps, not hacks but slaps. Such as a slap congratulating your goalie after a good save. that type of slap. Broke 3 off slap shot passes, and 4 others I don't remember. I just cannot do it anymore. If my ST can last through a stronger beating then there should be no reason for these to break. I could see if I beat the **** out of my sticks, but if I play the same with my ST and it lasts, then those should too.

I work now at my local inline rink and I'll say 60% of the broken sticks I see are Easton's. All three that broke yesterday, including mine, were Eastons. I've spent over $1000 on sticks and enough is enough.
Why not get another ST? The '09 models were pretty beast. Then you can stick with the Sakic curve (my fave curve as well)

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
  #7
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan
 
Jimmy Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Why not just get the new ST? Its a very durable stick and should do you well without having to switch brands if you're that in love with the curve.
Beat me to the punch lol

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
  #8
Briere Up There*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Žďár nad Sázavo
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Yeah, my SE16s break between 2-7 weeks of use. I either send 'em back or get another one. I can afford it, and I love the stick.

Next year though I might start trying another brand. Not to derail the topic, but does anyone know a blade pattern with the same lie as the Zetterberg and a similar curve but with more of a hook at the end? I should be able to roof pucks easier than I do.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:58 AM
  #9
paulie9
Registered User
 
paulie9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
COMbat is making a pretty killer stick these days

http://www.hockeygiant.com/com1052crstksr.html

paulie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
  #10
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,967
vCash: 500
Did you mean the S13? I've not heard of an S14.

I would pick up some 2-piece sticks. Dolomite 2-pieces are $160-170, but if you break the shaft, you can just replace it and save the cost of a new blade.

The only toe curves I know are the Harrow #4 (pretty mild) and the Base Hossa pro (bigger open toe curve).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:17 PM
  #11
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 25,611
vCash: 500
I still have my reebok 5k from 2007 and it still hasn't broken.


ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:56 PM
  #12
DJnet65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Or maybe go with a 2piece stick, then you can keep using your Sakic blade and go with a better shaft.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
  #13
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
yea i did more reading and i'm gonna get a Draper.

I broke the S14, two of them (got the warranty on the other) in 4 periods. A guy slacked me on my blade, and yet it broke at the handle. The second one broke on a slap shot that wasn't even at 50% power that i usually do. More like a Kronwall slap-shot pass-esque. My stick yesterday broke when I LIGHTLY smacked a guy on his shin. Broke like a tooth pick. I say this because I got a 4 yr old ST that's never broke but is slowly wearing down as my backup. That thing could hack a tree down before it breaks. These are all just breaking like tooth picks.

I broke 2 of light slaps, not hacks but slaps. Such as a slap congratulating your goalie after a good save. that type of slap. Broke 3 off slap shot passes, and 4 others I don't remember. I just cannot do it anymore. If my ST can last through a stronger beating then there should be no reason for these to break. I could see if I beat the **** out of my sticks, but if I play the same with my ST and it lasts, then those should too.

I work now at my local inline rink and I'll say 60% of the broken sticks I see are Easton's. All three that broke yesterday, including mine, were Eastons. I've spent over $1000 on sticks and enough is enough.
Sounds like you've had some bad luck with the Easton twigs that you bought. But, any stick can break no matter who the manufacture is. You said that you see a lot of broken Eastons, but don't let the number of broken Eastons cloud your judgment. In your area there are probably a lot of people that buy Easton, let alone the fact that Easton sells a ton of sticks worldwide. The odds of people bringing in broken sticks that are Eastons are going to be on the high side. The only stick that I've ever broken was not an Easton, and that was a fluke accident (the blade of my stick got caught in the zamboni door).

Since you are now working at your local inline rink, you should take advantage of your employee discounts and/or talk to a stick rep about getting new sticks at a price that the general public cannot get. Since you'll be getting a a great discount on sticks, you might want to try out some other brands and/or a two piece set up. Maybe a Warrior Dolomite or a Bauer One95?

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
  #14
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
The only stick that I've ever broken was not an Easton, and that was a fluke accident (the blade of my stick got caught in the zamboni door).
That's what did my last stick in. It put a nice crack in the blade and two games later it broke completely.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:16 PM
  #15
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,967
vCash: 500
I haven't used many Eastons, had a couple blades go soft quickly but that's about it.

My One95 I got used and it had a crack right in the middle of the shaft (a horizontal crack all the way across on the inside wall right where the bottom hand is). Surprisingly, it still works great, the blade looks brand new, and I've used it for months without it getting worse. Maybe that says I'm weak as hell, but the blade even looks brand new.

I've also had Dolomites that last forever, huge chunks out of the blade but still very stiff months later.

And my Harrows are absolute tanks too, although they are a bit heavy and don't have as much kick as high end sticks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:59 PM
  #16
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,694
vCash: 500
I've been breaking a lot of sticks recently, doesn't matter which brand (most recently Bauers and Sherwoods), definitely frustrating. Last stick was a one95, performance was fantastic, but broke it in less than 2 months. I'm now of the opinion that it's a complete waste of money to ever buy a $200+ stick when they're so damn fragile, once any high end stick takes a good slash or some other such impact its days are pretty much numbered, especially if you shoot hard. Replaced the one95 with an Easton ST that I got on sale for almost half off, performance is not up to the one95 at all (worse puck feel, more blade heavy, doesn't flex as well/as nicely, I prefer 77 flex sticks but the ST only goes down to 85), but they're supposed to be tanks durability wise, so hopefully that's true! Apparently it's wrapped in kevlar to make it more impact resistant, and the walls of the shaft are definitely way thicker than on the one95, so I'm reasonably optimistic.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
  #17
1stoverall
Registered User
 
1stoverall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
So I wont get into how many stick's I have broken this year because its asinine and stupid. Easton continues to put forth a ****** effort in durability and a lot of my friend's have been seeing it regress profoundly.

I need help.

I have used the Sakic (now Hall) curve for years upon years. I hate change. what curve's in every brand are similar? I looked it up myself but I didn't see any of them 100% identical..

thanks!
your absolutely right i went through 4 S17's and 1 S19 in 7 months before getting the hint, i will never buy easton twigs again.

1stoverall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
  #18
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,694
vCash: 500
If you want a mix of durability and performance I think a ST shaft with a one95 blade would be a nice combo. The ST blade kind of sucks, quite heavy (enough to make the stick feel noticeably blade heavy) and not great puck feel. One95 blades are awesome, light and great puck feel with the dual density foam core, plus the blades seem reasonably durable (unlike the one95 shafts with the super thin walls that are likely to snap from one good slash), just seems like it could be a real good combo to me.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
  #19
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
The pro stock Eastons are more durable than the retail. The ST's rock though, if you can deal with a little extra weight.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
  #20
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
If you want a mix of durability and performance I think a ST shaft with a one95 blade would be a nice combo. The ST blade kind of sucks, quite heavy (enough to make the stick feel noticeably blade heavy) and not great puck feel. One95 blades are awesome, light and great puck feel with the dual density foam core, plus the blades seem reasonably durable (unlike the one95 shafts with the super thin walls that are likely to snap from one good slash), just seems like it could be a real good combo to me.

I'm going to try something similar with a one95 blade and the shaft of a synergy elite.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:31 PM
  #21
IDuck
Registered User
 
IDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,078
vCash: 500
FYI warrior draper in now toews...not a fan of easton because i have gone through the same thing

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
  #22
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
The pro stock Eastons are more durable than the retail. The ST's rock though, if you can deal with a little extra weight.
You are wrong. The only reason why pro Easton sticks appear more durable is because a majority of them are STs that have Stealth or SE16/EQ50 graphics.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
  #23
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
FYI warrior draper in now toews...not a fan of easton because i have gone through the same thing
There are some Toews out there, but they will likely return to Draper since Toews decided to sign with Bauer instead of Warrior and the sticks were already marked.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:28 PM
  #24
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,428
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I used to break Eastons, switched to Warrior, never broke one of those, Sherwood, never broke and Bauer, never broke. Bought a CCM U+ and broke it the first time I used it passing the puck! The bad news? I just decided to get another Easton SQ50 today since I love the Gaborik curve (now Chara). I hope this one holds up.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:29 PM
  #25
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
You are wrong. The only reason why pro Easton sticks appear more durable is because a majority of them are STs that have Stealth or SE16/EQ50 graphics.
A little OT, I'm just curious here, but any idea why the pros like STs so much? If it's as durable as many say then it seems like a great stick for your average player, performance is not bad, but if I was getting sticks for free I'd be using a more high performance but fragile stick like a one95 without a doubt.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.