HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers @ New York Rangers

Old
11-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
I was at this game yesterday, and loved every minute of it. The atmosphere for an afternoon game was great. Sorry to see that kids day ended up in the toughest physical game of the year so far, but hey...Everyone enjoyed it, including Chris Meloni from Law and Order who was sporting his Black Fidora! I don't watch that show, but he was a cool guy.

All the talk recently of the Garden changing was 100% accurate yesterday. And while there were alot of kids there and that is what they wanted being Kids day, there was also a crazy amount of Edmonton Oiler fans there. It was almost shocking to see. I am at the Garden alot and when Toronto and Mtl come to town there is always alot of fans. But these fans trekked from Western Canada to watch thier boys play. My section in particular (233) and the sections around me literally had whole rows of Edmonton fans. But...It's pretty easy to figure it out. If you were a fan of another team and you wanted a good three day weekend why not come to ny for a game? With the ticket exchange, fans can easily go online and buy tickets which helps season ticket holder sell off games to make it more affordable. Expect this trend to continue.

When Edmonton took the lead, the EDM fan contingency made some noise. They were loud...real loud! Full blown "Let's go Oilers" chants going on. It was weird to see as again, this is a Western Canadien team. But they weren't obnoxious, they know the game, they love the game...and thier team. And most importantly they were respectful with all the kids there while really going crazy when the team bounced back. No joke, and not a shot at American fans as I am one patriotic individual, but my hats off to the Canadien fans. They know what they are talking about, they know where thier boys came from.

Onto the rough stuff...Going into the seson I had big Mac pegged for top 3 material. Maybe even taking over the title, but Boog beat him down pretty good in the first tilt. When Boogaard went to the box the played "Im the boogey man" which I got a laugh from. This was the first time I really saw the fans give Boogaard a standing O. I think MSG is warming up to him.

After the Rangers poured it on, the Edm contingency were sitting stonefaced like as if to say..."What just happened?" Then the jeers started...And there was one guy on the Radar for the Edm fans. That was Avery. One guy was really giving it to him..."Somebody hit Avery eh!"..."Hey Avery you're so tough, why don't you fight Stortini!?"...Traveling across North America to see your team get beaten up physically, and on the scoreboard is going to take it's tolL. It was good too see that as annoyed as they were they still didn't cross the line with all the kids there. They kept it clean, and my hats off to them again for that. Being there is no better scapegoat than the oppsing teams agitator to take it out on. Avery was the new focus, again this was all before the hit, and fight to follow. Then...Fraser gets crushed. Followed by..."whoooa that was Avery. Get him!" When Smid went over to him the whole section was on it's feet. It was the retribution they were looking for to leave the game with something positive. Then when Avery refused at first it was ..."That's right Avery, your so tough etc etc.." and then it happended. The punch that sent disgust and put the nail in the coffin for the Edmonton contingency. "KA-BAM!" Down goes Smid, and the place goes crazy...this time it's the Ranger fan contingency. "Avery" chants erupt and to send the place into an even bigger frenzy, the line brawl ensues. And at this point, people were literally starting to say, "this is the best game I have been to in years!" Even with the fighting and what not the kids were still absolutlely loving it, so were the parents...So was Cyndi Lauper! And to at least pick the spirits up from the Canadien brethren at the game, they at least got to see thier boys show up for thier fallen teammate with the reaction. On a side note that kind of reaction you wouldn't see from last years Rangers team.

I left there thinking to myself this team still has the same core as last years team, but has a much different feel to it. They are good, and IMO good enough to compete this year in the East. They are physically imposing, and they can score goals especially when the biug gun is back in the lineup.

On final word on the Avery incident.

At the game it appeared to be a fair fight. Smid challenged, and it looked like Avery wanted to gaod him into a penalty, but then decided to fight. Maybe my view was skewed with my beer goggles at that time. Later when I got him I watched it a few times over. What I think is wrong with it is very simply put...Avery didn't abide by "the Code". Smid challenged, Avery hesitated and then decided to go. I only fault Avery for trying to goad him first. But...For Smid, who isn't the biggest fighter he really is a perfect example of if you challenge a guy to a fight, you better get ready to get smacked in the chops. He did get turned around, but I think he was waiting for the prototypical grab the jersey. Avery went straight in for the kill with a punch, and Smid wasn't ready and paid the price.

This incident reminds me of a lesser version of the Dale Purinton/Eric Cairns incident. If anyone remembers that one Purinton got the jump on Cairns and dropped him with a quick right hand. Cairns went down, but Purinton the sick ******* that he was kept punching. I didn't like Purinton actions for hitting him while he was down, but what happened in the next matchup made me sick. Purinton turtled when Cairns went after him.

For this incident, Avery didn't continue to throw punches. But what is unfortunate is these two clubs don't meet for an eternity now.

Lastly...Tom Renney still can't win a game in Madison Square Garden!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Nickolopolous

Perhaps both sides have been embellished, but the fact remains that it was an underhanded move by a guy who has shown time and time again that he's a snake. There are guys in the league that you love to hate (Tootoo, Carcillo, Ruutu etc.) but Avery is in a different class altogether. People despise him for the person he is, not just the things he does and says. He's unable to function beyond his own narcissism and that's what rubs people the wrong way. No amount of scrutiny, suspensions or treatment will change the fact that Avery is in love with Avery. He'll always be right in his eyes, and he'll always find reasons as to why his actions are justified.

Nickolopolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:33 AM
ranger_nick

wow in that picture kessel looks like corky from life goes on.

ranger_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolopolous View Post
Perhaps both sides have been embellished, but the fact remains that it was an underhanded move by a guy who has shown time and time again that he's a snake. There are guys in the league that you love to hate (Tootoo, Carcillo, Ruutu etc.) but Avery is in a different class altogether. People despise him for the person he is, not just the things he does and says. He's unable to function beyond his own narcissism and that's what rubs people the wrong way. No amount of scrutiny, suspensions or treatment will change the fact that Avery is in love with Avery. He'll always be right in his eyes, and he'll always find reasons as to why his actions are justified.
Not even Avery lovers like myself will argue he isn't a narcissistic freak. That's probably the only thing I don't like about him.

11-15-2010, 09:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Everyone enjoyed it, including Chris Meloni from Law and Order who was sporting his Black Fidora! I don't watch that show, but he was a cool guy.
Christopher Meloni is the reason why I watch SVU, guy's great.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

EC reminds me of Tobey Maguire... and I HATE him.

EC should shut is cowardly mouth.... he should be moved asap.

I read the ESPN article before I saw the brawl (missed the game, unfortunately), and they made Avery out to be SUCH a cheapshot, artist. Only interviewed Oilers.....

God, I hate ESPN more and more and more every day...

Last edited by KreiMeARiver: 11-15-2010 at 10:06 AM.
KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:02 AM
mullichicken25

ridiculous backlash for the avery fight

watch the replay...nothing was dirty

watch Smid's stick a couple seconds before it happened...he kept going and kept asking for it, avery dropped the gloves, so did he, then he moved backwards and flinched, then lights out

when you continue to instigate a fight you should be ready to fight the whole time

he expected avery to puss out...and avery caught him sleeping

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Dubinsky recieved a fine because of his actions from the bench yesterday, according to Zipay. http://twitter.com/stevezipay

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:05 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The way I see it, if you challenge a guy to a fight for a clean hit, then you get a bomb in the face, oh well.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

- Rumors Dubinsky fined for NYR-Edm melee. But apparently no suspensions. And what about Christensen saying it was a sucker punch by Avery?

- Christensen was speaking honestly. But it could get him in trouble within framework of the team.

----------------------------

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:19 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Please tell me the only person that actually got fined yesterday was Dubi...please?

EDIT- and my opinion hasn't changed since last night...**** EC, what a bad move.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Bardof425*

I cannot believe any Ranger fan is defending Smid or the Oilers. Avery lays a good clean hit along the boards and because he is Sean Avery this idiot Smid challenges him. Avery has done nothing wrong and this mope wants to fight. You think Smid would have received an instigator if they went right away? Not a chance in hell!!! If you challenge someone to a fight, you better stay ready. The fact that this mope relaxed is his fault and he deserved to get decked. Also, when Aves drops the gloves, Smid is looking right at him. So to suggest Avery somehow blindsided him is absolute crap. F-the Oilers and F-the Canadian commenters who are still carrying Dion Phanuef's water. The whole lot of them need to toughen up and stop whining about Sean's antics.

As for the charge that Avery was laughing at the Oiler's bench, the video clearly shows him complaining to the refs for getting tossed until Whitney starts yapping him on the way to the tunnel. So, the Oilers made that ***** up. The whole thing could have been avoided if the rest of the Oilers acted like Fraser who took the hit without any complaints.

Hey, EC and Ranger fans: Back your guy and never admit nothing. that's how we do it NY.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
speak for yourself.

Dave Maloney is absolutely awful to listen to. He makes no sense whatsoever when he talks. Starts a sentence talking about one thing, finishes talking about another, with no segue whatsoever. Says "in the mean time" all the damn time, and talks like hes suffered quite a few head injuries.

Don't get me wrong, his opinions are usually spot on, and hes no nonsense and fair, but hes unable to articulate his thoughts in a way that's comprehensible to any English speaking person.

Personally I like Sam and Joe. I dont mind John Giannone whatsoever. I can't stand Mike Crisipino or the Sports Archeologist though.
Very much so.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Davebo
beep beep

The replay on TSN shows SMID challenging, Avery looks away, shakes his head no, Smid starts skating away and Avery jumped him then.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Pizza

There is a simple code. It's called unit integrity.

Guess EC did not get the memo.

I don't care how he feels about Avery, personally or other wise.

He should have kept his mouth shut at the very least.

He's done as a Ranger IMO. Show him the door asap.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:02 AM
NYR425

Smid was looking at Avery and had dropped a glove before the punch..

Last edited by NYR425: 11-15-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: made mistake
NYR425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:03 AM
strumwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
The replay on TSN shows SMID challenging, Avery looks away, shakes his head no, Smid starts skating away and Avery jumped him then.

Bury your heads in the sand up to your *****, it won't change that Avery pulled a punk move, and you all know it.

Maybe but Smid still dropped the gloves and regardless of whether he was "ready" it shows intention.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:04 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo...0062466611.jpg

He's not looking right at him before the punch is on its way?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolopolous View Post
To put Avery in the same league as some of those guys is just ridiculous.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:23 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
This incident reminds me of a lesser version of the Dale Purinton/Eric Cairns incident. If anyone remembers that one Purinton got the jump on Cairns and dropped him with a quick right hand. Cairns went down, but Purinton the sick ******* that he was kept punching. I didn't like Purinton actions for hitting him while he was down, but what happened in the next matchup made me sick. Purinton turtled when Cairns went after him.

For this incident, Avery didn't continue to throw punches. But what is unfortunate is these two clubs don't meet for an eternity now.
I actually thought back to that incident too. Both Purinton and Carcillo (in the Bradley fight that was mentioned somewhere within this board at some point) were more at fault. Not an honorable way to fight by Avery, but certainly not the worst. And certainly, a case where his reputation played a factor into people's opinions.

Button was completely out of line calling Avery an idiot and saying his teammates are now forced to fight because of him going after Smid like that. Avery, far from the best teammate in the world, was the guy who dropped his gloves in Boston with Stuart after Stuart leveled Fedotenko.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:48 AM
GAGLine

I didn't get to watch the game (I was at the Giants debacle), but from the video, this is how I see it:

Avery hit Fraser cleanly. Fraser got up and skated away, back into the play. So he clearly wasn't upset at the hit.

Smid came over and gave Avery a bump, but Avery didn't take the bait. Both players looked back and forth between the play and each other.

Smid pushed his stick at Avery's stick and was still talking, trying to get Avery to fight. Smid was looking at him the whole time from when Avery threw off his gloves to when the punch landed.

I don't know what Smid said to him, but if you're trying to start a fight, don't be surprised when you get one. If Smid was expecting Avery to play nice and wait for him to drop his gloves, then he doesn't know Sean Avery.

After that, it should have been over, but Whitney was there jawing at Avery, and then Peckham skated over from the bench while Avery was walking into the tunnel, igniting several more fights.

On the surface, it doesn't seem like Avery really did anything wrong, but at that point in the game, he should have just skated away. What's more concerning is that his teammates didn't seem to be too happy about it (Cally and EC in particular). I hope that's not a sign of problems, or the start of problems, in the locker room.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:02 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorchris View Post
Callahan's reaction when Avery was heading down the tunnel is what gives me most cause for concern about the potentially divisive effect Avery can have on a team; he didn't look happy about what Avery did - he sure wasn't giving him a 'atta boy' stick tap. As Callahan is the closest thing to a C we have right now, that can't be a good thing.

The fact that Smid looks like a 13 year old boy doesn't help, but Avery definitely bent the code here; Smid was getting set when Avery belted him - the position of his feet in the still give it away. It wasn't a full blown sucker punch, and if Avery was fighting someone who utterly deserved it (Carcillo, Ruutu, Clarkson, Cooke et al) after one of them had pulled some douchebaggery early on in the game, I don't think anyone would care... but Smid's a pretty upstanding chap, was standing up for a teammate (after a clean hit, admittedly), and seemed to accept Avery's "wait, not now" spiel, instead of instigating it.

I dunno, I guess it just feels like there wasn't much of a point to Avery's antics this game - Rangers clearly had the game in hand, and the Oilers aren't enough of a rival to start sending a message. I'm his biggest fan, when his agitation serves a point - i.e. in any rivalry game, especially vs Brodeur/Kovalchuk, but not with 5 minutes to go when the Rangers are comfortably winning against a team they rarely face.
Smid wanted some and he got some. You instigate after a clean hit, you get what you ask for. He's dealing with Sean Avery. And I'm sure he has heard of him once or twice. Just because he's a "good lad" doesn't mean Avery will stop being Avery. What I'm saying is, don't start none, won't be none. I've seen this sort of thing a million times. Not all fights start with some long drawn out foreplay. Sometimes you go at it hard and heavy... and occasionally it's over in a few seconds. Sometimes somebody complains. Sometimes somebody takes a nap.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
lbrowne

So it looks like the comments EC made were handled internally, according to Gross.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
So it looks like the comments EC made were handled internally, according to Gross.
Hopefully Avery beat the **** out of that glorified AHLer.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hopefully Avery beat the **** out of that glorified AHLer.
Waive EC, Maybe that will teach him to shut his mouth.

I don't want him as a Ranger now

**** EC

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote