HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill VIII

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2010, 11:23 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
I still don't think DL would let him go, even if his price was 4M. The core is solidified, and he's part of it.

On side note, if Simmonds got top 6 minutes, and PP time (like he should IMO), Wayne could put up 60 points.

Old
11-15-2010, 11:24 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

$4M is way more than I'd like to pay for him, though losing him would seriously suck. Tough decision.

Old
11-15-2010, 11:43 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I still don't think DL would let him go, even if his price was 4M. The core is solidified, and he's part of it.

On side note, if Simmonds got top 6 minutes, and PP time (like he should IMO), Wayne could put up 60 points.
the 'core' will likely always be considered the cornerstone players - the Captain, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick/Bernier, and probably another defender... most notably, Johnson.

Simmonds is a player, who like a few others, are just on the outside of that... what is identifiable enough in Wayne's game that Kyle Clifford won't realize, say?

those are the questions you'd have to ask especially when you're considering Lombardi's layering system, and something that would be quickly punctuated should a $4Million dollar offer surface.

as far as your side note goes, you may be able to say that about a handful of players on the current roster as it stands today. the same can be said of Parse, Lewis and Richardson, all of whom have shown offensive flair at points of their respective careers as well.

my argument which can either be taken for or against Simmonds is that i had read several posts both here and there about Wayne becoming a 30-goal guy or whatever, and i mentioned that with the addition of Ponikarovsky and his insertion onto that line, Alexander Frolov's absence would be evident when looked at from a broader perspective, and that i believe we'd all end up surprised if that line bags 30 collectively... as it stands, i think Simmonds is going to be hard-pressed to hit 20 goals. a player like him, the way his game is right now, needs those 3rd, 4th and 5th opportunities at the net that a player like Frolov provides... and 'like' meaning a puck possession player who buys time in the offensive zone.

now i'm not saying that a line of Poni-Zus-Simmonds won't be able to hem defenses in down low. their collective size, strength and skill should earn them plenty of plus battles. BUT, you WILL see many MANY more one and out shifts from that line simply due to the difference in the way Poni and Fro pursue and recover pucks in the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
$4M is way more than I'd like to pay for him, though losing him would seriously suck. Tough decision.
i would think his number has got to be somewhere between Ladd and Larose.

Old
11-15-2010, 12:02 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
the 'core' will likely always be considered the cornerstone players - the Captain, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick/Bernier, and probably another defender... most notably, Johnson.

Simmonds is a player, who like a few others, are just on the outside of that... what is identifiable enough in Wayne's game that Kyle Clifford won't realize, say?

those are the questions you'd have to ask especially when you're considering Lombardi's layering system, and something that would be quickly punctuated should a $4Million dollar offer surface.

as far as your side note goes, you may be able to say that about a handful of players on the current roster as it stands today. the same can be said of Parse, Lewis and Richardson, all of whom have shown offensive flair at points of their respective careers as well.

my argument which can either be taken for or against Simmonds is that i had read several posts both here and there about Wayne becoming a 30-goal guy or whatever, and i mentioned that with the addition of Ponikarovsky and his insertion onto that line, Alexander Frolov's absence would be evident when looked at from a broader perspective, and that i believe we'd all end up surprised if that line bags 30 collectively... as it stands, i think Simmonds is going to be hard-pressed to hit 20 goals. a player like him, the way his game is right now, needs those 3rd, 4th and 5th opportunities at the net that a player like Frolov provides... and 'like' meaning a puck possession player who buys time in the offensive zone.

now i'm not saying that a line of Poni-Zus-Simmonds won't be able to hem defenses in down low. their collective size, strength and skill should earn them plenty of plus battles. BUT, you WILL see many MANY more one and out shifts from that line simply due to the difference in the way Poni and Fro pursue and recover pucks in the corner.

i would think his number has got to be somewhere between Ladd and Larose.
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, but perhaps I see more upside in Simmonds than most. And No, I don't think he'll score 20/30 goals this season, but if actually put in a scoring role, he would; that's the point I was trying to get across with my side note.

Regardless, I think he'll end up signing a deal similar to Brown's.

Old
11-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Duc620

One of the reasons the Kings have always been the team they have always been (before Lombardi) is because we had management that thought it was easy to plug players in and out of a team.

We've just spent 4 years building a TEAM and are just now enjoying the benefits of the build. Finally watching how a TEAM (Oct 2010) plays together and for each other. How a TEAM beats teams with plug in players.

Great TEAMS, legendary TEAMS, keep third and fourth liners who have grown up in the organization. Not just guys who drop in for a season and then leave or are easily replaced. Third and fourth liners are just as important as first and second liners. Any one of them can win or lose a playoff game with just one play.

You keep your winners, the guys who fit - and Simmonds is a winner - and trade or waive the guys who don't fit. Zus and Williams are perfect examples of guys who would have been traded one or two years too early in previous regimes.

There's a reason it's called "Fantasy" Hockey. But we don't play in that league.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:00 PM
damacles1156

Silly, Simmer is not going to ask for a four million dollar cap hit. Knowing Full well that would ship him out of LA. Jeff Carter only asked for 5.5M

Old
11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Mattias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Seems like if someone offer-sheeted Simmonds $4M+, DL would take the picks and run.
Completely agree.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

No way in hell Simmonds get even close to 4. He is a 2-2.5 million player. I bet DL tries to bring him in under 2 and settles for 2-2.25.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Completely agree.
The Offer sheet has to be accepted, The only teams that can afford to Offer Simmer 4m are bottom feeders. Simmer would simply decline the offer sheet.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Silly, Simmer is not going to ask for a four million dollar cap hit. Knowing Full well that would ship him out of LA. Jeff Carter only asked for 5.5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
No way in hell Simmonds get even close to 4. He is a 2-2.5 million player. I bet DL tries to bring him in under 2 and settles for 2-2.25.
if i'm not mistaken, the $4Million argument springboarded from the idea of another team tendering an offer sheet and whether or not Dean would walk. i don't think anyone honestly feels the Kings are going to offer him that much.

i said earlier that he'd probably be somewhere between Ladd and Larose, or between $1.7 - $2.35Million.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
if i'm not mistaken, the $4Million argument springboarded from the idea of another team tendering an offer sheet and whether or not Dean would walk. i don't think anyone honestly feels the Kings are going to offer him that much.

i said earlier that he'd probably be somewhere between Ladd and Larose, or between $1.7 - $2.35Million.
Once again the Offer sheet has to be accepted by Simmer. Just because a team offers 4m doesn't mean the Kings have to match it.

Simmer has to say Yes I like that offer sheet And sign it. Then the Kings have to match it. I don't think Simmer is too Keen on leaving the Kings for a bottom feeder.

Cause lets face it, A team Like Atlanta or NYI are the only teams that can Afford to pay Simmer 4m...

Old
11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Once again the Offer sheet has to be accepted by Simmer. Just because a team offers 4m doesn't mean the Kings have to match it.

Simmer has to say Yes I like that offer sheet And sign it. Then the Kings have to match it. I don't thing Simmer is too Keen on leaving the Kings for a bottom feeder.
i'm sure Vanek wasn't too keen on it either!

when you're a roughly $2Million dollar player, the idea of doubling your salary for the next few years can be very appealing... at 22/23 years old... even moreso if someone like the Leafs came calling... or a team where one of his best buddies plays, like Colorado.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
i'm sure Vanek wasn't too keen on it either!

when you're a roughly $2Million dollar player, the idea of doubling your salary for the next few years can be very appealing... at 22/23 years old... even moreso if someone like the Leafs came calling... or a team where one of his best buddies plays, like Colorado.
I doubt anyone would want to be in the Mess that is the Maple leafs. I bet Simmer has a lot of friends in the NHL. Doesn't mean he would like to play for another team.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
As long as Doughty is here, Simmonds is going to want to be here. They are BFF's.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:43 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

Fair enough. I don't match that offer.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:51 PM
wabwat

Quote:
I doubt anyone would want to be in the Mess that is the Maple leafs. I bet Simmer has a lot of friends in the NHL. Doesn't mean he would like to play for another team.

doesn't mean he wouldn't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
As long as Doughty is here, Simmonds is going to want to be here. They are BFF's.
so is Stewart in Colorado... he lives with them both in the summer.

Quote:
Fair enough. I don't match that offer.
i'd be really iffy about it as well.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
wicker

I don't think Lombardi would ever go as high as four in order to retain Simmer, even three would be pushing it (unless the term is over six years). That would be whackadoo.

Old
11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
northernKing

I'd be surprised if Simmonds got more than what Dubinsky ($1.85M) and Callahan $2.3M) got in their second contracts. Until he starts potting 20+ goals a season he is at the most a 2M a yr player.

Old
11-15-2010, 04:04 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I'd be surprised if Simmonds got more than what Dubinsky ($1.85M) and Callahan $2.3M) got in their second contracts. Until he starts potting 20+ goals a season he is at the most a 2M a yr player.
... He better find a way to score from the bench, because he's not gonna net 20 playing twelve minutes a game.

Old
11-15-2010, 04:05 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... He better find a way to score from the bench, because he's not gonna net 20 playing twelve minutes a game.

he also isn't going to do it without a playmaker.

Old
11-15-2010, 04:14 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It depends on length of contract though. If he signs short term (3 years or less), then the CAP hit will probably be somewhere around 2M. BUT, if DL wants to lock him up long term, it could get more expensive because the contract period would extend into his free agent years.

When Brown signed his current deal, his career high in points was 46 (16g, 30a). Although, that was Brown's third contract.

Old
11-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Nope.
I don't know, four million for Simmonds would be brutal. He's not worth that yet. I say a deal that works out to around 1.85 per for 3 years is fair.

Old
11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Mully12
John Jackson!

Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Seems like if someone offer-sheeted Simmonds $4M+, DL would take the picks and run.
As much as I love the way Simmonds plays and what he brings to the table... He isn't a $4M+ guy. So I'd also take the picks and run. Not hating on Simmonds, but right now, I wouldn't pay him 4M a year. Could he be worth that much later? Maybe.

Old
11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mully12 View Post
As much as I love the way Simmonds plays and what he brings to the table... He isn't a $4M+ guy. So I'd also take the picks and run. Not hating on Simmonds, but right now, I wouldn't pay him 4M a year. Could he be worth that much later? Maybe.
That's what i'm saying.

Old
11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mully12 View Post
Nobody is going to offer Simmer $4M. Milbury's an analyst now.

Closed Thread