HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gagne's Vision Problems

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
  #1
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Gagne's Vision Problems

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...037/story.html

Quote:
Gagne has vision problems

Simon Gagne doesn't have a concussion in Tampa Bay but he's having vision problems when he turns his head quickly. It sounds like too many blows to the head.

He's missed 10 games.

It's too bad that Gagne has become an accident waiting to happen. The Philadelphia Flyers were just as concerned about his medical history and $5.25-million contract when they traded him to the Lightning.
Mods: Please merge or delete if this has been covered. I didn't know Gagne had vision problems.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.
DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
  #2
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,969
vCash: 500
Didn't he have lasic or whatever that is a while back?

Then again, if his problems are concussion related I doubt that would help.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
  #3
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Didn't he have lasic or whatever that is a while back?

Then again, if his problems are concussion related I doubt that would help.
Yes he did. However, lasic is garbage.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:46 PM
  #4
DayoftheGreek
Registered User
 
DayoftheGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Yes he did. However, lasic is garbage.
Doesn't it have an insanely high success rate for people within normal vision impairments (as apposed to people with really, really terrible vision)?

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:48 PM
  #5
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Yes he did. However, lasic is garbage.
Please elaborate. I am considering getting this done. People I have talked to that had this done say nothing but great things about it.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:52 PM
  #6
ihatebraydenschenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SunnyvaleTrailerPark
Country: Canada
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
I'm going to the game on Thursday specifically to see Gagne. He better be skating.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:54 PM
  #7
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Definitely concussion-related. Said the issues happened whenever he turned his head too quickly. If it was an actual vision issue, it would be persistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
I'm going to the game on Thursday specifically to see Gagne. He better be skating.
I would highly doubt it. Sorry.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
  #8
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Please elaborate. I am considering getting this done. People I have talked to that had this done say nothing but great things about it.
If I were you I would stick to what people that have had it done have said about it instead of listening to the guy that doesn't know how to spell the procedure he is bashing.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
  #9
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,306
vCash: 156
this makes me sad, both as a gagne fan, and as general ****ing manager of my god-damned ****ing fantasy team.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:21 PM
  #10
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
Doesn't it have an insanely high success rate for people within normal vision impairments (as apposed to people with really, really terrible vision)?
I believe people are beginning to doubt Lasic as a long-term solution to poor eye sight because the eye will sometimes reverse to it's previous state over time, leading to a second surgery.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
  #11
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
this makes me sad, both as a gagne fan, and as general ****ing manager of my god-damned ****ing fantasy team.
I second this. I traded for Gagne in a deal involving Malkin. But in all seriousness, it's a shame the way things have gone for Gagne this season. Given the boot from his old organization, then more injuries sidelining him at his new organization. Tough break for a class act fella.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
  #12
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I believe people are beginning to doubt Lasic as a long-term solution to poor eye sight because the eye will sometimes reverse to it's previous state over time, leading to a second surgery.
I know of this from my research. Your eyes get progressively worse as you age, it's not that the procedure doesn't work. It's just a natural process of aging. As a person who has worn corrective lenses for 30 years, I can't tell you how great getting 5 or 10 years of perfect vision would be without having to put contacts on or wear glasses.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
  #13
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,231
vCash: 500
One article mentioned he was having neurological issues in his neck and I suggested it was quite possible those injections he was receiving a few years ago to speed up his recovery from the concussion symptoms may be linked. He was getting them in his neck area I believe and maybe now it's affecting his vision etc. The procedure was experimental as I recall and thus not proven although it aided him in the short term. Obviously, jury still out but I think it's a legit hypothesis to consider..

As far as laser eye surgery ..I had a very sharp eye doctor tell me that laser eye surgery could complicate issues with surgery if you get glaucoma later in life. Something about thining the lens but maybe now that is not the case. She mentioned a more invasive surgery was better but don't recall the specifics...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:57 PM
  #14
ihatebraydenschenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SunnyvaleTrailerPark
Country: Canada
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I would highly doubt it. Sorry.
It's all your fault, I hate you.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
  #15
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
One article mentioned he was having neurological issues in his neck and I suggested it was quite possible those injections he was receiving a few years ago to speed up his recovery from the concussion symptoms may be linked. He was getting them in his neck area I believe and maybe now it's affecting his vision etc. The procedure was experimental as I recall and thus not proven although it aided him in the short term. Obviously, jury still out but I think it's a legit hypothesis to consider..

As far as laser eye surgery ..I had a very sharp eye doctor tell me that laser eye surgery could complicate issues with surgery if you get glaucoma later in life. Something about thining the lens but maybe now that is not the case. She mentioned a more invasive surgery was better but don't recall the specifics...
He was getting shots? I thought it was just acupuncture to relieve muscle tension. I'm guessing I just misremembered.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
  #16
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,103
vCash: 769
love Gagne & all, and hope he can recover, but Homer knew what he was doing when he traded him

I could just imaging all the ***** about Gagne if he was still playing for us and this was going on

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:52 PM
  #17
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
love Gagne & all, and hope he can recover, but Homer knew what he was doing when he traded him

I could just imaging all the ***** about Gagne if he was still playing for us and this was going on
I've been having that same feeling for a while now.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:52 PM
  #18
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
He was getting shots? I thought it was just acupuncture to relieve muscle tension. I'm guessing I just misremembered.
Yup...here is the therapy. Supposedly, it's a innovative treatment and he got it for his groin or was it knee problem last year too. It's possible it's ok when it comes to doing injections in the lower body but maybe not a good idea in the neck like Gagne got. Anti-inflammatories are no joke.

edit...he got the injections in the head too and actually it was an inflammatory agent with an anesthetic as noted below. Who knows if that crap causes side effects up in that area...

Quote:
SWEET RELIEF

While heeding Dr.Kelly's advice of rest and relaxation by toiling many hours on the couch watching TV, Simon happened to catch a local news segment on Scott Greenberg MD of the Magaziner Center for Wellness in Cherry Hill, NJ. Greenberg was discussing his specialty: prolotherapy.

A few days later, after consulting with Flyers athletic trainer Jim McCrossin, Simon was in Dr.Greenberg's office.

What is prolotherapy?

"A series of pinpointed shots that help heal nerve damage, spark the bodies immune system, regenerate damaged tissue and strengthen the joints. With prolotherapy, you get pinpoint therapy to the area that is damaged. You don't just get a blanket treatment. It is like getting surgery without getting cut open," according to the New Jersey-based doctor.

Dr. Greenberg, one of the leading prolotherapy specialists in the country, treated Gagne once a week in April and May with a series of 30-50 shots per session targeted to the joints in the neck, head and upper back. The shots combine two anesthetics with an inflammatory agent.

Gagne credits the treatments with allowing him to progress from chronic headaches to feeling OK to being cleared to play in time for 2008 training camp.

"After the first treatment, I saw the result right away. I think prolotherapy was a large factor in me being able to come back this year," said Gagne.

http://www.hockeybarn.com/columns/view.htm?article=110


Last edited by FreshPerspective: 11-15-2010 at 08:14 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:10 PM
  #19
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
love Gagne & all, and hope he can recover, but Homer knew what he was doing when he traded him

I could just imaging all the ***** about Gagne if he was still playing for us and this was going on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I've been having that same feeling for a while now.
I was convinced that Gagne was going to rebound and have a big year this year, and was pretty vocal to all my friends about it...and on this board.

So far, my foot tastes pretty delicious.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
  #20
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I was convinced that Gagne was going to rebound and have a big year this year, and was pretty vocal to all my friends about it...and on this board.

So far, my foot tastes pretty delicious.
I wasn't so vocal about it, but that's mostly because my mouth was occupied at the time from previous predictions. I thought he was going to do well too. Whatever, he's still pretty damn baller, and nobody is gonna tell me different.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:15 PM
  #21
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,330
vCash: 500
Visual deficits with quick head turns may be due to vestibular system problem, otherwise known as vertigo. It can be related to concussions.

I have missed Simon much, now I just wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:16 PM
  #22
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
love Gagne & all, and hope he can recover, but Homer knew what he was doing when he traded him

I could just imaging all the ***** about Gagne if he was still playing for us and this was going on
Ding ding ding. I think not just Homer, but other players/GMs. I mean come on, just look at him down there. It's obvious something hasn't been right.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:43 PM
  #23
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Atleast we have Walker.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
  #24
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Ding ding ding. I think not just Homer, but other players/GMs. I mean come on, just look at him down there. It's obvious something hasn't been right.
At the same time, he was stellar for us after the Olympics and into the playoffs (broken foot and all).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:41 AM
  #25
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,306
vCash: 156
yeah, i'm not convinced Homer or the other GMs knew he was going to hit the boards weird and be sidelined forever.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.