HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Thoughts and Prayers for Luke Richardson/Family

Old
11-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Flyguys22

vCash: 500
Thoughts and Prayers for Luke Richardson/Family

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5803294

Even though we play Ottawa tonight, my thoughts and prayers go out to former Flyer dman/current assistant coach of the Sens Luke Richardson for his lose.

Once a Flyer...always a Flyer

Last edited by Flyguys22: 11-15-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Flyguys22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:46 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
I wouldn't be shocked if the Flyers held a moment of silence tonight prior to the game but that is likely determined by the wishes of the family.

As an aside, we've been discussing this in the NHL sticky thread.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-15-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Typo
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
That is absolutely terrible. That's like the worst possible thing that could happen to someone in life. I read the other day that she died, thought she was sick with something. That's nauseating in a profound sadness sort of way. Thoughts and condolences with the family indeed, hopefully they get all the support they need.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
kicksave27

I liked Luke, he was "one punch luke" for a while after he took some fighting lessons.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:51 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I was always a fan of Luke, and no parent should ever have to go through this. My thoughts go out to his family. Just unimaginable as to what they're going through right now.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:28 PM
infidelappel*

Awful, awful to hear. My thoughts are certainly with Luke and his family; he has always been a good guy.

Why did she do it, though? It's an awful tragedy, for sure, but one has to wonder what went on to cause her to go to that extreme.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I liked Luke, he was "one punch luke" for a while after he took some fighting lessons.
how in the bloddy hell is that relavant to his daughter dying for Christ sakes?

anyway, thoughts and prayers to the entire Richardson family. You should never, ever have to bury a child. Especially one so young and a full life ahead of them.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Awful, awful to hear. My thoughts are certainly with Luke and his family; he has always been a good guy.

Why did she do it, though? It's an awful tragedy, for sure, but one has to wonder what went on to cause her to go to that extreme.
Who knows? If she was serious about suicide and no one ever thought something was up then she probably kept her reasons secret and/or just no one ever noticed why.

At that age though, teens are more susceptible to emotions and hormones though so that could have been part of it.

I've been suicidal before and it's just different for everybody.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Terrible, my thoughts and prayers go out for the Richardson family.

I could not even fathom, how to cope with such a loss. Let alone your own child.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:51 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Who knows? If she was serious about suicide and no one ever thought something was up then she probably kept her reasons secret and/or just no one ever noticed why.

At that age though, teens are more susceptible to emotions and hormones though so that could have been part of it.

I've been suicidal before and it's just different for everybody.
Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but my understanding was that it's pretty rare for this sort of thing to happen with no warning signs or reasoning behind it. I highly doubt even the most hormonal and emotional teen girl is that likely to just off herself because of a bad day.

I'm just wondering what could have happened to cause it. Bullying at school, some kind of problems, what? It's an awful tragedy, and anytime a youth decides to cut their life short, I think it's important to try to understand why. The better everyone can understand these issues, then (hopefully) the more avoidable they become.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Very sad for Luke and his family. Suicides are insanely ****ed up. I have nothing but fond memories of Luke.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but my understanding was that it's pretty rare for this sort of thing to happen with no warning signs or reasoning behind it. I highly doubt even the most hormonal and emotional teen girl is that likely to just off herself because of a bad day.

I'm just wondering what could have happened to cause it. Bullying at school, some kind of problems, what? It's an awful tragedy, and anytime a youth decides to cut their life short, I think it's important to try to understand why. The better everyone can understand these issues, then (hopefully) the more avoidable they become.
I'm from the suicide capital of the world at the moment, you might of seen in the news. Bridgend, south wales. They will never understand the reasons. It's getting a bit crazy now. I have no respect for someone that does it, I don't care if people hate me for it. When it's your best friend,sister, brother, mother, father ect you might understand why.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I'm from the suicide capital of the world at the moment, you might of seen in the news. Bridgend, south wales. They will never understand the reasons. It's getting a bit crazy now. I have no respect for someone that does it, I don't care if people hate me for it. When it's your best friend,sister, brother, mother, father ect you might understand why.
Well, there's two different ways at looking at that sort of tragedy. I understand the view that suicide is a selfish and inexcusable way to do things, but there are reasons that people do these things that ought to be understood. I think anyone that does it generally is obviously in need of help, and trying to understand the warning signs in order to get these people that attention is the only real way to prevent it...nobody can ever truly understand the place that you'd have to be in to do it, but trying to will hopefully prevent it from happening as often as it does...

Old
11-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
It's pretty rare for all of that, yes. Just because there's warning signs doesn't mean people notice them though and teenage girls aren't the most rational thinking people at times.

My point is that I doubt even her family knows why she killed herself (unless she left a note or something). People who are serious about committing suicide don't try to let others know that they may be suicidal.

Quote:
I highly doubt the dead care what random people think of them. That's one of the benefits of being dead.

Quote:
Well, there's two different ways at looking at that sort of tragedy. I understand the view that suicide is a selfish and inexcusable way to do things, but there are reasons that people do these things that ought to be understood. I think anyone that does it generally is obviously in need of help, and trying to understand the warning signs in order to get these people that attention is the only real way to prevent it...nobody can ever truly understand the place that you'd have to be in to do it, but trying to will hopefully prevent it from happening as often as it does...
I don't think it's inexcusable and I think it's just as selfish to want to keep someone around who genuinely does not want to be around.

Suicide is a life choice (yes, I realize the pun there). Besides, being selfish isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's good to be selfish every once in a blue moon.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:09 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's pretty rare for all of that, yes. Just because there's warning signs doesn't mean people notice them though and teenage girls aren't the most rational thinking people at times.

My point is that I doubt even her family knows why she killed herself (unless she left a note or something). People who are serious about committing suicide don't try to let others know that they may be suicidal.

I highly doubt the dead care what random people think of them. That's one of the benefits of being dead.

I don't think it's inexcusable and I think it's just as selfish to want to keep someone around who genuinely does not want to be around.

Suicide is a life choice (yes, I realize the pun there). Besides, being selfish isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's good to be selfish every once in a blue moon.
Well, her family may well know why she did it, which is why I'm curious to hear more about the tragedy. Again, I'm no expert on the subject so I do not have data prepared, and if anyone DOES I would love to see if it if proves what I'm about to say to be incorrect, but my understanding is that even the people who actually do it usually have some kind of cry for help first. If those signs aren't recognized or ignored, that's a problem, and that's why I'm curious if there's anything else known about what the signs may have been, if there were any. Generally, I'd say any time something like this happens, there is a significant lesson to be learned.

And being selfish on occasion is beneficial, sure....but usually not when those decisions hurt everyone around you.

Old
11-15-2010, 05:38 PM
ChrisM

Send a message via MSN to ChrisM
I'm 16, and live in Brockville, very close to Ottawa, and this made rounds around my school, as I had very many mutual friends with her. This is just utterly shocking. I finally caught on when someone said "Her dad coaches with the Sens, Luke.." and my heart just sunk. My thoughts and prayers go out to Luke and his whole family. RIP Daron <3.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:48 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
That's such a bummer. Always is when this wort of thing happens.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:54 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I'm 16, and live in Brockville, very close to Ottawa, and this made rounds around my school, as I had very many mutual friends with her. This is just utterly shocking. I finally caught on when someone said "Her dad coaches with the Sens, Luke.." and my heart just sunk. My thoughts and prayers go out to Luke and his whole family. RIP Daron <3.
We all hope for the best for everyone involved.

Old
11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Extremely sad, this is why you have to teach kids that all the BS in their life is magnified way out of proportion and will come to pass. Nothing you're going through at 14 is insurmountable.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
ChrisM

Send a message via MSN to ChrisM
Right now, the reasoning is not known. There was absolutely no speculation here. She was a pretty happy person, very pretty, popular, loved her family, nobody saw it coming, which made the shock alot worse.

ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
BringBackStevens

That sucks really bad. Luke always seemed like a great guy

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Black Ice

Quote:
And that is exactly one of the reasons that people don't seek help; the stigma around mental/emotional illness is very strong.

Prayers go out to the Richardson family.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Flyers' radio, including Chris Therien, is discussing this now. Therien "Luke is a terrific family man, and a great friend. His wife Stephanie is too (a friend)."

Therien and his wife are going to the memorial service in/near Ottawa.

Old
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Start Leighton*

My condolences to Luke and his family.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.ht...pid=rss-brodie

Quote:
Following tonight's game against the Flyers at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, the Senators will return to Ottawa instead of carrying on to Raleigh, N.C., for the next stop on their four-game road trip. That flight is being delayed until Wednesday, so the Senators can attend the Celebration of Life service that morning at Scotiabank Place for Daron Richardson, the 14-year-old daughter of assistant coach Luke Richardson, who died tragically on the weekend.

"To a man, (we thought) it was the right thing to do," captain Daniel Alfredsson said of the team's decision to return home to show their support for the Richardson family. "We want to be there for their family and help them out in any way we can. As far as the road trip goes, we'll just take it as it comes.

"This is an issue that's more important than the game and I'm sure we'll find enough energy to play that night and I think it might even be a good thing for the team."

The Senators had to obtain National Hockey League permission to travel to Raleigh on the day of the game against the Hurricanes, but that has already been granted. There were certainly no doubts about it in the team's dressing room.