HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller Hockey Wheels Question

Old
11-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Brizz5

vCash: 500
Roller Hockey Wheels Question

The second to last wheels on both of my skates are pretty much ripped up to the point where I can't use them for a game tomorrow night. (I use these as my back wheel when I play street).

Since I need to run to the store tomorrow to grab wheels, I was wondering: I'm looking to make a transfer into soft wheels (I play in an indoor league on sport court). I'm a fairly large guy (6'1, 200 lbs) and was too afraid of using soft wheels in case I got the "flat tire" effect. However, a team mate of mine about the same size was wearing new soft wheels last game and said they felt great, so I'm ready to make the switch.

I'm thinking instead of buying a new set of soft wheels, is it a good idea to just buy two new soft wheels and place them on the boot as my last wheel, as a "test drive"? I'm afraid this is not a good idea, as the rest of my boot uses wheels about 76A.

I use Labeda all-purpose grippers as my 76's and Mission 76A wheels as my 80's. (Hi-Lo)
The soft wheel I would place as my back wheels are Labeda X-Soft Grippers.

Anyway, in case you are confused, my main question is: Is it a bad idea to mix the harder wheels with a soft?

Thank you in advance for any tips and help.

Last edited by Brizz5: 11-18-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Brizz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 08:55 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizz5 View Post
Is it a bad idea to mix the harder wheels with a soft?
Not necessarily. However, you won't get a feel for the softer wheels if you only change out the rear.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Brizz5

Well, I ended up getting two Labeda X-Soft Grippers and put them on as my back wheel.

I definently could feel the wheel grip the rink alot better. I could stop, turn, switch to forward and backwards, and change direction so much better than with all hard wheels.

However, I felt like skating took almost double as much muscle (I knew it would happen with softer wheels). It's going to take time getting used to that before I go and switch my whole set to x-soft.

Brizz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:24 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizz5 View Post
Well, I ended up getting two Labeda X-Soft Grippers and put them on as my back wheel.

I definently could feel the wheel grip the rink alot better. I could stop, turn, switch to forward and backwards, and change direction so much better than with all hard wheels.
Nice. Whatever works, right?

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
homersimpson

Not offering help on the softness, but I learned to clean my wheels with acetone. It helps restore the tackiness of the wheels.

homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:44 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by homersimpson View Post
Not offering help on the softness, but I learned to clean my wheels with acetone. It helps restore the tackiness of the wheels.
Are you sure it's not the acetone breaking down the urethane that's making the wheels tacky?

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:23 PM
doobie604

for hi-lo setup, i like going with softer wheels front and back for turns and harder wheels in the middle for speed. also not all same hardness wheels are the same, the higher end ones will usually last longer and feel stickier.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:04 PM
BamBamCam*

Depends on the surface you are playing on. Sportcourt? finished concrete? tar?

If you let me know, I can help you out.

I have several pairs of skates depending what I play on and they generally DO not mix.

I use 60s for sportcourt and never use them on anything else. You use 60s on the street (tar pavement) and it will rip them to shreds.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
homersimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
Are you sure it's not the acetone breaking down the urethane that's making the wheels tacky?
The wheels seem to be holding up and I got this tip from an other guy that has been doing this for a long time. I am a big guy so I need the extra grip without buying a new set of wheels every other month.

homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote