HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ottawa @ Boston | 7PM | CBC | Mission Complete! 2-0 Sens Win!

Old
11-14-2010, 03:24 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipee View Post
Elliot rocks and should start. (This coming from a guy who's ex gf dated the guy). Goooo Ellzers! I'd be happy if Leclaire assumed a backup, 10 game role for the rest of the season.
Ummm good?

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Bilbo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
look it was a great game in all but we are going nowhere in the playoffs with such a weak defence. Just watch the Canucks right now they are a hard team to play against. And from what I saw in the game bostton finished every check while the Sens defence let wacks against elliot go unpunished. We need a Volchenkov...
I get that this post wasn't really too timely, but there is some truth to it. I keep thinking how we would fare if we had to play a 7 game series against Boston. I think they would just keep plastering us until they wore us down, and we don't have enough players who are large/physical/aggressive enough to match them.

It would help if Fisher was up to speed as he usually can play a pretty aggressive game. I don't know what his injury is, but i think the sens management should rest him until he is back to form. He isn't really helping right now.

Getting Kuba back helps a bit. He plays rather passively, but he is a big body and can hold his own when the play gets tough.

Anyway, just food for thought, although I agree the Senators played great tonight. It's just too bad it was on the stupid CBC, in glorious crappy definition (at least on Expressvu). I really hate Saturday games. I have centerice, and get nearly all the weekday games in hi-def..... OK, end of rant.

Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:47 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBunny View Post
That was great! I know we have a tough schedule ahead of us, but if we can beat Montreal and Boston, we can certainly eek out a respectable road record on this next stretch of games. Kuba may not be an impact player back there, but he certainly makes us look more organized and steady...hey...that's an impact...so, never mind.
This was the one game i was worried about more then the others games.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Good game and Elliott played great.

All the slagging of Leclair is really tiresome though.

I never notice any other fan base using a good game by one goalie to
demean the other goalie,but it seems to be a tradition here.

Elliott cant play all the games , I certainly hope at some point Leclair stays healthy enough and gets enough games to get rolling again as he will be needed at some point.
QFT. It's actually getting really annoying. I don't want Leclaire to fail even if I prefer Elliott by far. Even if he wasn't with the Sens, I don't want others to fail.

Leclaire probably hear all this "noise" and probably can't wait to get the ****-out of Ottawa.

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:35 AM
trentmccleary

Was Boston pushing us around last night? ... Cuz I didn't notice.

I swear the Ottawa Sun has people convinced that this is still Sens of the early decade with a bunch of small, inexperienced forwards up front and the same on defense before Chara & Volchenkov came in.

Ottawa has one of the biggest Top-6 forward groups in the NHL right now.
The Sens have a ferocious forecheck that teams hate playing against (it's been AWOL so far this season though..?).
Phillips & Carkner complete a D-corps that is just as tough the SCF's D-corps and for the most part bigger.
Contrary to misguided Ottawa Sun opinions there aren't all these big, bruising teams waiting to take our lunch money.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
QFT. It's actually getting really annoying. I don't want Leclaire to fail even if I prefer Elliott by far. Even if he wasn't with the Sens, I don't want others to fail.

Leclaire probably hear all this "noise" and probably can't wait to get the ****-out of Ottawa.
Exactly. People might want Elliott in the net, I know I do, but he is not going to be able to play 50 straight games. The Sens NEED Leclaire too. They need him to be ready and need him to play well when the time comes. People should be backing Leclaire in whatever roll he plays, right now that is the backup roll.

Saying Elliott is the better goaltender is a lot different than saying Leclaire sucks and should be sent down to The AHL. He's a 3.8 mil back up, so what? We have a 850K started.

The smartest thing Murray did in terms with goaltenders over the last couple years was signing Elliott to a deal that expired that same time as Leclaire. Murray has all the leverage in terms of what goalie he wants to keep, kind of a no brainer right now though.

Just to add, I think that Leclaire trade was still the right move to be made. The Sens may have "lost" the trade, even though Lehner may turn out to be the saving grace of it, but Murray went out and did what was best for the club. The Sens needed a goaltender with number 1 potential and Murray pulled the trigger. To this day there is nothing wrong with that trade. Even Jason York had an article on it today in The Sun.

People need to back both guys but I have no issue's hearing people say "ride Elliott" or "Elliott is a number 1". I have always thought he had that potential and his past shows he just gets better. Ottawa is in a pretty good position with 2 good goalies right now I just hope Leclaire can find the mental game he seems to be lacking.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:15 AM
SpezDispenser

I'm amused that people still even bring up Leclaire, who cares? Elliott is our number one goalie - end of story. We just have to hope Leclaire can hack it as back-up.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
A few big hits from Lucic and Regin taking his usual punishment. That's about it.

Kekumba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Exactly. People might want Elliott in the net, I know I do, but he is not going to be able to play 50 straight games. The Sens NEED Leclaire too. They need him to be ready and need him to play well when the time comes. People should be backing Leclaire in whatever roll he plays, right now that is the backup roll.

Saying Elliott is the better goaltender is a lot different than saying Leclaire sucks and should be sent down to The AHL. He's a 3.8 mil back up, so what? We have a 850K started.

The smartest thing Murray did in terms with goaltenders over the last couple years was signing Elliott to a deal that expired that same time as Leclaire. Murray has all the leverage in terms of what goalie he wants to keep, kind of a no brainer right now though.

Just to add, I think that Leclaire trade was still the right move to be made. The Sens may have "lost" the trade, even though Lehner may turn out to be the saving grace of it, but Murray went out and did what was best for the club. The Sens needed a goaltender with number 1 potential and Murray pulled the trigger. To this day there is nothing wrong with that trade. Even Jason York had an article on it today in The Sun.

People need to back both guys but I have no issue's hearing people say "ride Elliott" or "Elliott is a number 1". I have always thought he had that potential and his past shows he just gets better. Ottawa is in a pretty good position with 2 good goalies right now I just hope Leclaire can find the mental game he seems to be lacking.
Well, you're right, we probably didn't "win" the trade but I'm happy with it because :

- We got a 2nd rounder out of it which turned to be Robin Lehner who is IMO the best goalie prospect the Sens ever had. If he turns out to be Lundqvist v 2.0, how could someone regret that trade?

- We couldn't have had the luxury to pay Vermette (or Fisher) around 4M$ to be our 3rd line center.

Spezza-Vermette-Fisher = 15.0

People probably forgot that we had also had Heatley as a winger at 7.5 at that time. And if you add Alfie at 5.4, you understand that there was no space for both Fisher and Vermette.

Might as well trade him before losing him to UFA

Old
11-15-2010, 07:22 AM
GK
Not Jeeks

Where is today's GDT?

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

I swear the Ottawa Sun has people convinced that this is still Sens of the early decade with a bunch of small, inexperienced forwards up front and the same on defense before Chara & Volchenkov came in.

Ottawa has one of the biggest Top-6 forward groups in the NHL right now.
The Sens have a ferocious forecheck that teams hate playing against (it's been AWOL so far this season though..?).
Phillips & Carkner complete a D-corps that is just as tough the SCF's D-corps and for the most part bigger.
Contrary to misguided Ottawa Sun opinions there aren't all these big, bruising teams waiting to take our lunch money.
Look I am a die hard sens fan and am bias as any other but if anyone here HONESTLY beleives that this D-Corp's is any tougher than the one we had in 2007 is dreaming and that was a D that was absolutely destroyed against Anaheim. When I made my comment it was because I saw how Boston protected their net and their house while Ottawa could not. We had far more possession but if Elliot wasn't on his game this would be another loss. Along with a LWer and a 2C we definitely need a tough mobile Dman this summer. Through the Draft or via free-agency...

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Das Boot
Jajajaja

Quote:
Look I am a die hard sens fan and am bias as any other but if anyone here HONESTLY beleives that this D-Corp's is any tougher than the one we had in 2007 is dreaming and that was a D that was absolutely destroyed against Anaheim. When I made my comment it was because I saw how Boston protected their net and their house while Ottawa could not. We had far more possession but if Elliot wasn't on his game this would be another loss. Along with a LWer and a 2C we definitely need a tough mobile Dman this summer. Through the Draft or via free-agency...
Cowen.

Das Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:12 AM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner Fan Boy View Post
Cowen.
I don't mean to critisice but if Bryan Murray decides he's gonna let a rookie defencemen that may or may not turn out to be a good player be the missing cog on defence I would second guess his abilities. You can't have to tough of a defence and if Cowen were to compliment a vet I wouldn't mind but whether ppl on this board like to admit this or not (possibly after tonights game against Philly) we are not tough enough. It's my two cents and I won't be discussing this anymore as the win should be a positive however we have 4 primary needs this summer and cap space. How it unfolds will determine this team for the next few years. Checklist:
First Line LWer (plz stop with the Butler hype as he hasn't scored 1 NHL goal yet)
50-60pt Center
Mobile Rugged D-MAN
Goalie (depending on how Elliot plays in playoffs, I was old enough to remember Lalime's days)

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I don't mean to critisice but if Bryan Murray decides he's gonna let a rookie defencemen that may or may not turn out to be a good player be the missing cog on defence I would second guess his abilities. You can't have to tough of a defence and if Cowen were to compliment a vet I wouldn't mind but whether ppl on this board like to admit this or not (possibly after tonights game against Philly) we are not tough enough. It's my two cents and I won't be discussing this anymore as the win should be a positive however we have 4 primary needs this summer and cap space. How it unfolds will determine this team for the next few years. Checklist:
First Line LWer (plz stop with the Butler hype as he hasn't scored 1 NHL goal yet)
50-60pt Center
Mobile Rugged D-MAN
Goalie (depending on how Elliot plays in playoffs, I was old enough to remember Lalime's days)
The Detroit Red Wings aren't all that tough, they just win and that brings respect. I didn't mind our toughness against Boston...Neil dropped the gloves with Chara for christ sake.

This team isn't built perfectly, few are. And there often aren't better options out there other than from within (Cowen, perhaps eventually Gryba)...some teams wouldn't even have a 6'5 230 pound blue chipper waiting to fill a toughness role...lucky we do if toughness around the net is a problem. I thought Cowen was pretty active in that role as a 19 year old in his first true training camp.

I think your overreacting a little. I recall trent talking about how he liked our game from a toughness standpoint, so cue his rebuttle about the Ottawa Sun cult effect and what have you.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:08 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

So we need more grrrrrrrrrrrrit? I don't see it. What this poster is proposing is that we go back to having a big, slow, immobile defensive core again. We had arguably the biggest and toughest defense in the league last year and didn't really do sweet **** all, so why take a step backwards? While this group might not pound their opponents into the ground, they're making the other team chase them all around the ice like a chicken with their heads cut off.

Skill > toughness.

I do agree that we could use another D man who is more defensive minded, who kills penalties, blocks shots, plays the body etc. but its not a pressing matter. I believe we have the luxury of waiting for Cowen who is going to be exactly the type of player we need.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Xspyrit

Murray is gonna trade for Greg Zanon at some point...

Brian Lee + 4-5th round pick for Greg Zanon

Or something like that