HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miro Satan?

Old
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
It was the same thing with Guerin in a way. You can have a Kunitz on a first line as long as Guerin isn't on the other side - and vice-versa. Same thing with Kunitz and Dupuis - two perfect third wheels on a first or second line as long as you have a legit scorer on the wing.

But this is what we have. This is all we have, but people keep blasting the coach as if we have a ton of options to throw out there in their place, which is also why I love when I hear we should "stop playing a grinding style!!!".

??????

Yup, let's have these knuckleheads trying 3 passes through the neutral zone and see how many go back the other way
Only thing I have compained about DB for is the constant line juggling and the fact this team has pushed forth seemingly without an form of an identity or chemistry.

But anyways... With the other things you said, thats why I hope we offer the Vets we want to stick around fair, but cheaper contracts. If they do not want them... Sorry... Replace them with guys from the farm like Jeffrey, Johnson, or Sterling.

Then with the cap predicted/assumed to jump a little again, then use all the save/new money to bring in at least one solid 30+ scorer and lock him in that top 6.

It is my hope this off season. Realize it won't happen till then. But I hope this off season it does. Because, with current production, loosing Dupuis we have two current "3rd wheels" for that 2nd line. Tangradi and TK. We have Kunitz. We need 2 guys to round out this roster in the off season. 2 guys... Please get it done Shero... PLEASE. I would be happy with one... But if we got 2... I would be doing cart wheels in the streets.

EdwardBlake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
It was weird to see how well he played for Boston in the playoffs.

He looked great for the B's. He played some inspired hockey. Something he didn't do for us.
If we could get that version, I would take him.

It was weird to see that happen. He was a beast for the Bruins that year in the playoffs. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that he didnt play for most of the season. The time off seemed to give him an edge come playoffs. I think thats why a lot of teams didnt sign him during the off season. Everyone thinks he cant play a whole season and that very well could be the case. I could see this becoming a trend in the NHL with older players down the line.

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:29 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
It was weird to see that happen. He was a beast for the Bruins that year in the playoffs. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that he didnt play for most of the season. The time off seemed to give him an edge come playoffs. I think thats why a lot of teams didnt sign him during the off season. Everyone thinks he cant play a whole season and that very well could be the case. I could see this becoming a trend in the NHL with older players down the line.
The rest factor could very well be the reason. I just remember watching some of those games and seeing how impressive Miro was playing and saying "damn, where the hell was that when he was a Pen?"

It may have very well have been lightning in a bottle. Or the right convergence of feeling comfortable in his new environs. I dunno. But yeah, Miro was a force in the playoffs that year for Boston.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
nwpensfan

Even up for Comrie, in terms of salary and spot on roster, absolutely nothing to lose. Now that I said that Comrie will get a Gordie Howe HT tonight (one third there already)!

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

The difference between Guerin and Kunitz/Dupuis is that once upon a time Bill Guerin was a sniper in the NHL. So playing him in that role on Line 1 made sense (when he was able to keep up). He played very well for us in '09 after he was acquired, and the Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin line was very good for the most part.

Guerin wasn't really a third wheel or complementary winger. He was an aging sniper that just couldn't play his game any longer.

Kunitz and Dupuis, while different in style, are both complementary wingers. Neither should be used as a scorer on a line, and neither should be used on his off-wing...but Dupuis is right now.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:01 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Yup, that's exactly what we need...another player who 'hustles'. Yay team. Team Hustle.

I'm not saying I want him as a permanent fixture on this team for years to come. I'm saying I'd rather have someone that at least does SOMETHING positive, rather than someone that is doing NOTHING positive.

If Comrie isn't producing, he isn't doing anything. If Conner isn't producing, at least he's hustling and retrieving pucks and battling in the corners.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
I'm not saying I want him as a permanent fixture on this team for years to come. I'm saying I'd rather have someone that at least does SOMETHING positive, rather than someone that is doing NOTHING positive.

If Comrie isn't producing, he isn't doing anything. If Conner isn't producing, at least he's hustling and retrieving pucks and battling in the corners.
You know what's unfair in sports? A guy who is supposed to score gets demoted because he doesn't play a grinder's game, but a grinder will never get demoted for not scoring if placed on a scoring line. It's a complete double-standard.

Comrie tonight had two really nice plays, one an easy chip to feed a streaking Crosby as he was changing, and one a nice backhand pass that threaded the needle right in front, but there was no finish.

I'm sorry, but on THIS current roster, Comrie should be playing more. His lack of hustle should never be a big problem if you place him on a line with Crosby and Dupuis/Kunitz. But at least he thinks out there, and might be able to find Sid more often...or even place himself in a quality scoring position now and then, so Sid could feed him.

Tonight's game shouldn't have been close. The top two lines were generating a ton of chances, but no finish at all until very late. We can't keep going to this lineup night after night and expect 3-4 goals because there is simply a big lack of finish.

Comrie isn't a savior, but he's a lot less useless in the top six than centering Line 4, that's for bloody sure.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:13 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

agree jag, but with bylsma here it will never be the case... and thats with any player that floats around.

and i dont know if bylsma knows this or not, but goal scoring players that also like to hustle and backcheck are few and far between. they also cost a pretty penny.

i'm afraid that as long as bylsma is coach we will continue to see no skill "i can only skate hard" players in the top 6 or on the roster in general. and its an incredible waste of sid and geno's talent

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Funk311

From my prior posts, I am obviously on board with the two posts above me.

I also like how Mike fought last night. Do he and Callahan actually have bad blood, or is that Comrie saying i'll do 4th line duties to stay on the roster?

I just wish Bylsma and others would value the importance of balance. A team of all Comrie would suck, just like a team of all "hustle" has thus far not gotten it done. Comrie strength is certainly not speed, but I still say unless he is the direct cause of goals through defensive breakdowns/lack of backcheck he should be playing more.

And to my point yesterday....we were rolling in the first period when sending out lines 1-2-3/1-2-3-4. Everyone was moving, everyone looked comfortable and we had prolonged zone time with alot of quality chances. Then DB starts mixing and matching, and you have Asham colliding with Sid at the blue line. Without a doubt that is on HCDB's fault for not realizing "hmm while we didn't get one in, we look VERY good".

To recap - Comrie on the 4th = Adams on the first IMO, regardless of if Comrie is the player we have been dying to have in the top 6...he has some form of vision and hands. Put guys in position to succeed DB.

Second, if you are going to ignore the underlying skill sets which brought players to the NHL, atleast keep guys together as units when they are playing well and by all accounts "GETTING TO THEIR F"ING GAME". His juggling is an exploration in permutations.

BTW this is frustration not panic. I still say Staal (especially if for some reason he pots a few) will be a huge addition to the team.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote