HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

1st round 2011

Old
11-15-2010, 02:47 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

vCash: 500
1st round 2011

Gabriel Landeskog looks to me as someone who the sharks could really use. he's got good wheels, plays a tough style but can still score goals. he's also an excellent leader.

He is currently in the OHL and is 7th in points and is captaining his team at the age of 18!

It is very much projected that he will go somewhere between the 5-10 slots in this years draft.

These picks will likely belong to:

1. Islanders
2. Oilers
3. Florida
4. Carolina
5. Calgary
6. Boston (via toronto)
7. Dallas
8. Atlanta
9. Buffalo
10. New jersey

Dont flame the standings. they serve merely the purpose of deciding who likely will have a top 10 pick

Calgary, Buffalo, New jersey and Boston are currently in win now mode and dont wish to take time to develop prospects. All 4 teams would likely trade their pick for someone who would assist the team sooner, rather then later.

Calgary would likely want a top 6 forward.
Buffalo would also likely want a top 6 forward
New Jersey probably would like a top 6 forward as well.
Boston would likely want a defenceman.

Who would you be willing to give up in order to aquire Gabriel Landeskog.

I didnt post this in the main boards because i only wish for him to go to SJ.

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Kitten Mittons

Noone.

He's gonna be a top-5 pick, and a great player. But getting him will cost too much and will take away our chances of getting the cup.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Noone.

He's gonna be a top-5 pick, and a great player. But getting him will cost too much and will take away our chances of getting the cup.
We're about 2-3 seasons away from being in hardcore rebuild mode. I wouldn't dismiss it that much if we really think he's going to be a game changer. Hard to say, though. If this season tanks, maybe you try to move a Heatley for a top 5 pick and some other dude/s.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
matt trick

Him or Puempel would be great. However, I think they will both go top 6-8 (with Larsson, RNH, Courtier, and Murphy), and I am not sure we want to move what it would require to get one of those picks.

This team does need a talented LW however. Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Mitchell, and Viedensky likely have the top 9 centers spots for the next 6+ years. Coyle and Setoguchi are both under 23 and should be top 6 RWs- although Setoguchi could easily end up as trade bait, and Coyle impressive though he's been so far, is still only a prospect. On the left wing however, we have McGinn (who looks to be an ideal third liner) and Mashinter who may become a solid second line PF. Both players I really like a lot, and certainly the type of guys that are frequently dynamite in the playoffs, but neither is a guy who could push for first line minutes. With Marleau and Heatley getting up there (although likely still first liners for the next six years), we need to eventually have a replacement for one of them. Puempel and Landeskog would be great solutions, but I don't think they are the right focus for the team at this juncture.

As for our first rounder. I say use it for a quality top 4 d-man that fits our needs (must be mobile, play PP and PK, and capable of eating 21+ minutes; if he isn't available make no trade), or just use the pick to take the best forward available at the draft and ensure the signing of a top 4 in free agency. If it weren't for the concern I have with regards to our ability to attract free agents, I'd say that is definitely the way to go.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
With Marleau and Heatley getting up there (although likely still first liners for the next six years), we need to eventually have a replacement for one of them.
Thanks for the analysis. I do, however, have to question the bolded above. Six years, really? I think Patty and Heatley have 4 years at most on the scoring lines. Once they get to 35, as forwards, they're really pushing it to be elite big-minutes scorers. Especially a player like Heatley.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
It is very much projected that he will go somewhere between the 5-10 slots in this years draft.
From the sound of it, he's making a very good case to crack into the top 3. Your best hope of landing a top pick would be if the Sutters get canned in Calgary and Jay Feaster gets promoted to GM and thinks Setoguchi could jumpstart their offense.

At the 2002 Draft, Feaster dealt the 4th overall pick (Joni Pitkanen) for Ruslan Fedotenko and two 2nds. At the time it seemed like such a terrible deal but it ended up working out since Fedotenko had a productive run in their Cup year. And Pitkanen turned out decent but not great. But I always viewed that trade as some guy at the blackjack table doubling down on 13 and getting an 8.

Even then, in a cap environment it seems like teams are going to hoard all the young ELC talent they can.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 154
no chance of it happening. he's probably the #4 pick. he's a stud, but im not even sure DW would pick a forward if he had the pick (not sure how he'd get it anyways). looks like a great prospect Franzen/Holmstrom - physical swede mold. playing in NA probably makes him more attractive to guys like DW that stay in the US/Canada for early draft choices though.

Last edited by magic school bus: 11-15-2010 at 04:56 PM.
magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:05 PM
rangerssharks414

I think he has a shot to go in the top three. I don't want to give up that much.

rangerssharks414 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by coooldude View Post
Thanks for the analysis. I do, however, have to question the bolded above. Six years, really? I think Patty and Heatley have 4 years at most on the scoring lines. Once they get to 35, as forwards, they're really pushing it to be elite big-minutes scorers. Especially a player like Heatley.
Its arguable, and a key aspect of the debate stems from one's definition of a first liner. In my opinion, as long as a guy is putting up 60 points, he is pretty much a first liner (last three years there have been around 63 players who score 60+, leaving another 25-30 first liners who don't score 30). Do I think a speedy forward with a tremendous shot can score 60 points at 34-36? Absolutely. Look at guys like Whitney, St. Louis, Alfredsson. They put up 60-80, despite being 35+. I hardly think it is a stretch to think Marleau can do the same. He is by all accounts among the most conditioned athletes in the league, and there are plenty of examples of those type of guys being productive long term. Add in Patty's versatility (how many elite players are extremely effective at LW, RW, and C) and I think even at 34-36, Marleau finds his way onto all but the most stacked first lines. In addition, Marleau has had no major injury problems, which is a key component in the fall of many aging top quality forwards.

As for Heatley, I agree that four years is probably a pretty good guess on the number of years he'll put up elite quality numbers- perhaps only three. However, his hockey sense (more specifically nose for goal) and shot are not likely going away, and those are the two most important aspects of his game. What is likely to fall off is his skating (which is bad to begin with), ability to dangle (not great, but good enough in helping him open up opportunities), and potentially his willingness to go to the net- which is among the best in the league. If you look at a player like Andrew Brunnette, you see a player who relies on his hockey sense to put up 60 points despite skating like Cheech.

I am not saying they won't fall off, because they will (although it wouldn't surprise me if Marleau was still putting up 70-80 for each of the next years), but there is a difference between the elite wingers they are, and the first line capable players they will be as they exit their primes.

In five or six years Heatley-Thornton-Marleau is still probably a top 10-15 NHL first line, despite the fact they will be 35. Now is it the potential cup-winning, dominant trio of a line that they are now, in their primes? Probably not, but I have little problem betting they are still first line quality in six years. Past that, it gets pretty dicey.

Old
11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 0
I don't like his name. Doesn't sound like a star player to me.

This is important.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
I don't like his name.
But that's my first name!

Old
11-15-2010, 07:12 PM
matt trick

Quote:
I don't like his name. Doesn't sound like a star player to me.

This is important.
How about a description, the Swedish Brenden Morrow/Mike Richards. Are you interested now?

Now that I mention it, that is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it?

Old
11-15-2010, 07:19 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
But that's my first name!
It's the surname I'm concerned with. I just don't think he has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
How about a description, the Swedish Brenden Morrow/Mike Richards. Are you interested now?

Now that I mention it, that is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it?
That does sound enticing. I'm just not sure the marketing department is going to okay it.

(i just watched some videos on him, and now i approve)

Old
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
matt trick

Quote:

That does sound enticing. I'm just not sure the marketing department is going to okay it.

(i just watched some videos on him, and now i approve)
He is also NHL ready and the Captain of Kitchener

I recommend everyone get really excited about him, he's going to look great in a NYI sweater.

Old
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

Good... they could use a heavy dose of grit in their forwards.

Old
11-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
I'm concerned with his first name. Terrible. Gabriel... go make a painting or something.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I'm concerned with his first name. Terrible. Gabriel... go make a painting or something.
Ok, I will.