HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christensen's worth with and without Gaborik

Old
11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its not an issue of chemistry - its just an issue of Gaborik being able to make anybody around him better. If Stepan was physically ready for the assignment, theres no doubt in my mind, he would like good alongside Gaborik - if Dubinsky still played center, he'd look very good too. If Brian Boyle played there, he'd be fine. If....well, you get the point.

Basically, the notion that Christensen has "chemistry" with Gaborik is a myth. Hes a marginal NHL player that, given his inconsistency issues and this team's lack of a top end center, is lucky to have a steady NHL job - and even more lucky to be playing with a GREAT player that makes him look good.
Brian Boyle isn't really much of a puck distributor.

I'm not sure how you can say it's a myth that they have chemistry, it's right in front of your eyes. You sound like Christine O'Donnell trying to tell the world evolution is a myth.

As a fan base that sat here and saw Jaromir Jagr struggle to make it work with countless numbers of good players, and then make it work with guys like Marcel Hossa, I'm not sure why it's such a foreign concept that it's possible Gaborik and Christensen just work the best together of any other Gaborik-Player X combo.

Gaborik doesn't work with just anyone, last season we saw left wing after left wing shuffle on and off that line. I believe it was when Prospal missed some games last season...Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik got on a role...Torts re-united Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik and it didnt work nearly as well.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I rather have Anisimov or Stepan on the 1st line. Christensen is nothing without Gaborik. It just makes him seem way better than he actually is and maybe Tortorella doesn't know. You can play anyone on the 1st line and they would get an easy extra 20 points. Christensen just happened to get lucky to get the honor to play up there.
Except Anisimov is a part of our best line, finally providing us with secondary scoring, and Stepan hasn't shown us ANYTHING to let us know he's ready for first line minutes.

Old
11-15-2010, 11:10 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
That's better for us.

Let Step develop, drop EC on someone in a trade who doesn't realize he's really not even half the player without a Gaborik-esque player.
You don't let players develop by throwing them directly into the fire like that. It's a steep enough learning curve for Stepan having bottom 6 minutes and PP time coming straight out of college.

Old
11-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Everything we need to know about Christensen was summed up when he climbed on Gaborik and hugged him...

I know this is just speculation, but I'd bet money what he whispered in Gaborik's ear was

"Please Marian don't ever get hurt again, I was 3 days away from the waiver wire before you got back, please, please, please dont leave me!"

I mean seriously, climbing on his back after the tying goal against edmonton...in the second period...of a game in november...

Cmon EC, I've watched you climb on Gaborik's back since the day you got here, no reason to do it after the play as well...
I think him scoring on that goal speaks more about Gaborik's skill rather than E.C.'s lack thereof. If he had sprung Callahan on that pass and he didn't score on the breakaway, is it Christensen's lack of skill, or the guy who couldn't bury it?

Don't get me wrong, E.C. is a better player in most cases because of Gaborik, but it's not like he's Derek Boogaard when Gaborik isn't around. It's his head game rather than his skillset that sets him back.

11-15-2010, 12:01 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
I think him scoring on that goal speaks more about Gaborik's skill rather than E.C.'s lack thereof. If he had sprung Callahan on that pass and he didn't score on the breakaway, is it Christensen's lack of skill, or the guy who couldn't bury it?

Don't get me wrong, E.C. is a better player in most cases because of Gaborik, but it's not like he's Derek Boogaard when Gaborik isn't around. It's his head game rather than his skillset that sets him back.
I agree with what your saying here, and I'm not saying EC doesn't have any skill, its just so fleeting, in his career he's never had any consistency. I dont think he's a guy on this team if/when we are true playoff contenders.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:31 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post

Granted he's more talented than Boogaard, but without Gaborik, EC is no better or useful to this team than Boogaard is.

Neither get much done at even strength without Gaborik.

Neither play on the PK units

Neither play on the PP units

The fact is that EC is no more more useful to this team is than Boogaard is.

Further, this team would feel the loss of a Boogaard alot more than they would the loss of EC.

That in and of itself says alot (none of it good) about EC

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Further, this team would feel the loss of a Boogaard alot more than they would the loss of EC.

That in and of itself says alot (none of it good) about EC
Agree with most of that, but this is insane. Anybody can fill the 4th line roll and do so as effectively, or more effectively than Boogaard. At worst Prust would take his place and play it far better. Who will fill E.C.'s role on the top line, and do so with Gaborik as effectively as he has, and does? Arty? Then you put a hole in the pack line.

Until we have a #1 C, Christensen is more valuable than Boogaard, and it's not even close.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

Christensen was speaking honestly. But it could get him in trouble within framework of the team.

---------------------------
As it should. Again, he's entitled to his opinion, but it's not something that you need to discuss with the media.

And yeah, I'm done with Christensen, too. I'm not saying to cut him or trade him, I'm just no longer rooting for him. He was the underdog on his last life that I really pulled for, but not now. Now he's just what he always was--a fringe NHLer picking up points playing with our best player. That's fine and all, but I'm no longer a fan.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

two things.

first, averys hit on fraser was clean. smid came over and challenged avery. he wanted to go and avery waived him off initially. right or wrong, thats what most people are having a problem with and whats causing this whole "sucker punch" stuff. as far as im concerned, avery and smid both looked away at play continuing- thats normal, and as soon as smid backed off it seemed avery attacked. smid had time to throw his gloves off and took an aggressive stance and then just turned right into averys bomb. look, its a 5-2 game and theres no reason to fight at that point. we dont know what was said immediately after but something changed and avery went after him and caught him.

that is not a sucker punch. he let his guard down and avery surprised him with a clean shot to the jaw. avery caught him with a vicious right hand. i mean an absolute bomb.

second, erik christensen is a puke. hes a poor excuse for a teammate and a marginal nhl player. what he did was inexcuseable. period. i have zero respect for ec. the guy cant take it back, the damage is done. once you throw your brother under the bus, theres no going back.

done.with.him.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 11-15-2010 at 04:40 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Watching folks reactions to Christensen's next game-winning goal is going to be amusing.

Is this the same "done" we were with Dan Girardi last year? Or with Avery after he left and took a photoshoot of him ripping a rangers shirt?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Watching folks reactions to Christensen's next game-winning goal is going to be amusing.

Is this the same "done" we were with Dan Girardi last year? Or with Avery after he left and took a photoshoot of him ripping a rangers shirt?
this is different than girardi not stepping up to help his teammate.

scoring the game winning goal wont make this go away. he crossed the line.

what ec did was gutless. he openly criticized a brother teammate to the media fueling the fire and making things worse within the locker room. maybe ec saw it that way and hes entitled to his opinion, but he cant say that publically.

i may not like my mother in law(and for the record i do - shes a terrific person), but im certainly not going to say it at the thanksgiving dinner table in front of my whole family. if this guy doesnt know what not to say and when not to say it at this opoint of his life, hes more than just the dufus i always thought he was. hes a bad teammate.

thats bad.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Seriously I hope this guy puts up some ridiculous 70-80 points just so I can see the majority of people boohooing about this NOTHING ISSUE spun by the Canadian press change their tune. It's unlikely, but it would be so gratifying.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:17 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Gabby not even on the ice for this one, I guess EC is on his way to the hall of fame now.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:18 PM
NY Ranger86

Christensen can play. why does no one see that??

as i type this...

Christensen GOAL

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
asparkoflife

This guy takes a ton of grief around here for no reason. He was a waiver wire pick up and is making 925k. He has played a lot better than an of us had expected.

35 points in 65 games. give the guy a break.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
This guy takes a ton of grief around here for no reason. He was a waiver wire pick up and is making 925k. He has played a lot better than an of us had expected.

35 points in 65 games. give the guy a break.
Gotta blame someone when the Rangers don't go 82-0...and Roszival's out of the lineup...so....

Old
11-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Edge

EC is a fairly skilled player who has never consistently put his skills to consistent use. He's never been as good of a player as he should be, and I doubt he will.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:59 PM
RangerFan10

Christensen was arguably more visible than Gaborik tonight