HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers work overtime to Conquer Pittsburgh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2010, 09:33 AM
  #26
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you havent watched many of our games this year then, right?

last night was a continuation of a very long stretch of officiating fail. deliberate agenda driven fail at that.

and thats worse.
But in the games before it mostly was just one or two blown calls (unfortunately a lot of dubious no-goals amongst them), but this was way over top. The last time we had a game like this was in Chicago a year (or two?) ago.

But it was exactly what I expected in Pitsburgh, it's like this nearly every time. You'd think getting four top-two draft selections in a row (including two of the best four forwards in the game) would be enough, but no, the refs still have to help...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:35 AM
  #27
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,158
vCash: 500
I thought there were some questionable calls but I don't think the game was nearly as bad as some people were making it out to be...

Just looking at the # of PP's for each team tells you nothing about the nature of the infractions committed.... For instance, was Staal's double minor not completely warranted? Didn't Fedotenko's stick hit someone in the face after a hit in front of the Ranger's bench and go uncalled? I thought Gaborik deserved his penalty... However Malkin sure went down easy for a big man on the Callahan penalty....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM
  #28
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Facts Gents:

So far the Pens are third in the league in penalties (307 minutes) and third in minors (85). They have six more PPs than times shorthanded (86-80).

Tell Lundqvist you won, stop whining. It's never becoming of royalty.
So you are defending the refs performance last night?

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:41 AM
  #29
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,982
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
The Callahan call on Malkin was an absolute disgrace. They need to find a way to crack down on that nonsense.
Malkin took a better arm drag the Ric Flair lol he had his arm pulled and did a bac flip the NHL is a joke

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
  #30
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I thought there were some questionable calls but I don't think the game was nearly as bad as some people were making it out to be...

Just looking at the # of PP's for each team tells you nothing about the nature of the infractions committed.... For instance, was Staal's double minor not completely warranted? Didn't Fedotenko's stick hit someone in the face after a hit in front of the Ranger's bench and go uncalled? I thought Gaborik deserved his penalty... However Malkin sure went down easy for a big man on the Callahan penalty....
Staa's was warranted.

Fedotenko did get away with one, as did Malkin when he high-sticked Girardi in the first period.

How you can think Gaborik deserved his penalty after the Pen player (Dupuis I think?) fell forward onto his stick and then held it while lying on the ice is truly beyond me.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:49 AM
  #31
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Facts Gents:

So far the Pens are third in the league in penalties (307 minutes) and third in minors (85). They have six more PPs than times shorthanded (86-80).

Tell Lundqvist you won, stop whining. It's never becoming of royalty.
Fact:

Dupuis tripped Staal, which caused Staal's stick to hit him. No call.

Fact:

Crosby hit Lundqvist in the crease away from the play. No call.

Fact:

Several Rangers were hit in the back and into the boards. None were glaringly bad, but any of them could have been called, especially considering the calls that went against the Rangers.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:00 AM
  #32
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I thought there were some questionable calls but I don't think the game was nearly as bad as some people were making it out to be...

Just looking at the # of PP's for each team tells you nothing about the nature of the infractions committed.... For instance, was Staal's double minor not completely warranted? Didn't Fedotenko's stick hit someone in the face after a hit in front of the Ranger's bench and go uncalled? I thought Gaborik deserved his penalty... However Malkin sure went down easy for a big man on the Callahan penalty....
Dupuis tripped Staal on the play. I have no problem with Staal getting 4, but Dupuis should have gotten 2.

And what about the non-call when Cindy hit Hank in the crease? Or when he slashed Girardi? And there was another play where Callahan was getting hooked while coming down the slot on a scoring chance.

You can't tell me that there wasn't at least a couple instances where pittsburgh was deserving of a penalty.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
  #33
Riche16
McCready guitar god
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
But in the games before it mostly was just one or two blown calls (unfortunately a lot of dubious no-goals amongst them), but this was way over top. The last time we had a game like this was in Chicago a year (or two?) ago.

But it was exactly what I expected in Pitsburgh, it's like this nearly every time. You'd think getting four top-two draft selections in a row (including two of the best four forwards in the game) would be enough, but no, the refs still have to help...
Thanks for saving me the effort to type this up... almost word for word my thoughts here.


Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:03 AM
  #34
MadHookUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Facts Gents:

So far the Pens are third in the league in penalties (307 minutes) and third in minors (85). They have six more PPs than times shorthanded (86-80).

Tell Lundqvist you won, stop whining. It's never becoming of royalty.
Do you think this helps your argument? If a team takes the 3rd most minors in the league, shouldnt they be short handed FAR FAR FAR more often than their opponents? Not the Peguins! They still have more power plays!

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:08 AM
  #35
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Again, it's not even the number of penalties being called. To me, you have two teams playing intense hockey, and the officials allow the play to go on as long as there are no egregious fouls committed...UNTIL the 3rd period, when suddenly Pittsburgh becomes the benficiary of anything that might be a penalty, and the opposing does not get the same satisfaction. It has become predictable.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:13 AM
  #36
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,138
vCash: 500
My only problem with the reffing is no different than what we sometimes experience in our rec league - if you're going to call it, call it all game and on both sides. Don't pick and choose.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:13 AM
  #37
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater
 
Panfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Anybody else catch Cooke shoving Callahan from behind head-first into the boards?

Didn't look that bad, but it was a clear attempt to injure. It's a good thing Callahan knows how to take those hits.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:15 AM
  #38
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Was that 2nd goal by Pittsburgh off sides? It was awfully close if anything.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:16 AM
  #39
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Anybody else catch Cooke shoving Callahan from behind head-first into the boards?

Didn't look that bad, but it was a clear attempt to injure. It's a good thing Callahan knows how to take those hits.
Since Callahan doesn't dive and fake injury like other players ::Cough:: Kaleta ::Cough:: he doesn't get calls like that. Its a joke that in this league you have to dive and fake injury to get calls against you like Crosby does.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:21 AM
  #40
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Was that 2nd goal by Pittsburgh off sides? It was awfully close if anything.
I'm having a hard time getting the offsides rules straight...can't think clearly on it, but the facts are that Letestu was in the zone when the puck came out (Del Zotto tries to pass back to Stepan). Then Dupuis took control of the puck, and was completely inside of the Rangers zone (both skates clearly inside the blueline), but the puck never crossed the blueline back into the Rangers zone. During this time, Letestu was still inside the Rangers zone and hadn't cleared out yet.

Then Dupuis gets his skates back into the neutral zone, Letestu tags up, and then the goal happens.

For some reason I can't remember if Dupuis being completely in the zone with his skates before his teammate clears out, but the puck not crossing into the zone, has any consequences. I don't want to think too hard about it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
  #41
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
The league should just make the Pens their own "special Cup" and let them parade that all year round and let Cindy be happy that way. Can't stand the special treatment they get. I wonder about that 3rd in the league stat in minor penalties, are the majority some make up calls at the end of a game when the game is almost over. Im Still at a lose how Malkin did not get suspended in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals for instigating that fight in the final 19 seconds of Game 2.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:32 AM
  #42
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm having a hard time getting the offsides rules straight...can't think clearly on it, but the facts are that Letestu was in the zone when the puck came out (Del Zotto tries to pass back to Stepan). Then Dupuis took control of the puck, and was completely inside of the Rangers zone (both skates clearly inside the blueline), but the puck never crossed the blueline back into the Rangers zone. During this time, Letestu was still inside the Rangers zone and hadn't cleared out yet.

Then Dupuis gets his skates back into the neutral zone, Letestu tags up, and then the goal happens.

For some reason I can't remember if Dupuis being completely in the zone with his skates before his teammate clears out, but the puck not crossing into the zone, has any consequences. I don't want to think too hard about it
If it did indeed happen the way you describe it, than that is, by definition, an on sides play.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:32 AM
  #43
kovazub94
Enigmatic
 
kovazub94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 823
vCash: 500
One more call that was missed in the first period was holding a stick of Boogard by one of the Pens - it was clearly shown on replay and it lasted for about 5 sec.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:33 AM
  #44
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,705
vCash: 500
Crosby also slashed girardi's hand in the 3rd i believe. Girardi was *****in to the ref right afterwards.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:35 AM
  #45
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
One more call that was missed in the first period was holding a stick of Boogard by one of the Pens - it was clearly shown on replay and it lasted for about 5 sec.
Boogaard didn't play last night, chief.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:37 AM
  #46
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
One more call that was missed in the first period was holding a stick of Boogard by one of the Pens - it was clearly shown on replay and it lasted for about 5 sec.
Yeah, gee, how didn't they see that

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:38 AM
  #47
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm having a hard time getting the offsides rules straight...can't think clearly on it, but the facts are that Letestu was in the zone when the puck came out (Del Zotto tries to pass back to Stepan). Then Dupuis took control of the puck, and was completely inside of the Rangers zone (both skates clearly inside the blueline), but the puck never crossed the blueline back into the Rangers zone. During this time, Letestu was still inside the Rangers zone and hadn't cleared out yet.

Then Dupuis gets his skates back into the neutral zone, Letestu tags up, and then the goal happens.

For some reason I can't remember if Dupuis being completely in the zone with his skates before his teammate clears out, but the puck not crossing into the zone, has any consequences. I don't want to think too hard about it
It's where the players are in relation to the puck. If the puck is outside the zone, all the players need to touch up (i.e. position themselves so that they don't have a skate touching the ice in the zone) before the puck re-enters in order to be on-side. (Although technically I believe the player bringing the puck into the zone can actually enter the zone ahead of it so long as he has clear control of it - but in practice you almost never see this allowed.)

I'm not sure, but I think that the second goal may have been onside - and that it only looked offside because when Dupuis gathered the puck IT was outside while HE was inside the zone. I believe he then skated out and went back in puck first. I wasn't nearly as incensed at this as I was at the horrific disparity in penalties.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:42 AM
  #48
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Boogaard didn't play last night, chief.
Thanks, gaylord....

(Dane Cook joke for all of you that don't listen to DC)

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:45 AM
  #49
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Thanks, gaylord....

(Dane Cook joke for all of you that don't listen to DC)
LOL!

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:49 AM
  #50
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Dupuis tripped Staal on the play. I have no problem with Staal getting 4, but Dupuis should have gotten 2.

And what about the non-call when Cindy hit Hank in the crease? Or when he slashed Girardi? And there was another play where Callahan was getting hooked while coming down the slot on a scoring chance.
Sam & Joe said Staal lost his edge or hit a rut in the ice upon watching/airing the replay. They did not show a good replay of the Crosby/Lundqvist contact for me to comment on that play.

Quote:
You can't tell me that there wasn't at least a couple instances where pittsburgh was deserving of a penalty.
I didn't say the Pens didn't get away with any infractions.... Looked like Crosby hooked Girardi behind our net in the 3rd... Led to a turnover.... Also, Girardi was shoved from behind into the boards in the 1st.... However, these things are far from a league wide bias in favor of the Penguins as some are suggesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Crosby also slashed girardi's hand in the 3rd i believe. Girardi was *****in to the ref right afterwards.
I saw a hook/tug on his hands... Similar to what Hartnell did to MDZ.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.