HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Intermeadiate stick durability?

Old
11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Hacker10

vCash: 500
Intermeadiate stick durability?

Hey all,

So I was down at the Pro Hockey Life killing some time, looking at sticks. Being a bit on the short/light side of things(5'8", 165-ish lbs), I checked out some int. sized Bauers. They are the right length, and I liked the whippier flex of them...

Naturally the stick guy comes over and asks if he can help. I remarked that the int's. seem to fit me fine. He said yeah, but I'd break one in no time...and of course directed me to the $250 price range senior stick rack.

Now, I'm not taking any huge slappers, and there is a bit of hacking in the league I play in...would an int. stick be okay?

Thanks.

Hacker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:33 AM
doobie604

int was ok for kessel, are you stronger than phil kessel?

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm 5'8 175 and have been using intermediates on and off the last few years with no problem. I never break sticks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:59 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I am 5'9 180 and I use INTs. I have an Easton Se6 and a Bauer X40, both are still intact.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I am 5'9 180 and I use INTs. I have an Easton Se6 and a Bauer X40, both are still intact.
you think 5'10 220lbs. is to heavy

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
berzark

I'm 5''11 150lbs, I've been using a senior 77 flex bauer one 95 and NEVER notice it flexing and can barely put weight on it when doing snappers..

Yesterday I tried an intermidiate total one 67 flex and noticed that I still a bit of trouble flexing it on the ice but on certain shots I could put weight and flex it. I also have small hands so the shaft being smaller helps I guess.

Do you guys think I should buy an intermidiate stick 67 flex so I can feel the flex? Try a lower flex or stay with senior sticks?

I'm thinking buying a int. 67 flex with drury curve or maybe try out a toe curve.

berzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzark View Post
I'm 5''11 150lbs, I've been using a senior 77 flex bauer one 95 and NEVER notice it flexing and can barely put weight on it when doing snappers..

Yesterday I tried an intermidiate total one 67 flex and noticed that I still a bit of trouble flexing it on the ice but on certain shots I could put weight and flex it. I also have small hands so the shaft being smaller helps I guess.

Do you guys think I should buy an intermidiate stick 67 flex so I can feel the flex? Try a lower flex or stay with senior sticks?

I'm thinking buying a int. 67 flex with drury curve or maybe try out a toe curve.
I wouldn't waste your money, the one95 is a great stick. You may be skinny but shooting is more about technique and leverage than strength anyways, at 5'11" you should be able to flex a 77 flex one95 just fine. Your technique probably needs work, chances are you need to work on getting your legs into your shot, really learning to transfer your weight properly as you're shooting. Look up instructional videos on youtube and practice a bunch at stick and puck instead of spending money on a new stick when you already have a very good one.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Thepandamancan

Unless you're really leaning into your shots, an intermediate stick is as durable as any senior stick. It's just cut down for a smaller player with the kickpoint moved accordingly.

I'm 5'5" and around 170-180 and have used my one95 int shaft/67 flex for over thirty games. My league is a giant hackfest and I take slap shots with it. I've yet to break a blade or the shaft itself.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:44 PM
berzark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I wouldn't waste your money, the one95 is a great stick. You may be skinny but shooting is more about technique and leverage than strength anyways, at 5'11" you should be able to flex a 77 flex one95 just fine. Your technique probably needs work, chances are you need to work on getting your legs into your shot, really learning to transfer your weight properly as you're shooting. Look up instructional videos on youtube and practice a bunch at stick and puck instead of spending money on a new stick when you already have a very good one.
My legs get into my shot... I cant put enough weight on it when taking snappers for me to feel it. I can flex it off the ice but it's way different then on the ice skating. Standing still on shoes and moving on skates.

Doesn't ovechkin weight 220 lbs and use a 80 flex?
my stick is cut 1 inch so it's arround 80 flex. That's 10 pounds over the suggested flex for my weight. He's 60 lbs under.

EDIT: You use a 77 flex and you're 1 inch taller and 30-35 pounds heavier. I think it's safe to say that a lower flex would benifit my snap and wrist shots. Thanks for the response though.

Last edited by berzark: 11-16-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old
11-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Devil Dancer

5'6, 140, and I use an Int Vapor X:60 about two times a week. It's seven months old and in great shape!

EDIT: Oh, and I have pretty decent wrist and slap shots, and I use both regularly.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:45 PM
ponder

Quote:
My legs get into my shot... I cant put enough weight on it when taking snappers for me to feel it. I can flex it off the ice but it's way different then on the ice skating. Standing still on shoes and moving on skates.

my stick is cut 1 inch so it's arround 80 flex. That's 10 pounds over the suggested flex for my weight. He's 60 lbs under.

EDIT: You use a 77 flex and you're 1 inch taller and 30-35 pounds heavier. I think it's safe to say that a lower flex would benifit my snap and wrist shots. Thanks for the response though.
Oh, I agree that it would probably help a bit, just not sure that it's worth spending a bunch of money on a slight improvement to your shot when you already have a real nice stick that is hardly crazy stiff, may as well wait till you break this one before moving down to an intermediate stick IMO I actually broke my 77 flex one95 and am now using an 85 flex Easton ST, I like the flexier stick a bit more, but it's not like it's a massive difference, and my technique could use work too! I've been playing hockey every year since I was 8, not amazing but good enough to make my varsity high school team for example, and my snapper could still use tonnes of work, getting your weight into a shot properly at just the right time on skates is a real art and takes massive amounts of practice. The best player on my beer league team is 5'6" ex-junior A player who has an unreal snapper, and he uses a 110 flex senior stick that is cut WAY down! Flex makes a difference but ultimately technique is what matters most. If you were getting a decent amount of flex but wanted a bit more, that's one thing, but if you get no flex at all out of a 77 flex stick then guaranteed your technique needs work. I'm not trying to be mean here, just trying to save you some cash!

Old
11-16-2010, 09:07 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:

Before going out and buying a new stick I'd have to suggest attempting to get your weight into the shot more. You have plenty of height and weight to get the leverage needed. I'm 5'10' and maybe 165lbs and I can get flex out of my 84 flex One95 shaft no problem.

Before I bought the One95 I had a 75 flex Reebok 4K and I could never get any kind of flex out of it on the ice, just could only use my arms for power. I even bought a 65 flex Easton ST to try and help out my shooting and it wasn't much help. Then one day I started really leaning into my shots and transferring my weight powerfully and I was instantly shooting lasers. After that I realized they were both wayyy too whippy for me. Now my 84 and 80 flex sticks are just right.

I'd suggest giving it an honest effort before throwing money at new sticks like I did. If it's just not working then go from there. Just my opinion.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
ju87

I'm 5'10" 145lbs and use intermediates. I have broken 4 but only 1 whilst shooting and that was my own fault because I took way too much ice on a slapper, cracking the blade at the heel.

2 breakages were from people falling on the stick... I'm not sure if a Sr stick would have broken in the same circumstances.

The 4th break was due to a slash in the middle of the shaft.

I would not be overly concerned about durability regarding breakage during shooting.

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Dan Barr

At 5'8", 130 lbs, is a senior 75 flex too stiff for me? I'm not in good shape at all either, so it's not like I'm mostly muscle or anything. Like other people have said, I can flex the stick off the ice if I lean on it a little, but I have a hard time on the ice flexing it enough to get any power. I've only been playing for a few months though, so I plan on getting in better shape and getting stronger, and honing my technique eventually to where I'm able to use a 75 flex. Should I just stick with it, or should I find an intermediate to use until I'm "ready" to use the senior stick?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
berzark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Before going out and buying a new stick I'd have to suggest attempting to get your weight into the shot more. You have plenty of height and weight to get the leverage needed. I'm 5'10' and maybe 165lbs and I can get flex out of my 84 flex One95 shaft no problem.

Before I bought the One95 I had a 75 flex Reebok 4K and I could never get any kind of flex out of it on the ice, just could only use my arms for power. I even bought a 65 flex Easton ST to try and help out my shooting and it wasn't much help. Then one day I started really leaning into my shots and transferring my weight powerfully and I was instantly shooting lasers. After that I realized they were both wayyy too whippy for me. Now my 84 and 80 flex sticks are just right.

I'd suggest giving it an honest effort before throwing money at new sticks like I did. If it's just not working then go from there. Just my opinion.
When you say lean into it.. Do you mean press down with my lower hand when shooting? Cause I felt like I could do that with the INT 67 flex, but that might only be with my strenght.

Old
11-16-2010, 09:53 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
When you say lean into it.. Do you mean press down with my lower hand when shooting? Cause I felt like I could do that with the INT 67 flex, but that might only be with my strenght.
I'd say my body weight is doing more work than the muscles in my arms pushing down, but I do push down, yes. And the key is to do it fast, not try to hold the flex. It should take a fraction of a second to load and release. A stick with decent flex is hard to load just by you leaning on the stick on ice. It flexes for me only when I combine my hands, my weight (shifting body weight and driving with legs) and my feet during the shooting motion. But get the correct technique down, utilize the stick's flex and you have yourself some powerful shots.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:31 PM
ponder

For a quick release snap-shot (with the puck off to your side and your toes pointing at the net, usually taken in-stride as you're coming down the wing) an easy way to get your weight more into it is to lift your outside foot as you shoot, shifting all your weight onto your inside foot and the stick itself. You can try this at home, lift your outside foot and get a good knee bend on your inside leg, you'll see how easy it is to get a good flex on the stick. Getting this same flex while shooting on the move on skates is obviously way trickier, your timing and balance has to be just right, but it comes with lots and lots of practice. For the more wrist-shot type snapper (where your toes are a bit more perpendicular to the net, with the puck sort of in front of your body) it's all about shifting your weight from your back foot to your front foot as you're shooting, and using that weight shift to really help you put pressure on the stick.

For some other tips, you wanna be sort of pulling back with your top hand while pushing forward with your bottom hand, and as you're releasing the shot you roll your wrists over to give the puck a good spin. It's a real complex shot, MUCH harder to master than the slapshot IMO, everything has to happen quickly and smoothly with weight transfers at just the right time, but once you get snap shots even decently down (again, takes TONNES of practice) it's super deadly and so much fun.

If I wasn't clear above, this is the quick release body position:

And this is the more wrist-shot type body position:

There's a thread somewhere in this forum, not too far back, where people discuss snap shots, and post videos illustrating proper technique, definitely worth checking out.

Old
11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:

It's worth a shot. If you literally aren't flexing the stick, going to a lower flex can help develop your shot. Learn to feel the whip of the stick, get your lower body and core into it, etc, and if you get stronger you can go back up to the One95.

Check out this video where he shows the fundamentals of the shot. Notice how he's really pushing/scraping the ice with his bottom hand. That's what you want to do in order to get your weight into it.

I found it helpful to go with a whippier AND a longer stick when learning the motion, then shorten up the stick if you want for better control, and if it's still quite whippy go back up in flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
At 5'8", 130 lbs, is a senior 75 flex too stiff for me? I'm not in good shape at all either, so it's not like I'm mostly muscle or anything. Like other people have said, I can flex the stick off the ice if I lean on it a little, but I have a hard time on the ice flexing it enough to get any power. I've only been playing for a few months though, so I plan on getting in better shape and getting stronger, and honing my technique eventually to where I'm able to use a 75 flex. Should I just stick with it, or should I find an intermediate to use until I'm "ready" to use the senior stick?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah I think it would be. I'm 5'8 175 and have decent strength and technique but use a 65 flex. A 75 flex is pretty stiff when cut down. It's definitely worth a shot.

I also wouldn't necessarily see the intermediate as "training wheels" or a temporary solution until you get stronger. A misconception is that good players use senior sticks, when in reality shorter players often benefit from whippy sticks. It's physics. Someone who's 6" taller than me will use a 6" taller stick, and that's going to be way whippier at the same flex. So either you're using a stick way too long for you or a stick way too stiff.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:45 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
you think 5'10 220lbs. is to heavy
Are you asking me in general or to use an INT stick? As far as the stick goes I think you should still be able to use an INT stick. As a lot of other people have said it depends on personal preference and unfortunately you will probably have to try a few different types of sticks to find out what you like. I wish I would have stopped by here for advice last year b/c I went through 3 sticks before I found that the Bauer X40 stick um, 77 flex (cut down to about 80), with a P88 curve works best for me.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Are you asking me in general or to use an INT stick? As far as the stick goes I think you should still be able to use an INT stick. As a lot of other people have said it depends on personal preference and unfortunately you will probably have to try a few different types of sticks to find out what you like. I wish I would have stopped by here for advice last year b/c I went through 3 sticks before I found that the Bauer X40 stick um, 77 flex (cut down to about 80), with a P88 curve works best for me.
I was asking about the stick and thanks My senior stick are just to long and I know if i cut them down I will loose a lot of my flex just want something a little shorter and lighter

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 06:50 PM
canuck44

Well I was hoping the ST durability and my relative light weight (145 lbs) would make my stick a case of "well an INT is just as durable". Of course this could just be my bad luck, but my 65 flex ST just broke after 2 months.

I'm kind of surprised the stick broke where it did (right around where the stick flexes, not at the fuse point). Seems to indicate that I might be flexing the stick a bit too much. I just played pick up with the stick so I don't remember taking a good chop on the stick. I mean I've been told I shoot pretty damn hard for my size, but I think this is just bad luck. Or hopefully it is since I just bought 2 more 65 flex ST's yesterday.

Or this goes to support my bad luck historically with Eastons - never had one last a full season in rep hockey except my first synergy back in the day when they had just come out...

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:09 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker10 View Post
Hey all,

So I was down at the Pro Hockey Life killing some time, looking at sticks. Being a bit on the short/light side of things(5'8", 165-ish lbs), I checked out some int. sized Bauers. They are the right length, and I liked the whippier flex of them...

Naturally the stick guy comes over and asks if he can help. I remarked that the int's. seem to fit me fine. He said yeah, but I'd break one in no time...and of course directed me to the $250 price range senior stick rack.

Now, I'm not taking any huge slappers, and there is a bit of hacking in the league I play in...would an int. stick be okay?

Thanks.
whoever that employee was, they should be fired...or just given less hours

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote