HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Sauer appreciation thread

Old
11-16-2010, 11:36 AM
NYRCC

vCash: 500
i'm late to the party on sauer. even as recent as this past offseason i was certain that others had passed him on the depth chart and that he wouldn't be making the big club anytime soon.

boy was i wrong.

there's no panic in his game. he's definitely one cool customer on the blue line and he looks so poised out there.

great to see, just hope he stays injury free.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
rangersfan111

he's going to be a solid second pairing defencemen... i like his game

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-___(maybe this is where mcilrath goes)__
Sauer-McDonough

i like it a lot

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You'll see him start scrapping later in the year when he's more comfortable.
If there's one thing I don't want, its Sauer fighting. I know he's tough and had a few fights in the A, but we don't need it. Didn't he get hurt fighting for the Pack?

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Ive been hoping for the better part of 3 years that he would make the team.

When he hit Hartford he reminded me of Girardi the year before, and I think he can be a similar player to Dan, he just had to wait a lot longer to get his shot.

Obviously injuries held him back, and I think he wasn't given a fair shot in camp last year as Torts was looking for a PP QB and that RD spot became a fight between Gilroy and Sanguinetti.

Anyways, I'm glad he's here, especially after people were wondering why we even extended a QO to him in the off-season and I hope he stays.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:30 PM
JimmyStart*

People need to realize every year is a brand new year where some guys are going to acheive more than they ever have before. Plus Sauer was injured not underdeveloped or bad. Never understood why people wanted to just write him off while we still had him. Wait till this last year to see if he develops or trade him for some garbage player or pick?

Amazing how many people with horrible asset management skills would have traded him for a 6th or something.

I saw plenty hoping and expecting him to make the team and play well. I know I got criticized a few times for having his name in a few posts.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
People need to realize every year is a brand new year where some guys are going to acheive more than they ever have before. Plus Sauer was injured not underdeveloped or bad. Never understood why people wanted to just write him off while we still had him. Wait till this last year to see if he develops or trade him for some garbage player or pick?

Amazing how many people with horrible asset management skills would have traded him for a 6th or something.

I saw plenty hoping and expecting him to make the team and play well. I know I got criticized a few times for having his name in a few posts.
Why are you surprised? Fans always seem to rate/rank players based on projected play/value, not their present day NHL readiness or actual position on the depth chart.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 11-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McDonough

i like it a lot
i'm on this page. Looking forward to it and it's going to happen real soon. Not to mention that Rozsival is a pretty good stop gap in that hole. Also add Valentenko and some pretty nice depth in that mix

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:47 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-McDonough

i like it a lot
In a few years, it should be like this:

Staal-UFA PMD(Hopefully Burns)
MDZ-McIlrath
McD/Sauer-Girardi

Someone will be moved out. We can't have just one PMD.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post

I don't know if it's shiny prospect syndrome or anything like that. It's just that in the past few years we've been saying Player "X" should look to break through soon, and then for whatever reason it doesn't happen and that player's window to make it closes. Players like Immonen, Baranka, Sanguinetti, and Byers to name a few who just didn't work out and looked (from our perspective at least) like they could have been serviceable.

So mainly, I wanted him to make it and thought he could, but it didn't seem like the organization did.

My 2 cents.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:41 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
I don't know if it's shiny prospect syndrome or anything like that. It's just that in the past few years we've been saying Player "X" should look to break through soon, and then for whatever reason it doesn't happen and that player's window to make it closes. Players like Immonen, Baranka, Sanguinetti, and Byers to name a few who just didn't work out and looked (from our perspective at least) like they could have been serviceable.

So mainly, I wanted him to make it and thought he could, but it didn't seem like the organization did.

My 2 cents.
Yea I guess it probably is mainly attributed to people getting jaded. Even the ones the do look great like CHerry something always seems to happen. Seems like those days are gone for now though just look at that team. DUbs, Artie, Cally, Sauer, MDZ, Staal, Girardi, Hank, Step. Damn. Half the team with more on the way. Even Boyle was taken on as a rookie project and Prust was a throw in who both developed big time since coming here. ALways nice to see guys overachieve

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Pizza

In thinking back to Sauer's draft year, I remember Sather commenting that he felt Sauer could have been a 1st round pick. He had some fairly serious issues with his hip and one leg being longer than the other or something. I remember thinking to myself "wow all that and we still drafted him in the second round"

There have been a number of stories circulating over the years that speak to the strength of Sauer's character and positive out look.

I'm really glad he's making a case for himself in New York.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:11 PM
asparkoflife

Man has he been solid. I think he leads the team in +/- now.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
NYR Viper

Another great game. 2 fights and a very physical game. Impressive.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Torts is handling the kid very cautiously in his rookie year, and he isnt getting any younger, but if we can get a good 3-4 RFA price years out of this kid it will be another good draft pick coming out of the post-lockout era.

I think he could have been playing here perhaps the last 2 years, but he kind of got shafted by Gilroy and Kalinen signings.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

His physical game was quieting down for a few games, but he was very good again tonight. I'm a huge Sauer fan. I see a lot of Girardi's rookie season in him. He seems to read the play well and jump in at the right times too.

I've said this before, but his lower half looks so much like Jagr and he has a very powerful stride.

I really hope he doesn't get traded at some point. We need what he brings and for his cap-hit more than anything at this point in our team's development process.

For example, I'd rather give up a 2nd round pick, and honestly, maybe even a 1st in a deal to get Richards before I'd want to give up Sauer. Some will go off the deep end saying that's falling love with your own prospects and overhyping him, but he's such a heady player, and I think he fits in perfectly with the likes of Stepan, Anisimov, Dubi, Cally leading this team in the future. I hope he's a Ranger for a very long time.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
Man has he been solid. I think he leads the team in +/- now.
I had to look that up and he I realized is. He's a respecatable and quiet +7. He's handling his role really well and that +/- makes me more impressed with what he's done. The dude's so composed. Nothing rattles or shakes him away from his game to where he loses focus.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
If there's one thing I don't want, its Sauer fighting. I know he's tough and had a few fights in the A, but we don't need it.
tonight must've been hell for you.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
If there's one thing I don't want, its Sauer fighting. I know he's tough and had a few fights in the A, but we don't need it. Didn't he get hurt fighting for the Pack?

This kid is a bulldog.

He hasn't even scratched his surface yet. I think he's going to surprise some people with this puck-skills. Specifically, creating plays..

Fighting is another wonderful aspect to his game.

Not because he's a great fighter. More because he's willing. He's capable. The style of hockey he plays is going to piss off our opposition

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Well consider our defensive depth going forward (thinking forward, ranked by current value):

Left Defense - Current Left Defense - Future Right Defense - Current Right Defense - Expiring Right Defense - Future
Marc Staal Ryan McDonagh Daniel Girardi Michal Rozsival Dylan McIlrath
Michael Del Zotto Pavel Valentenko Michael Sauer Steve Eminger Tomas Kundratek
Mikhail Pashnin Matt Gilroy Daniel Maggio

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

imho sauer has been our 4th best defenseman all season long....thats quite remarkable for a rookie.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I love Sauer's grit. He has showed it since pre-season... He dosen't accept **** around our crease.

He's also a steady and reliable D-man which is great.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Torts on Michael Sauer, who had 2 fights and 12 PIM in 1st period: "He certainly grows on you the way he's handled himself"
http://twitter.com/thenyrangers/status/6921137233592320

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 05:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
His physical game was quieting down for a few games, but he was very good again tonight. I'm a huge Sauer fan. I see a lot of Girardi's rookie season in him. He seems to read the play well and jump in at the right times too.

I've said this before, but his lower half looks so much like Jagr and he has a very powerful stride.

I really hope he doesn't get traded at some point. We need what he brings and for his cap-hit more than anything at this point in our team's development process.

For example, I'd rather give up a 2nd round pick, and honestly, maybe even a 1st in a deal to get Richards before I'd want to give up Sauer. Some will go off the deep end saying that's falling love with your own prospects and overhyping him, but he's such a heady player, and I think he fits in perfectly with the likes of Stepan, Anisimov, Dubi, Cally leading this team in the future. I hope he's a Ranger for a very long time.
He fits in perfectly with that group of players. Heck, aside from Gilroy, this whole defense fits with this physical approach. MDZ has never shied away from playing a physical game, you know what you get from Staal and Girardi, and Eminger and Sauer both bring (as Torts describes it) "jam".

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Even the Calgary media has some love for Sauer

Quote:
Michael Sauer angered the Flames in the first period by belting Calgary LW Stefan Meyer in the numbers behind the Rangers net. Tom Kostopoulos challenged Sauer on the next shift. The two dropped the gloves, with Sauer quickly landing the takedown. The feud continued after Sauer cleanly crunched Kostopoulos into the boards late in the first. Meyer stepped in to take care of business. Once again, Sauer handled the challenge himself admirably.
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...tml?id=3869048

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:13 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Sauer in now my favorite Ranger defenseman. He's such a gritty, solid player back there. He's mean streak is awesome.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote