HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Predators talk

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2010, 07:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
Wow, I thought Id read it all, here is an article from Toronto saying that the Leafs could stand to be more like The Predators.

Of course it has a few back handed compliments and the Leaf fans are saying the same old things in the user comments, but it is well worth a few minutes of your time.
On one hand, we have the fifth best record since the lockout, and average 99 points a season.

On the other, we're "mediocre," and do it the way all mediocre teams do it...by trapping.

Old
11-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Soundgarden

I love the fact that they say that we are "mediocre" like we just happened to stumble into a 100 point season, and several playoff rounds.

Old
11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
Buffalo wins off of "brutal" Hamhuis giveaway HERE

Old
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Buffalo wins off of "brutal" Hamhuis giveaway HERE
I don't think it's really fair to call that brutal when Vanek lifted his stick and the puck was bouncing. And where was the Canuck player who was covering Myers? Where was Hamhuis's D partner? That just looked like a bad luck play to me. If the puck gets past Myers then Vancouver has an odd man rush. You gotta take risks like that in OT. He probably should have corralled puck first before swatting at it though.

Old
11-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I love the fact that they say that we are "mediocre" like we just happened to stumble into a 100 point season, and several playoff rounds.
It's because nashville keeps flying under the radar. The team just outworks opponents for wins and thats why I watch. I'm a leaf fan aswell so tonight is going to be great to watch as a fan of both. I just hope webber doesn't drop too many bombs, our shot blockers might just step away. haha

Old
11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I don't think it's really fair to call that brutal when Vanek lifted his stick and the puck was bouncing. And where was the Canuck player who was covering Myers? Where was Hamhuis's D partner? That just looked like a bad luck play to me. If the puck gets past Myers then Vancouver has an odd man rush. You gotta take risks like that in OT. He probably should have corralled puck first before swatting at it though.
thats why I put it in quotations, Im quoting the story. Looked like a bad bounce to me too, still didnt diminish my joy of seeing the Canucks lose.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:46 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Wow, I thought Id read it all, here is an article from Toronto saying that the Leafs could stand to be more like The Predators.
In reality, the leafs being more like the Preds wouldn't satisfy leaf-nation. Media/fans would be all over the leafs for 5 straight 1st round exits.

100 point seasons don't carry near as meaning as they used to-- since the introduction of the overtime loss point, and shootout. You can finish 7 of 15 and still have 100 points (us last year). 7/15 is close to an average season. But seasons don't really matter, post-seasons do.

Old
11-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
In reality, the leafs being more like the Preds wouldn't satisfy leaf-nation. Media/fans would be all over the leafs for 5 straight 1st round exits.

100 point seasons don't carry near as meaning as they used to-- since the introduction of the overtime loss point, and shootout. You can finish 7 of 15 and still have 100 points (us last year). 7/15 is close to an average season. But seasons don't really matter, post-seasons do.
That kind of depends on the market you're in.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
12-02-2010, 09:34 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

General Predators talk

I'd like a thread for just general observations and Predators talk. We end up getting off topic a bunch in the GDT and others and thought this would be a good place when you have a comment that doesn't really need its own thread.

I'll start.

After all the talk of how bad we've sucked lately, as of this morning we're 1 point out of the playoffs. If we can string together a few wins we're right back in the thick of things.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:01 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

on top of that, we have 3 games in hand on the ducks and only 2 fewer points.

furthermore, we have 14 games in dec. should would be nice to pull a record of at least 9-5. we are 1-0 so far. need to stockpile some points as we still have 1 west coast and 2 west canada trips where points are hard to come by.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Webersmashpuck

We are 1 point away from the playoffs and 3 points away from having the 2nd highest amount of points in the Western conference. Its going to be tight this year.

Old
12-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
What was kinda scary was that we were in 13th place in the West prior to Tuesday night's game. With a pair of wins, we were in a 5-way tie for 6th place last night after our game before settling down a spot when Anaheim got two points vs. Florida a few hours later.

The West is incredibly tight this year. Consistency is going to be key moving forward...

Old
12-02-2010, 12:11 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
furthermore, we have 14 games in dec. should would be nice to pull a record of at least 9-5.
Half are at home and half away. If we beat the teams we should beat (NYI, NJ, Fla, and Ott), then I think this could be a good month for us.

Old
12-02-2010, 12:21 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
What was kinda scary was that we were in 13th place in the West prior to Tuesday night's game. With a pair of wins, we were in a 5-way tie for 6th place last night after our game before settling down a spot when Anaheim got two points vs. Florida a few hours later.

The West is incredibly tight this year. Consistency is going to be key moving forward...
That is the key, and it's something I've not yet seen (at least the good kind).

Even when they win, there is a lot to be concerned about.

Case in point... A good team takes advantage of a team being undisciplined more times than not and makes them pay by scoring on the man advantage.

Last night? Nada.

There was some prime opportunities to put the foot on the throat and win outright. While Nashville won, they did so by playing a rope-a-dope game good enough to win on points (to borrow boxing terminology).

Some of that is fine and can be a learning experience for a team.

Too much of can lead to doubts among the players, lack of a killer instinct, gripping the stick too tight, no margin for error, lack of identity, first round playoff exits (if you're lucky), lots of talk about being resilient, etc.

There are a couple of teams that resemble those remarks, but one certainly comes to mind.

While it's fine to tread water from time to time, you can't do it forever and expect to reach the finish line.

Old
12-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Legionnaire11

been offline for a few days, but thought I'd actually bring something positive in light of two Preds victories.

I'm liking this KEG line, Kostitsyn - Goc - Erat. They seem to be creating a lot of chances, Erat looks like he's hustling a little bit out there now. Could give us a second scoring option (after sully-o'reilly-hornqvist) and another line with some sort of chemistry. Goc's surge may be the key to getting these two talented wingers going. Another euro connection similar to the old vowel line, but a little more talent.

That would put our 3rd line as Wilson - Legwand - Dumont. And keep Spaling - Smithson - Tootoo/Ward as the 4th. Then Lombardi throws a wrench into it if/when he comes back, but maybe we actually see a trade made at that point involving 2-3 of Ward, Tootoo, Legwand and Dumont (if they waive their NMC's of course).

Old
12-02-2010, 02:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think we'd see a trade, might see some more healthy scratches, if anything this injury bug has shown us, how you need depth.

Old
12-02-2010, 02:47 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Another point in the Preds favor is how front loaded their schedule is with road games. Last week they had played the fewest home games of any NHL team. If they can get some home mojo working, that can seriously help build up a swing in the right direction, provided the injuries lessen on top of that.

Old
12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Back in mid October of 2009, Baker Curb Racing and the Preds announced a marketing partnership. Nashville Predators Corporate Partnership for the press release if you forgot about it.

Anybody know what, if anything, became of that? Is it still in effect, quietly ended, or what? They made a pretty big deal about it last year, but I don't recall hearing anything (other than them bringing in a show car or something) since then.

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Old
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Back in mid October of 2009, Baker Curb Racing and the Preds announced a marketing partnership. Nashville Predators Corporate Partnership for the press release if you forgot about it.

Anybody know what, if anything, became of that? Is it still in effect, quietly ended, or what? They made a pretty big deal about it last year, but I don't recall hearing anything (other than them bringing in a show car or something) since then.

Josh Cooper from the TNn is currently doing a live chat...he might be able to investigate that and get an official answer for ya...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20.../1028/SPORTS02

Old
12-02-2010, 04:41 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:

You can call or email Kat (the corp account rep for the Preds)... She would be able to answer it for you.

Old
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Josh Cooper from the TNn is currently doing a live chat...he might be able to investigate that and get an official answer for ya...
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
You can call or email Kat (the corp account rep for the Preds)... She would be able to answer it for you.

My question apparently didn't make the cut with Cooper. Oh well.

So, I sent an email over to the Preds as suggested. If there is anything interesting, I'll post.

Just kind of curious as to what happened....

Old
12-02-2010, 05:44 PM
utmfisher19

Quote:
So, I sent an email over to the Preds as suggested. If there is anything interesting, I'll post.
If she doesn't answer, let me know. I will text her (or ask when I see her on Saturday).

Old
12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
If she doesn't answer, let me know. I will text her (or ask when I see her on Saturday).
Thanks, but I just got my answer. My email was forwarded up the food chain and I was told that the partnership with BC Racing is still in place.

Mystery solved.

Old
12-02-2010, 07:41 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Josh Cooper finally reports on paid attendance levels. Things are looking good, even by my standards for attendance.

Old
12-02-2010, 09:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Funny Brady and I were just talking about that last night. We both thought paid would be way under, glad to see we were wrong.

Closed Thread